Pundits - who are the worst?

whelk

Nothing gets us going like a pundit saying something uncomplimentary about us regardless whether true or not.

But who annoys you the most?

Who actually gives good insight?

Number 1 and unchallenged for 20 years is undoubtedly Garth Crooks.

I actually think Jenas does a decent job and apparently in running to replace Lineker.

Also I have irrational dislike of Jake Humphrey as a host.

Some journalists can be excellent pundits. Really like Rory Smith and Jacob Steinberg. Although cant stand the pompous Henry Winter or that fat bloke with beard from Daily Mail who name escapes me.

Carragher squealing excitably ‘you little dancer’ when Salah scores is probably an all time low but he does seem to understand the game.

If we could expand this to commentators Clive Tyldesley on ITV commentating on Ingerland games annoys the whatsit out of me, it was no surprise that he made a pigs ear of commentating the Viking Axe throwing on Ant & Decs Saturday take away!

Yup Garth Crooks spouts some cobblers.

Chris Sutton is a funny one though, one minute you’re thinking - are you thick? Subject changes and you’re thinking - gosh I hadn’t thought of it like that.

Roy Keane doing an impression of Roy Keane. His shtick is entertaining enough but his analysis is boring as ****, consisting of attacking the lack of leaders, characters, hunger, desire. Guess he’s marmite and absolutely adored by the “get it forward” crowd.

Edited by shurlock

Believe it or not Claridge says good things about us.

When you look at how one eyed Carragher is in his co- commentary, considering he is a hero of the Blue Few down the road and seemingly a bit mad Claridge does talk some sense, probably why I haven't heard him on Radio 5 of late........guessing he's on that talk squit these days.

I've always found Lawrenson particularly depressing. He's miserable and charmless and seems to have a chip on his shoulder about Saints, from his playing days in the 70s and 89s, when we were a bogey team for Brighton and Liverpool.

I have always hated Mark 'at the murment' Lawrenson. But unfortunately in his time with Brighton (77-81) Saints were not exactly a bogey team. They drew 4, lost 2 and won 1.

I have always hated Mark 'at the murment' Lawrenson. But unfortunately in his time with Brighton (77-81) Saints were not exactly a bogey team. They drew 4, lost 2 and won 1.

Actually checking 11 v 11 - Brighton drew 3, lost 2 and won 1. He made his league debut for them at the Dell in August 77 in a 1-1 draw

Savage makes my ears bleed to such a degree that, despite being a huge football fan, I simply wont/can't listen to a half hour football show on the radio on my drive to work.

I can't stand listening to Clinton Morrison struggling to find the words an average five yer old could muster. If you can't form sentences you shouldn't be paid to do so by the BBC, no matter how much you want to appeal to the yoof.

Danny Higginbottom provides the most detailed (long winded) explanations about every aspect of the game, but in doing so, he just reveals that, despite being a professionally footballer most of his life, he knows absolutely nothing about the game.

Garth Crooks brain works so slowly that you have to wait an eternity for him to get the words out of his mouth that tell us all what we already knew about five minutes ago. I just don't have the patience.

I like Steve Claridge and Jemaine Jenas. They both seem to understand the game, do some research (watch a few games), articulate their opinion well and never simply repeat what the commentator has just said 5 second before.

Most of the commentators/pundits drive me nuts with their endless chat, meaningless stats and tired cliches but of particular note I would point fingers at the pompous verbal diarrhoea inflicted on us by Peter Drury and the endless gassing by Darren "breathe through the ears" Fletcher. The best innovation in football in the last ten years is the facility on Amazon Prime to TURN OFF the commentary.

Most of the commentators/pundits drive me nuts with their endless chat, meaningless stats and tired cliches but of particular note I would point fingers at the pompous verbal diarrhoea inflicted on us by Peter Drury and the endless gassing by Darren "breathe through the ears" Fletcher. The best innovation in football in the last ten years is the facility on Amazon Prime to TURN OFF the commentary.

I can’t stand Guy Mowbray as a commentator.

but of particular note I would point fingers at the pompous verbal diarrhoea inflicted on us by Peter Drury

Another vote for Drury. Unlistenable. If one of the so-called big teams is playing he'll just go on&on&on&on about them and scream out the name of any star player when the ball goes anywhere near them. If they successfully complete a 10 yard pass he'll cream himself.

Drury does a lot of the commentaries for the world feed. Thankfully here (USA) this often gets over ridden and we get Arlo White instead. He's fine.

*warning* Drury is doing the Lpool v West Ham game today. That'll be shocking.

Tyldesly does my nut in. Never shuts up and loves a big club.

Any chance to hear Tim Vickery talk about football should be taken. He’s not really a commentator / pundit but gives great insights into the game as a whole - including broader social aspects. Unfortunately he only covers South America so he’s a bit niche.

Any chance to hear Tim Vickery talk about football should be taken. He’s not really a commentator / pundit but gives great insights into the game as a whole - including broader social aspects. Unfortunately he only covers South America so he’s a bit niche.

The way he pronounces some South American words is just glorious. Could listen to him all day.

Oh christ!

"OHHHH HE'S WON THE GAME!!! THE GAME OF GAMES!! THE GAME OF HIS WILDEST DREAMS OF A GAME OF GAMES!!!"

STFU!

Yeah - if West Ham are 3-0 up he'll be going on about 'can Lpool get the most famous of comebacks here, we know they can, who can forget.... SALAH! what a throw-in that was, could this be the start of the comeback'. Puke.

This is a great resource - tells you who the commentators are going to be every week:

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/02/21/epl-commentator-assignments-on-nbc-sports-gameweek-27/

THIS

Another vote for Tim Vickery. He pops up on the World Service sometimes. Their football show is worth a listen because it covers all sorts of leagues, Pat Nevin is normally on there. He's pretty good and also has a decent taste in music.

Pat Nevin is very good.

Nothing gets us going like a pundit saying something uncomplimentary about us regardless whether true or not.

But who annoys you the most?

Who actually gives good insight?

Number 1 and unchallenged for 20 years is undoubtedly Garth Crooks.

I actually think Jenas does a decent job and apparently in running to replace Lineker.

Also I have irrational dislike of Jake Humphrey as a host.

Some journalists can be excellent pundits. Really like Rory Smith and Jacob Steinberg. Although cant stand the pompous Henry Winter or that fat bloke with beard from Daily Mail who name escapes me.

Carragher squealing excitably ‘you little dancer’ when Salah scores is probably an all time low but he does seem to understand the game.

Slightly off topic, but is this what you were thinking about at 6:45am?

Pat Nevin is very good.
Agree. One of the best around.

Tom Heaton was on 5live last weekend in a pundit type role and was excellent as well, really helps when you have a current player - so much interesting stuff about goalkeeping that most fans would never even consider.

Agree. One of the best around.

Tom Heaton was on 5live last weekend in a pundit type role and was excellent as well, really helps when you have a current player - so much interesting stuff about goalkeeping that most fans would never even consider.

Rob Green seems pretty decent on 5Live. However, he was with the old horse, Alan Green!!!

Claridge is good. You can tell he likes football and he thinks about it. Haven't heard enough of Vickery, but he can string two words together so that's a big positive. I was quite impressed with Clinton Morrison, but I'll have to listen again as he's universally castigated so maybe I got his youtube show reel. I liked Ruud Gullit. Most of them don't have anything that makes me think they have any idea about anything to say. I'm unimpressed by Jenas: I think he tries very hard but only sounds like he's trying to keep everyone happy. Maybe Nevin's improved. I thought he should be very good but he did seem to spout platitudes and have a bias towards the teams he played for. Sutton can be interesting.

Not sure what to make of Owen Hargreaves but I just find him irritating.

I quite like him. It's like stream of consciousness beat poetry. Just a jumble of short unconnected sentences devoid of any semblance of edge.

"Big fan of Redmond. What he's been doing. Technical. Is that a bird? High quality. Bundesliga. I had the lasagne. Food is good. These fans are making a noise. Singing. Chris Wilder. What a great job. Tactical. So talented. Orange juice."

He's been doing punditry for years yet I don't know a single thing about him or one opinion that he holds. He's the ultimate enigma.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I have a real problem with Dave 'Bluh bluh bluh' Merrington. he makes the cardinal pundit sin of talking over the lead commentator and just comes out with the bleedin' obvious more often then not. "He's got to do better than that, Adam" just when Adam is trying to explain formations or something useful. Surely that's his job? Vickie Sparks makes me watch even a highlights reel on mute - but she isn't the worst. I don't mind Clinton Morrisson (he is on everything these days) and even Merse will come out with something that is quite insightful but you have to pick through a heap of word salad to get there.

The best in the business is Gary Neville and if I could pair him with the late Peter Brackley then that would be my ideal combo.