Pundits - who are the worst?

whelk

I have a real problem with Dave 'Bluh bluh bluh' Merrington. he makes the cardinal pundit sin of talking over the lead commentator and just comes out with the bleedin' obvious more often then not. "He's got to do better than that, Adam" just when Adam is trying to explain formations or something useful.

Those 2 plums on local radio are ****ing awful. Alan Partridge tribute act. Merrington is about 20 years behind the times. And don’t get me started on the planks that text in despite only listening on the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carragher’s smugness, combined with a certain exhibitionism and immaturity, is utterly infuriating. But In mitigation his analysis isn’t too bad.

Roy Keane is a perma-irritable thug who seems unable to brook any challenge to his opinion without taking it personally. Some people find it amusing but it just becomes really rather tedious.

All in all he’s got to be the least incisive pundit in terms of analysis and is simply booked to appear in order to occupy the same role as the resident psychopath in any series of Big Brother.

Find journalists generally better, even when biassed. Just more in depth and not stating the extremely obvious as insight.

I agree. Rory Smith on the Monday night club (5Live) is decent. Mina Rzouki, Julien Laurens, Raphael Honigstein on the European football show provide excellent insight. As does Guillem Balagué. They make it their business to find stuff out, learn stuff and provide opinion. The ex pros just offer opinion and because they have played before they think they are right all the time...usually they don't know their arse from the elbow and it is rare they offer any insight that only a pro could provide. Edited by Chez

Those 2 plums on local radio are ****ing awful. Alan Partridge tribute act. Merrington is about 20 years behind the times. And don’t get me started on the planks that text in despite only listening on the radio.

I beg to differ, they are far more listenable than most commentary teams who are usually too busy getting excited over the opposition to pay Saints any attention. Also they are head and shoulders above any local radio commentary I have had the misfortune to hear which is usually amateurish at best, and nails-on-chalkboard irritating at worst - case in point being Solent commentary for all the other clubs' coverage.

God, there’s another entry tonight. Who on earth is the annoying bird giving her “expert “ analysis on the Arsenal game? She’s played and managed as many top flight games as me, the dumbing down of football coverage continues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Karen Carney I believe, still not as annoying as Vicky Sparks on MOTD though.

God, there’s another entry tonight. Who on earth is the annoying bird giving her “expert “ analysis on the Arsenal game? She’s played and managed as many top flight games as me, the dumbing down of football coverage continues.

If you didn't know that it was a woman it sounds like an excited 12 year old boy commentating.

I beg to differ, they are far more listenable than most commentary teams who are usually too busy getting excited over the opposition to pay Saints any attention. Also they are head and shoulders above any local radio commentary I have had the misfortune to hear which is usually amateurish at best, and nails-on-chalkboard irritating at worst - case in point being Solent commentary for all the other clubs' coverage.

Totally agree, think Adam Blackmore in particular does a great job covering Saints.

Is top flight games a requirement of a good pundit?

Many of the worst have hundreds.

Is top flight games a requirement of a good pundit?

Many of the worst have hundreds.

Managing or playing, yes. They’re meant to give an insight into the game that commentators or presenters can’t. The bird last night just told us what we already knew, there was no tactical analysis, no experience of similar situations she could retell, no idea of the players or managers thought process. It was just “Arsenal need to defend this corner better than the last one” , seeing as the Greeks had scored from the last one, I think we’d worked that out ourselves. Or “Arsenal are playing better now”.It was woeful, and all in an annoying voice that sounded like a 13 year old that had won a “pundit for a game” competition.

There’s is absolutely no chance that had she possessed a penis, she’d have got that job.

Any and all with a connection to Liverpool. And one of their worst crimes is that they seem to think everyone has a soft spot for Liverpool. TBH I might if they and the press didn't go on and on and on and on about them.

But if you can include him as a pundit (though not sure you can), Jim White. What a sycophantic ball gargler.

Played for Chelsea and England and has an MBE, but still Duckie knows more about football than she does because he has a penis, apparently.

I know as much about playing men’s football to a professional standard as she does. Geoff Boycott played for England, doesn’t qualify him to be co commentator for a Europa league game. It’s tokenism that demeans them , they’ve got the job because they’re birds, not through their talent . I thought that sort of sexism was a thing of the past, but clearly not.

Regardless, she talked cliche's and drivel, I had to mute the sound.

Couldn’t agree more. ****ing woeful.

Summed up with her “don’t hit the near man” from Arsenals last corner. “Near man”!!!! What the **** is the “near man”. First man, you stupid women.

That female commentator in the Arsenal-Olympiacos game was hopelessly out of her depth and her jarring diction and shrill prosody were unlistenable. It is an inescapable conclusion that she was there not on merit, but because of her Identity.

Not all female pundits are bad. However the sports media, with their forced-diversity policies, are undermining those that are there on merit by shoehorning some woefully inadequate people into roles.

Edited by adrian lord

Played for Chelsea and England and has an MBE, but still Duckie knows more about football than she does because he has a penis, apparently.

Not that I agree with Ducky’s 1920s view of the women folk but she hasn’t played for Chelsea and England. She has played for Chelsea Women and England Women, both of whom would struggle in the Isthmian League.

Playing devil's advocate here, but is any of this different to Denise Lewis or Sally Gunnell commentating on men's athletics?

They wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the men in their respective events so should they be able to pass judgement on people doing the same sport faster and better?

They have plenty of women co-commentating on tennis but most of them would struggle to win a game against a decent male pro.

I find most football commentators and pundits quite annoying at times and couldn't really care less if it's a man or a woman.

Playing devil's advocate here, but is any of this different to Denise Lewis or Sally Gunnell commentating on men's athletics?

They wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the men in their respective events so should they be able to pass judgement on people doing the same sport faster and better?

They have plenty of women co-commentating on tennis but most of them would struggle to win a game against a decent male pro.

I find most football commentators and pundits quite annoying at times and couldn't really care less if it's a man or a woman.

Not really comparable as elite level Women's Athletics events take place in the the same arenas, the same time with similar pressures and exposure. Women's football is nowhere near men's but the athletic disciplines are much closer and have been for some time. The men are still the bigger stars but not by such a wide margin.

Gunnell and Denise and Jessica Ennis became household names after success at the highest level, something a woman footballer is a long way from achieving.

Edited by CB Fry

Regardless, she talked cliche's and drivel, I had to mute the sound.

Couldn’t agree more. ****ing woeful.

Summed up with her “don’t hit the near man” from Arsenals last corner. “Near man”!!!! What the **** is the “near man”. First man, you stupid women.

I'm not looking to make a case for the women commentators and analysts but they don't have a monoploy on cliches, and ridiculous phrases.

Was it Hanson who coined the ridiculous "early doors" phrase ? And Atkinson or Venables came up with "do-able" ?

I'm not looking to make a case for the women commentators and analysts but they don't have a monoploy on cliches, and ridiculous phrases.

Was it Hanson who coined the ridiculous "early doors" phrase ? And Atkinson or Venables came up with "do-able" ?

Hanson, Venables & Big Ron clearly deserved their place in the studio & were there on merit. All 3 were well respected in the game .

These birds are there solely because they’re birds.

I reckon Duckhunter has had some serious rejection from women over the years, he clearly has issues with them

;)

Whilst I know you post in jest, I think the Duck maketh a more than valid point, women should be in employment positions on merit, not on political correctness. It's not only sport either, politics is guilty of promoting women purely on their gender, personally I think it's a bit demeaning to women that they sit in positions where patently there are other much better qualified people.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Whilst I know you post in jest, I think the Duck maketh a more than valid point, women should be in employment positions on merit, not on political correctness. It's not only sport either, politics is guilty of promoting women purely on their gender, personally I think it's a bit demeaning to women that they sit in positions where patently there are other much better qualified people.

I agree that people should get jobs on merit, but when you retire from playing and want to be a media pundit how do you get that job unless someone gives you a chance? How do you get better at it unless you are given time in the job? As has been mention, there are a number of male pundits who have had long careers despite being poor.

God, I had the misfortune to listen to Merrington and that other plank today driving home from work. I only heard the first 30 mins of second half but that was enough. It’s the 21st century ffs, talk about dinosaurs. Dave moaning on about getting it forward quicker, then making a right chump of himself when Ralph changed formation. “Is he trying to keep the score down” was his initial shout, before it dawned on the clown that pushing the full backs on is actually an attacking move. They add absolutely nothing to the game, are stuck in the past and really need to move on. Reporting on the Dog & Duck V The Red Lion for hospital radio is about their level.

It`s probably been said already but I find Carragher and Gary Neville the most annoying - I have to turn the sound down -it`s not so much what they say but the way they say it with their God awful whiny northern accents.

It`s probably been said already but I find Carragher and Gary Neville the most annoying - I have to turn the sound down -it`s not so much what they say but the way they say it with their God awful whiny northern accents.

Carragher yes but I find Gary Neville just about the best around. He’s fair to everyone, even when they are playing United, and he talks a lot of sense I think.

Roy Keane. Absolute ****. Anybody see his outburst about Jordan Pickford and De Gea, yesterday?

Sky presenter: "We can show you some statistics about Jordan, Roy".

Keane: "I don't need to see your statistics, I know that he's not a good keeper".

He then went on a rant about De Gea, saying "As a manager, or a player, you’d kill him. I swear, it’s crazy. You talk about people being too clever. It just takes too long, what is he waiting for? If you’re going to make a decision, at least make it quickly. These are huge moments for United in terms of trying to get top four. You’ve got your experienced goalkeeper, what is he waiting for? There’s almost a bit of arrogance to it, ‘look at me, give me time'. They almost think they’re outfield players. I would have lynched him at half time, I’d have no time for that carry on. I know keepers can make mistakes, but there’s no excuse for that."

Roy Keane. Absolute ****. Anybody see his outburst about Jordan Pickford and De Gea, yesterday?

Keane: "I don't need to see your statistics, I know that he's not a good keeper".

He then went on a rant about De Gea, saying "As a manager, or a player, you’d kill him. I swear, it’s crazy. You talk about people being too clever. It just takes too long, what is he waiting for? If you’re going to make a decision, at least make it quickly. These are huge moments for United in terms of trying to get top four. You’ve got your experienced goalkeeper, what is he waiting for? There’s almost a bit of arrogance to it, ‘look at me, give me time'. They almost think they’re outfield players. I would have lynched him at half time, I’d have no time for that carry on. I know keepers can make mistakes, but there’s no excuse for that."

What do want from a pundit? Not more statistics about angles and geometry and in depth bs analysis from uber geeks who never played and think it is all fascinating (eg Michael Cox- Zonal Marking) or the bland “he’ll be unhappy with that”?

It’s show business and Keane plays a role and when he is genuinely angry it is entertainment.

I love football but ultimately not enough to talk about that doesn’t soon become repetitive and dull (see also Saintsweb)

Both Keane and Souness were right in their appraisal though.

Keane's got a point about Pickford. Technically all over the place at times, often poor decision making. Bails himself out with some cracking saves but he's another one who's been overrated. Henderson at Sheffield United is better.

Thing is mush, if he was ranting about one of our keepers you would support him...

Pony

He’s absolutely spot on.

I love listening to Keane.......not sure I would want to be the guy asking him the questions mind :lol:

Jamie Redknapp is so annoying. In whiney school kid voice "Graeme, Graeme, don't you think Graeme" like he's begging Souness to agree to his usual boring view. Souness often has a look on his face like he wants to whack him one, especially after Redknapp has just slapped him on the thigh!!

Carragher is okay when talking any team apart from Liverpool. But utterly annoying with his "Mo Salah, you little dancer" or whatever it is he squeals.

I really like Gary Neville as a pundit and how he just says it as it is, even about Man Utd. Spot on the other week about that p*ick Pogba's agent. He offers very insightful knowledge and I enjoy listening to him.

I like Don Goodman co commentating on the Championship and lower league games along with Andy Hinchcliffe too and Lee Hendrie is quite a good pundit surprisingly.

The only woman for me who is good and deserves to be there on ability. Laura Woods, she is a babe but also a really good presenter too - she actually has talent and is knowledgable about the game but also very polite and respectful when interviewing people.

I like the Soccer Saturday A team too with Jeff, Merse is not the brightest but I like the fact he doesn't take himself seriously and self deprecates a lot but he talks sense too. Charlie Nicholas is very good too "Chaaannnce" - long pause then "gooaalllll". Thommo is quite good too at times and obviously Matt Le Tiss is just a legend anyway!

Chris Kamara is superb too, very funny and always amusing to listen to! I actually find Roy Keane very amusing too, his deadpan expression does make me laugh when he is moaning about something and the rest are laughing at him and you can see he is desperately trying not to smile. Again, honest and whether we like it or not, he is usually just saying the truth!

I actually find Roy Keane very amusing too, his deadpan expression does make me laugh when he is moaning about something and the rest are laughing at him and you can see he is desperately trying not to smile. Again, honest and whether we like it or not, he is usually just saying the truth!

He’s great imo.

I love this clip of him. The press suggest Robbie Keane won’t be available as his wife had just given birth.

http://

Jamie Redknapp is so annoying. In whiney school kid voice "Graeme, Graeme, don't you think Graeme" like he's begging Souness to agree to his usual boring view. Souness often has a look on his face like he wants to whack him one, especially after Redknapp has just slapped him on the thigh!!

Carragher is okay when talking any team apart from Liverpool. But utterly annoying with his "Mo Salah, you little dancer" or whatever it is he squeals.

I really like Gary Neville as a pundit and how he just says it as it is, even about Man Utd. Spot on the other week about that p*ick Pogba's agent. He offers very insightful knowledge and I enjoy listening to him.

I like Don Goodman co commentating on the Championship and lower league games along with Andy Hinchcliffe too and Lee Hendrie is quite a good pundit surprisingly.

The only woman for me who is good and deserves to be there on ability. Laura Woods, she is a babe but also a really good presenter too - she actually has talent and is knowledgable about the game but also very polite and respectful when interviewing people.

I like the Soccer Saturday A team too with Jeff, Merse is not the brightest but I like the fact he doesn't take himself seriously and self deprecates a lot but he talks sense too. Charlie Nicholas is very good too "Chaaannnce" - long pause then "gooaalllll". Thommo is quite good too at times and obviously Matt Le Tiss is just a legend anyway!

Chris Kamara is superb too, very funny and always amusing to listen to! I actually find Roy Keane very amusing too, his deadpan expression does make me laugh when he is moaning about something and the rest are laughing at him and you can see he is desperately trying not to smile. Again, honest and whether we like it or not, he is usually just saying the truth!

Laura woods as the interviewer is good. Laura woods as the radio pundit/host/anchor, is beyond terrible

The best part about Soccer Saturday is when an arm comes into view in the vicinity of Jeff Stelling’s ear.....