Coronavirus

whelk

From my experience in all this teachers have been the most precious. I work in a hospital I will be in every day that I am well, like those who work for the police, utilities, shops, food supply chain etc etc. If every one demands to stay at home there will be no food, power, water, people to look after the ill, to police the streets etc etc. I think there is some manning up needed here.

If you are old or vulnerable do what you have to do to keep safe, if you are not then minimise unnecessary contact but carry on doing what is needed to get through this. If you get it you will have a **** week but you will get over it.

I work in education and haven't heard much from teachers being "precious". We have had to watch constant warnings about avoiding large gatherings, while presiding over compulsory large gatherings all day every day, so, yes, we've been asking questions about that and pointing out that schools more than fulfill the criteria of places they've said to avoid.

Most teachers aren't talking about concern for themselves though, but that they are helping to spread the virus in a very uncontrolled way. Closing the schools isn't great for us on a personal level. I am having to put in far more work teaching from home than I do in a classroom and I'm fighting against constant technology failings at the same time. I have to strictly follow exactly the same timetable, logging on with classes at 8 in the morning and logging off at the end of the school day. As for demanding to stay at home, I would prefer to work from the school building, using their wifi, printers, coffee machine and empty classrooms, but the building is closed, so I'm home teaching in the lounge, next to my teenage kids who are trying to do their own schoolwork.

Most of us are currently grateful to be employed in a sector where we still get paid, unlike our friends who work in areas where they have been sent home and won't get paid.

My wife is still teaching, though plenty of the 'usual suspect' sick notes have decided to 'self isolate', putting alot of pressure on those still there (50-students in a class!). Also 250 kids out from the school yesterday, more today.

From my experience in all this teachers have been the most precious. I work in a hospital I will be in every day that I am well, like those who work for the police, utilities, shops, food supply chain etc etc. If every one demands to stay at home there will be no food, power, water, people to look after the ill, to police the streets etc etc. I think there is some manning up needed here.

If you are old or vulnerable do what you have to do to keep safe, if you are not then minimise unnecessary contact but carry on doing what is needed to get through this. If you get it you will have a **** week but you will get over it.

Not sure if this was directed at me? I am not claiming any particular privilege or snow flakiness - I'm merely offering to do what we were quite explicitly asked to do yesterday - work from home where possible. And for very good reasons, to help to slow the spread, and everything that goes with that.

I'm quite aware that a lot of people have to go into work for a whole lot of reasons, and fair play to them - I will still be at work - I will just be doing it from home. Just highlighting that there are employers who will happily go against public advice; presumably rogue employers was the first thing the behaviour scientists put that into their models?

I work in education and haven't heard much from teachers being "precious". We have had to watch constant warnings about avoiding large gatherings, while presiding over compulsory large gatherings all day every day, so, yes, we've been asking questions about that and pointing out that schools more than fulfill the criteria of places they've said to avoid.

The necessity to stop 'large gatherings' is to free up the emergency services that are used to police / provide first aid cover at these events.

There's not a constant need for emergency services at schools.

Just spoke to my brother who, with his wife, are self isolating for the 12 or 16 weeks, whichever it is. Trouble is their youngest daughter still goes to school so could come home any time and infect them.

Then your brother has clearly not followed the advice given - quelle surprise!

If a family member needs to 'self isolate' then the whole family should do so too - self isolation is currently being advised for anyone who is showing the symptoms of the virus or has come into contact with a known 'infected' person.

You should speak to him again and put him straight ;)

Just spoke to my brother who, with his wife, are self isolating for the 12 or 16 weeks, whichever it is. Trouble is their youngest daughter still goes to school so could come home any time and infect them.

If this is the UK then the government advice is for entire households to isolate for 14 days not for those people to send their kids to school.

So in your example its their kid infecting the school not the other way round.

Keep going on and on about schools though Soggy, keep going.

Edited by CB Fry

The necessity to stop 'large gatherings' is to free up the emergency services that are used to police / provide first aid cover at these events.

I have no idea about the UK. Here it was all about slowing down a very fast accelerating infection rate. The numbers were starting to leap and the emergency services couldn't cope with that kind of curve. Therefore, everyone now has to practice social distancing (which sounds about right for Norwegians anyway...). That flattens the curve and keeps the infection rate closer to what can be managed. In theory anyway.

It had nothing to do with policing events here, but as I said, here isn't there.

****ing Hell, they should send Soggy to Cobra meetings. He’s always “just spoken to”, somebody who has a new insight. His Brother, Doctor, mate at the local, Mrs Soggy, someone in Tesco. Funny how every single one of them backs up his theories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A number of shops are starting to refuse to handle cash transactions.

My dad is a cabbie with COPD (we’re trying our best to get him to stay in) and he won’t accept cash now. Card payments only and you have to sit in the back.

****ing Hell, they should send Soggy to Cobra meetings. He’s always “just spoken to”, somebody who has a new insight. His Brother, Doctor, mate at the local, Mrs Soggy, someone in Tesco. Funny how every single one of them backs up his theories.

Funnily enough, I am not the only one who thinks that the schools should shut. But then what does my GP know? I suppose you haven’t spoken to anybody at all about the current situation? I suppose of of your birds and chicks are too busy rolling joints and listening to Leon Russell?

I have no idea about the UK. Here it was all about slowing down a very fast accelerating infection rate. The numbers were starting to leap and the emergency services couldn't cope with that kind of curve. Therefore, everyone now has to practice social distancing (which sounds about right for Norwegians anyway...). That flattens the curve and keeps the infection rate closer to what can be managed. In theory anyway.

It had nothing to do with policing events here, but as I said, here isn't there.

As far as I know, it is all about slowing down the spread of the virus, as you say. I have not heard that it has anything to do with freeing up services.

Prof. Neil Ferguson, director of of the MRC Centre for Global Infectious Diseases says that “closing schools and universities would further reduce transmission.” But what does he know eh Duckie? Probably been reading my posts.

A leading teachers Union is also calling for schools to be closed.

You see, it is not just a few people on a football forum.

As far as I know, it is all about slowing down the spread of the virus, as you say. I have not heard that it has anything to do with freeing up services.

Unlike you not to listen!

Initially the ban on large events was to free up emergency services.

Now, large events and 'unnecessary' travel are being stopped in order to slow the spread of the virus.

In the future (it could be a day, week month), other avenues will be explored to slow the spread even further - like closing schools, shutting down public transport (or restricting numbers that can use it at any one time), imposing curfews etc.

It must be hard to keep up but I'm sure there'll be someone down the pub or across the road that can tell you what you want to hear.

Prof. Neil Ferguson, director of of the MRC Centre for Global Infectious Diseases says that “closing schools and universities would further reduce transmission.” But what does he know eh Duckie? Probably been reading my posts.

A leading teachers Union is also calling for schools to be closed.

You see, it is not just a few people on a football forum.

Jesus wept!

Absolutely no-one here is claiming that closing schools will not slow the spread of the virus.

Pretty much everyone else on here understands that what the policy makers are trying to achieve is a controlled growth of the virus in order to 'contain' it - funnily enough, that's why they've named it the 'containment' phase!

Eventually they will look to close the schools - even the chief medical office has said this will happen. However, what they want to do is control when and how this is done in order to minimise disruption. Not sure how we can make this clearer for you....

It's just a ruse so that they can quickly make their escape. :lol:

Unlike you not to listen!

Initially the ban on large events was to free up emergency services.

Now, large events and 'unnecessary' travel are being stopped in order to slow the spread of the virus.

In the future (it could be a day, week month), other avenues will be explored to slow the spread even further - like closing schools, shutting down public transport (or restricting numbers that can use it at any one time), imposing curfews etc.

It must be hard to keep up but I'm sure there'll be someone down the pub or across the road that can tell you what you want to hear.

I assume you meant to direct this at me as it was me who made the comment he was replying to.

I made the comment in reply to this, which really isn't quite the same message as you're giving there, so it's not too surprising that there was some confusion about what you were trying to say:

Anybody else been prevented from home working today!

School support staff data/admin/exams, I'm completely on top of my workload, have full remote access to anything and everything I need. In full email contact with all staff, have also circulated my phone number etc. Have a fully worked plan of where I am and where I need to be between now and Easter.

Have offered to come straight back in if needed.

Have been directed to stay in school by HR 'the school is open and we are currently all working in the work place. If the situation changes we will notify staff of this'.

Fuming!

Lady Trousers is in a similar position. She can do over 90% of her administration job on the phone or via email but her employer says they can't/won't provide her with access to the systems she needs from home.

She happens to be in the 'pre-existing conditions' vulnerability group that's been told to isolate as much as possible, so on one hand she's got the Chief Medical Officer & Co strongly advising her to work from home and on the other hand her employer shrugging their shoulders.

Name of her employer? The National Health Service....

Stick that one on your next record Alanis Morrisette...

P.s. I'm also considered 'vulnerable' given I'm on immunosuppression meds for IBD condition, so there's me isolating myself at home whilst Lady T spends the day in a hospital building... How's that supposed to work...?

Edited by trousers

I assume you meant to direct this at me as it was me who made the comment he was replying to.

I made the comment in reply to this, which really isn't quite the same message as you're giving there, so it's not too surprising that there was some confusion about what you were trying to say:

No, it was aimed at me. Weston doesn’t like me having a pop at Johnson so he gets digs in where he can. Large gatherings haven’t been banned, but it is suggested that they don’t happen (at the moment). Same with going to pubs and restaurants. All very wishy washy and typically British. The infection rate is on a steep curve every day so at some point they are going to need to be more prescriptive.

Jesus wept!

Absolutely no-one here is claiming that closing schools will not slow the spread of the virus.

Pretty much everyone else on here understands that what the policy makers are trying to achieve is a controlled growth of the virus in order to 'contain' it - funnily enough, that's why they've named it the 'containment' phase!

Eventually they will look to close the schools - even the chief medical office has said this will happen. However, what they want to do is control when and how this is done in order to minimise disruption. Not sure how we can make this clearer for you....

Thank you so much for making it clearer. I’m sure the many people who have been calling for schools to be closed now will be reassured.

The BBC are saying that many schools are struggling to stay open due to sick staff. Concern about pregnant teachers is also growing as they are now in the at risk group.

“Quick the tories are doing good things I need to bash them again”

The BBC are saying that many schools are struggling to stay open due to sick staff. Concern about pregnant teachers is also growing as they are now in the at risk group.
The schools stay open for at least another day.

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

Suck it up buttercup. Suck it right up.

Schools are struggling. In my department 3 teachers are off in isolation, about to lose one who is pregnant. The headteacher is appraising the viability of remaining open on a day by day basis

But, take the schools away.... there will be further issues. Society does need to function.

Edited by Colinjb

Lady Trousers is in a similar position. She can do over 90% of her administration job on the phone or via email but her employer says they can't/won't provide her with access to the systems she needs from home.

She happens to be in the 'pre-existing conditions' vulnerability group that's been told to isolate as much as possible, so on one hand she's got the Chief Medical Officer & Co strongly advising her to work from home and on the other hand her employer shrugging their shoulders.

Name of her employer? The National Health Service....

Stick that one on your next record Alanis Morrisette...

P.s. I'm also considered 'vulnerable' given I'm on immunosuppression meds for IBD condition, so there's me isolating myself at home whilst Lady T spends the day in a hospital building... How's that supposed to work...?

Sorry to hear that T and hope you both keep well. Could she suggest that her team uses Microsoft Teams software? It should store most of the shared files they would need and an email back up too. Aware of other sectors using this including parts of the NHS (I don’t work for them at all so secondhand info I’m afraid). The Trusts that use Office 365 can then add the app for MT software I’m told. Guess it depends which one she’s with.

The schools stay open for at least another day.

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

Suck it up buttercup. Suck it right up.

You are a very strange individual. What would you say to the people, maybe a pregnant teacher, who get infected in the next day or two because the schools are still open. Suck it up?

“Quick the tories are doing good things I need to bash them again”

Grow up. This isn’t anything to do with bashing Tories. This is about lives that may be lost unnecessarily. Apparently one of our number is very happy that schools will be open for at least one more day. One day! Great. In that one day how many people might potentially become infected? Of course we will never know because there is very little testing going on. However happens to be in power makes decisions and those decisions need to be questioned to ensure they are the right ones and are robust. You don’t become immune to the virus just because you voted Tory. If closing the schools one day earlier saved the life of a loved one, would you take it?

Grow up. This isn’t anything to do with bashing Tories. This is about lives that may be lost unnecessarily. Apparently one of our number is very happy that schools will be open for at least one more day. One day! Great. In that one day how many people might potentially become infected? Of course we will never know because there is very little testing going on. However happens to be in power makes decisions and those decisions need to be questioned to ensure they are the right ones and are robust. You don’t become immune to the virus just because you voted Tory. If closing the schools one day earlier saved the life of a loved one, would you take it?

You need to get off your high horse. The whole country is following the advice of those that are far better placed to give that advice. People are dying irrespective of schools being opened or closed.

Sorry to hear that T and hope you both keep well. Could she suggest that her team uses Microsoft Teams software? It should store most of the shared files they would need and an email back up too. Aware of other sectors using this including parts of the NHS (I don’t work for them at all so secondhand info I’m afraid). The Trusts that use Office 365 can then add the app for MT software I’m told. Guess it depends which one she’s with.

The issue is probably security of confidential patient info. The hospital would be breaking the law by allowing such info to be accessed from insecure systems or viewed in insecure locations (eg where unauthorised people could have access).

Yes they are. It is entirely possible that fewer people will get sick from the point schools close. It has nothing to do with High Horses. A reporter asked Johnson during this afternoon's press conference about school closure. Was he on a high horse?

You are a very strange individual. What would you say to the people, maybe a pregnant teacher, who get infected in the next day or two because the schools are still open. Suck it up?
No because that message is for you and you alone.

Yes they are. It is entirely possible that fewer people will get sick from the point schools close. It has nothing to do with High Horses. A reporter asked Johnson during this afternoon's press conference about school closure. Was he on a high horse?

And what was his response??

It’s entirely possible that more people will get sick as well.

Thanks for that. I’m not the one throwing my toys out of the pram.

This issue goes deeper than just whether kids are in school, but the point is being laboured. I share the view that I find the policy odd, but people with bigger brains than me have made a decision and I'll go with it. I'm not sure what post upon post is achieving. The squabbling on other threads is tedious and it's a shame that this thread has gone down the usual route. Personally I'd like to be able to discuss something as important as this without having petty disputes clogging the thread. If people want to flirt, do it by pm cos it's fecking boring.

This issue goes deeper than just whether kids are in school, but the point is being laboured. I share the view that I find the policy odd, but people with bigger brains than me have made a decision and I'll go with it. I'm not sure what post upon post is achieving. The squabbling on other threads is tedious and it's a shame that this thread has gone down the usual route. Personally I'd like to be able to discuss something as important as this without having petty disputes clogging the thread. If people want to flirt, do it by pm cos it's fecking boring.
Well said. Leave it out soggy.

Well said that person

My partner's school have sent all pregnant teachers and high risk staff home and will have no kids from next week.

Son's school are giving certain year groups days off to make sure they have the staff to keep teaching Year 11's who are doing GCSE's.

I work for the Police as a staff member. We are pretty much all still there although people are being allowed to work more from home. Problem is we need to keep training running as much as possible because we're in the initial stages of recruiting a huge number of new officers that are desperately needed.

Good to see our Saints supporting chancellor bringing some well needed assurance to businesses. I'm no Tory supporter but he does seem to be speaking some sense.

A quick look on twitter shows that his announcements are going down well with most people which is a strange situation for a politician to be in.

NHS IT Security Policy probably follows Government policies in denying remote access. We had to install additional internal firewalls and 'DMZ servers' to satisfy the Cabinet Office that our own remote access services didn't provide a route of connection onwards to the Government Secure Intranet, which we were operationally required to provide office based access to.

Good to see our Saints supporting chancellor bringing some well needed assurance to businesses. I'm no Tory supporter but he does seem to be speaking some sense.

A quick look on twitter shows that his announcements are going down well with most people which is a strange situation for a politician to be in.

Yes, very impressive.

Trump getting ahead of things as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The announcements get lots of things right; but its unclear why some sectors are being targeted with additional support and not others when they too will be facing similar pressures. Also more needs to be done to support family incomes directly, especially those who are being laid off or are renting - see the Resolution Foundation's response among others.

Edited by shurlock

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus