Coronavirus

whelk

Looks like someone has been creating fake NHS profiles on Twitter to spread government propaganda / support etc.

Was this done by the government? By the Russians?

By the Russians on behalf of the Government - or more likely by the Government on behalf of the Russians :p

Don't think it's the government for a minute - the "NHS Susan" account (which is the only one identified despite claims of something like 127 accounts) reads like a wind-up/parody account.

I don't think the government are using sock puppet Twitter accounts to stop the 8pm Thursday clapping sessions to be honest, which was one of "Susan's" messages. And the whistle-blower is a conspiracy theory nut-job rather than an actual journalist.

However, the general issue is all of this stuff is tiresome noise and agree this is not conducive to effective democracy.

Genuine question ... over 1mm people signed up as volunteers to help the NHS over a month ago …. has anyone actually been called us or was this just a fantasy scheme dreamed up by Boris??

I registered and signed in on the app about 2 weeks ago. Not a single thing has happened.

Genuine question ... over 1mm people signed up as volunteers to help the NHS over a month ago …. has anyone actually been called us or was this just a fantasy scheme dreamed up by Boris??

Frankly, I don't think they're needed. Well meaning amateurs are the last thing the health service needs. Decent equipment is the important issue.

https://fullfact.org/online/evidence-network-fake-nhs-tweets/

Full fact have investigated the sock-puppet Twitter account thing. No evidence seen or provided, the guy who started it won't share anything with them. No information on the 127 accounts, no information on the "marketing agency" involved. And on top of that the guy has made false claims before.

Nothing to see here except a fantasist crank making up stories because Tories are evil or something.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Frankly, I don't think they're needed. Well meaning amateurs are the last thing the health service needs. Decent equipment is the important issue.

I suspect it's two things. Firstly, many may have indicated that they don't want to do direct patient-facing work at the hospitals/Nightingale units, so that means there's only so much of other assistance to be doing. Secondly, people are just looking at this now and there's a debate regionally about provision but actually we don't know enough about this virus yet. Just say you can get it again, and although much of the economy has re-opened to some extent and we crack the PPE issue (without Trump gazumping us with the Chinese/Turkish - 'America First' remember) then we get into the autumn with large numbers still getting it/re-infections and winter pressures start again.

Suddenly hospitals which have been OK on capacity aren't any longer, the Nightingales which were mothballed say next month are launched and more people needed to equip them/move equipment and people and welcome returning clinical people before they recieve patients = volunteers.

Full fact have investigated the sock-puppet Twitter account thing. No evidence seen or provided, the guy who started it won't share anything with them. No information on the 127 accounts, no information on the "marketing agency" involved. And on top of that the guy has made false claims before.

Nothing to see here except a fantasist crank making up stories because Tories are evil or something.

Fair enough. Seemed like the sort of thing Dom would do. And definitely the sort of thing Trump/Putin would do.

His 'far right watch' website seems to back that up - 'far right' being anyone right of Corbyn and 'watch' being any rumour or hearsay which fits his opinion.

When I was at school the 'far right' was the BNP. Then, more recently, it was UKIP. Now it seems to be a democratically elected Conservative government.
It's the social media generation who don't actually know what far right means. It's an idiots way to pretend they've won an argument and it's led to disgusting scenes where employers and sponsors have been written to and scared off by warriors on social media.

Is that a real fact checking site though or just the Conservative HQ?

It's the social media generation who don't actually know what far right means. It's an idiots way to pretend they've won an argument and it's led to disgusting scenes where employers and sponsors have been written to and scared off by warriors on social media.

it says something* when people genuinely believe Boris Johnson to be Far Right.

*something about the morons who believe it

To be fair, the same thing is done by the right as well. Both sides contain about an equal amount of militant, righteous idiots.

That's true but blanketing a load of people as soppy lefties doesn't have the same stigma as calling someone a fascist or a nazi.

I would say the extremist right and extremist left are equally repugnant and intolerant. You are a little more right wing, judging by your comments here, so are probably less sensitive to what's said, but I've read huge amounts saying that "lefties" are destroying the country, that they are ignorant commies, that they are anti-British, anti free will, are a dangerous "elite" etc. It's all about the same intention and all equally pathetic and immature.

Personally I can't engage with anyone who uses the word "lefty". It just gives the impression that they follow mummy and daddy's politics and have never really been able to engage in forming a balanced, considered view. I have voted left and right and down the middle and can generally spot when someone is no longer capable of thinking objectively, left and right. Disliking the current labour or tory party is reasonable. Disregarding everything left or right in politics with a silly nickname just shows ignorance, whichever side you are on.

Another 759 dead in hospital today. Urgh.

The move away from the peak is going to be a long old schlep.

The notion that "20,000 dead would be a good result" is looking way off now.

I would say the extremist right and extremist left are equally repugnant and intolerant. You are a little more right wing, judging by your comments here, so are probably less sensitive to what's said, but I've read huge amounts saying that "lefties" are destroying the country, that they are ignorant commies, that they are anti-British, anti free will, are a dangerous "elite" etc. It's all about the same intention and all equally pathetic and immature.

Personally I can't engage with anyone who uses the word "lefty". It just gives the impression that they follow mummy and daddy's politics and have never really been able to engage in forming a balanced, considered view. I have voted left and right and down the middle and can generally spot when someone is no longer capable of thinking objectively, left and right. Disliking the current labour or tory party is reasonable. Disregarding everything left or right in politics with a silly nickname just shows ignorance, whichever side you are on.

People are labelled/pigeon-holed by what they say and believe everywhere in politics. As politics covers most facets of everyday life, so nearly anybody can be categorised by their opinions within the political compass. You yourself have pigeon-holed Hypochondriac based on his posts and no doubt do the same with other posters too, as does everybody else. You have also insinuated that as he is a little more right wing, that he is therefore less sensitive to what the extremists left and right say. That's pretty judgemental of you, and you also "don't engage" with those using the word "lefty". Well done. This sort of intolerance of opinions on the basis that they are expressed using commonplace language which enables you to assume yourself superior to those who use it, is a classic lefty characteristic trait, and makes you seem a rather humourless and over-sensitive prig. :lol:

Does calling someone a fascist or a nazi have a level of stigma about it that is greater than calling someone a lefty, far left or even a communist? Simple question.

Oh and I certainly don't think I'm more on the right. Like most people I am right leaning on some things and more left on others. I've voted more left wing in the past and may do so again in the future if there's anything worth voting for.

Back on track, it seems that 8th April is the day with the most deaths. Considering it takes an average of 3 weeks from infection to passing away does this suggest that peak transmission time was between 12th and 20th March when lockdown came into effect and that it was therefore too late to prevent such a high death toll?

Back on track, it seems that 8th April is the day with the most deaths. Considering it takes an average of 3 weeks from infection to passing away does this suggest that peak transmission time was between 12th and 20th March when lockdown came into effect and that it was therefore too late to prevent such a high death toll?

'Too late' is a relative term and in this context doesn't really mean anything. Peak deaths were always going to come about 3 weeks after peak infections and peak infection was always going to be the day before the lock down, whenever it was implemented.

If we'd done it a day earlier, deaths would have been fewer; a day later and deaths would have been more. Anything else is fairly arbitrary.

Seems like there’s a game of lockdown tennis going on. The government are trying to pass the buck to the “science” because they’re too scared to make decisions themselves, and it sounds like they’re planning to give the government a list of potential strategies to try and force them into taking responsibility for any lifting of lockdown restrictions.

Get ready for this to carry on for months, especially as they’re relying on antibody testing data to help shape some of those options but there aren’t any reliable antibody tests available.

Proper lockdown started on March 23 - even the weekend before (21-22) was carnage in terms of the crowds outside and relative indifference to social distancing rules.

Edited by shurlock

Seems like there’s a game of lockdown tennis going on. The government are trying to pass the buck to the “science” because they’re too scared to make decisions themselves, and it sounds like they’re planning to give the government a list of potential strategies to try and force them into taking responsibility for any lifting of lockdown restrictions.

Get ready for this to carry on for months, especially as they’re relying on antibody testing data to help shape some of those options but there aren’t any reliable antibody tests available.

What does passing the buck to the science even mean? They've set out the criteria that needs to be met before the lockdown is ended. Making decisions independent of the science would be incredibly dumb. It's only idiots in the media that demand an exact date for things.

'Too late' is a relative term and in this context doesn't really mean anything. Peak deaths were always going to come about 3 weeks after peak infections and peak infection was always going to be the day before the lock down, whenever it was implemented.

If we'd done it a day earlier, deaths would have been fewer; a day later and deaths would have been more. Anything else is fairly arbitrary.

If we'd locked down say a week earlier would it not have prevented the period where transmission was ramping right up and saved a significant number of lives?

Is it just a coincidence that Cheltenham has twice the number of deaths as Bristol despite having a much smaller population?

No doubt there will be enquiries about this going on for years. At least the lawyers will be coining it in.

What does passing the buck to the science even mean? They've set out the criteria that needs to be met before the lockdown is ended. Making decisions independent of the science would be incredibly dumb. It's only idiots in the media that demand an exact date for things.

But, but, but we need to know when West Quay will reopen so thousands of people can wander around and buy a bunch of stuff they don't really need FFS.

If we'd locked down say a week earlier would it not have prevented the period where transmission was ramping right up and saved a significant number of lives?

Is it just a coincidence that Cheltenham has twice the number of deaths as Bristol despite having a much smaller population?

No doubt there will be enquiries about this going on for years. At least the lawyers will be coining it in.

Not the same as twice the number of infections though. Don’t know enough about Cheltenham demographic but the festival go ahead decision was staggering

On the face of it that does seem like a really stupid and potentially deadly error.

The Liverpool v Atletico CL game is also being investigated in terms of a resulting spike of cases in Liverpool. Madrid was one of worst hit areas globally for new cases. UEFA taking some flak.

The Liverpool v Atletico CL game is also being investigated in terms of a resulting spike of cases in Liverpool. Madrid was one of worst hit areas globally for new cases. UEFA taking some flak.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-vs-atletico-madrid-coronavirus-anfield-wrap-a9477696.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1587548711

The TV adverts are becoming insufferable.
The government ones or the one about how McCain chips/Vodafone/the Co-Op/every flipping corporate you can think of are all on your side during this difficult time?

If it's the second one I agree. But you have to marvel at the resilience of the UK marketing industry. Capitalism always wins through.

Ref COVID testing, other Govt areas are being 'encouraged' to get tested as the Govt are getting blasted for people not filling the testing capacity.

Not a huge amount the Government can do if people do not go and get tested.....

The government ones or the one about how McCain chips/Vodafone/the Co-Op/every flipping corporate you can think of are all on your side during this difficult time?

If it's the second one I agree. But you have to marvel at the resilience of the UK marketing industry. Capitalism always wins through.

Kevin Bacons important message of free data for all NHS workers on EE is a masterpiece of look at how much we careism.

Kevin Bacons important message of free data for all NHS workers on EE is a masterpiece of look at how much we careism.

Its smart, although cynical marketing. At least it has a purpose - ie helping EE sell more - than standing outside your house clapping for the benefit of your neighbours.

Yes, the latter. The government ones are sadly necessary as some people are quite dense and still don't get it. Next it'll be Ann Summers giving away free nurse/police uniforms to all essential staff or 30 seconds of former XFactor nobodies clapping for our heroes.

Its smart, although cynical marketing. At least it has a purpose - ie helping EE sell more - than standing outside your house clapping for the benefit of your neighbours.

but if you dont stand outside your house clapping, every frigging week, how can you post a video of it on social media to show how much more your road cares than everyone elses?

but if you dont stand outside your house clapping, every frigging week, how can you post a video of it on social media to show how much more your road cares than everyone elses?

if you are an adult and don't make loud noises with pots and pans at 8pm on a Thursday AND make sure it is clear you are clapping for everyone and not just NHS staff (what makes them so special)....

then you are a bit of a ****

Ref COVID testing, other Govt areas are being 'encouraged' to get tested as the Govt are getting blasted for people not filling the testing capacity.

Not a huge amount the Government can do if people do not go and get tested.....

What are you on about? The scope of those eligible to access testing is still incredibly narrow. Plus having drive in test centres in places obviously not accessible to all. You can have all the testing capacity in the world but it means little if the pitiful number of people actually tested remains as is. There are big problems with testing, and it isn't because people can't be arsed to get tested.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus