Coronavirus

whelk

The trouble is nobody knew about this virus two months ago, it was entirely unknown.

Only now are results from studies coming out:

severity increases with age,

81% of known infections can be classified as mild and

2.3% result in death.

Viral shedding studies should tells us about the condition of a person in spreading the virus (no symptoms to severe). Duration of incubation period between infection and symptoms is unknown - that will help define quarantine time.

Learning lessons from Ebola, SARS, MERS and avian flu there is more concerted effort to be better prepared- two weeks ago only SA and Senegal in Africa had labs that could test for the virus, now 27 countries have the test kits and are using them.

All info from The Lancet - Scientists are sprinting to outpace the novel Coronavirus if anyone is interested.

Yeah I’m very interested.

Considering there are a number of Coronavirus’ I’m surprised there aren’t vaccines that can be modified effectively. Or is each 1 wildly different to the next??

Considering there are a number of Coronavirus’ I’m surprised there aren’t vaccines that can be modified effectively. Or is each 1 wildly different to the next??

If you know your phylogeny then this site is useful in understanding the different types and mutations: https://www.gisaid.org

if you don’t this is a straightforward article: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30374-3/fulltext .

Within COVID-19 there are mutations but are similar in type as seen here - http://www.gisaid.org/epiflu-applications/next-sars-cov2-app You’ll see bat and pangolin are noted but all infections listed are human to human.

If you want latest numbers - http://www.gisaid.org/epiflu-applications/global-cases-covid-19/

Hope that is of interest to you.

I see that old leftie twt Jon Snow is self isolating. Shame it isn’t 2 years as opposed to 2 weeks.

So is our Prime Minister, it would appear, although it could just be laziness and fear of the public.

I had an urgent translation to do this afternoon for a sporting event: amongst the contents were a new media regime, interviewers keeping 1.5 metres of more from the athletes, no hand shaking, boom microphones or changing microphone covers after each interview, separation of participants and their teams etc.

So is our Prime Minister, it would appear, although it could just be laziness and fear of the public.

I had an urgent translation to do this afternoon for a sporting event: amongst the contents were a new media regime, interviewers keeping 1.5 metres of more from the athletes, no hand shaking, boom microphones or changing microphone covers after each interview, separation of participants and their teams etc.

And yet one sneeze and all this pointless precautions go out of the window!!!

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/how-far-do-coughs-and-sneezes-travel/

strange few months.

first Trump was going to kill us all in WW3

Then it was climate change

Now this virus

Greta is visiting Bristol, I am sure she will ensure her cause is bumped up the new agenda!!

Get off your arse and do something or sit behind your keyboard and snipe. Not really a strange few months at all, just same old same old.

I guess a world wide recession is highly likely now.

I’m having to buy production items from America now at 3x the price of China.

Question. Are they alternatives manufactured in the US or simply Chinese made previously imported stock which is being sold at an inflated price?

I don’t particularly agree with what they’re doing but I don’t really blame them. They can almost name their price.

Our factories are saying they’re running at at least a 3 month backlog when they allowed to start up again. If indeed they’re still in business by then. It’s all a bit sad for them really

I just wondered whether other producers could quickly up production to fill gaps, or its a serious supply problem with major implications.

Some possibly could fill the gaps to a much smaller degree but the Chinese factories are much better at mass production. This is a major issue.

Roughly 300 million workers have been told to stay at home!

We are also having significant issues sourcing IT hardware. Dell are telling us there is a 3 month minimum wait on some components, similar with HP. The only option for a quick turn around at the moment is to buy pre-stocked or grey market items. This problem is only going to get worse, as the quoted minimum 3 month lead time basically means they have no idea when supplies will return to normal.

My understanding is coronavirus vaccine development fell down the priority list somewhat after SARS fell away. That's where governments need to intervene and have a bit of forward thinking, but that's by the by.

The coronaviruses share a lot of structure, but you still need to do the research to understand what will raise effective immunity, without side effects. For that you need a good understanding of the main protein structures etc of this particular virus! And for that you need the research (see above). Viruses can have a pretty fast mutation rate also and just little changes can mean the immune system is evaded or not as good at responding. Our immune seveillance is very specific (which is good).

Some possibly could fill the gaps to a much smaller degree but the Chinese factories are much better at mass production. This is a major issue.

Roughly 300 million workers have been told to stay at home!

All part of God's plan.

It is a phrase uttered by many about their 'kind and loving' deity

Oh come on now duckie, this is getting a little strange. Plus we’ve been through this a number of times and I’m certainly not gonna take this thread off topic, even if you want to.

You are particularly obsessed about this though.

#obssesedwithGod

Highly informative (if somewhat morbid) link:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Of particular interest is that of the 240cases that have run their course in Italy to date, 80 have died, 160 survived.

Similar ratio's exist in France with 4 dead and 12 having survived so far.

Whilst that's a worst case based probably on those with other health complications sadly unable to cope with the added immune stress, its still a rather alarming rate for developed countries.

Highly informative (if somewhat morbid) link:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Of particular interest is that of the 240cases that have run their course in Italy to date, 80 have died, 160 survived.

Similar ratio's exist in France with 4 dead and 12 having survived so far.

Whilst that's a worst case based probably on those with other health complications sadly unable to cope with the added immune stress, its still a rather alarming rate for developed countries.

Interesting, thanks.

Difficult at this stage to put figures to the probabilities. France for instance has 4 dead and 12 recovered out of a total of 212 cases. Italy has had 2502 confirmed cases.

The Netherlands have had 38 cases but as yet none have died and none have recovered.

Colombia seems relatively safe so far with no cases but something else will probably get you first.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus