Coronavirus

whelk

It is. And we are nowhere near the worst of it yet.

Absolutely. The lack of testing here is scary - we can display symptoms but not get tested cos we haven't been in contact with someone who's tested positive. Problem is that person wouldn't have tested positive cos he/she hasn't been tested, cos he/she hasn't been in contact with someone who's tested positive!

Absolutely. The lack of testing here is scary - we can display symptoms but not get tested cos we haven't been in contact with someone who's tested positive. Problem is that person wouldn't have tested positive cos he/she hasn't been tested, cos he/she hasn't been in contact with someone who's tested positive!

When you hear health officials in the thick of it in Italy condemning Johnson and Trump for their reactions so far it is more than worrying. They say that their response was just as complacent as ours currently is and look where they are now.

It’s not big news here in Morocco and most of the western media give you news biased to your location

It’s not “big news” here but a guy a work with who is 72 so is keeping a close eye on things showed me a news feed earlier on his phone which reported that the Italians were going to concentrate their health care efforts on the young and that those over 60 would not be helped.

30000 people have been tested in the UK, we are currently testing 1000 people per day.

30000 people have been tested in the UK, we are currently testing 1000 people per day.

That may be so, but when we hear that 10,000 people probably have it, it's obvious that not enough people have been tested. Take Tom Hanks as an example, if he called 111 over here he probably wouldn't have met the criteria to be tested. He'd potentially have gone about his life passing it on. If he hadn't tested positive, anyone coming into contact with him who displayed symptoms wouldn't be tested either.

That may be so, but when we hear that 10,000 people probably have it, it's obvious that not enough people have been tested. Take Tom Hanks as an example, if he called 111 over here he probably wouldn't have met the criteria to be tested. He'd potentially have gone about his life passing it on. If he hadn't tested positive, anyone coming into contact with him who displayed symptoms wouldn't be tested either.

Relatively speaking, the UK isn’t doing a bad job. The US is the worrying one.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

So, wife and child display symptoms. I feel fine, but I work in a school. So, how do I find out definitively if I or they have this thing? - I can't can I. So, do I risk passing this onto the children?

No you can't and unless they've been in contact with a confirmed sufferer they can't be tested either. It's ridiculous and how anyone can think this approach reduces the risk of spread is beyond me.

No you can't and unless they've been in contact with a confirmed sufferer they can't be tested either. It's ridiculous and how anyone can think this approach reduces the risk of spread is beyond me.

I think that reducing the spread is not the strategy..... In Boris' press conference he did say there was a need to build immunity. Without a vaccine there's only one way to do that.

It's the cold/flu. You can't absolutely stop it spreading.... That is impossible. But, without containment it will continue to spread uncontrollably, especially when 99% of people who probably have it would have been thinking, 'oh great, just another winter bug.'

I think that reducing the spread is not the strategy..... In Boris' press conference he did say there was a need to build immunity. Without a vaccine there's only one way to do that.

It's the cold/flu. You can't absolutely stop it spreading.... That is impossible. But, without containment it will continue to spread uncontrollably, especially when 99% of people who probably have it would have been thinking, 'oh great, just another winter bug.'

I think the idea is to contain it until the weather improves and new infections drop off naturally. Its a cold weather virus like flu. It cant live outside the body in temperatures above 17c and thats why Morocco have had almost zero infections

Edited by buctootim

Disagree. I think the idea is to contain it until the weather improves and new infections drop off naturally. Its a cold weather virus like flu. It cant live outside the body in temperatures above 17c and thats why Morocco have had almost zero infections

It's been summer in Wuhan 20c+

If only they showed another graph to indicate what they are trying to do, it would be easier to understand although a bit macabre in pursuing a solution to creating infections (but also immunity) in the community.

As currently there is very little immunity in the community and a vaccine is at least a year away the best practice is to lessen the gradient of the curve so NHS can cope better and society can still function as best it can. Where it has gone out of control like northern Italy where infections have ran out of control there is too much strain on HCPs and services.

The other aspect to avoid is a second wave. It’s all very well for a country to have a lockdown as an immediate reaction but if it gets to the stage where there is little immunity in the community - how do you return to normal activities, trade, tourism etc? The lock down will have to last until there is a vaccine or the infection could be back so it is better to manage the rate of infections from the beginning until there is the natural immunity in the community and the focus can be on the care of the vulnerable and HCPs.

If only they showed another graph to indicate what they are trying to do, it would be easier to understand although a bit macabre in pursuing a solution to creating infections (but also immunity) in the community.

As currently there is very little immunity in the community and a vaccine is at least a year away the best practice is to lessen the gradient of the curve so NHS can cope better and society can still function as best it can. Where it has gone out of control like northern Italy where infections have ran out of control there is too much strain on HCPs and services.

The other aspect to avoid is a second wave. It’s all very well for a country to have a lockdown as an immediate reaction but if it gets to the stage where there is little immunity in the community - how do you return to normal activities, trade, tourism etc? The lock down will have to last until there is a vaccine or the infection could be back so it is better to manage the rate of infections from the beginning until there is the natural immunity in the community and the focus can be on the care of the vulnerable and HCPs.

Thank you for that. It makes sense, but wouldn't that model make sense with mass testing so those who have had it are aware that they have, thus probably have immunity? Currently we don't know who's carrying, clean or likely to have immunity.

I think the idea is to contain it until the weather improves and new infections drop off naturally. Its a cold weather virus like flu. It cant live outside the body in temperatures above 17c and thats why Morocco have had almost zero infections
This is not true, merely speculation. There's not enough data to state that this will improve as the weather gets warmer. This virus is a coronavirus, not a flu virus.

Lots of cases in Iran, Australia, some in sub-saharan Africa. While infection rates may show correlation to being higher in cold places, that could be because people tend to stay indoors and closer together more when the weather is cold - like the myth that you can catch a cold from being physically cold. Correlation does not equal causation.

This is not true, merely speculation. There's not enough data to state that this will improve as the weather gets warmer. This virus is a coronavirus, not a flu virus.

Lots of cases in Iran, Australia, some in sub-saharan Africa. While infection rates may show correlation to being higher in cold places, that could be because people tend to stay indoors and closer together more when the weather is cold - like the myth that you can catch a cold from being physically cold. Correlation does not equal causation.

In hotter countries where there is widespread air conditioning it is conceivable that it could be spread through the air. Remember that over 600 passengers on the Diamond Princess went down with it despite being confined to their cabins.

In speeches this week, both Trump and Johnson have been exposed as busted flushes. Under usual circumstances they have both got away with bull****, bluster and waving the flag. Now they have to step up to the plate and actually show what they are made of, both self centred narcissists have demonstrated that they are clueless when it comes to real leadership. Trump was still playing the nationalistic card through his White House address and showed himself up for what he has always been. Johnson looks so far out of his depth and comfort zone I actually feel embarrassed for him. As for the quote about being prepared to lose some loved ones before their time, what a strange choice of words. Neither of these clowns inspires the slightest bit of confidence. The only upside is that people who voted these chancers in can now see first hand what an awful decision they have made.

Still, at least we got our country back.

Thank you for that. It makes sense, but wouldn't that model make sense with mass testing so those who have had it are aware that they have, thus probably have immunity? Currently we don't know who's carrying, clean or likely to have immunity.

Ideally, yes it would be great to be able to monitor the infections however practically this is very difficult to do on a continuous basis in this phase (test kits availability and resource to obtain results) so the priority are for hospitals, vulnerable and HCPs so immediate response can be initiated.

It is a risk and they are probably relying on the modelling and forecasts to help predict if other measures need to be introduced.

Hopefully there will soon be kits available to test for antibodies. The antibodies typically appear in the blood one to three weeks after infection. China may already have them and they will be a big help.

It's been summer in Wuhan 20c+

The wife is a civil servant and the department she works for sent a 10 point list through of key points.

One of the points stated that this virus doesn’t like temperatures of 27+. This might explain why countries like India currently don’t have much of an issue (temperatures around 30+), and countries that are in/going through/coming out of winter are struggling.

Here’s hoping for a blazing summer

Just been to Tesco’s. Not a loo roll on the shelf. The lady at the checkout said people have even been nicking the loo rolls from the disabled toilets. WTF?

I was in Aldi yesterday. Loads of loo roll and pasta. No sign of panic buying.

Presumably, as all of the panic buyers won't need to buy for a few weeks, there will be fewer shoppers and thing will return to normal.

Apparently one of Johnson’s hero’s is Larry Vaughn, the mayor who insisted on keeping the beaches open despite a large shark hoovering up the holiday makers in Jaws. Could this be why we are still “open for business” while the rest of the world shuts down?

Apparently one of Johnson’s hero’s is Larry Vaughn, the mayor who insisted on keeping the beaches open despite a large shark hoovering up the holiday makers in Jaws. Could this be why we are still “open for business” while the rest of the world shuts down?

Do you believe we should have shut down as a nation by now?

if so, why?

Really? Do you have a link?

I don’t as it was a live broadcast. But he basically said;

’Not testing alone, not contact tracing alone, not quarantining alone, not social distancing alone. You must do it all’

In other words, the complete opposite of us.

I don’t as it was a live broadcast. But he basically said;

’Not testing alone, not contact tracing alone, not quarantining alone, not social distancing alone. You must do it all’

In other words, the complete opposite of us.

are you self isolating at all?

A helpful tip. Met a neighbour in Tescos and we were discussing the empty shelves where the loo rolls were supposed to be. As he walked off in the direction of the newsstand he said he was going to buy all of the copies of The Sun and cut them up into small squares. Genius.

A helpful tip. Met a neighbour in Tescos and we were discussing the empty shelves where the loo rolls were supposed to be. As he walked off in the direction of the newsstand he said he was going to buy all of the copies of The Sun and cut them up into small squares. Genius.
Good one pal! Roflmao.

Are you out of loo roll SOG? Seem to be referring to it a fair bit. Get up to Costco mate got pallets of the stuff

Are you out of loo roll SOG? Seem to be referring to it a fair bit. Get up to Costco mate got pallets of the stuff

No, we are good thanks. But it seems the locals in the area feel it necessary to stock up and are hoovering them up. Just saw one on a local online sale site for £80 (clearly a joke). Perhaps it is just a Kent thing?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus