Coronavirus

whelk

This doesn't affect me, so it doesn't need any smart arsed replies about self interest. It is a genuine discussion point;

Many people fall into the groups being advised to stay at home, potentially for months. Presumably they will be expecting to do their grocery shopping online. With the online delivery bookings already being choked up for at least 3 weeks, ( TESCO only offer a window of 3 weeks for selecting a slot ), finding a free slot is extremely difficult. On top of this, many items are being restricted to 5 or even 2 per order. With the additional issue that there is no guarantee that what has been ordered will be available when an order is 'picked', are people going to find it difficult to actually get enough of certain foodstuffs and other items to tide them through to their next delivery ?

This doesn't affect me, so it doesn't need any smart arsed replies about self interest. It is a genuine discussion point;

Many people fall into the groups being advised to stay at home, potentially for months. Presumably they will be expecting to do their grocery shopping online. With the online delivery bookings already being choked up for at least 3 weeks, ( TESCO only offer a window of 3 weeks for selecting a slot ), finding a free slot is extremely difficult. On top of this, many items are being restricted to 5 or even 2 per order. With the additional issue that there is no guarantee that what has been ordered will be available when an order is 'picked', are people going to find it difficult to actually get enough of certain foodstuffs and other items to tide them through to their next delivery ?

I was a bit annoyed that my online tesco order had no toilet paper or kitchen roll. You would have thought they would prioritise things for people who had the foresight to order online over a week ago. Luckily there's a small corner shop nearby that I know has toilet paper so I'll send someone to get that later today.

I was a bit annoyed that my online tesco order had no toilet paper or kitchen roll. You would have thought they would prioritise things for people who had the foresight to order online over a week ago. Luckily there's a small corner shop nearby that I know has toilet paper so I'll send someone to get that later today.

Our delivery driver last week said the best slots to select are the early morning ones, as the order is picked before the shelves have been stripped.

Not sure if this was directed at me? I am not claiming any particular privilege or snow flakiness - I'm merely offering to do what we were quite explicitly asked to do yesterday - work from home where possible. And for very good reasons, to help to slow the spread, and everything that goes with that.

I'm quite aware that a lot of people have to go into work for a whole lot of reasons, and fair play to them - I will still be at work - I will just be doing it from home. Just highlighting that there are employers who will happily go against public advice; presumably rogue employers was the first thing the behaviour scientists put that into their models?

It wasn't aimed at you it was generally about teachers. It seems from phone in's, other peoples experience, teacher friends, colleague's teacher partners and from my kids schools that teachers seem to be the least resilient of the lot. My daughter's school has lost 30 teachers, the work force there is probably equivalent to my head office and we don't have anyway near that number in self isolation. My colleague was moaning that her teacher husband is just angling for time off, two days later he is self isolating and today he just come to pick her up and test drive a new car. The BBC has reported that schools are struggling with the amount of teachers off, I don't see many other industries reporting the same thing. One of my daughters teacher was moaning that the government only cares about corona because it's a posh people illness and then a week later is in 12 week's isolation.

It's the same when it snows.

Scotland and Wales closing schools on Friday, Boris hinted at PMQs so very likely the theme of today's press conference will be the same for England. As expected really - the correct decision at the correct time.
If true its been handled pretty well all things considered. Despite the hysterical wailing on social media.

It wasn't aimed at you it was generally about teachers. It seems from phone in's, other peoples experience, teacher friends, colleague's teacher partners and from my kids schools that teachers seem to be the least resilient of the lot. My daughter's school has lost 30 teachers, the work force there is probably equivalent to my head office and we don't have anyway near that number in self isolation. My colleague was moaning that her teacher husband is just angling for time off, two days later he is self isolating and today he just come to pick her up and test drive a new car. The BBC has reported that schools are struggling with the amount of teachers off, I don't see many other industries reporting the same thing. One of my daughters teacher was moaning that the government only cares about corona because it's a posh people illness and then a week later is in 12 week's isolation.

I appreciate sometimes it can look like that, and I’m sure some teachers don’t need much persuasion, much like plenty of other people in plenty of other professions.

But you have to realise, children are dirty. Schools are dirty. Most teachers have colds of some sort 80% or so of the year! Teachers were always going to have to self isolate when the symptoms to do that can be caused by a simple cold.

Anyway it’s all irrelevant now, schools will be shut by Friday.

This issue goes deeper than just whether kids are in school, but the point is being laboured. I share the view that I find the policy odd, but people with bigger brains than me have made a decision and I'll go with it. I'm not sure what post upon post is achieving. The squabbling on other threads is tedious and it's a shame that this thread has gone down the usual route. Personally I'd like to be able to discuss something as important as this without having petty disputes clogging the thread. If people want to flirt, do it by pm cos it's fecking boring.

You are right but it is not me who is being abusive. I agree with your point and a decision has been made for a reason, but as I said early the wishy washy advice is worrying. We are advised not to go to pubs and restaurants but can still happily go to bigger more populated establishments. We High Riskers are told to stay at home from next week. Why not now? If it isn’t safe to go to the pub, shouldn’t they do close the pubs? If the reason is to mitigate lots of insurance claims, then that is not good enough. There has been a lot of rhetoric about being on a war footing. Perhaps we should have a cross party Covid committee to get a good focus from all sides of Parliament on the situation?

People look at public servants as some sort of saints, but they’re just like the rest of the general public, there’s lazy bar stewards and **** takers. The hospital my snap dragon works in got an email from the top dog. Basically it was a **** sandwich, some nice words either side of a “you’re still expected to come to work once the schools close” type of thing. Stating “make plans now”. It was a bit OTT imo, not something I’d write down to my staff as it read very harshly. Guess what, the bod who wrote it is now self isolating. Another nurse was bragging on Facebook about a cheap flight she got to Egypt on Sat, however her latest post is a whinge that she’s got to fly home 3 days earlier. There’s ****ing idiots in all walks of life, public and private sector.

At work we had a discussion amongst the management as to which worker would be off first. We all picked the same bloke, not because of health issues or age, but because he takes the ****. Sure enough, email this morning , he’s self isolating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an escalation. And they say a week is a long time in politics. It must be an eternity for government health policy :lol:
Luckily they have got lots of past experience to gain the right route from.

Corbyn would have tried to talk to the virus, and get it to the negotiating table

At work we had a discussion amongst the management as to which worker would be off first. We all picked the same bloke, not because of health issues or age, but because he takes the ****. Sure enough, email this morning , he’s self isolating.

If you all knew who it would be thats an indictment of you and your management colleagues, not him. He takes the **** because he can. You enable him.

You are right but it is not me who is being abusive. I agree with your point and a decision has been made for a reason, but as I said early the wishy washy advice is worrying. We are advised not to go to pubs and restaurants but can still happily go to bigger more populated establishments. We High Riskers are told to stay at home from next week. Why not now? If it isn’t safe to go to the pub, shouldn’t they do close the pubs? If the reason is to mitigate lots of insurance claims, then that is not good enough. There has been a lot of rhetoric about being on a war footing. Perhaps we should have a cross party Covid committee to get a good focus from all sides of Parliament on the situation?

All good questions but in life I think the most important words are "I don't know". Other people do know, apparently, so I'll listen to them. Whilst I have questions I want answered, I won't get those answers, and all anyone will get on here is a variety of opinions from people who's opinions are irrelevant. That then leads to the usual suspects - you being one - arguing persistently that their guess is superior to everyone else's guess. I have no issue with that on many subjects, but not on something as vital as this.

A cross party working group may well happen, but ultimately scientific and medical matters have been handed over to people with the relevant expertise and personally I see little point in more politicians sticking their oar own.

Re staying home, do so if you wish to. Mrs Egg isn't in a high risk group but she's told her employers she's staying home. Individuals can make personal decisions (admittedly easier for some than others) ahead of government policy.

Popped to the local Tesco's earlier.

We have utter savages in society, the shelves were/are bare. People nearly punching staff because they are being asked to NOT buy a trolley load of pasta and adhere to the 3 item rule.

Another lady got all abusive. Her little 'darling' was running around the isles, playing 'it' with strangers. One bloke asked if he was ill, when she replied no, he responded by saying the best place for him would be at home or in school. Her abusive response was that 'his friends are not in school and keeping him there would be bad for his mental health'.

The checkout lady said the queue was massive at 0600 this morning.

What is it with lemons that can't just act normally in the supermarket. All very strange

edit, buying toilet roll, not an issue. Pasta and fresh meat - having a laugh!!!

Edited by Batman

Isn't it just those in 'isolation' for 7 or 14 days that cannot get to the shops?

For everyone else, doing the 'food' shopping is one of the essential tasks that are exempt from any lockdown / isolation - the intention after all is to 'limit' social interaction rather than eradicate it.

For those who are in isolation surely they will rely on friends / family / neighbours / local community etc to help out?

We have utter savages in society, the shelves were/are bare. People nearly punching staff because they are being asked to NOT buy a trolley load of pasta and adhere to the 3 item rule.

Another lady got all abusive. Her little 'darling' was running around the isles, playing 'it' with strangers. One bloke asked if he was ill, when she replied no, he responded by saying the best place for him would be at home or in school. Her abusive response was that 'his friends are not in school and keeping him there would be bad for his mental health'.

What is it with lemons that can't just act normally in the supermarket. All very strange

edit, buying toilet roll, not an issue. Pasta and fresh meat - having a laugh!!!

It will peak, there is only so much freezer / garage space available. However as it stands, it's madness. They should station Police / Military personnel at the large supermarkets to enforce the limits.

Unreal that we are in this position. This thread is only 3 weeks old, some of the complacency from the first few pages seems incredible now.

It will peak, there is only so much freezer / garage space available. However as it stands, it's madness. They should station Police / Military personnel at the large supermarkets to enforce the limits.

Unreal that we are in this position. This thread is only 3 weeks old, some of the complacency from the first few pages seems incredible now.

So glad we are going for a more gradual approach with the slow down. No way on earth could this be sustained by all for weeks on end

Thing is, the supermarkets are not shutting. Why are people acting like morons?!

It only takes a relatively small number of morons to panic buy to start with, then the non morons need to an extent panic buy or they won't get anything. It all snowballs!

Its not just morons panic buying though, the pattern of how and where food is bought and consumed has changed. Almost certainly supermarkets are busier as people stay away from sandwich shops, restaurants / cafes and school / work canteens.

How much of it is supply chain issues and how much simply supermarkets being caught out by demand and not adjusting their orders quick enough, who knows?

Unfortuntley, these people mean that we will be in a situation with law enforcement in public area's very, very soon. I haven't stock pilled, i haven't panicked, but I realised I've run out of a couple of bits. Went to the shops with the sole purpose of getting two things and there's nothing, just nothing. Supermarket staff I spoke to were just bewildered by people and what they have seen on a daily basis, there was someone being taken off with a bloody nose and the police in attendance (so i'm assuming another fight of sorts).

All supermarkets in Southampton are reducing their opening hrs, but advised that people have been queuing 3 or 4 hours before opening just to get to the front of the line. Toilet rolls go off the shelves within the first 20 mins of opening.

There are too many leeches in this socitey, people who are absolutely ignorant to anyone else - and it's those sorts who will cause the carnage which is coming, not the virus.

Just heard from 2 different sources that we are very close to complete lock down with army deployed to keep people off streets.

Also post office to shut down mail deliveries and posties to be used for food deliveries.

I don't envy the army!!

Just over 100,000 army personnel in the UK (including Army Reserve), made up of enlisted and officers.

Just under 790,000 named streets in the UK to keep people off!

I don't envy the army!!

Just over 100,000 army personnel in the UK (including Army Reserve), made up of enlisted and officers.

Just under 790,000 named streets in the UK to keep people off!

I guess they will just be deployed to the main areas.

Just heard from 2 different sources that we are very close to complete lock down with army deployed to keep people off streets.

Also post office to shut down mail deliveries and posties to be used for food deliveries.

You must have more sources than Heinz.

More info. Just heard from my brother than trials in Asia using existing anti viral vaccines are having a good effect on symptoms of advanced cases of Covid.

SOG this stuff is in the news. It’s not inside info. Maybe consider posting more sparingly?

More info. Just heard from my brother than trials in Asia using existing anti viral vaccines are having a good effect on symptoms of advanced cases of Covid.

They're existing anti viral drugs, not vaccines. Doctors will routinely try existing meds when faced with a patient with a condition where there is no treatment protocol.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/here-are-some-existing-drugs-may-be-repurposed-treat-coronavirus-n1162021

I'm sure Soggy will be congratulating the Government for keeping the schools open for the children of all key workers - and for finding solutions for all the other reasons why the schools shouldn't have been immediately shut down....

He’ll be along shortly bashing his keyboard that it’s an outrage they’re waiting another two days and not doing it now.

He’ll be along shortly bashing his keyboard that it’s an outrage they’re waiting another two days and not doing it now.

about 5 mins away from the daily Tory/Boris bashing session....

I applaud the approach from the govt and most of parliament on this....

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus