Coronavirus

whelk

I simply don't get this. 40% of those hospitalised are aged 20-54? Right now I only know 1 person first hand who has it. A very fit and healthy 26 year old. He is on day 13 now and has was in hospital for 4 of those, it totally wiped him out and still may have long term effects. This utter b0ll0cks about it being "just like the flu for anyone that isn't old" is a serious problem. Also there are already cases of people getting it twice. Do people just not listen to experts anymore or something?

Absolutely. The masses are carrying on as normal and minimising it. Comparing it to flu is as relevant as comparing it to toothache.The video that MLG posted on the other thread is horrible but people need to see it.

I keep seeing fb memes with death stats that down play it. People look at how many died a month ago and assume that cos flu, malaria or whatever kills lots of people this stuff ain't an issue and carry on as normal. Countries don't close down cos of flu - governments are reacting as they are out of necessity.

People need to wise up to this disease and take responsibility for themselves and others.

What a bunch of young ****s interviewed on BBC news. What’s their obsession with kids missing their exams. They interviewed 3 of them moaning that due to the sudden closure “they won’t get chance to say goodbye to their friends” . **** me, some of us oldies won’t get to say goodbye to our parents & siblings. Unlike their buddies, they won’t be round the corner to pop over and see in 12 weeks time , they’ll be 6ft under.....**** me, what a generation we’ve produced..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You really are a total ****, just because there are bigger things going on it doesn't invalidate the smaller things people are going through. Leaving secondary school, the thing they have been going to for a third of their life, where they have grown up and where they were just about to sit the exams they have been gearing up for for years is a bloody big deal for kids. Small in comparison and if you ask a kid would they prefer the loss of a grand parent or for school to close you know what the answer would be, but it doesn't detract from what's happening to them, you can separate the two things. It's lucky our children are more capable of complex nuanced thoughts than your simple binary brain you old ****.

What a bunch of young ****s interviewed on BBC news. What’s their obsession with kids missing their exams. They interviewed 3 of them moaning that due to the sudden closure “they won’t get chance to say goodbye to their friends” . **** me, some of us oldies won’t get to say goodbye to our parents & siblings. Unlike their buddies, they won’t be round the corner to pop over and see in 12 weeks time , they’ll be 6ft under.....**** me, what a generation we’ve produced..

This coming from a man who has written post after post after post about such vital and important issues like, err, David Gauke not being a member of parliament anymore.

Obviously that's jolly important compared to trivialities like young people not being able to see their friends or complete the education they've worked on for many years.

This is a staggering amount, it's gone way beyond what I thought they would do. Obviously a huge relief for us and our workers but we will be paying this off for the rest of our lives.

there will be gigantic cuts to certain sectors in a year or so and 'things' we go up.. Fuel, VAT etc etc

Hopefully we can scrap HS2 and the stupid tunnel under the stones now and use the money earmarked for that more sensibly!

very obvious thing to get rid of.

The forces will take it as per. May as well give up on Trident....

you just know, the budget next year (assuming we are back to normal, or close to it) will be harsh and the usual merry-go-round of calling the Tories the 'nasty party' will start again...

you just know, the budget next year (assuming we are back to normal, or close to it) will be harsh and the usual merry-go-round of calling the Tories the 'nasty party' will start again...

Indeed. The thousands of lives saved will doubtless be forgotten!

Fortunately, the Labour supporters are very happy to have a huge hike in taxes!

Indeed. The thousands of lives saved will doubtless be forgotten!

Fortunately, the Labour supporters are very happy to have a huge hike in taxes!

and it begins. McDonnell already complaining that the government is not doing enough

Yes I bet all those tory bashers of the last few months will forget about all this shortly. Bunch of fools trying to politicise a national crisis.

This coming from a man who has written post after post after post about such vital and important issues like, err, David Gauke not being a member of parliament anymore.

Obviously that's jolly important compared to trivialities like young people not being able to see their friends or complete the education they've worked on for many years.

What a weird post. The situation now is entirely different than when I posting glad tidings that the swamp was drained. Today, I couldn’t give a shiny ****e about who is or isn’t in Parliament, couldn’t care less whether we’re in or out of the EU, couldn’t care if Saints are relegated or Portsmouth are crowned champions of Europe season after season. All I care about is my friends & family and the millions of my fellow citizens who are facing a horror completely beyond their comprehension. When this is over, I doubt there’ll be one forum member who hasn’t lost a friend, neighbour or relative. In the middle of all that, to whine about not saying a proper goodbye to their buddies, is hardly comparable to posting about trivial things in normal times.

What a weird post. The situation now is entirely different than when I posting glad tidings that the swamp was drained. Today, I couldn’t give a shiny ****e about who is or isn’t in Parliament, couldn’t care less whether we’re in or out of the EU, couldn’t care if Saints are relegated or Portsmouth are crowned champions of Europe season after season. All I care about is my friends & family and the millions of my fellow citizens who are facing a horror completely beyond their comprehension. When this is over, I doubt there’ll be one forum member who hasn’t lost a friend, neighbour or relative. In the middle of all that, to whine about not saying a proper goodbye to their buddies, is hardly comparable to posting about trivial things in normal times.

You give a shiny ah1t about people not being as sanctimonious as you.

Just to recap you definitely are the only person who truly cares about this crisis. Congratulations.

Sanctimonious horsesh it.

now the Guardian are at. Going on about how much of an absent father them PM is and his continuous lies in the daily briefings.

Very bizarre

It's pathetic. It's like soggy in real life. Get a grip and concentrate on doing the right things rather than expressing faux outrage over b*llocks.

Posted on the other thread but more relevant here:

I'm looking forward to seeing how the soaps are going to create storylines with the pubs and cafes closed and everyone self-isolating. That's if they don't give up, like EastEnders already has.

They always used to try to reflect reality, but no hope with this one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Posted on the other thread but more relevant here:

I'm looking forward to seeing how the soaps are going to create storylines with the pubs and cafes closed and everyone self-isolating. That's if they don't give up, like EastEnders already has.

They always used to try to reflect reality, but no hope with this one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

The soaps will just morph into gogglebox. All the characters sitting on their sofas watching netflix.

there will be gigantic cuts to certain sectors in a year or so and 'things' we go up.. Fuel, VAT etc etc

I don’t think they will, will take time for the economy to be strong enough. Choke off spending - not including the emergency measures - too early or too sharply and demand collapses. Boris has already made references to 2008 and the austerity which followed which they want to avoid. They also couldn’t deliver the levelling up agenda they promised Brexit supporting areas. It’s why he replaced Javid plus Sunak has been impressive. Depends as well if there is a delay to the Brexit transition period which would make the economy even more vulnerable.

This is far bigger than 2008 as well. Hypo saying we will be paying this off for a lifetime and he is right, think more Lend Lease from WW2. There may be a future Maggie with dry monetarist policies but that was a 1979 and this is a 1945.

One question....

Are people dying "as a result" of the virus - i.e severe symptoms that are directly attributable to the virus - or are people dying (which is a natural occurence) but also test positive for the virus, or is it a combination of the two?

If it is the latter then the number of people dying who also have the virus is going to increase dramatically as the rate of infection across the nation increases. Given that about 1400 people die in the UK every day (I guess slightly more are born every day), then as the rate of infection rises to around 60-80% of the population, then statistically 840 to 1100 people will die every day who also test positive for the virus, which is obviously an enormous number but doesn't necassarily increase the natural number of people dying every day...

Is there any research / statistical information that says how many people are currently dying as a result of the virus in addition to the base line mortality rate?

Apparently, they didn't include this in their original research / mapping, not entirely sure why not!

Would these people be dying anyway?

The figures for coronavirus are eye-watering. But what is not clear - because the modellers did not map this - is to what extent the deaths would have happened without coronavirus.

Given that the old and frail are the most vulnerable, would these people be dying anyway?

Every year more than 500,000 people die in England and Wales: factor in Scotland and Northern Ireland, and the figure tops 600,000.

The coronavirus deaths will not be on top of this. Many would be within this "normal" number of expected deaths. In short, they would have died anyway.

It was a point conceded by Sir Patrick at a press conference on Thursday when he said there would be "some overlap" between coronavirus deaths and expected deaths - he just did not know how much of an overlap.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

Tesco are. First hour Sunday reserved for NHS workers.

Good chance they could be on shift though.

Should set a delivery service for them.

No one could not be moved by an intensive care sobbing as she couldn’t get any food and now has additional worry.

Huge practical difficulties but is there an option to use secondments for those that have had it and recovered to key areas that need help?

Guess not enough known about recatching would rule it out for now

Huge practical difficulties but is there an option to use secondments for those that have had it and recovered to key areas that need help?

That feels like the long term plan. The testing phase I think will be about working out who has had it and then getting them back to work as safe bets - feels like there is confidence that once you've had it, you have immunity (for a while).

What has been amazing to me is across the five daily press conferences, there has been a massive announcement or huge change every day.

Illustrative of the pace of change and the response required. The whole thing inconceivable.

That makes huge sense but there are so few who have been tested and deemed recovered, and then there's the uncertainty over getting it again. Retrospective testing would help with the first part of that but we're not able to do that, at least yet.

That feels like the long term plan. The testing phase I think will be about working out who has had it and then getting them back to work as safe bets - feels like there is confidence that once you've had it, you have immunity (for a while).

Hopefully from this everyone will start thinking more communally and less about money. Concentrates everyone’s focus on what is truly important.

I haven’t got a Facebook account but actually thinking about it if needed to join community support groups.

Hopefully from this everyone will start thinking more communally and less about money. Concentrates everyone’s focus on what is truly important.

I haven’t got a Facebook account but actually thinking about it if needed to join community support groups.

Absolutely this. The individualism around stockpiling in shops has been rightly and widely pilloried but this spirit needs to carry on well beyond the immediate aftermath of this crisis. You don’t realise what you have lost until you’ve lost it.

My sister is a paramedic and my brother in law an A&E consultant. She just messaged me this:

"Matt came home from work early this morning a different man. He was quiet and withdrawn and shocked at the change he'd seen overnight in A&E. He told me 2 junior doctors from St Thomas are in ICU. This has ramped up to crazy levels and it's only the beginning. In a few weeks when hospitals are at their limits we'll have to leave the elderly at home to die and save the young. I love my job but I'm petrified to go to work. Stay safe and stay indoors."

My sister is a paramedic and my brother in law an A&E consultant. She just messaged me this:

"Matt came home from work early this morning a different man. He was quiet and withdrawn and shocked at the change he'd seen overnight in A&E. He told me 2 junior doctors from St Thomas are in ICU. This has ramped up to crazy levels and it's only the beginning. In a few weeks when hospitals are at their limits we'll have to leave the elderly at home to die and save the young. I love my job but I'm petrified to go to work. Stay safe and stay indoors."

Very interesting - thanks for the insight.

I think accounts like this really bring it home. A colleague’s wife (a nurse) has told him similar.

F*ck. And we've only seen the tip of a huge iceberg.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus