Coronavirus

whelk

Sounds like a rough week crabby, glad you've pulled through it. If this kicks you off the cigarettes permanently then take that as a positive outcome overall.

Thanks Lighthouse... This definitely had a bit more ooomph than any flu I've ever had, that's for sure... and you're most definitely right about the cigarettes! I genuinely don't even crave for one any more :-)

Not really a surprise Boris has it seeing as he was boasting about shaking all those hands in hospital a few weeks ago! Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s passed it to Vallance, Whitty and the Chancellor too.

How did he manage to get a test when the front line NHS workers can’t?

Because the man in charge of a country in a crisis is more important. Really not something to take issue with. The issue is the lack of testing for the NHS, not the Prime Minister getting priority. Makes complete sense to test leaders in a crisis as a priority.

Bill Gates is interesting talking about covid19. He cannot understand why we appear to have lost the month of February in not allocating so much more to preparing testing and we’d be in such a stronger position now.

Because the man in charge of a country in a crisis is more important. Really not something to take issue with. The issue is the lack of testing for the NHS, not the Prime Minister getting priority. Makes complete sense to test leaders in a crisis as a priority.

It was a rhetorical question.

Guys bit of advice needed if any of you have kids - obviously we’re in lockdown at the moment and me and the wife want to get out and let the little one (15 months) run around whilst we get some exercise by all going for a walk. Is this allowed but frowned upon? What have other people been doing? I had been thinking of driving out to the forest and trying to get as far away from anyone else as so that we can be out as a family guilt free whilst not risking anyone’s health.

Don’t want to look like a family out and about not giving a **** but as we live in an apartment the lack of garden for her to run around in and the lack of contact with anyone else is getting to her.

Guys bit of advice needed if any of you have kids - obviously we’re in lockdown at the moment and me and the wife want to get out and let the little one (15 months) run around whilst we get some exercise by all going for a walk. Is this allowed but frowned upon? What have other people been doing? I had been thinking of driving out to the forest and trying to get as far away from anyone else as so that we can be out as a family guilt free whilst not risking anyone’s health.

Don’t want to look like a family out and about not giving a **** but as we live in an apartment the lack of garden for her to run around in and the lack of contact with anyone else is getting to her.

Families are not subject to the no more than three rule.

You are not supposed to drive to your place of exercise but enforcement seems to vary from One police force to another. Lack of contact is going to continue for a while I’m afraid.

Officially, you are not allowed to use your car to drive to a remote place to exercise or walk your dog, you are supposed to walk from your house. Whereas I can see it being a problem when thousands make a beeline to places like Snowdonia or to the popular tourist hotspots, I don't see any sensible reason why driving to a remote spot should be a problem. If you were living in a city or town environment and went for a daily walk around your neighourhood, then you are far more likely to come into close contact with others, as indeed you are going to the local supermarket. If you are at such a popular tourist spot, then the police will take action. If you are at a remote spot, then they are unlikely to be there.

Pension funds rarely invest with hedge funds, they're too volatile

Not entirely true - the hedge fund industry looks nothing like it did 10-20 years ago. Inflows from institutional investors such as public pension funds have grown substantially over this time (albeit with a tiny recent dip). Public pension funds make up about a fifth of hedge fund assets globally. As you say these investors have quite different preferences and attitudes to risk and return; as such, many hedge funds have changed or launched strategies to meet this demand. Rather than offering heady but volatile returns, the emphasis is much more on stable but modest returns but critically returns that are uncorrelated with common risk assets. Needless to say some do this well; some do it poorly.

Officially, you are not allowed to use your car to drive to a remote place to exercise or walk your dog, you are supposed to walk from your house. Whereas I can see it being a problem when thousands make a beeline to places like Snowdonia or to the popular tourist hotspots, I don't see any sensible reason why driving to a remote spot should be a problem. If you were living in a city or town environment and went for a daily walk around your neighourhood, then you are far more likely to come into close contact with others, as indeed you are going to the local supermarket. If you are at such a popular tourist spot, then the police will take action. If you are at a remote spot, then they are unlikely to be there.

The less cars on the road, the less traffic accidents. Serious ones involve ambulance, police and other services which are needed elsewhere, minor ones involve contact with other people, maybe tow trucks coming out. Calls to working at home insurance call centres. Your bloke driving home from a remote spot, my go into the back of a nurse on her way home, as a result she may not have a car for a while, may have whiplash, may have contact with the tow truck driver. The advice is simple, only drive your car if absolutely necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The less cars on the road, the less traffic accidents. Serious ones involve ambulance, police and other services which are needed elsewhere, minor ones involve contact with other people, maybe tow trucks coming out. Calls to working at home insurance call centres. Your bloke driving home from a remote spot, my go into the back of a nurse on her way home, as a result she may not have a car for a while, may have whiplash, may have contact with the tow truck driver. The advice is simple, only drive your car if absolutely necessary.

Unbelievable, surely the chick is more likely to cause the RTA.

Always seems a wasted question when a journo says..."can you guarantee....... If not, why not"

On another note, remarkable effort that in just a couple of weeks, capacity has been made available that is equivalent to 50 hospitals!

Gove should be in charge imo, despite being a pinko he’s the most competent cabinet member by a country mile.

*if Boris is unfit.

Agree with this. With him, and the rise of Sunak, it would be very odd for Raab to step forward now, even if he is the "official" deputy.

Angela Raynor has also tested positive.

Interestingly, her tweets slamming Charles being tested ahead of NHS workers have all disappeared .

Strange that!

Some labour people are showing class.

541ae8879e22f79232510cb2fab551aa.jpg

For all Corbyns “ I was right “ pony, and interviewers desperate scramble for their gotcha moment, Burnham seems more in touch with the public than most of labour.

a101a9411eb405ab9c976d3c80bdbfbc.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52066764

Does anybody know of such wholesalers in Hampshire doing this?

I'm still able to go out to the supermarkets, as many of us are now that sensible measures are finally being enforced.

But this could make a big difference to my older neighbours and relatives.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Are companies like these 2 any good?

https://www.owtons.com/

https://www.musclefood.com/

I use muscle food all the time, they’re very good!

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus