Coronavirus

whelk

I feel that many of the postings on this thread this afternoon have been completely unnecessary.

Shurlock has been using identities of others on here for a long time, with absolutely nothing done about it by most of the admin. and when they do, they share the security concerns you raise with him directly.

guess if the face fits......

Personally, if Shurlock (or what ever his real name is) is not comfortable with having his name (and other personal details posted), the MODs have a duty to act/remove posts. But they (or he) do not seem bothered by it!

Yeah, bloody Tory ******s, made a right **** up of controlling the virus in the first place, them and their so-called scientific advisors, they should all be taken outside and shot. Oh, wait, hang on......

You do realise it’s perfectly possible to highlight the effectiveness of the lockdown in London and still be fiercely critical of the government’s handling of the pandemic. They’re not mutually exclusive. It shouldn’t be terribly hard to process (granted it’s you which is a huge caveat). I’ll let it sink in. I’m sure you’ll get there.

On another note, I see you’re posting photos now. What with the constant following around, your behaviour is getting odder and more obsessive. You’re clearly not very well.

Edited by shurlock

Yeah, bloody Tory ******s, made a right **** up of controlling the virus in the first place, them and their so-called scientific advisors, they should all be taken outside and shot. Oh, wait, hang on......
55,000 excess deaths and you're posting shi te like that.

Considerable enough that’s it longer than someone facetiously asking how the second wave is coming along. There’s your answer and it’s perfectly appropriate in the context of the post I was responding to.

Whereas you are desperately trying to shift the goalposts Les.

#textbook

I've given you several hours to consider your best estimate of the time, but you're still not capable of giving one. :rolleyes:

As for the second question, I see that you've left it unanswered too. If you have no ability to discern the physical characteristics of posters, then maybe a good idea to stop pretending that you have.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/22/england-find-coronavirus-cases-and-deaths-in-your-area?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tapatalk_Pro

This is interesting to play with.

Where I live it looks like new cases are much less than ten a day, sometimes one or two. Southampton slightly higher but in May every day less than ten.

I think the government has done a fantastic job of scaring people and it has clearly worked. The adherence to the lockdown has been impressive.

But I also think the government are a little too scared themselves of being clear that, with some sensible distancing in place, it is safe to go back to work or school. It's not like every other person you brush past has got it.

It's clear the conditions are correct to move to track/trace so it is a failure in government that this is not ready because I think that clearly is the unlocker. The people need something that feels like they have some control.

On another note, I see you’re posting photos now. What with the constant following around, your behaviour is getting odder and more obsessive. You’re clearly not very well.

#classicshirley - once again showing your narcissistic side and throwing personal insults. You should seek help from a professional regarding your narcissism as you're clearly not well, pal.

This looks promising: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52754280

If a treatment can be found that stops anyone getting seriously ill then surely we can go back to normal without the need for a vaccine? Just let it spread like the common cold and crack on as usual.

You seem to have misunderstood the whole logic behind the lockdown. It was to stop the NHS from being overwhelmed, thus creating more deaths than necessary. If we 'crack on as usual', even with a treatment as in the link, there is the distinct possibility that the NHS would become overwhelmed once the rate of infection rises again....

2 questions...

1. Where do you get 55,000 extra deaths from - the current figures are 36,042 in total aren't they?

2. Are you really suggesting that UK Government is responsible for 55,000 excess deaths?

Coronavirus and this thread has been running for a long time now.

If you haven't heard of the term "excess deaths" by now then I can't help you.

2 questions...

1. Where do you get 55,000 extra deaths from - the current figures are 36,042 in total aren't they?

2. Are you really suggesting that UK Government is responsible for 55,000 excess deaths?

The 55k figure comes from the Office of National statistics. It compares deaths so far this year to previous years. So the figure is likely to be a lot higher than the 36k the government uses.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/19/almost-55000-excess-uk-deaths-during-covid-19-outbreak-says-ons

Coronavirus and this thread has been running for a long time now.

If you haven't heard of the term "excess deaths" by now then I can't help you.

Not what I asked though was it? I'm aware of the term 'excess deaths' and understand the implications, merely asking where the 55k figure comes from - thank you MLG for providing the answer!

Any response to question 2?

This latest Government policy announcement has to be the biggest ever case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted ever in history. Utterly ridiculous and unsupportable

Quite. You implement quaratine at the start of an outbreak and impose it on people who are coming from high prevalence areas. Utterly pointless to impose it on arrivals from low prevalence countries when the country they are coming to already has one of the highest rates in the world. If you really want to knock new infections back send everybody to Australia, New Zealand, France, Italy etc where they have far lower rates of new infections.

All this will do is bring the Government policy into disrepute and encourage people to ignore some of the more sensible restrictions.

You seem to have misunderstood the whole logic behind the lockdown. It was to stop the NHS from being overwhelmed, thus creating more deaths than necessary. If we 'crack on as usual', even with a treatment as in the link, there is the distinct possibility that the NHS would become overwhelmed once the rate of infection rises again....

That would obviously depend on the how the treatment works and how easily available it is.

Let's say instead of Dominic Cummings it was Steve Coogan or Mark Drakeford or Anna Soubry.

Just imagine the response of the Guido-ettes on here.

It is interesting how the virus seems to be polarised by politics.

Weak old caring lefties for lockdown and caution and look at NZ, excellent hindsight

Tough right wingers, get back to work, nothing the govt could have done better, ‘unprecedented’, won’t wear a mask, ‘but look at Wales’.

I feel balanced myself and my kids were even calling me a Tory when I was challenging their views.

Just wish more honesty and less pretence from the government and then might actually believe some of what we are told. The public can handle being told mistakes happened. Labour would have made them too,

During full lockdown a man who had the virus, who was too ill to care for his own child, but well enough to make a 500-mile round trip, a journey now claimed as above board but mysteriously written out of his wife's detailed account of their week, perhaps because it clearly breached all guidelines and contradicted the PM's own concise instructions?....

No sane person can defend that.

I don't think anyone can or will defend it. However, should the 'punishment' fit the crime? The BBC article states that the police were involved at the time and 'appropriate advice regarding travel' was issued. It doesn't state whether they took any further action. I get that people are calling for him to resign - SNP and Lib Dems - but is that a 'fitting punishment'.

I doubt whether he will voluntarily resign - it happened over 2 months ago so he has had plenty of opportunity to do so - so should he be sacked? If so, should the same 'punishment' be applied to everyone who has broken the lockdown rules? Footballers having parties with hookers, trips to Paris etc etc, should they all be sacked too?

He must have so much dirt on Johnson that it's impossible to sack him. And if he doesn't want to resign then he'll stay in his job.

I get the part about him staying in completely separate accommodation to his parents, but he was in a car with a small child, presumably for at least 5 hours, who could quite easily have caught the virus and passed it on to people in the risk group due to their age.

Mind you even if he does leave he'll end up back in a job within 6 months or so. Priti Patel got sacked and now she has one of the most important roles in Government.

Footballers having parties with hookers, trips to Paris etc etc, should they all be sacked too?

The difference here is that footballers aren't heavily involved in setting the guidelines they then went on to break.

The difference here is that footballers aren't heavily involved in setting the guidelines they then went on to break.

Footballers are considered to be 'role models' (FFS!) and what they say and do is copied up and down the country. I doubt very much that anyone in their right mind is considering Dominic Cummings to be a role model!

He could resign from his official post but could still offer "advice" to Johnson whether solicited or not. I guess that he would no longer receive payment from the public purse for his advice and wouldn't sit on official committes like Sage but he doesn't appear short of a bob or two and could probably survive without official pay.

Whether he resigns or not the whole affair adds a bit more to the odour of hypocrisy and incompetence that is beginning to hang round this government.

Footballers are considered to be 'role models' (FFS!) and what they say and do is copied up and down the country. I doubt very much that anyone in their right mind is considering Dominic Cummings to be a role model!

They are, but they aren't paid to be role models. That seems to be some weird expectation from the media. Musicians or actors don't get put on a pedestal as role models and lots of people, including young kids, look up to them.

Whether he resigns or not the whole affair adds a bit more to the odour of hypocrisy and incompetence that is beginning to hang round this government.

More or less hypocritical than the opposition?

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-03-30/police-urge-mp-stephen-kinnock-to-comply-with-coronavirus-lockdown-rules-after-visiting-dad-on-birthday/

Seems to me that both 'offenders' were advised by the police - as were the instructions at the time - so should they both lose their livelihoods as a result, or is it worse if you aren't an MP?

I don't think anyone can or will defend it. However, should the 'punishment' fit the crime? The BBC article states that the police were involved at the time and 'appropriate advice regarding travel' was issued. It doesn't state whether they took any further action. I get that people are calling for him to resign - SNP and Lib Dems - but is that a 'fitting punishment'.

I doubt whether he will voluntarily resign - it happened over 2 months ago so he has had plenty of opportunity to do so - so should he be sacked? If so, should the same 'punishment' be applied to everyone who has broken the lockdown rules? Footballers having parties with hookers, trips to Paris etc etc, should they all be sacked too?

Wow - can’t see the difference between the chief govt advisor and a footballers.

Only when on Saintsweb would I come across such thinking.

Wow - can’t see the difference between the chief govt advisor and a footballers.

Only when on Saintsweb would I come across such thinking.

I think it is important to get things in a sensible perspective.

The flouting of the rules by a symptomatic senior government official and participant of SAGE is a trivial matter when compared to the horrific spectacle of Steve Coogan telling his gardener not to work, or something something what about Wales something something Kier Starmer.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-03-30/police-urge-mp-stephen-kinnock-to-comply-with-coronavirus-lockdown-rules-after-visiting-dad-on-birthday/

Seems to me that both 'offenders' were advised by the police - as were the instructions at the time - so should they both lose their livelihoods as a result, or is it worse if you aren't an MP?

So not only can't you see the difference between the Government's chief advisor and a footballer but you cannot see the difference between him and an MP.

Tell me. From what post should Kinnock be sacked?

Do his constituents have a say?

His story has already changed, it has the potential to unravel.

As for the Bot Farm launching Kinnock stories to distract, they miscalculated and released so many tweets that Cummings didn't even trend. :lol:

It's gone all Thick of It.

I'm not a big fan of Cummings myself but is it really necessary to say he looks like a paedophile or that he shouldn't be around children? He's still a human being.

Are you going to find a way of agreeing it was reasonable whilst not being a big fan?

Boris has said it was ‘reasonable’. Nice one.

Who is the poor stooge at the podium for this afternoon’s briefing?

I have a lot of sympathy for your view but if the stories about Cummings are true... if you live by the sword you should be prepared to die by the sword.

Funny how the story about Cummings surfaced in the Mirror and Guardian - which in pre Covid days were being excluded from Government briefings.

Well I had Steven Kinnock and Premier League footballers on my Whataboutery bingo card this morning. What do I win?

Funny you haven't mentioned Professors Ferguson and Calderwood whose positions in government are far more similar to Cummings rather than, say, er, Kyle Walker.

Edited by CB Fry

They were quick to throw Ferguson under a bus but as soon as it’s Cummings they all close rank. Their story is already constantly changing. One rule for us, one rule for them. He should be gone.

They were quick to throw Ferguson under a bus but as soon as it’s Cummings they all close rank. Their story is already constantly changing. One rule for us, one rule for them. He should be gone.

Hopefully every question this afternoon will highlight the rank hypocrisy of these cnts

So not only can't you see the difference between the Government's chief advisor and a footballer but you cannot see the difference between him and an MP.

Tell me. From what post should Kinnock be sacked?

Do his constituents have a say?

Weston's point seems to have gone right over your head, which isn't an unusual occurrence. It wasn't about whether there was any difference between the three examples he mentioned, it was a comparison between the different implications on their careers for the same misdemeanour. Personally I think that it was wrong that Cummings didn't observe the pandemic rules that he probably paid a part in forming, and accusations that it was a case of don't do as I do, do as I say are reasonable. But let's not have this cant about him, when Kinnock did the same thing. If you're so keen on comparisons between him and Cummings, which was the action more excusable on the grounds for the reason for it? Going to wish your elderly father a happy birthday, or taking your young child to be looked after by its grandparents?

Of course Kinnock cannot be sacked in the same way that a footballer or political advisor can. He could be deselected for a criminal act, but of course we are not talking about anything close to that. But he could resign, in the same way that many lefties claim Cummings should.

Wes we were *explicity* told that grandparents couldn’t look after young children. That was utter black and white. We were also told to isolate at home with any coronavirus symptoms. Not drive 260 miles. There’s no excuses, he should go.

Red Army

I’m surprised Cummings is allowed to have and/or be around children.

Are you a fan of eugenics? :rolleyes: Do you have children? What makes you think that you should have them, but not him?

He deliberately cultivates the dishevelled child molester look.

These two comments are despicable. What does a child molester look like? Please do send photos of you two and we can then make suggestions of the various characteristics of your dress and appearance and categorise you into undesirables of one sort or another.

Wes we were *explicity* told that grandparents couldn’t look after young children. That was utter black and white. We were also told to isolate at home with any coronavirus symptoms. Not drive 260 miles. There’s no excuses, he should go.

Will be millstone around Boris’s neck if he does stay. Which he will because Boris cannot process the level of detail needed to be PM.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus