Coronavirus

whelk

Then the only way to ensure that is to test all key / NHS workers every day (or at least every other day, depending on the incubation rate of the virus) - that's assuming the results come back instantly, rather than having to wait for cultures to be grown.

The current test takes 24 hours for the result to be confirmed.

A new test that has been developed that will deliver the results in just 90 minutes - but that is still 90 minutes that someone in the NHS cannot work whilst waiting for the result, unless you take a risk based approach and allow them to go straight to work in the hope they are negative.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52130230

In which case, they would develop symptoms and simply be retested. The opportunity costs of not having medical professionals at work are far greater than the costs of conducting a pretty standard test multiple times, if necessary.

And at the very least, they would know they were negative - preferable to someone who’s self-isolated for 14 days and believes they had the virus (when testing would have shown they didn’t) and returning to work and possibly thinking they’re invincible and not a risk to others.

Jesus wept, talk anout making up scenarios to suit your agenda.

The original post regarding this stated that 125,000 NHS were self isolating BECAUSE THEY WERE SHOWING SYMPTOMS!

To recap, the symptoms can be found here : https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/symptoms-and-what-to-do/

The original post was NOT claiming that 125,000 NHS had a bit of a cough, but had either a temperature - indicative of an infection - or a new persistant cough, coughing a LOT FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR. (For the record, I'm not entirely sure where the 125k came from and haven't noticed it reported anywhere).

I'm fairly sure those that work for the NHS and are trained medical professionals will know the difference between a bit of hayfever and Covid-19 symptoms, unless you think they are all just taking the **** and having some extra time off?

125,000 was the figure quoted yesterday in the Government briefing by the Director if Public Health England.

I suppose she is wrong as well 'cos a bloke who works in a cafe in Weston super mare must know more about immunology than her.

125,000 was the figure quoted yesterday in the Government briefing by the Director if Public Health England.

I suppose she is wrong as well 'cos a bloke who works in a cafe in Weston super mare must know more about immunology than her.

Like I said, I hadn't noticed it reported, I wasn't denying it and claiming it was wrong. I didn't watch the daily briefing yesterday because I was working.

She would isolate for SEVEN days if she had symptoms, NOT FOURTEEN.

It's really not difficult to understand.

Not if you have a high temperature (and obviously not if you live in a household with someone with symptoms - I have a friend who’s a frontline health professional and is self-isolating for precisely that reason).

But that’s neither here or there: the key point is that you’d still be back at work quicker with testing, even under a worst care scenario - it’s not difficult to understand pal.

At least, policymakers agree - thank f**k, you’re nowhere near policy.

Edited by shurlock

The original post regarding this stated that 125,000 NHS were self isolating BECAUSE THEY WERE SHOWING SYMPTOMS!

To recap, the symptoms can be found here : https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/symptoms-and-what-to-do/

The original post was NOT claiming that 125,000 NHS had a bit of a cough, but had either a temperature - indicative of an infection - or a new persistant cough, coughing a LOT FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR. (For the record, I'm not entirely sure where the 125k came from and haven't noticed it reported anywhere).

I'm fairly sure those that work for the NHS and are trained medical professionals will know the difference between a bit of hayfever and Covid-19 symptoms, unless you think they are all just taking the **** and having some extra time off?

I’m afraid I don’t have a clue what you’re talking about here. The 125,000 figure was publicly quoted.

Edited by shurlock

Some might be. But the reality is that for many the symptoms might be quite similar to, say, bronchitis or another chest infection. Or they might have another type of cold.

Every authority and expert on this issue says testing is key.

She would isolate for SEVEN days if she had symptoms, NOT FOURTEEN.

It's really not difficult to understand.

People are all over the place on this. Some claiming you can be back at work 10 mins after a positive test and others not realising it’s a 7 day period of isolation if you’re displaying symptoms. It’s an incredibly more complex issue than the test negative/back to work brigade make out.

My snap dragon is on the front line and to protect her 100%, she would need a test every other day at least, as would me, my son and my daughter who are living with her. It’s not really feasible, or affordable when you multiply that by the number of nhs workers. Testing can help, but getting NHS workers with symptoms who test negative back to work, isn’t one of the benefits.

As you have rightly pointed out the only thing that will make a blind bit of difference is a test to determine whether you’ve had it and are consequently immune. Once we get a test with a degree of accuracy, and proof you can’t re catch it, society can start to return to normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feck me, the arguing on here is pathetic. Its a real shame that another thread is being taken the usual path by the usual people. Spare a thought please guys for those of us that want to check into a thread to discuss important not stuff about a virus which is effecting all our lives in one way or another.

In terms of the ongoing spat, it's fair to say that none of you have a clue. None of us do, and your bickering ain't gonna create testing kits! It's an utterly, utterly pointless exchange and I doubt I'm not the only one who would rather you do it by pm on a thread on an extremely important matter.

In actual news, the BAT vaccine development is very real, and comforting. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/01/british-american-tobacco-plant-based-coronavirus-vaccine

People are all over the place on this. Some claiming you can be back at work 10 mins after a positive test and others not realising it’s a 7 day period of isolation if you’re displaying symptoms. It’s an incredibly more complex issue than the test negative/back to work brigade make out.

My snap dragon is on the front line and to protect her 100%, she would need a test every other day at least, as would me, my son and my daughter who are living with her. It’s not really feasible, or affordable when you multiply that by the number of nhs workers. Testing can help, but getting NHS workers with symptoms who test negative back to work, isn’t one of the benefits.

As you have rightly pointed out the only thing that will make a blind bit of difference is a test to determine whether you’ve had it and are consequently immune. Once we get a test with a degree of accuracy, and proof you can’t re catch it, society can start to return to normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s longer than 7 days if you still have a temperature and 2 weeks if you live with someone who has symptoms (from the day their symptoms started). What are the odds that nobody in the health service falls into either of those two categories (I know someone who does for starters). Whether it’s 7, 10 or 14 days (or longer), testing reduces the time NHS staff need to be away from work if they test negative.

Thank f**k, policy isn’t following the crack team of you, batman and little Westie.

Edited by shurlock
clarification - if they test negative

Feck me, the arguing on here is pathetic. Its a real shame that another thread is being taken the usual path by the usual people. Spare a thought please guys for those of us that want to check into a thread to discuss important not stuff about a virus which is effecting all our lives in one way or another.

In terms of the ongoing spat, it's fair to say that none of you have a clue. None of us do, and your bickering ain't gonna create testing kits! It's an utterly, utterly pointless exchange and I doubt I'm not the only one who would rather you do it by pm on a thread on an extremely important matter.

In actual news, the BAT vaccine development is very real, and comforting. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/01/british-american-tobacco-plant-based-coronavirus-vaccine

It’s a live conversation but given it’s not hugely controversial to anyone outside this thread, least of all experts and policymakers, I’ll stop posting on the matter.

Edited by shurlock

The current test takes 24 hours for the result to be confirmed.

A new test that has been developed that will deliver the results in just 90 minutes - but that is still 90 minutes that someone in the NHS cannot work whilst waiting for the result, unless you take a risk based approach and allow them to go straight to work in the hope they are negative.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52130230

There’s actually a test that gets results in 2 hours. It’s a company with labs in Southampton too (Novacyt). As a shareholder I’ve watched their share price go from 10p to £2 a share since this all started in China. I’ve kept my eye on them obviously extremely closely, and they gained CE mark for Europe in early February and now have FDA approval. They’re pretty much supplying most countries in the world now. The company were in discussions with PHE from January, make no mistake the tests have been available for months.

Whatever the benefits or non benefits of testing NHS staff etc, the tests have always been available to us in far far greater numbers.

There’s actually a test that gets results in 2 hours. It’s a company with labs in Southampton too (Novacyt). As a shareholder I’ve watched their share price go from 10p to £2 a share since this all started in China. I’ve kept my eye on them obviously extremely closely, and they gained CE mark for Europe in early February and now have FDA approval. They’re pretty much supplying most countries in the world now. The company were in discussions with PHE from January, make no mistake the tests have been available for months.

Whatever the benefits or non benefits of testing NHS staff etc, the tests have always been available to us in far far greater numbers.

The place is literally 3 minutes walk from where I am sitting now.

Article from the Echo:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18201164.chandlers-ford-company-primerdesign-launch-novel-coronavirus-test/

Not if you have a high temperature (and obviously not if you live in a household with someone with symptoms - I have a friend who’s a frontline health professional and is self-isolating for precisely that reason).

But that’s neither here or there: the key point is that you’d still be back at work quicker with testing, even under a worst care scenario - it’s not difficult to understand pal.

At least, policymakers agree - thank f**k, you’re nowhere near policy.

Jesus wept, you're all over the place pal.

This is what the NHS 111 says here : https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-advice/

How long to self-isolate

If you have symptoms

If you have symptoms of coronavirus, you'll need to self-isolate for 7 days.

After 7 days:

if you do not have a high temperature, you do not need to self-isolate

if you still have a high temperature, keep self-isolating until your temperature returns to normal

You do not need to self-isolate if you just have a cough after 7 days. A cough can last for several weeks after the infection has gone.

Obviously if you still have a high temperature after 7 days, you stay isolated - it even says it right there on the NHS111 website.

How on earth will testing get someone back to work sooner as you claim in the scenario where an NHS worker is isolation because they have symptoms?

Not sure why you've brought up living with other people who have the symptoms as the claim was that 125,000 NHS workers are isolating because THEY have symptoms. The rules are quite clearly different if someone you live with has the symptoms, but you're the only person debating that point!

Jesus wept, you're all over the place pal.

This is what the NHS 111 says here : https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-advice/

Obviously if you still have a high temperature after 7 days, you stay isolated - it even says it right there on the NHS111 website.

How on earth will testing get someone back to work sooner as you claim in the scenario where an NHS worker is isolation because they have symptoms?

Not sure why you've brought up living with other people who have the symptoms as the claim was that 125,000 NHS workers are isolating because THEY have symptoms. The rules are quite clearly different if someone you live with has the symptoms, but you're the only person debating that point!

Well done for backing up my point that you have to self isolate longer than 7 days if you still have a high temperature i.e. symptoms (as repeated in post 1361, if you struggle to understand). Give yourself a bone little westie :lol:

I'm sure you'll keep plugging away in your special little way -despite your struggles to dispute the substance of my argument and lighthouse's. Thankfully no policymakers are listening to your barmy analysis.

That's it from me I promised egg.

Edited by shurlock

You self isolate because if you have symptoms but haven't been tested then we have to assume that you do have the C19. Without testing 100% of healthcare workers who display symptoms are off work - assumed to be possitive - useless to the NHS.

Even if we can only test 10% of those people and only 10% of those come back negative and they only save 10% of the people they treat, that's still 125 people saved, or 2.5 July 7th bombings which never happened.

That's why we need to be testing. If you don't get that, I can't explain it any clearer.

Huge rise in jobless claims in the US.

Anthony Fauci, the leading US expert on infectious diseases, is receiving enhanced personal security after receiving threats from the usual suspects. Only in the US.

Edited by shurlock

Huge rise in jobless claims in the US.

Anthony Fauci, the leading US expert on infectious diseases, is receiving enhanced personal security after receiving threats from the usual suspects. Only in the US.

Losing over 3 million jobs a week. Mental.

Luckily, they have a tremendous leader. Probably the best.

You self isolate because if you have symptoms but haven't been tested then we have to assume that you do have the C19. Without testing 100% of healthcare workers who display symptoms are off work - assumed to be possitive - useless to the NHS.

if you have those symptoms that warrant a test (for example), you aint waltzing back into the ward with your scrubs on, regardless of a negative result.

And where has mass testing got them? They’re 3-4 days behind the UK in terms of deaths.

I think mass testing is a bit different to testing your health workers. Wether people like Boris Johnson work from home or not makes no difference to the fight against the virus, it’s different for frontline workers. If a doctor or consultant takes two weeks off work at this stage you can measure the effect in deaths.

Testing vital NHS staff as a no brainier, the only people who seem to disagree are the usual gammons on this place.

I wander how many brits have been furloughed.

Yeah, probably loads, in fairness. I've not heard of anything similar in the US (a country where people often get ten days'hokiday leave a year and seldom take that for fear of getting sacked)

Yeah, probably loads, in fairness. I've not heard of anything similar in the US (a country where people often get ten days'hokiday leave a year and seldom take that for fear of getting sacked)

I doubt there'll be anything fair for employees across the States, just laid off or dismissed. The numbers on furlough will be eye wateringly high. Without that scheme I'd be surprised if we weren't recording close or a 7 figure job loss count. I've Just read 900k job losses in Spain.

No, Shurlock is correct; as NHS111 states

"If you live with someone who has symptoms, you'll need to self-isolate for 14 days from the day their symptoms started."

That has never been debated, nor denied. It was only brought up by Sherlock to try and prove some dopey point of his.

The discussion has been about people self isolating who have symptoms - which is seven days (longer if the symptoms persist or get worse).

Well done for backing up my point that you have to self isolate longer than 7 days if you still have a high temperature i.e. symptoms (as repeated in post 1361, if you struggle to understand). Give yourself a bone little westie :lol:

Since when was that your point - that has always been the advice from the NHS!

But well done for backing up my point that if you have symptoms you need to self isolate for seven days ;)

Even if we can only test 10% of those people and only 10% of those come back negative and they only save 10% of the people they treat, that's still 125 people saved, or 2.5 July 7th bombings which never happened.

That's why we need to be testing. If you don't get that, I can't explain it any clearer.

I get it, I really do, it's really not that difficult a concept to grasp.

However, as LD, Batman and I have tried to point out, you cannot just test someone once and accept a negative result especially given the nature of the work of the frontline NHS.

Therefore, in order to ensure continued safety, you have to continually test the workforce - at least until a reliable antibody test has been developed and even then the results are only accurate around 28 days following infection.

Being conservative, you would need to test NHS workers every three days (allowing for incubation times). Currently the only test we have availabe takes 24 hours to return a reliable result (I'm aware that more are being developed that could give a 90-120 minute turnaround time, but we don't have them yet). So even testing every 3 days, you still only have each NHS worker available for 1 day out of 3, so are we not better off isolating them for 7 days given the current situation?

Further down the line, once the quicker tests are in operation, you would still need to test every 3 days, so taking a figure of 500,000 front line NHS staff, in order to be effective you would need to test 166,000 workers every day, which doesn't exactly seem feasible. Even if it were possible and the tests were instantaneous the minute they walked through the door, you would still lose in the region of 250,000 man hours per day whilst waiting for the test results to be confirmed (and that's just the staff being tested and doesn't include those doing the testing) - those numbers would of course be ever decreasing as more workers gain immunity from the virus, but again, knowing who they are would still depend on an antibody test.

I get it, I really do, it's really not that difficult a concept to grasp.

However, as LD, Batman and I have tried to point out, you cannot just test someone once and accept a negative result especially given the nature of the work of the frontline NHS.

Therefore, in order to ensure continued safety, you have to continually test the workforce - at least until a reliable antibody test has been developed and even then the results are only accurate around 28 days following infection.

Being conservative, you would need to test NHS workers every three days (allowing for incubation times). Currently the only test we have availabe takes 24 hours to return a reliable result (I'm aware that more are being developed that could give a 90-120 minute turnaround time, but we don't have them yet). So even testing every 3 days, you still only have each NHS worker available for 1 day out of 3, so are we not better off isolating them for 7 days given the current situation?

Further down the line, once the quicker tests are in operation, you would still need to test every 3 days, so taking a figure of 500,000 front line NHS staff, in order to be effective you would need to test 166,000 workers every day, which doesn't exactly seem feasible. Even if it were possible and the tests were instantaneous the minute they walked through the door, you would still lose in the region of 250,000 man hours per day whilst waiting for the test results to be confirmed (and that's just the staff being tested and doesn't include those doing the testing) - those numbers would of course be ever decreasing as more workers gain immunity from the virus, but again, knowing who they are would still depend on an antibody test.

I think that you are making yourself look rather silly now. Why dont you just agree to disagree with medical experts, the Government and the opinions of most people and move on?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uks-deadliest-day-set-easter-21802804.amp?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true

Looks like we’ll be back to normal in a couple of weeks as herd immunity will have been achieved. Dr Catherine Calderwood (CMO for Scotland) said today that for every death there are possibly 1,000 cases. 50,000 deaths = 50,000,000 cases, nearly 80% of the population infected.

Time to panic buy sun cream, we’ll be in the pub gardens in no time.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uks-deadliest-day-set-easter-21802804.amp?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true

Looks like we’ll be back to normal in a couple of weeks as herd immunity will have been achieved. Dr Catherine Calderwood (CMO for Scotland) said today that for every death there are possibly 1,000 cases. 50,000 deaths = 50,000,000 cases, nearly 80% of the population infected.

Way ahead of you on that, got some new patio furnature hopefully being delivered in time for a pleasant Sunday afternoon. 8)

As of March 28, the Imperial College bigwigs estimated the % of total UK population infected at between 1.5-5.4%. If you accept their estimates, it suggests we're nowhere near herd immunity.

As of March 28, the Imperial College bigwigs estimated the % of total UK population infected at between 1.5-5.4%. If you accept their estimates, it suggests we're nowhere near herd immunity.
I wasn’t being serious you turd.

Good lad.

The estimates are interesting in their own right as I hadn't seen them reported on here before.

Imperial is obviously where Dr Caroline Calderwood is getting her stats from. 1.5% of the population is roughly 1 million and there were 1,000 deaths on the 28th. 1 death = 1,000 cases.

Mobile phone masts in the UK have been set on fire over “baseless” theories linking 5G to coronavirus. Masts were set alight near Birmingham on Thursday and in the Merseyside area on Friday.

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport said it was aware of inaccurate information being shared online, adding that there was “no credible evidence” of a link between 5G and coronavirus.

wtf? No limit to how dumb some people can be.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52164358

Mobile phone masts in the UK have been set on fire over “baseless” theories linking 5G to coronavirus. Masts were set alight near Birmingham on Thursday and in the Merseyside area on Friday.

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport said it was aware of inaccurate information being shared online, adding that there was “no credible evidence” of a link between 5G and coronavirus.

wtf? No limit to how dumb some people can be.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52164358

Weston and LD?

Weston and LD?

Yep, definitely me - put me down for the one in Merseyside about 200 miles from my house (ignore the fact that the ones in Bristol are much, much closer).

I've always been a firm believer that radio waves cause viruses. This week I'll be setting fire to badgers because they, without a shadow of a doubt, are responsible for dolphins being caught in fishing nets.

I've always been a firm believer that radio waves cause viruses. This week I'll be setting fire to badgers because they, without a shadow of a doubt, are responsible for dolphins being caught in fishing nets.

Haha. There is more (infinitesimally small) chance the dolphins are being affected by 5G. It's known they can be disoriented by sonar and side scanners used for seabed surveys.

Edited by buctootim

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus