Coronavirus

whelk

I've seen a lot of foreign countries spraying their roads with disinfectant, can anyone explain that one to me? Doesn't seem like the kind of place you'd transfer the virus to or touch to pick up the virus from. Even if you did touch the exact same spot with your hand that someone had sneezed on, for some unknown reason, would the virus not have denatured after a few minutes on hot black tarmac in the sunshine?

No idea, but agree with you, seems unlikely to be effective. Maybe its a public reassurance thing.

Norway implemented a lock-down on March 12th, 12 days BEFORE it's tenth death from the virus.

Most European countries did not implement a lock-down until at least ten deaths had occurred. In the UK, our tenth death was recorded on 14 March and we did not impmement a lock down until ten days later, on 24 March.

In addition, Norway has tested 101, 986 people for the virus - or 18,996 tests per million people compared to the UK's 2,250 tests per million.

Norway now says it has R0 down to 0.7, meaning that on average, a carrier infects less than one other person and that things appear to be "under control".

Looks like a success story. Seems to back up the WHO advice that testing, tracing and early action is key. Seems to go against doing nothing for weeks and pretending it's a strategy.

Obviously Norway's smaller population and wealth is useful but, in hindsight, we probably should have taken proper measures sooner. Let's hope our situation improves soon.

Norway implemented a lock-down on March 12th, 12 days BEFORE it's tenth death from the virus.

Most European countries did not implement a lock-down until at least ten deaths had occurred. In the UK, our tenth death was recorded on 14 March and we did not impmement a lock down until ten days later, on 24 March.

In addition, Norway has tested 101, 986 people for the virus - or 18,996 tests per million people compared to the UK's 2,250 tests per million.

Norway now says it has R0 down to 0.7, meaning that on average, a carrier infects less than one other person and that things appear to be "under control".

Looks like a success story. Seems to back up the WHO advice that testing, tracing and early action is key. Seems to go against doing nothing for weeks and pretending it's a strategy.

Obviously Norway's smaller population and wealth is useful but, in hindsight, we probably should have taken proper measures sooner. Let's hope our situation improves soon.

Yep. Its much better and easier to keep the genie in the bottle than to try and stuff it back in after its escaped

I've seen a lot of foreign countries spraying their roads with disinfectant, can anyone explain that one to me? Doesn't seem like the kind of place you'd transfer the virus to or touch to pick up the virus from. Even if you did touch the exact same spot with your hand that someone had sneezed on, for some unknown reason, would the virus not have denatured after a few minutes on hot black tarmac in the sunshine?

How come you are still travelling?

some of them have been awful throughout. 3x Chris Whitty said he can't comment on the PM being advised to go to hospital as he is not his Doctor, yet they kept repeating the question.

Today, the same question will be posed (throughout the day) "who is in charge". We all know it is now Raab (whether you like it or not). So not sure why it needs to be asked 254 times

Although Peston will phrase his question with his usual eccentric semi-sneer and pause but yeah will be same as Laura Kuenssberg and Sophie Ridge.

I'm surprised we aren't doing it. People cough outside, lands on road/pavement, stays there, people walk through it, tread it into house. I think people are underestimating how long the virus can live for.

I'm surprised we aren't doing it. People cough outside, lands on road/pavement, stays there, people walk through it, tread it into house. I think people are underestimating how long the virus can live for.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Being exposed to a low dose of virus or bacteria can mean you develop immunity without developing the disease or only an attenuated version of it.

A lot of the people who have developed no or only very mild symptoms probably received very low dose infections or weakened virus that was dead or almost dead from hanging around on a door handle or somewhere for a period of time.

Edited by buctootim

Not necessarily a bad thing. Being exposed to a low dose of virus or bacteria can mean you develop immunity without developing the disease or only an attenuated version of it.

A lot of the people who have developed no or only very mild symptoms probably received very low dose infections or weakened virus that was almost dead from hanging around on a door handle or somewhere for a period of time.

What are you basing your opinion on?

What are you basing your opinion on?

The principle underpinning all vaccinations. Vaccinations use weakened live, dead or man made elements of viruses / bacteria to generate an immune response without getting the full blown disease. Obviously vaccines are very carefully structured to be safe and deliberately exposing yourself would be risky - but there are almost certainly many people who have effectively received a vaccine type dose accidentally.

https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/types-of-vaccine

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-questions-about-covid-19-and-viral-load/

Edited by buctootim

How come you are still travelling?

I’m a newt, we can’t transmit the virus.

Live on someone’s hands or on handles maybe. On a hot, dry road road in places like Dubai and Spain, I’d have though we’re talking minutes, maybe an hour or two, rather than days.

I’m no medical expert so if they think it helps, fair enough. Just seems like a lot of effort and resource for a very low risk of transmission. You’d need someone with the disease to cough, not covering their mouth, whilst jaywalking, then someone else would have to cross in exactly the same place, put their foot exactly on the spot some aerosols landed, then go home and touch the soles of their shoes and touch their face/eat without washing their hands.

It could happen but Occam’s razor and all that. I think more could be achieved by having mandatory checkpoints on pavements where you have to disinfect your hands to proceed, as an example.

I think Tim is probably right, some governments just want to appear proactive.

The principle underpinning all vaccinations. Vaccinations use weakened live, dead or man made elements of viruses / bacteria to generate an immune response without getting the full blown disease. Obviously vaccines are very carefully structured to be safe and deliberately exposing yourself would be risky - but there are almost certainly many people who have effectively received a vaccine type dose accidentally.

https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/types-of-vaccine

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-questions-about-covid-19-and-viral-load/

So you're assuming that walking through virus droplets and transferring them to our homes presents a prospect of vaccination. I'd prefer to work on the assumption that it presents a risk of infection and act accordingly.

Youtube takes down a David Icke interview;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52198946

"

During the interview, Mr Icke falsely claimed there "is a link between 5G and this health crisis".

And when asked for his reaction to reports of 5G masts being set on fire in England, he responded: "If 5G continues and reaches where they want to take it, human life as we know it is over... so people have to make a decision."

"Mr Icke also falsely claimed that a coronavirus vaccine, when one is developed, will include "nanotechnology microchips" that would allow humans to be controlled."

So you're assuming that walking through virus droplets and transferring them to our homes presents a prospect of vaccination. I'd prefer to work on the assumption that it presents a risk of infection and act accordingly.

What does acting accordingly mean? Attempting to wash with bleach everything that comes into your home? How long will you keep that up for? Years? because the virus probably isnt going to have disappeared once the end of isolation is announced.

Did any of you have milder symptoms?

Just asking because a couple of weeks ago I felt a bit iffy at work (just tired and feverish) so went home, had quick nap and was absolutely fine. Because I didn't have a temperature or cough didn't think anything of it but I did lose my sense of taste/smell for a few days. Then the exact same thing happened to the Mrs. It's only afterwards when the taste/smell thing was listed as a possible symptom we tough we might have had it.

We all had slightly different symptoms. I was the only one to lose both taste and smell, my partner lost taste only. Two of my other mates didn’t get much of a temperature but had a cough and felt wiped out for two weeks. My other half is still ill and has just been sent home from work today after feeling shivery and weak. She also has a headache above one of her eyes which I’ve read is another symptom.

What does acting accordingly mean? Attempting to wash with bleach everything that comes into your home? How long will you keep that up for? Years? because the virus probably isnt going to have disappeared once the end of isolation is announced.

I take shoes off outside and leave them there and use just outside. A simple measure, and preferable to your DIY vaccination attempt.

I take shoes off outside and leave them there and use just outside. A simple measure, and preferable to your DIY vaccination attempt.

Do you use gloves when you take you shoes off or go outside? What do you do with the gloves? Ever touch your face? What about postal deliveries? what about food you carry into the house, who has touched that? Got a cat or dog, where has that been? Family members, do you know they are following the same routine?

This isnt like waiting for a bomb to go off and emerging when its all over.

We all had slightly different symptoms. I was the only one to lose both taste and smell, my partner lost taste only. Two of my other mates didn’t get much of a temperature but had a cough and felt wiped out for two weeks. My other half is still ill and has just been sent home from work today after feeling shivery and weak. She also has a headache above one of her eyes which I’ve read is another symptom.

Cheers for replying - hope you all get over it ok.

I've got a funny feeling we've had it as the symptoms were just a bit weird.

The concept of viral load has already been widely discussed. It's very likely that a low dose may induce mild symptoms and immunity. Its not a DIY vaccination, he's just stating a fact.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238819-does-a-high-viral-load-or-infectious-dose-make-covid-19-worse/

Egg, you strike me as someone who worries an awful lot about an awful lot of things!

If, as is expected, 80% of the population will be infected at some point, are you not just delaying the inevitable - or are you hoping to hold out for another year or so whilst a vaccine is created?

Do you use gloves when you take you shoes off or go outside? What do you do with the gloves? Ever touch your face? What about postal deliveries? what about food you carry into the house, who has touched that? Got a cat or dog, where has that been? Family members, do you know they are following the same routine?

This isnt like waiting for a bomb to go off and emerging when its all over.

I'm not running through an inventory of my cleaning standards and approach. I'm happy that I'm keeping myself and my family as safe as possible. I'd rather that than pretend I'm some pseudo expert - I mean no disrespect, but you appear to believe that you have more knowledge and expertise than I suspect you do on this and any subject you discuss.

Egg, you strike me as someone who worries an awful lot about an awful lot of things!

If, as is expected, 80% of the population will be infected at some point, are you not just delaying the inevitable - or are you hoping to hold out for another year or so whilst a vaccine is created?

Not at all mate. One thing I don't do is worry - it's the most futile waste of energy. Write down how many issues in your life have been solved by worry!

Instead, I do what I can to help myself.

To be fair it's probably quite wise to hold out until the NHS are able to guarantee you proper care and not end up hoping your clogs on a trolly in a corridor somewhere waiting for a space in the ICU.

I'm not running through an inventory of my cleaning standards and approach. I'm happy that I'm keeping myself and my family as safe as possible. I'd rather that than pretend I'm some pseudo expert - I mean no disrespect, but you appear to believe that you have more knowledge and expertise than I suspect you do on this and any subject you discuss.

As Plastic said, what I posted is well known established fact - backed up by the links I posted. Its you who is acting on tosh. Burnt any 5G masts recently?

To be fair it's probably quite wise to hold out until the NHS are able to guarantee you proper care and not end up hoping your clogs on a trolly in a corridor somewhere waiting for a space in the ICU.
Indeed. I've been doing everything I can not to get it at the moment including wiping down packages that have come from outside. It may well be the case that everyone gets it eventually but I want to decrease my chances of getting it when it's at its peak because that reduces my chances of survival.

As Plastic said, what I posted is well known established fact - backed up by the links I posted. Its you who is acting on tosh. Burnt any 5G masts recently?

Pathetic. Just because I don't share your apparent wish to catch just a bit of the virus in the hope that I don't get too infected, you think I'm a mast saboteur. Grow up mate.

Indeed. I've been doing everything I can not to get it at the moment including wiping down packages that have come from outside. It may well be the case that everyone gets it eventually but I want to decrease my chances of getting it when it's at its peak because that reduces my chances of survival.

Indeed, but if you only get a little bit you'll be OK. Tim said so, and he knows everything.

Pathetic. Just because I don't share your apparent wish to catch just a bit of the virus in the hope that I don't get too infected, you think I'm a mast saboteur. Grow up mate.

"Obviously vaccines are very carefully structured to be safe and deliberately exposing yourself would be risky - but there are almost certainly many people who have effectively received a vaccine type dose accidentally".

Which part didnt you grasp?

Edited by buctootim

Plus the fact that whilst we may not have a vaccine, we may discover drugs and treatments which do alleviate some of the symptoms and can reduce your chances of becoming seriously ill. After all, we don’t have a vaccine for HIV but I’d rather catch it now than in 1985.

Plus the fact that whilst we may not have a vaccine, we may discover drugs and treatments which do alleviate some of the symptoms and can reduce your chances of becoming seriously ill. After all, we don’t have a vaccine for HIV but I’d rather catch it now than in 1985.
Exactly. I fail to see why everyone wouldn't do what they could and take sensible actions to reduce their chance of catching it now. At least if I get it and do have a serious action I can say that I've done everything I feasibly could to prevent myself and my family from dying.

"Obviously vaccines are very carefully structured to be safe and deliberately exposing yourself would be risky - but there are almost certainly many people who have effectively received a vaccine type dose accidentally".

Which part didnt you grasp?

By all means give a gentle lick to a covid sufferer if you feel that'll give you a natural vaccination. I'll pass thanks.

Exactly. I fail to see why everyone wouldn't do what they could and take sensible actions to reduce their chance of catching it now. At least if I get it and do have a serious action I can say that I've done everything I feasibly could to prevent myself and my family from dying.

By all means give a gentle lick to a covid sufferer if you feel that'll give you a natural vaccination. I'll pass thanks.

Christ almighty. Everyone is doing what they can to avoid infection, this hasn’t been disputed. I’m washing my hands after taking in the post, just like probably every other person in the country. Nobody suggested intentionally infecting themselves, simply that mild infection is how vaccines work. Do you not believe this is true?

Licking infected people? What the fûck are you on about?

Christ almighty. Everyone is doing what they can to avoid infection, this hasn’t been disputed. I’m washing my hands after taking in the post, just like probably every other person in the country. Nobody suggested intentionally infecting themselves, simply that mild infection is how vaccines work. Do you not believe this is true?

Nobody has disputed how vaccines work. In response to my comment that I leave my shoes outside rather than walking anything in, it appeared to be suggested by the fountain of knowledge Tim that it's OK as it'd be a diluted dose and may even give a natural vaccination. If that was being said, it's fecking stupid, as none of us know what is a "safe" dose - if it was that simple we'd all be getting a vaccine in our arse. If that wasn't what was being said, feck knows what point he was trying to make.

Anyone on here on furlough?

My company just emailed out saying they’re looking to put teams on furlough over next few weeks.

No, but we have furloughed some. Better than being made redundant. They offering to pay the extra 20%?

Edited by egg

Licking infected people? What the fûck are you on about?

Why have you quoted me?

Are the BBC actively speaking to Asian victims or is it more prevalent within some cultures?

They mentioned BMI being factor which I hadn’t heard before.

Yes that was interesting. I always thought that BMI is a rather crude measure of health as it seems to discriminate against big, strong people.

The England rugby team had better watch out. They have high BMI's even though they are all fit young men.

Are the BBC actively speaking to Asian victims or is it more prevalent within some cultures?

Isn't there evidence that they are more predisposed to things like diabetes?

Wouldn't surprise me at all that having a high BMI is a risk factor. I heard earlier today that Boris Johnson is only 5 foot 9 in and over 16 stones.

High BMI is associated with type II diabetes which is an ‘underlying health condition’.

Generally, if you’re not fully fit and healthy you are at greater risk. Blood type has a slight correlation too.

Surely, logically if you have more mass then you need more oxygen to support normal metabolic and organ function. Obviously your lungs don’t grow as you put on weight, so each alveoli has to work that little bit harder.

It will be genuinely interesting to see what happens in Wuhan, now that they’re - to a certain extent - open for business again. Obviously there will be more cases and deaths, which Beijing will want to keep hush but will it be at a low and sustainable level, or will they end up with a secondary spike and lock down.

Then surely you would have wanted to catch it about 2 weeks ago, thus ensuring the hospitals were all but empty 7-10 days ago should you have needed them?

Don’t know, just basic details tonight. Find out more over the coming days and weeks.

Hope I’ll be ok due to role I do

Good luck, hope all is ok. We have some retail customers who have furloughed the majority of their staff, but all have had their pay made up to 100% by the employer.

I believe as an employee you have the right to refuse, which would leave the business needing to either retain you, renegotiate your role, or serve you notice. Some of these options may be preferable dependant in the furlough package you are offered.

Having had the BCG vaccinations offers some protection against COVID-19 ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8197247/Coronavirus-death-rate-SIX-TIMES-lower-countries-use-BCG-vaccine.html

Receiving antibodies from recovered patients aids recovery.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/plasma-from-coronavirus-survivors-found-to-help-severely-ill-patients

Edited by buctootim

If Boris doesn't pull through you can take the thread about him in the lounge and rearrange the title words. Hopefully he pulls through as I don't want anyone to have to lose a loved one, even one I don't agree much with. Will be interesting to see how this changes the people who are in charge's perception of the pandemic.

Then surely you would have wanted to catch it about 2 weeks ago, thus ensuring the hospitals were all but empty 7-10 days ago should you have needed them?
That's an odd thing to say. Clearly my preference is not to get it at all but if getting it is virtually inevitable as some are suggesting, then I'd rather not get it when the virus is at its peak.

Good luck, hope all is ok. We have some retail customers who have furloughed the majority of their staff, but all have had their pay made up to 100% by the employer.

I believe as an employee you have the right to refuse, which would leave the business needing to either retain you, renegotiate your role, or serve you notice. Some of these options may be preferable dependant in the furlough package you are offered.

Furloughing has to be by mutual agreement so the employee can refuse but that would lead to some difficult decisions, If you were offered the full 100% why would you refuse it?

Furloughing has to be by mutual agreement so the employee can refuse but that would lead to some difficult decisions, If you were offered the full 100% why would you refuse it?

Because it might help the economic position of your company, and therefore give you a better chance of remaining employed, rather than thinking short term and watching your company go bust.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus