Coronavirus

whelk

We have been advised against large gatherings of people. Aren’t schools large gatherings of people?

Currently in Tescos. Rammed. Still no loo rolls dried pasta etc. Just as well the public heeded the plea against panic buying.

Isn't Tesco a large gathering of people?

We have been advised against large gatherings of people. Aren’t schools large gatherings of people?

Currently in Tescos. Rammed. Still no loo rolls dried pasta etc. Just as well the public heeded the plea against panic buying.

When were we been advised against large gatherings?

For someone constantly harping on about the govt not shutting society down, why are you in a large gathering?

Get a grip, snowflakes...

Tell Boris and your hero Donald.

Can you find a recent, ( within the last month ), article by any immunologist or microbiologist, anywhere in the World, that agrees with your position ?

Edited by badgerx16

They've been criticised here for not shutting things down sooner, but here they are trying to slow the spread, so that services can cope. The UK is going for this herd thing and just letting people catch it, so things are bound to be different.

Despite the herd thing being debunked in many quarters. Happy days!

A lot of people here decided to self-isolate by heading off to their cabins in the mountains, which most families have. They are now planning to send out the national guard to remove them, because it means thousands of extra people are added to tiny rural communities that won't be able to deal with the burden if they get sick.

Tell Boris and your hero Donald.

Can you find a recent, ( within the last month ), article by any immunologist or microbiologist, anywhere in the World, that agrees with your position ?

How does the new coronavirus compare with the flu?

By Rachael Rettner - Senior Writer 10 days ago

Which one is more worrisome?

Editor's note: Updated March 6 with the latest information on COVID-19.

The new coronavirus outbreak has made headlines in recent weeks, but there's another viral epidemic hitting countries around the world: flu season. But how do these viruses compare, and which one is really more worrisome?

So far, the new coronavirus has led to more than 100,000 illnesses and more than 3,000 deaths worldwide. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 34 million illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Now run along and buy some toilet rolls...

Despite the herd thing being debunked in many quarters. Happy days!
And you've been in a "rammed" Tesco today so your point is you want to complain about the government but you're going to carry on doing whatever the fu ck you want.

And you've been in a "rammed" Tesco today so your point is you want to complain about the government but you're going to carry on doing whatever the fu ck you want.

What is your point? I don’t have any symptoms and I have not been advised to self isolate. I need to buy food. Schools are still open.

How does the new coronavirus compare with the flu?

Now run along and buy some toilet rolls...

[/font]

[/font]

Why do you persist with being such a complete t1t ? That link says that COVID-19 is more of a problem than seasonal flu due to so much of it's epidemiology being unknown, that there is no communal immunity, unlike flu, there is no current or pending vaccine, unlike flu, and the death rate from COViD is far higher.

Edited by badgerx16

What is your point? I don’t have any symptoms and I have not been advised to self isolate. I need to buy food. Schools are still open.
My children don't have any symptoms, have not been advised to self isolate and they need an education. So pretty good they are at school today, yes?

My children don't have any symptoms, have not been advised to self isolate and they need an education. So pretty good they are at school today, yes?

So how come schools in other countries are closing schools down? Just because your kids are fine today it doesn’t mean they will be fine tomorrow. I assume there are several hundred other children in the school. What about them?

To be fair, my little one is in school. As a kid my understanding is that she could carry and pass on the disease symptom free. Whilst i's great that she's unlikely to suffer if she gets it, I may suffer if I receive it from her, and others I could pass it to.

The Norwegian PM said to Norwegian kids "By being home you are helping other people not to be contaminated and get sick. It is important for those who already have a disease, or who are very old."

That makes sense. Sending kids out there to catch something to pass to others is monumentally stupid imo. If our approach is correct, pretty much everyone has to be wrong.

So how come schools in other countries are closing schools down? Just because your kids are fine today it doesn’t mean they will be fine tomorrow. I assume there are several hundred other children in the school. What about them?
But it's fine for you to wander around a "rammed" Tesco. That's for backing up my earlier point.

There's lots of sensible reasons to not shut all the schools down at this stage.

Why do you persist with being such a complete t1t ? That link says that COVID-19 is more of a problem than seasonal flu due to so much of it's epidemiology being unknown, that there is no communal immunity, unlike flu, there is no current or pending vaccine, unlike flu, and the death rate from COViD is far higher.

Back on ignore for you, petal.

My original point was:

So far, the new coronavirus has led to more than 100,000 illnesses and more than 3,000 deaths worldwide. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 34 million illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

So go and have a lie down and stop reading my fact filled and informed posts, otherwise you'll have a beakdown.

But it's fine for you to wander around a "rammed" Tesco. That's for backing up my earlier point.

There's lots of sensible reasons to not shut all the schools down at this stage.

You clearly don’t want schools closed down as it will inconvenience you. That’s the spirit. Tens of thousands of children pose a greater threat to the spread of the virus than one bloke. I am not sure how that backs up your point. Schools shutting in New York today. Perhaps you should explain to them that they are mistaken.

My original point was:

So go and have a lie down and stop reading my fact filled and informed posts, otherwise you'll have a beakdown.

What's your point? You might as well compare it with road traffic accidents or alien abductions.

I decided to humour you by looking at your article and video and my observations are:

- it doesn't add much to "main stream media" - Trump boner alert! - it seems fairly consistent with it, in terms of substance

- if we must compare it with flu, it points out that:

- there seems to be a much higher infection rate (anyone with an understanding of maths and exponential relationships will get the significance of this)

- there is no vaccine

- there is no reservoir of immune humans

- the death rate seems higher than flu

So, basically, it supports the proposition that this is a much more serious issue than seasonal flu.

So, do you want to have another go at making your point because we're all buggered if we have any clue what it is?

Better still, how about a period of internet self-isolation?

My original point was:

If I am on ignore then I can quite freely call you a t1t again. Yes your article is 'fact filled', but most of them go against your line of argument. With my degree in Microbiology ( including virology and epidemiology ) I am probably better qualified than you to comment on this subject. Oh, and as I am not a parrot, I will find it difficult to have a 'beakdown'.

As Eleanor Bron said to Peter Cook when concluding their "It's a balloon" sketch in The Secret Policeman's Ball, "Pr1ck".

We dont actuallyt know that. In most countries the only people being tested are those with symptoms severe enough to warrant hospital treatment - so of course the death rate appears much higher.

True. Although to some extent the death rate is less of a concern than the R number. If there is a very high rate of infection which is not slowed or reduced and a lot of cases requiring intensive treatment within that infected cohort then there will be a significant number of indirectly caused deaths, as well as a huge economic and social impact.

We dont actuallyt know that. In most countries the only people being tested are those with symptoms severe enough to warrant hospital treatment - so of course the death rate appears much higher.

WHO are predicting 3.5% death rate.

Flu is 0.2%

17.5 more deadly on WHO figures.

Add in that it's seemingly much more contagious.

Borders, cities, and countries don't get shutdown because of Flu. The response of many western countries highlights the seriousness of this stuff.

Yes your article is 'fact filled', but most of them go against your line of argument. With my degree in Microbiology ( including virology and epidemiology ) I am probably better qualified than you to comment on this subject.

Alright, one last bite before you're on ignore.

You are obviously a very poor microbiologist, because to conclude that "unlike flu, ...the death rate from COViD is far higher", from an article that states "This means COVID-19 is something of a wild card in terms of how far it will spread and how many deaths it will cause. Though the death rate for COVID-19 is unclear, most research suggests it is higher than that of the seasonal flu." shows how poor. Alarmist, unscientific, biased and a poor post. I will expect better from your next assignment, but unfortunately I will be unable to read it. My point was about the number of deaths, anyway, not the rate. Your point was apparently that you lack any objectivity, like all the other liberal snowflakes on here.

Goodbye and I wish you well in your next trip to Tesco's to panic buy canned goods and toilet rolls...

Alright, one last bite before you're on ignore.

You are obviously a very poor microbiologist, because to conclude that "unlike flu, ...the death rate from COViD is far higher", from an article that states "This means COVID-19 is something of a wild card in terms of how far it will spread and how many deaths it will cause. Though the death rate for COVID-19 is unclear, most research suggests it is higher than that of the seasonal flu." shows how poor. Alarmist, unscientific, biased and a poor post. I will expect better from your next assignment, but unfortunately I will be unable to read it. My point was about the number of deaths, anyway, not the rate. Your point was apparently that you lack any objectivity, like all the other liberal snowflakes on here.

Goodbye and I wish you well in your next trip to Tesco's to panic buy canned goods and toilet rolls...

Hasn't Anthony Fauci said something similar? Your boyfriend Trump is obviously being advised by the wrong people.

What the WHO DG said was “Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died,” - which is a very different thing. If you tested a random population of say 50,000 people you would detect far more cases which would give you a different death rate.

True. Although to some extent the death rate is less of a concern than the R number. If there is a very high rate of infection which is not slowed or reduced and a lot of cases requiring intensive treatment within that infected cohort then there will be a significant number of indirectly caused deaths, as well as a huge economic and social impact.

Don't disagree. The main problem with COVID19 compared with flu is its new, the data is lacking so countries are, sensibly, operating on the precautionary principle. That is what is causing the disruption

Is there any Garlic left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You clearly don’t want schools closed down as it will inconvenience you. That’s the spirit. Tens of thousands of children pose a greater threat to the spread of the virus than one bloke. I am not sure how that backs up your point. Schools shutting in New York today. Perhaps you should explain to them that they are mistaken.

You sound hysterical. If it's ok for you (and thousands of others) to go to Tesco, why is it not ok for kids to go to school?

Not really, but great projection from a man happy to do whatever he wants but judges everyone else - same old SOG.

Personally I think the reasons given to keep the schools open make sense, and the blind panic of "close everything shut everything now" is misguided because it is creating a belief that if we all hide under the table for fortnight then it will all go away and we can all go back to the cinema in April. There's already a huge swath of the population working from home now, commuting has been cut, people have been taken out of circulation if you like. That's a huge national behavioural change that may well be effective.

But you keep going to rammed supermarkets and then complaining that other people aren't doing what you want. In two weeks time when the schools do shut I look forward for you demanding martial law to keep everyone else behind closed doors just as long as you can still get to Tesco.

You really are an angry person aren’t you. You get yourself worked up about a full supermarket but are happy that your kids are going to a full school? Can you see the inconsistency there? Let’s hope that before the schools close your kids don’t infect you or anybody else eh.

By the way, where did I say that I am complaining about the supermarket? Yes, I would like to be able to buy loo rolls. Dont you use them or have you already stockpiled? Yes, I would like to buy hand sanitiser so that I am less likely to pass anything on to anybody else. No I am not the only person who thinks that panic buying is unnecessary and a nuisance. But knock yourself out and keep having a dig if it makes you feel better. It’s a shame that you haven’t got an email address for all of the other people in supermarkets today. You could have a field day.

Flu is 0.2%

17.5 more deadly on WHO figures.

Add in that it's seemingly much more contagious.

Borders, cities, and countries don't get shutdown because of Flu. The response of many western countries highlights the seriousness of this stuff.

Death rate of a very small number tested or across the world population?

Not really, but great projection from a man happy to do whatever he wants but judges everyone else - same old SOG.

Personally I think the reasons given to keep the schools open make sense, and the blind panic of "close everything shut everything now" is misguided because it is creating a belief that if we all hide under the table for fortnight then it will all go away and we can all go back to the cinema in April. There's already a huge swath of the population working from home now, commuting has been cut, people have been taken out of circulation if you like. That's a huge national behavioural change that may well be effective.

But you keep going to rammed supermarkets and then complaining that other people aren't doing what you want. In two weeks time when the schools do shut I look forward for you demanding martial law to keep everyone else behind closed doors just as long as you can still get to Tesco.

I can only speak for Norway, but here people are expecting it to last beyond two weeks.

It's not expected to disappear either, but the infection rate was leaping, which overwhelms the health services, so the idea is to slow it down massively, so that they can cope with the numbers. I have zero personal knowledge, just trying to clear up the reasoning behind shutting things down.

Shops are open though and still quite busy. They are probably the last remaining gathering point, but people are encouraged not to visit unless they need to. People are pretty stupid generally though.

As far as I understood, the UK wants the infection to be allowed to spread through the population freely, or that's what I heard, so then it would make sense to keep everything open. I don't think anyone really knows what the end result of either method is going to be, do they? Generally I'd listen to the experts, but as always, people who have decided to accept one "truth" will sneer at people who have decided to accept another.

You sound hysterical. If it's ok for you (and thousands of others) to go to Tesco, why is it not ok for kids to go to school?

I am not hysterical. I just find it puzzling why someone should get worked up about going to a supermarket yet is happy for schools to stay open. If food shops close, how are we supposed to eat?

You really are an angry person aren’t you. You get yourself worked up about a full supermarket but are happy that your kids are going to a full school? Can you see the inconsistency there? Let’s hope that before the schools close your kids don’t infect you or anybody else eh.

By the way, where did I say that I am complaining about the supermarket? Yes, I would like to be able to buy loo rolls. Dont you use them or have you already stockpiled? Yes, I would like to buy hand sanitiser so that I am less likely to pass anything on to anybody else. No I am not the only person who thinks that panic buying is unnecessary and a nuisance. But knock yourself out and keep having a dig if it makes you feel better. It’s a shame that you haven’t got an email address for all of the other people in supermarkets today. You could have a field day.

I think some of ranting we have seen from you this topic already shows who the angry person is here. You decided from the get-go that everything "the Tories" or Boris does is going to be wrong and you haven't veered from that.

I haven't stock piled anything but nice attempt at a dig based on fu ck all.

If my kids catch it then fair enough,if they give it to me then fair enough. I'd rather have it now than in June.

Theres too many people who think the objective is completely stop the disease and that this can be achieved by no one leaving the house for a fortnight. Its absolutely bizarre.

Shutting the schools tomorrow will make negligible difference and is almost certainly counter productive.

I can only speak for Norway, but here people are expecting it to last beyond two weeks.

It's not expected to disappear either, but the infection rate was leaping, which overwhelms the health services, so the idea is to slow it down massively, so that they can cope with the numbers. I have zero personal knowledge, just trying to clear up the reasoning behind shutting things down.

Shops are open though and still quite busy. They are probably the last remaining gathering point, but people are encouraged not to visit unless they need to. People are pretty stupid generally though.

As far as I understood, the UK wants the infection to be allowed to spread through the population freely, or that's what I heard, so then it would make sense to keep everything open. I don't think anyone really knows what the end result of either method is going to be, do they? Generally I'd listen to the experts, but as always, people who have decided to accept one "truth" will sneer at people who have decided to accept another.

Interesting - I think the UK are desperate to avoid a "second wave" of closing everything down again just as everyone comes out of a period of lockdown. So that's their thinking, and it feels sensible. This week will already see hugely change in national behaviour so sensible to hold back on others for a bit longer.

Being that people are already going apesh it about packets of rice there is a perfectly sensible argument for that approach. But the communication needs to be better and more honest from the government.

How do you know it will not make any difference? Why are they doing it in other countries if it is a waste of time? No, I don’t have any confidence in Johnson based on his performance so far - along with Trump. Neither instill confidence as far as I am concerned but if you are fine with that it is your choice. I have no idea if you stock pile or not, but given that you are seemingly not bothered about unnecessary empty shelves, again that is down to you. I am quite happy to stop going to the supermarket, but perhaps you would be kind enough to let me know where I should by our food from. My wife would also like to eat.

Interesting - I think the UK are desperate to avoid a "second wave" of closing everything down again just as everyone comes out of a period of lockdown. So that's their thinking, and it feels sensible. This week will already see hugely change in national behaviour so sensible to hold back on others for a bit longer.

Being that people are already going apesh it about packets of rice there is a perfectly sensible argument for that approach. But the communication needs to be better and more honest from the government.

So you can have a dig at the government but I can’t?

I am not hysterical. I just find it puzzling why someone should get worked up about going to a supermarket yet is happy for schools to stay open. If food shops close, how are we supposed to eat?
No one is saying shut the food shops sweetheart.

Soggy is edging towards a state of panic. Most points he raises is just a re-hash if his hatred of the government.

We are only a few days from Tommy R and Katie H being dragged into this.

All very bizarre and a reflection on why our governments very gradual slow down is the correct way to go about it.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus