Coronavirus

whelk

But the language used, especially from anyone high-profile can these encourage idiots, we all know that.

Given that we all know where the virus started (we have had nothing but Wohan - virus - China - Death in the news for month now) calling it Chinese Virus seems unnecessary. Would you call it "Chinese Virus" in front of Chinese friends?

I haven't called it "Chinese virus" as I've already said repeatedly.

He finally name-checked a Southampton based company, that I mentioned in here about a month ago, in response to the increased testing.

What he failed to mention was that the company had its full test ready for use in February. Only taken until May for us to actually use it.

He's dun the test target he has. Hancock currently going through his Oscar acceptance speech about it.

And so he should, i'm sure it took a lot of effort to change the definition of 'testing', so that the Government could include incompleted tests in transit to the overall figures......

He's dun the test target he has. Hancock currently going through his Oscar acceptance speech about it.

Bit of creative accounting there.

Includes 37000 kits that have been mailed out but not yet used.

Was obvious they were always going to “meet” the target, by any means necessary - it would have been another slogan on a bus moment otherwise.

I think they would have used the 'stretching target' line, that they needed an ambitious target to successfully maximise the increase in delivery and I think that would have played out ok.

Allegations that our wonderful partners in The EU delayed & then changed their report into the virus after pressure from the Chinese .

Obviously, not true. It’s all “confusion”. The European Union’s foreign policy chief said there was some confusion as there was a confidential one intended for diplomats, and a second for the public that was released on Friday. “There are two different publications. Don’t make the mistake that the second one is the first one with a little bit of change” He said.

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. It wasn’t changed, they just wanted to keep the critical one secret.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what was your point ? Politicians and Civil Service Mandarins are devious lying barstewards.
We can only conclude that Duckie believes this is the very first time in human history that any public body has ever covered anything up.

We can only conclude that Duckie believes this is the very first time in human history that any public body has ever covered anything up.

Not at all. But I do believe bowing to political pressure from the Chinese over this issue is pretty low. We need total transparency at this particular time. Luckily, a lot of MEP’s agree, no surprise Little Europeans defend it.

Allegations that our wonderful partners in The EU delayed & then changed their report into the virus after pressure from the Chinese .

Obviously, not true. It’s all “confusion”. The European Union’s foreign policy chief said there was some confusion as there was a confidential one intended for diplomats, and a second for the public that was released on Friday. “There are two different publications. Don’t make the mistake that the second one is the first one with a little bit of change” He said.

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. It wasn’t changed, they just wanted to keep the critical one secret.

Standard stuff. The Chinese will always try to manage these things and this is the landscape an organisation like the EU has to operate in. https://euobserver.com/foreign/148236

Where is the Tory report telling us "the truth"?

I see Piers Morgan has managed to get a test after showing mild symptoms. I thought he's been telling us for months its a DISGRACE people are getting tested when front line workers cant get them?

So what happens when we discover that the virus was around late last year - around end of November / beginning of December? Who gets the blame then?

And all the people dying were never reported?

I see Piers Morgan has managed to get a test after showing mild symptoms. I thought he's been telling us for months its a DISGRACE people are getting tested when front line workers cant get them?

Surely as national treasure he qualifies for a test. Not met anyone who has a bad word to say against him.

And all the people dying were never reported?

Deaths in Dec 2018 = 41,430

Deaths in Dec 2019 = 47,384

Increase of 5,954 or 14.38%

They were reported here : https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/monthlyfiguresondeathsregisteredbyareaofusualresidence

I assume the word 'covid' wasn't used in reporting the deaths as that didn't become a 'thing' until Jan 2020.....

So what happens when we discover that the virus was around late last year - around end of November / beginning of December? Who gets the blame then?

I had something in January, a very persistent cough for about 3 weeks and have spoken to many others with similar symptoms around the same time.

A woman I was chatting to is convinced she got it in December. She rents rooms out on airbnb, had a couple of Chinese students stay for a few days. They went home and she had the most horrendous fever and was bed bound for over a week.

All anecdotal of course, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Deaths in Dec 2018 = 41,430

Deaths in Dec 2019 = 47,384

Increase of 5,954 or 14.38%

They were reported here : https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/monthlyfiguresondeathsregisteredbyareaofusualresidence

I assume the word 'covid' wasn't used in reporting the deaths as that didn't become a 'thing' until Jan 2020.....

And I assume you don't use data in your day job pal. No credible analysis would make inferences on the basis of one year's data as opposed to a long-run average and then fail to examine statistically whether the departure from that average fell within the normal range (defined by EuroMomo as +- 2 z-score). If you had bothered to do so (or more pertinently were capable of doing so), you would have discovered that deaths in Dec 2019 were well within the long-run normal range.

Edited by shurlock

I had something in January, a very persistent cough for about 3 weeks and have spoken to many others with similar symptoms around the same time.

I had the weirdest cough I’ve ever had in the middle of Feb. Had a horrible persistent dry cough that I just couldn’t shake off. I even missed the Burnley game, not because I felt rough but because I didn’t think it right to be constantly coughing on the train. I also missed my mates 50th for the same reason. It was horrendous,even hurt my back coughing so much, but had no other symptoms of anything. Didn’t even cough up any shiete either, totally dry cough for about 3 weeks, then it went away.

My snap dragon is convinced I had it, I’m not. Mainly because nobody I drank with, live with, or work with, got the same.

I had the weirdest cough I’ve ever had in the middle of Feb. Had a horrible persistent dry cough that I just couldn’t shake off.......Didn’t even cough up any shiete either, totally dry cough for about 3 weeks, then it went away.

I had the exact same thing in January except mine lasted five or six weeks. The doctor reckoned it was pertussis (whooping cough). Apparently a cut down milder version of it is fairly common in older people who were immunised as babies but have never had a booster.

Maybe it escaped from a lab in Southampton :D

https://www.uhs.nhs.uk/AboutTheTrust/Newsandpublications/Latestnews/2020/January/Press-release-Doctors-to-see-if-whooping-cough-bacteria-can-pass-silently-between-close-contacts.aspx

Edited by buctootim

I had the exact same thing in January except mine lasted five or six weeks. The doctor reckoned it was pertussis (whooping cough). Apparently a cut down milder version of it is fairly common in older people who were immunised as babies but have never had a booster.

Maybe it escaped from a lab in Southampton :D

https://www.uhs.nhs.uk/AboutTheTrust/Newsandpublications/Latestnews/2020/January/Press-release-Doctors-to-see-if-whooping-cough-bacteria-can-pass-silently-between-close-contacts.aspx

Interesting, that makes more sense.

And I assume you don't use data in your day job pal. No credible analysis would make inferences on the basis of one year's data as opposed to a long-run average and then fail to examine statistically whether the departure from that average fell within the normal range (defined by EuroMomo as +- 2 z-score). If you had bothered to do so (or more pertinently were capable of doing so), you would have discovered that deaths in Dec 2019 were well within the long-run normal range.

He asked where the deaths were reported. I've provided not only a link to where they were reported but have also copied the information directly for those who can't be bothered to click the link.

I haven't made any analysis, credible or otherwise in my post, nor have I made any inferences based on the data. But feel free to keep throwing your petty insults if it makes you feel all big and clever, pal.

All anecdotal of course, but I wouldn't be surprised.

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence around. My Dad, mother in law and three work colleagues were all ill with very similar symptoms at the end of Nov, beginning of Dec. One colleague visited Poland over Xmas and having been prescribed three different antibiotics in the UK, was diagnosed with pneumonia by a Polish doc.

All anecdotal and far be it for me to offer any opinion as doubtless I'll be labelled a mental conspiracy theorist by our resident narcissist. Still, time will tell ;)

He asked where the deaths were reported. I've provided not only a link to where they were reported but have also copied the information directly for those who can't be bothered to click the link.

I haven't made any analysis, credible or otherwise in my post, nor have I made any inferences based on the data. But feel free to keep throwing your petty insults if it makes you feel all big and clever, pal.

Good. So you posted some meaningless numbers for the hell of it.

How's Taiwan doing :lol:

#classicwestie

Edited by shurlock

Deaths in March :

2018 = 51,131

2019 = 43,815

2020 = 49,641

Draw your own inferences from the data - same source as posted previously.

Will be more interesting to see April's figures.

Good. So you posted some meaningless numbers for the hell of it.

How's Taiwan doing :lol:

#classicwestie

Most people - presumably not you - are able to think things through for themselves. You should try it, it might be liberating. But then again, you might actually commit to an opinion, which you've never achieved on here before.

How's the 'diametrically opposite' deal coming along, care to furnish us with the details yet?

Deaths in March :

2018 = 51,131

2019 = 43,815

2020 = 49,641

Draw your own inferences from the data - same source as posted previously.

Will be more interesting to see April's figures.

Eh. We were talking about December a moment ago.

I'm not wading into a different debate with you -suffice to say I prefer to follow serious analysis i.e. the EuroMOMO and even recent work by the FT, not some innumerate and illiterate bumpkin.

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

https://www.ft.com/content/0ed8ea34-ebc5-4425-b86a-7a29447de57b

Enjoy the rest of your evening little westie.

Eh. We were talking about December a moment ago.

I'm not wading into a different debate with you -suffice to say I prefer to follow serious analysis i.e. the EuroMOMO and even recent work by the FT, not some innumerate and illiterate bumpkin.

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

https://www.ft.com/content/0ed8ea34-ebc5-4425-b86a-7a29447de57b

Enjoy the rest of your evening little westie.

Not sure how either of those make me an illeterate and innumerate bumpkin, given that they show some of April's figures.

Hmmm, I wonder what I meant when I stated "will be more interesting to see April's figures"?

Still no sign of the 'diametrically opposite deal' details then ;)

What, some people got cold or flu like symptoms at winter time?

Take the **** all you like, but there’s now proof a bloke in France had it in December. The positive sample was taken a week before China first reported the outbreak to the WHO.

Take the **** all you like, but there’s now proof a bloke in France had it in December. The positive sample was taken a week before China first reported the outbreak to the WHO.

Not really a surprise given what we know about how the Chinese government have acted. Anyway, even if the Chinese were totally transparent about the virus there would be a lag between when the virus started and when the first case went to hospital and it was identified.

Not really a surprise given what we know about how the Chinese government have acted. Anyway, even if the Chinese were totally transparent about the virus there would be a lag between when the virus started and when the first case went to hospital and it was identified.

And now some participants in the World Military Games at Wuhan in October are saying they had flu like symptoms when they returned home. Could have just had flu though, don't think they've been tested for anything else.

And yet we've been told in no uncertain terms that the virus originated from a wet market in China in January.

How is it possible that a bloke in France had it in December?

Ah that's as maybe, but the first actual cases were in mid-November 2019. Just wasn't identified as such at that time. They knew they had it going around though which is why some Chinese government outlets say an American military lady brought it to Wuhan at the World Military Games, fell off her bike and had hospital treatment.

Ah that's as maybe, but the first actual cases were in mid-November 2019. Just wasn't identified as such at that time. They knew they had it going around though which is why some Chinese government outlets say an American military lady brought it to Wuhan at the World Military Games, fell off her bike and had hospital treatment.

And yet, they didn't report it to the WHO until the end of December....

Does it not also stack up that the 'anecdotal' incidents of people having very similar symptoms in November / December could well have had the virus and not just a cold / flu like aintforever is suggesting?

What, some people got cold or flu like symptoms at winter time?

Yep, you're probably right. No idea why the WHO are giving this advice then...

The World Health Organization has warned that more early cases of coronavirus are likely to be uncovered in countries around the globe.

It comes after a French doctor said he had tested a sample from a patient diagnosed with pneumonia on 27 December last year, and found it was positive for coronavirus.

The development means Covid-19 may have arrived in Europe almost a month earlier than previously thought.

Speaking in Geneva, WHO spokesperson Christian Lindmeier said he was "not surprised" by the news.

He called on other countries to reassess their medical records from late 2019 to help to build a "newer and clearer picture" of the pandemic.

And yet, they didn't report it to the WHO until the end of December....

Does it not also stack up that the 'anecdotal' incidents of people having very similar symptoms in November / December could well have had the virus and not just a cold / flu like aintforever is suggesting?

Obviously if the first case was in November it is possible that it spread to Europe in November. Not sure what your point is, we all know China wouldn’t have told the WHO the moment the first person was infected.

Who can believe a single word uttered about the virus by the Chinese Communist Government? Of course they would love to shift the blame for infecting most of the rest of the World with their virus on the Americans.

Who can believe a single word uttered about the virus by the Chinese Communist Government? Of course they would love to shift the blame for infecting most of the rest of the World with their virus on the Americans.

Oh I don't think anyone believes them but the timing of what they have said in this case is what counts, the World Military Games were for two weeks from mid October onwards and some of their officials link the earliest cases to that event. So they knew they had a problem in and around Wuhan from about the second week of November.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus