Coronavirus

whelk

Hopefully you're right but they do say in the video that they will investigate every report of hate crime even if you don't believe its a crime. I'd rather they stopped all this nonsense talk and did what they should be doing and I'm sure most police officers are.

Quite often forces react to either Government direction or an HMIC report. So if a force is deemed to have a below average response to Domestic Abuse they will then ramp up training and victim support to get them to where they are expected to be. HMIC may then come back and inspect them again to make sure this has happened (it's basically like OFSTED for police)

Possibly this is what happened in the Met with Hate Crime although it has been a government priority over the past 18 months or so.

****ing jobsworths are in their element. There’s videos doing the rounds of a traffic warden ticketing an ambulance & a copper issuing a fine to a shop keeper for marking 2 meter lines in chalk outside her shop. I’ve just come from the local park where they’ve stationed a high viz bod, stopping people parking up, asking people what they’re doing & generally acting like a twt. This is the same park that did **** all when gypos turned up last summer & also started charging cars to park because they couldn’t afford for a bloke to unlock & lock the barrier each day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

****ing jobsworths are in their element. There’s videos doing the rounds of a traffic warden ticketing an ambulance & a copper issuing a fine to a shop keeper for marking 2 meter lines in chalk outside her shop. I’ve just come from the local park where they’ve stationed a high viz bod, stopping people parking up, asking people what they’re doing & generally acting like a twt. This is the same park that did **** all when gypos turned up last summer & also started charging cars to park because they couldn’t afford for a bloke to unlock & lock the barrier each day.

What you doing at the park? I wonder why they felt a need to send letters to everyone as thought everyone had got the message by now. Clearly not.

Quite often forces react to either Government direction or an HMIC report. So if a force is deemed to have a below average response to Domestic Abuse they will then ramp up training and victim support to get them to where they are expected to be. HMIC may then come back and inspect them again to make sure this has happened (it's basically like OFSTED for police)

Possibly this is what happened in the Met with Hate Crime although it has been a government priority over the past 18 months or so.

That may very well be true. Its still a total waste of time wherever it comes from and whoever is telling them to do it.

What you doing at the park? I wonder why they felt a need to send letters to everyone as thought everyone had got the message by now. Clearly not.

I live by the park, and was walking my dog. Perhaps you should read the Government advice yourself before you start preaching to others.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Is £45 good for that amount of meat (looking at That muscle food place)?

When I used it before I worked out that on a price for price comparison the amount of food you got for your money was similar between supermarkets and muscle food, where the difference lies however was the quality was far superior from musclefood and the meat was lean and not pumped full of water.

I live by the park, and was walking my dog. Perhaps you should read the Government advice yourself before you start preaching to others.

Go to the park. Protect the NHS. Save Lives

What's suddenly wrong with telling other people what to do?

Amazing how technology can solve problems and we're lucky to have some of the best minds in the world on our doorstep.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52087002

A cpap machine is very simple - basically just an airtight mask with a pump. Useful for mild cases of breathing difficulty like sleep apnea but nothing like a venitlator far less ECMO. The problem with severe COVID patients is not that their airways have collapsed but that they are inflamed and flooded.

Edited by buctootim

A cpap machine is very simple - basically just an airtight mask with a pump. Useful for mild cases of breathing difficulty like sleep apnea but nothing like a venitlator far less ECMO. The problem with severe COVID patients is not that their airways have collapsed but that they are inflamed and flooded.

Can we not just take a little bit of good news or does everything has to be a battle?

From the same article :

Early reports from Lombardy in Italy suggest about 50% of patients given CPAP have avoided the need for invasive mechanical ventilation.

That's got to be a good thing, right?

Can we not just take a little bit of good news or does everything has to be a battle?

From the same article :

That's got to be a good thing, right?

Yes its a good thing. It will help people less severely affected to breathe easier. But afaik there was never particular shortage of cpaps - they are widely available for domestic use, so I'm not sure how much this is really going to help.

https://www.1800cpap.com/

Yes its a good thing. It will help people less severely affected to breathe easier. But afaik there was never particular shortage of cpaps - they are widely available for domestic use, so I'm not sure how much this is really going to help.

https://www.1800cpap.com/

They are looking at ordering 10,000 of them so someone, somewhere clearly thinks we don't have enough.

Meanwhile, other technology companies are looking at fast tracking their inventions for ventilators to solve that shortage problem - although it is unlikely that the number of beds and trained personnel to manage those beds will be able to keep up once the production of ventilators gets under way but that's another battle....

Yeah lets get the coppers on the wards.
I'd rather all of them were out keeping order, preventing burglaries (like the two that targeted empty childcare settings in Southampton last week for example.) etc. We don't need tweets policed at the moment or ever really. Edited by hypochondriac

The plod are very busy at the moment. A friend of mine is doing 60 hour weeks, mainly dealing with arseholes not complying with the lockdown.
Like I said, good to hear the vast majority of police are doing what is needed at the moment. The whole policing of language stuff probably comes from superiors anyway rather than the average policeman.

The plod are very busy at the moment. A friend of mine is doing 60 hour weeks, mainly dealing with arseholes not complying with the lockdown.

But it is a lot quieter. They are not having to do 60 hours a week because so many people are flaunting the rules. Some chief constables like to make names for themselves at times like this.

Amazing how technology can solve problems and we're lucky to have some of the best minds in the world on our doorstep.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52087002

It's old technology. In my first proper job after university in the early 90's, I worked for a medical devices manufacturers and they were making and selling CPAP machines back then

1 silver lining to all of this is that at least we shouldn’t have to put up with wimboldon this year!

I am already benefitting from at least 1 silver lining already this year - Riverdance at the Mayflower next month postponed, really hoping Celine Dion gets cancelled later in the year as well, but if this gets cancelled then so will Royal Ascot that we have tickets for as well.

Out of interest, have regular cyclists reduced their mileage during the 'lockdown' ? Michael Gove said that people, in taking their 'one form of exercise' per day, should do no more than their usual duration, but I think that carrying on with rides of 40 to 50 miles might be seen as excessive.

Edited by badgerx16

I’ve never seen so many about, begs the question WTF were they doing pre lockdown. It’s a ****ing jobsworths & busybodies wet dream. When this is all over I hope some politicians & pressure groups step up the plate, because Governments become addicted to telling us what to do. Once authority get given extra powers on a temporary basis, it’s extremely difficult to get them back.

Out of interest, have regular cyclists reduced their mileage during the 'lockdown' ? Michael Gove said that people, in taking their 'one form of exercise' per day, should do no more than their usual duration, but I think that carrying on with rides of 40 to 50 miles might be seen as excessive.

My weekend rides I’ve reduced down to a couple of hours although fitness level may drop, trying to spread exercise throughout the week - little and often between work. Besides it’s not the same when in a group. As I live in the countryside I don’t get to see many folks anyway.

As an addition to the comments about police, as well as the typical, silly kneejerk stuff, I have a friend who works for the police over here. Apparently they have been busier than ever, mainly with home call-outs. Domestic violence has been the main reason, often as a result of changed drinking or drug habits by the aggressor. Lots of unhappy families/troubled people cooped up together and getting frustrated.

We don't have the guideline here about once a day exercise, but as a runner, I try to go out early morning or late evening and run away from areas where people would be. My apartment overlooks a park and, although the families who have to walk four abreast including prams are a pain, I don't understand why so many runners HAVE to run in the park and why they have to go at the times when there are clearly going to be families taking a walk. You can run pretty much anywhere, anytime.

I think the government, after a shaky start, have handled it well so far. Important that continues.

Yes, I agree. Although we all need to be patient on the data; if it stabilises after a week or more, we will know the social distancing measures are having an affect. The measures will she in place for a long time yet though. The more time we can buy, the better the health service can manage. In the summer, although we know the virus isn’t killed by heat, only cleaning, the fatality rates might fall proportionally due to reduced risk from additional complications. The alternative breathing technology developed by one of the big London universities and F1 could help fill the ventilator gap too.

So some signs of optimism but some very dark days to come too. The news about the 13 year old is awful.

Nope. If anything, my weekly mileage has increased but that is because the gym is closed so using the cycling as a substitute.

But, I only ever ride solo anyway and apart from the odd wave at other cyclists (and swearing at motorists), I don't have any interaction with another human being which I'm very happy with!

There was a big issue last week with an ironman competitor who completed a 200 mile training ride. Not sure what all the fuss was about to be fair, people were complaining that he risked having an accident and thus 'tying up vital NHS resources'. The reality is, you can ride 200 yards from your house and still have exactly the same risks of having an accident. Besides, someone who can ride 200 miles in one go probably has a reasonable set of lungs on them so is unlikely to take up a valuable ICU bed if they did catch the virus....

When this is all over I hope some politicians & pressure groups step up the plate, because Governments become addicted to telling us what to do. Once authority get given extra powers on a temporary basis, it’s extremely difficult to get them back.

Hungary has just given the government the ability to rule by decree, exactly what the authoritarian Orben has wanted for years, long before corona. Its a slippery slope.

:lol:

I am not sure what your point is.

Petty political point scoring in the manner of the usual PMQs is not required at the moment but the news today that only 2,000 frontline staff out of a 500,000 workforce have been tested for Coronavirus is shocking. Are Governments no longer accountable to anyone?

Do we now need a WW2 style government of national unity - preferably once Labour have elected a replacement for Corbyn?

Petty political point scoring in the manner of the usual PMQs is not required at the moment but the news today that only 2,000 frontline staff out of a 500,000 workforce have been tested for Coronavirus is shocking. Are Governments no longer accountable to anyone?

Do we now need a WW2 style government of national unity - preferably once Labour have elected a replacement for Corbyn?

As long as they talk about doing your bit to protect the NHS and say ‘save lives’ 15 times a briefing a number of mugs will swallow it. We do need to not start bickering but the testing and lack of is scandalous. Losing confidence.

Exactly what is testing going to achieve if a person has no symptoms? Will it merely confirm that they don't have the virus? What is to stop them from opening a door two minutes after they have been tested and picking the virus up? Testing people who have no symptoms would appear to be a bit of a waste of time, resources and money.

Shouldn't the testing be focussed on antibodies - i.e. determining who has already had the virus and thus developed an immunity(?) to it and will therefore be 'safe' to continue their work? Although I'm not sure an antibody test has been developed yet?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus