Coronavirus

whelk

What about alcohol and lifestyle? Is it really 'essential' and the country can't live without it for a few weeks or is it a question of tax income?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52033260

Probably tax income, but they know that English people will go mad for it, especially as a lot of people will be bored so crack open a beer or bottle of wine early in the day. Although the other view is that people will want some pleasure whilst stuck in their houses and a lot get that from having a drink.

You watch, "THEY SHOULD BE FREE ON THE NHS, I THINK IT'S A DISGRACE, ANOTHER WAY TO MAKE MONEY" said Tracey, 36 from Shirley.

You know its coming, you know Beth Rigby will hound the PM saying that such and such from Hackney, can't afford it.

Given the staggering amount of money given to the vast majority of the population, a few quid for your own health should be the least you can muster (in the vast majority of cases)

Edited by Batman

you watch, the masses will kick off that it will cost a few quid....worth every penny IMO

I actually think I have it - quite mild. Family not so sure but will be good to have something empirical.

I think I would pay whatever the price TBH

I actually think I have it - quite mild. Family not so sure but will be good to have something empirical.

I think I would pay whatever the price TBH

Wasn’t there something in the media this week that 50% of people in the UK have already contracted it but either didn’t know or fought off the very mild symptoms they had

Fingers crossed the government have got a contract in place for the antibody tests that means we will definitely get as many as need. Before Trump comes along and buys them all up and pays for them to be the only country to get them.

Fingers crossed the government have got a contract in place for the antibody tests that means we will definitely get as many as need. Before Trump comes along and buys them all up and pays for them to be the only country to get them.

Saying they will not be available for general public - will be for key workers

The study has been misrepresented by the media -and the Oxford academics have dubiously done little to correct matters. Guess they’re happy with the publicity.

The study is a sensitivity analysis, exploring what would happen under different assumptions about the % of the public that is at risk of hospitalisation. Basically if you assume that the virus is pretty mild (that 1/1000 people are at a risk of hospitalisation from it), then is likely that a larger number of people will have been infected given the observed number of deaths in the UK.

Of course, as a hypothetical ‘what if’ exercise, it makes no claims about the actual severity of the virus and by extension the % of the public that has been infected. Alas that’s not the impression the press has given.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/coronavirus-infections-oxford-study-immunity

Edited by shurlock

The study has been misrepresented by the media -and the Oxford academics have dubiously done little to correct matters. Guess they’re happy with the publicity.

The study is a sensitivity analysis, exploring what would happen under different assumptions about the % of the public that is at risk of hospitalisation. As a ‘what if’ exercise, it makes no claims about that % and by extension the % of the public that has been infected. Of course, that’s not the impression that the press has given.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/coronavirus-infections-oxford-study-immunity

Okay cheers, thought it sounded a bit far fetched.

Does soggy have the virus? No word from him in over a week.

I think it was good for him to take a break. He was posting way too much and you and a couple of others were obsessing over his every word way out of proportion. You were like a dog with a bone about comments that you would have just brushed off from other posters. It gets a bit tiresome from both sides to be honest. It's been nice that things have moved on.

I think it was good for him to take a break. He was posting way too much and you and a couple of others were obsessing over his every word way out of proportion. You were like a dog with a bone about comments that you would have just brushed off from other posters. It gets a bit tiresome from both sides to be honest. It's been nice that things have moved on.
Probably for the best that he's taking a break.

If some of the self employed are moaning about income, perhaps the should only pay them 80% of what they declared last year to the tax office (up to the £2500 / month limit). Might make a few a bit worried and help genuine ones,

But this is just my thoughts only.

If some of the self employed are moaning about income, perhaps the should only pay them 80% of what they declared last year to the tax office (up to the £2500 / month limit). Might make a few a bit worried and help genuine ones,

This is one of many issues with the self employed. I was listening to Mike Graham’s show this morning and they had some bird going through it, it is incredibly complicated. She described it as whack a mole. When the Government box away one issue, another one pops up.

Someone earning 4K a year cutting people’s hair thought she didn’t have to declare it. Wrong, she did. In the Government’s eyes she earns £0.

My brother in law is minted, but through various accounting methods and cash in hand, only takes 20k a year in “wages”. To most reasonable people he should receive 80% of that, however that’ll be a massive drop in his income. To be fair, he won’t be moaning, but they’ll be plenty that will be, especially blokes earning 30k and declaring 20k. Unlike my brother in law they’re not rich and they’re living month to month. It’s unbelievably hard for the Government to address these people. What can they do, take people’s word for it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I've just been through hell and I don't think it's a coicidence.

Prior to any of the serious sh1t going down, I was a bit iffy for about 3-4 days. Nothing to stop you from working; sore throat, a very mild headache and a runny nose. I was getting a bit of nausea in the mornings, but thought nothing of it. With all the hysteria around and knowing my family could worry, I'd text them that week and told them I would do their shopping for them. I would run the errands. I'm a fairly fit, capable young man and I don't want them exposed to whatever this virus was or is. That was my primary concern... it haunted my thoughts.

A mild cold. Sniffles. A strange headache. I can go on, I'm only about 75% but I can function, I thought.

That was until around 2pm last Wednesday, when all of a sudden all the energy just drained out of me. The most notable feeling I had was if I had a sack of rocks on my back that I was carrying around. I was developing a fever and by the time I got home from work, my entire body felt as if it was on fire. Every muscle, every joint hurt. Within 3 hours, I was completely wiped out.

Rationally, in my mind, I knew something was sinister, something was wrong but I tried to tell myself it wasn't and that I could sleep it off.

Well, sleeping it off didn't work. I awoke, shaking, shivering but unable to move because of the pain and fatigue. Every sinew was aching, every muscle felt as if it was on fire - yet my entire body was shaking, uncontrollably, with extreme cold.

I stayed up the remainder of the night torturing myself over Google with 'Coronavirus vs Flu vs Cold' symptoms spreadsheets, none of which shed any light as to what I was suffering with. I prayed for flu, obviously.

Eventually, as I lurched into day 2 I fell into a fitful sleep. And that's where I remained all day, sipping water, shivering, trembling and sporadically responding to my work colleagues. The exhaustion was unreal. I managed to make myself some soup and toast in the evening, then straight back to bed.

Day 3, I felt ever so slightly better. I had a shower, pottered around and despite the aches, pains and general fatigue, I could get about. I turned off all news notifications on mobile so I wouldn't hear anything about the Coronavirus. I muted most of my Whatsapp conversations. I felt better, but I didn't want to read about covid-19 or talk to anyone. Messages were mounting up and as I went to bed, a new symptom had appeared; nasal congestion...

2am, Day 4. I'd not slept long before I was up with the worst chills and burning up I'd ever experienced. Then, a rush to the toilet.... great, the sh1ts as well now. After peeling myself from the toilet, I went to the lounge. I writhed on the sofa, my finger hovering over dialling 111. "Nah" I thought "I don't want to overburden them and I haven't coughed of felt a shortness of breath yet". The rest of the day was another write-off though. Napping, water, minimal food. Friends and family dropped rounds supplies. One of my friends commented on how white I looked, which was alarming. I continued to put a brave face and tell them 'Ah, it's probably just the flu". They were unconvinced, as was I.

Day 5. This is when I first noticed the intermittent gasps for air. Not frequent or uncomfortable enough to worry about - they were just there. In my mind though, I started to panic. My sore throat had returned. Nausea was prevelant. The fatigue was still all-encompassing and now I would try and grab air through my mouth. I reasoned with myself that it was probably just anxiety and I tried some breathing exercises; it appered to work for a bit and then it was either getting worse, or I was forgetting to breathe properly. I spent the entire evening and early morning trying breathing exercises, opening the window to gasp some air and walking around to stave off the dizziness and fear. Brain fog. Urrrrghhhhhh.

Day 6. Exhausted after the 'anxiety' attack, I napped and tried to watch tv. Diarrohrea had returned. I couldn't lie down properly without gulping and gasping for air and by now, my laboured breathing was starting to affect my muscles around the top half of my body. They were aching and made breathing painful. I held off on 111, I'll be ok. I'm eating a bit better, but I reckon I've been doing at least 5l of water day. Whenever I feel the fever kicking in again, I'd pop another paracetomol which seemed to stave it off. Trying to sleep now was a complete chore; I'd literally have to wait around reading news articles on my phone until I fell asleep exhausted as breathing felt so difficult. I woke up through the night consistently, often trying to suck some air in. I got up, I walked around, literally stumbling and bouncing off walls until I the dizziness went away. Then back to bed. Then up again. This was awful. I'm wondering how my parents would cope with this again, especially as they are in the vulnerable category.

Day 7, yesterday. Finally, with my breathing worse than it ever was and barely able to choke a few words out, I called 111. The kind voiced chap on the other hand listened to my story through my pauses for air. My voice was trembling and I was asking him what I should do next. "Well, you haven't had a cough" he reasoned. Not very comforted, I pressed on "Yes, but I can't breathe, I've tried breathing exercises, I tried to tell myself it was anxiety but I don't think it is..."

"Ride it out, take some paracetomol and see how you are in 48 hours" was the response. All hope died then, but thankfully, I didn't. I got off the phone and paced about. I opened all the windows. I laid down and tried breathing exercises. I hunched over, I leaned on my side, I put my arms in the air... I tried everything until finally, I collapsed onto the bed and just gave up. I fell asleep, once again, through exhaustion. My whole chest and midriff hurt. If I die, I die...

Day 8. Gaaaaaasp as I woke up .. but I feel ok. I'm tired, but I feel ok. Gasp. OK, that's still there but I'm feeling a bit better. I get up, shower. Tidy up the enitrety of the house. I still stop and grab a half gallon of air every now and then, but I feel.... 70% normal.

I turn on the computer which was on standby. The previous evening, I'd made a list of things I needed to remember and few things to look forward to, kinda like a gratitude list I suppose. It's stupid - but it I'll post what I wrote down anyway;

REMEMBER!

you cant not breathe - brain stem

this will pass - and soon

WHAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO:

a clear head

fresh air walk

seeing friends and family

being able to help others

ozark fri 27

stid wed 1

So silly it would seem. However, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the past few days have been nothing but exhausting, terrifying and most of all, priority re-aligning.

I'm on day 8 and I'm struggling to breathe a bit but it is abating. The thing is, I don't know if I've got it but apart from the cough (which started about day 5, but was not hacking or continuous or pronounced- just a slight tickle in the morning once or twice), this has been f()cking hell to live through.

Not just has it been physically torturing but mentally as well. You have to do it on your own. My friends and family have been fantastic but for over a week, this has been something I wouldn't wish upon a mortal enemy.

I'm staying in for another few days just to be sure. The thing is with this is that it seems to get better before it gets worse again. I seemed to have 1-2 false dawns where I'd perk up, only for my hlealth to completely nosedive off a cliff again.

It's hard to emphasise how much I appreciate just the simple things like being able to breathe in fresh air or simply do household chores. When I've considered myself 'tired' before I've never truly been that tired compared to this. I will get a test once they are available but whatever I've just had, it has made living or simply existing a f()cking chore.

I'm feeling alot better than I was but I'm keeping my guard up as this virus, if that's what it is, does like to spring surpises.

I hope you all stay safe and healthy. I'm not one for hashtags but #F()CKCOVID19

That is the only way that it can or should be done.

This is one of many issues with the self employed. I was listening to Mike Graham’s show this morning and they had some bird going through it, it is incredibly complicated. She described it as whack a mole. When the Government box away one issue, another one pops up.

Someone earning 4K a year cutting people’s hair thought she didn’t have to declare it. Wrong, she did. In the Government’s eyes she earns £0.

My brother in law is minted, but through various accounting methods and cash in hand, only takes 20k a year in “wages”. To most reasonable people he should receive 80% of that, however that’ll be a massive drop in his income. To be fair, he won’t be moaning, but they’ll be plenty that will be, especially blokes earning 30k and declaring 20k. Unlike my brother in law they’re not rich and they’re living month to month. It’s unbelievably hard for the Government to address these people. What can they do, take people’s word for it?

If he is getting remuneration in some other form then tax will be paid on it. Unless he is geting paid in cash and not declaring it. Getting paid a wage and then something extra on dividends does not avoid the tax. That is paid before the dividends are issued.

Plenty of gaps in the scheme.

June-Too long, but I guess there maybe some sort of business loan short term.

New business- People who’ve set up past 12 months but haven’t filed tax return. Having been made redundant last March, had I invested my pay off into setting up a business, I’d be ****ed. Hopefully they’ll do something for these guys.

Clearly the people not paying the correct amount of tax will suffer a hit, but what more could they do.

Clearly there will be loads of moaning and complaints, but it’s incredibly complicated. Self employed people are a massive part of a successful capitalist system.

My gut feeling from a quick view is a Tory Government should be doing more.

Prior to any of the serious sh1t going down, I was a bit iffy for about 3-4 days. Nothing to stop you from working; sore throat, a very mild headache and a runny nose. I was getting a bit of nausea in the mornings, but thought nothing of it. With all the hysteria around and knowing my family could worry, I'd text them that week and told them I would do their shopping for them. I would run the errands. I'm a fairly fit, capable young man and I don't want them exposed to whatever this virus was or is. That was my primary concern... it haunted my thoughts.

A mild cold. Sniffles. A strange headache. I can go on, I'm only about 75% but I can function, I thought.

That was until around 2pm last Wednesday, when all of a sudden all the energy just drained out of me. The most notable feeling I had was if I had a sack of rocks on my back that I was carrying around. I was developing a fever and by the time I got home from work, my entire body felt as if it was on fire. Every muscle, every joint hurt. Within 3 hours, I was completely wiped out.

Rationally, in my mind, I knew something was sinister, something was wrong but I tried to tell myself it wasn't and that I could sleep it off.

Well, sleeping it off didn't work. I awoke, shaking, shivering but unable to move because of the pain and fatigue. Every sinew was aching, every muscle felt as if it was on fire - yet my entire body was shaking, uncontrollably, with extreme cold.

I stayed up the remainder of the night torturing myself over Google with 'Coronavirus vs Flu vs Cold' symptoms spreadsheets, none of which shed any light as to what I was suffering with. I prayed for flu, obviously.

Eventually, as I lurched into day 2 I fell into a fitful sleep. And that's where I remained all day, sipping water, shivering, trembling and sporadically responding to my work colleagues. The exhaustion was unreal. I managed to make myself some soup and toast in the evening, then straight back to bed.

Day 3, I felt ever so slightly better. I had a shower, pottered around and despite the aches, pains and general fatigue, I could get about. I turned off all news notifications on mobile so I wouldn't hear anything about the Coronavirus. I muted most of my Whatsapp conversations. I felt better, but I didn't want to read about covid-19 or talk to anyone. Messages were mounting up and as I went to bed, a new symptom had appeared; nasal congestion...

2am, Day 4. I'd not slept long before I was up with the worst chills and burning up I'd ever experienced. Then, a rush to the toilet.... great, the sh1ts as well now. After peeling myself from the toilet, I went to the lounge. I writhed on the sofa, my finger hovering over dialling 111. "Nah" I thought "I don't want to overburden them and I haven't coughed of felt a shortness of breath yet". The rest of the day was another write-off though. Napping, water, minimal food. Friends and family dropped rounds supplies. One of my friends commented on how white I looked, which was alarming. I continued to put a brave face and tell them 'Ah, it's probably just the flu". They were unconvinced, as was I.

Day 5. This is when I first noticed the intermittent gasps for air. Not frequent or uncomfortable enough to worry about - they were just there. In my mind though, I started to panic. My sore throat had returned. Nausea was prevelant. The fatigue was still all-encompassing and now I would try and grab air through my mouth. I reasoned with myself that it was probably just anxiety and I tried some breathing exercises; it appered to work for a bit and then it was either getting worse, or I was forgetting to breathe properly. I spent the entire evening and early morning trying breathing exercises, opening the window to gasp some air and walking around to stave off the dizziness and fear. Brain fog. Urrrrghhhhhh.

Day 6. Exhausted after the 'anxiety' attack, I napped and tried to watch tv. Diarrohrea had returned. I couldn't lie down properly without gulping and gasping for air and by now, my laboured breathing was starting to affect my muscles around the top half of my body. They were aching and made breathing painful. I held off on 111, I'll be ok. I'm eating a bit better, but I reckon I've been doing at least 5l of water day. Whenever I feel the fever kicking in again, I'd pop another paracetomol which seemed to stave it off. Trying to sleep now was a complete chore; I'd literally have to wait around reading news articles on my phone until I fell asleep exhausted as breathing felt so difficult. I woke up through the night consistently, often trying to suck some air in. I got up, I walked around, literally stumbling and bouncing off walls until I the dizziness went away. Then back to bed. Then up again. This was awful. I'm wondering how my parents would cope with this again, especially as they are in the vulnerable category.

Day 7, yesterday. Finally, with my breathing worse than it ever was and barely able to choke a few words out, I called 111. The kind voiced chap on the other hand listened to my story through my pauses for air. My voice was trembling and I was asking him what I should do next. "Well, you haven't had a cough" he reasoned. Not very comforted, I pressed on "Yes, but I can't breathe, I've tried breathing exercises, I tried to tell myself it was anxiety but I don't think it is..."

"Ride it out, take some paracetomol and see how you are in 48 hours" was the response. All hope died then, but thankfully, I didn't. I got off the phone and paced about. I opened all the windows. I laid down and tried breathing exercises. I hunched over, I leaned on my side, I put my arms in the air... I tried everything until finally, I collapsed onto the bed and just gave up. I fell asleep, once again, through exhaustion. My whole chest and midriff hurt. If I die, I die...

Day 8. Gaaaaaasp as I woke up .. but I feel ok. I'm tired, but I feel ok. Gasp. OK, that's still there but I'm feeling a bit better. I get up, shower. Tidy up the enitrety of the house. I still stop and grab a half gallon of air every now and then, but I feel.... 70% normal.

I turn on the computer which was on standby. The previous evening, I'd made a list of things I needed to remember and few things to look forward to, kinda like a gratitude list I suppose. It's stupid - but it I'll post what I wrote down anyway;

REMEMBER!

WHAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO:

a clear head

fresh air walk

ozark fri 27

stid wed 1

So silly it would seem. However, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the past few days have been nothing but exhausting, terrifying and most of all, priority re-aligning.

I'm on day 8 and I'm struggling to breathe a bit but it is abating. The thing is, I don't know if I've got it but apart from the cough (which started about day 5, but was not hacking or continuous or pronounced- just a slight tickle in the morning once or twice), this has been f()cking hell to live through.

Not just has it been physically torturing but mentally as well. You have to do it on your own. My friends and family have been fantastic but for over a week, this has been something I wouldn't wish upon a mortal enemy.

I'm staying in for another few days just to be sure. The thing is with this is that it seems to get better before it gets worse again. I seemed to have 1-2 false dawns where I'd perk up, only for my hlealth to completely nosedive off a cliff again.

It's hard to emphasise how much I appreciate just the simple things like being able to breathe in fresh air or simply do household chores. When I've considered myself 'tired' before I've never truly been that tired compared to this. I will get a test once they are available but whatever I've just had, it has made living or simply existing a f()cking chore.

I'm feeling alot better than I was but I'm keeping my guard up as this virus, if that's what it is, does like to spring surpises.

I hope you all stay safe and healthy. I'm not one for hashtags but #F()CKCOVID19

A sobering story

I am pleased that you are now feeling better. Look after yourself buddy.

REMEMBER!

WHAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO:

a clear head

fresh air walk

ozark fri 27

stid wed 1

Glad you are on the mend sir, good to hear. Stay safe.

REMEMBER!

WHAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO:

a clear head

fresh air walk

ozark fri 27

stid wed 1

Sounds horrendous mate.

Can’t believe that on list of things to look forward to you didn’t include: returning to Saintsweb to slag off Saints goalkeepers?[emoji1]

REMEMBER!

WHAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO:

a clear head

fresh air walk

ozark fri 27

stid wed 1

Glad you’re still with us Crabby and thanks for your extensive report.

What did you expect with a username like yours? ;)

****ing hell.

3.28 million Americans lost their job last week.

47ac935de7766ef50a9009625bfd4dcc.jpg

Doesn’t include self employed.

BBC have just said that’s more jobs than were lost in the 2 years following the recent crash, and nearly a quarter of the total jobs lost during the whole of the Great Depression. In one ****ing week!!!!

Economic meltdown aside, the most worrying thing I've heard during this whole thing (which seems like an eternity already but only really got serious 2 weeks ago) was speaking to a work contact today who I haven't spoken to for ages. It was obvious he was in bits from the moment he spoke and he went on to describe how his son in law "a fit 30 year old boxer with a six pack" is gravely ill with it. Makes you wonder if they are holding the full truth back (for well intended reasons).

Jesus, stay safe everyone.

Plenty of gaps in the scheme.

June-Too long, but I guess there maybe some sort of business loan short term.

New business- People who’ve set up past 12 months but haven’t filed tax return. Having been made redundant last March, had I invested my pay off into setting up a business, I’d be ****ed. Hopefully they’ll do something for these guys.

Clearly the people not paying the correct amount of tax will suffer a hit, but what more could they do.

Clearly there will be loads of moaning and complaints, but it’s incredibly complicated. Self employed people are a massive part of a successful capitalist system.

My gut feeling from a quick view is a Tory Government should be doing more.

A Tory government should be doing less. Survival of the fittest.

Firstly, I want to say thank you to all your for your best wishes. I was definitely one of those people who viewed things like this as something that would happen elsewhere, to someone else - never did I think that I could be impacted by this.

Not out of the woods yet as only on Day 9... still a bit gaspy (which is a horrible, horrible feeling) and fatigued but generally so much better. There is an option for me to order a test on Monday to the tune of £120, which I'll probably do. I'll report back to let you know if I've joined the herd.

Sounds horrendous mate.

Can’t believe that on list of things to look forward to you didn’t include: returning to Saintsweb to slag off Saints goalkeepers?[emoji1]

Hahaha... well, after this 'experience', it kind of puts my petty feuds on here about certain players into perspective. I'm definitely going to try and be a bit more measured from hereon.

Glad you’re still with us Crabby and thanks for your extensive report.

What did you expect with a username like yours? ;)

Literally the best thing about this virus (if it is that, as it has not been confirmed) is that I've gone completely cold turkey on cigarettes for a solid week now. I used to love a chuff. To say I've had very Crabby lungs would be an understatement...

Once again, thank you all for your kind words. Please, please stay safe.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus