Coronavirus

whelk

Surely the caution bit is only allowing three year groups in at a time with possibly reduced numbers? It seems to me that some teachers want pupils permenently at home until a vaccine is found. Even if young children can transmit it, we are going to have to learn to live with that risk and manage it at some point since there is no workable alternative. Rather than moaning about feeling unsafe, unions would be better served coming up with very specific and practical plans that they feel would make them happier about a plan. Have you seen anything about exactly what they are asking for? Because I haven't. Asking the government to "make it safe" whilst providing no workable outline of what they actually want is idiotic.

It depends - with such young children, I can’t see how it’s possible to maintain social distancing even with reduced numbers etc. Guidance is one thing - making sure it’s properly observed and implemented is quite another, especially given the relative flexibilities and freedoms with which many educational establishments operate. Are the authorities in Scotland, Wales and NI planning to reopen on June 1? Do you have any real evidence that some teachers won’t return until a vaccine is found, at least in the numbers that could explain the opposition we’re seeing?

Edited by shurlock

It depends - with such young children, I can’t see how it’s possible to maintain social distancing even with reduced numbers etc. Are they planning to reopen on June 1 in Scotland, Wales and NI? Do you have any real evidence that some teachers won’t return until a vaccine is found, at least in the numbers that could explain opposition like this?
You can't social distance with such young children that is my point. You shouldn't be doing it and it would be detrimental to attempt to do it. I said it seems that some teachers want the schools to stay closed until there is a vaccine and they have said they feel unsafe but not said what needs to happen before they will feel more safe to the point that they can return. I know you don't like anecdotal evidence either but I'm very good friends with a group of teachers who are absolutely sick of the unions and their constant calls for strike action.

You can't social distance with such young children that is my point. You shouldn't be doing it and it would be detrimental to attempt to do it. I said it seems that some teachers want the schools to stay closed until there is a vaccine and they have said they feel unsafe but not said what needs to happen before they will feel more safe to the point that they can return. I know you don't like anecdotal evidence either but I'm very good friends with a group of teachers who are absolutely sick of the unions and their constant calls for strike action.

Unions are calling for the scientific evidence to be published; some teachers, rightly or wrongly, want PPE; councils want stronger powers to close schools if testing reveals new cases. And frankly much depends on a fully operational testing and tracing system that can identify clusters and their proximity to schools - until that’s up and running and demonstrated to be effective commensurate with the level of transmission in the population (which is not yet the case), there’s going to be a degree of wariness which is not unjustified.

There is word going round that the government have chosen the years to go back based on the weaker unionisation of that teacher group. The unions are there to protect people. It is a shame that there wasn’t so much protection in other areas before the virus took a group. If we are speaking of anecdotal evidence, I know of several teachers who do not want to go back until safer conditions are agreed and who can blame them? They sign up to teach children, not to put their life on the line. Schools closed for a reason. There is no proper test, trace, isolate programme yet and the death rate is still depressingly high. What has changed other than the need to get more people back to work for the sake of the (already f*cked) economy). The worse thing we can do right now is allow another spike in infection rates. Yes, we do need to find a way to live with this virus for some time to come, but any return to a kind of normality needs to be properly managed and it has been a proper shambles here so far.

There is word going round that the government have chosen the years to go back based on the weaker unionisation of that teacher group. The unions are there to protect people. It is a shame that there wasn’t so much protection in other areas before the virus took a group. If we are speaking of anecdotal evidence, I know of several teachers who do not want to go back until safer conditions are agreed and who can blame them? They sign up to teach children, not to put their life on the line. Schools closed for a reason. There is no proper test, trace, isolate programme yet and the death rate is still depressingly high. What has changed other than the need to get more people back to work for the sake of the (already f*cked) economy). The worse thing we can do right now is allow another spike in infection rates. Yes, we do need to find a way to live with this virus for some time to come, but any return to a kind of normality needs to be properly managed and it has been a proper shambles here so far.

I'm sure that any teachers who die will be included in the Thursday-night applause.

Very ironic to see Boris out applauding the people whose pay rise he voted to block and then cheered when the result was announced.

Our sons go to Hamble Primary and Secondary. Both schools have been amazing throughout this.

The youngest goes in when my other half has to go to teach at her school a couple of days a week. They head contacted key worker parents before the Easter holidays saying they would be open every day and none of the teachers had even discussed the fact the school should be closed.

Hamble secondary sent a message the other day stating they they are looking at the guidelines for Year 10's going back and that they understand people might be worried. They stated they would not ask any teacher with underlying health conditions to return to work and also that if any parents do not want to send their child in there would be no punishment in the way of fines for non attendance.

Luckily, because of the good weather, the kids are spending the majority of their days outside. I imagine this would continue for those schools fortunate enough to have fields to accommodate it when more children return.

It's understandable that some teachers may have reservations about returning though, and they are quite right to ask for risk assessments to be put in place. If they can be satisfied then there's no reason for them not to go back with reduced class sizes.

Surely the caution bit is only allowing three year groups in at a time with possibly reduced numbers? It seems to me that some teachers want pupils permenently at home until a vaccine is found. Even if young children can transmit it, we are going to have to learn to live with that risk and manage it at some point since there is no workable alternative. Rather than moaning about feeling unsafe, unions would be better served coming up with very specific and practical plans that they feel would make them happier about a plan. Have you seen anything about exactly what they are asking for? Because I haven't. Asking the government to "make it safe" whilst providing no workable outline of what they actually want is idiotic.

How can the Unions come up with a plan when they are NOT the experts!!! If I was a teacher, I would not be happy going back when no one knows if this can be transmitted from the kids & then back to their families. Younger kids aren't going to miss out much if they don't return to school until Sept when hopefully we may know more.

How can the Unions come up with a plan when they are NOT the experts!!! If I was a teacher, I would not be happy going back when no one knows if this can be transmitted from the kids & then back to their families. Younger kids aren't going to miss out much if they don't return to school until Sept when hopefully we may know more.
Well that's an absolutely ludicrous attitude that displays little to no understanding of child development. The youngest age groups are actually missing out the most in terms of development. Many have incredibly difficult home lives, stuck in tiny council houses, have had a very poor diet for months now etc. The idea that the youngest "won't miss out much" from losing half a year of their education is laughable.

Well that's an absolutely ludicrous attitude that displays little to no understanding of child development. The youngest age groups are actually missing out the most in terms of development. Many have incredibly difficult home lives, stuck in tiny council houses, have had a very poor diet for months now etc. The idea that the youngest "won't miss out much" from losing half a year of their education is laughable.

So putting teachers in the potential firing line for a couple weeks of education is worth it??

So putting teachers in the potential firing line for a couple weeks of education is worth it??
It's a balance between safety of teachers and children and the damage that is being done by children not attending education. Let's also remember that many teachers actually support returning in June (and indeed many have been going to school on a regular basis anyway). What about nurseries and preschools? The vast majority are opening for all who need them in June because many will be returning to work and require childcare. Presumably you view this as "putting early years practitioners in the potential firing line"?

Yeah cause shop workers have 20/30 kids running around their ankles:mcinnes:
Given that we know that the early years are the most important in terms of long term development (despite some believing they "won't miss out much"), that many councils are concerned about the wellbeing of many children currently not attending school or preschool and that whatever the risk of transmission between children and adults is, that risk will still be there whenever settings decide to open what do you propose? Social distancing in early years settings is impossible, should they be shut down for another year or two or possibly permenently if a vaccine is never developed? Should the taxpayer continue to fund all wages and funding during that period?

Given that we know that the early years are the most important in terms of long term development (despite some believing they "won't miss out much"), that many councils are concerned about the wellbeing of many children currently not attending school or preschool and that whatever the risk of transmission between children and adults is, that risk will still be there whenever settings decide to open what do you propose? Social distancing in early years settings is impossible, should they be shut down for another year or two or possibly permenently if a vaccine is never developed? Should the taxpayer continue to fund all wages and funding during that period?

That's what it really comes down to isn't it?...You are right though, a limited number of teachers have been coming in and covering for the essential workers and vulnerable kids but I'm pretty sure most teachers would prefer the assurance of a safe workplace to return to. My dad's wife is a pharmacist in Guangzhou in China and the school kids there have to be tested again every three days.....do we have the facilities for that? She found it hilarious when my dad told her some of the measures announced here....she just asked "does your government like money more than it's people then"....I realise the counter-argument you'll make about China as well but it's a point.

Yes.

To ensure that the post was GDPR compliant and that no 'details that could identify a person' were included.

GDPR doesn't apply to individuals posting on message boards and you were quoting a press article.

Very odd.

That's what it really comes down to isn't it?...You are right though, a limited number of teachers have been coming in and covering for the essential workers and vulnerable kids but I'm pretty sure most teachers would prefer the assurance of a safe workplace to return to. My dad's wife is a pharmacist in Guangzhou in China and the school kids there have to be tested again every three days.....do we have the facilities for that? She found it hilarious when my dad told her some of the measures announced here....she just asked "does your government like money more than it's people then"....I realise the counter-argument you'll make about China as well but it's a point.

No it's not what it "all" comes down to- there are other issues as I've already explained- but the economics of the situation are definitely an important factor and a consideration otherwise we could easily just say let's keep the UK in lockdown for two years whilst we formulate a vaccine. What constitutes a "safe" workplace given that we know that young children will not be able to do social distancing? Also as you have recognised yourself, the last country I would use as an example for caring about individual citizens is China although not having a concept of human rights probably does lend itself rather well to virus control.

No it's not what it "all" comes down to- there are other issues as I've already explained- but the economics of the situation are definitely an important factor and a consideration otherwise we could easily just say let's keep the UK in lockdown for two years whilst we formulate a vaccine. What constitutes a "safe" workplace given that we know that young children will not be able to do social distancing? Also as you have recognised yourself, the last country I would use as an example for caring about individual citizens is China although not having a concept of human rights probably does lend itself rather well to virus control.

Yes, I wouldn't consider China a decent example for that but then, China isn't the only country a bit taken aback by this move is it? Obviously the longer this goes on the more costly it becomes but we need to make sure we are not sacrificing safety for money.

Yes, I wouldn't consider China a decent example for that but then, China isn't the only country a bit taken aback by this move is it? Obviously the longer this goes on the more costly it becomes but we need to make sure we are not sacrificing safety for money.
I'm not sure what sacrificing safety for money means. That just sounds like a slogan rather than something meaningful.

I'm not sure what sacrificing safety for money means. That just sounds like a slogan rather than something meaningful.

To put it simply: cutting corners so that staff can go back to work to boost the economy.....i.e whilst it's definitely a good idea to plan forward, we need to make sure it's implemented when the death rate isn't still in the hundreds.

Hopefully this doesn’t descend into a teacher bashing thread. We’re easy targets because of job security (people keep having children, not our fault!) but I and many others have worked most weekdays since March, including bank holidays, looking after key worker and vulnerable children. I’d love the children back properly as this is harder work then my day to day to be honest. I’m not going to mention science because I don’t know the answers, but a few points on what I do know though;

Firstly social distancing - if you hear it mentioned, ignore it. It won’t happen and it can’t happen. Logistically impossible and 4/5/6 year olds won’t adhere to it and nor should they.

Classes of 15 - the majority of primary schools don’t have enough classrooms or enough adults for this to actually happen, especially when some staff are still going to be shielding. Long term it’s even worse because it’ll be hard enough with three year groups, let alone six.

PPE - we’ve been informed that this isn’t appropriate because it’ll scare the children. I personally disagree with this and think it should be available if staff want it.

It still isn’t going to be school as we know it. The children back in school will still be falling further behind. Most won’t have their usual teacher and could well have someone with no experience of early years. The majority of learning at that age is play based (limited, if any play materials will be allowed) and teacher interaction/observation (again unlikely to be possible).

I actually think they government proposals for secondary schools are wholly sensible with a focus on exam year groups. But successfully opening primary schools with these measures are pretty much impossible. I haven’t got a clue what the answer is and I’m pretty sure the government and unions don’t either.

Hopefully this doesn’t descend into a teacher bashing thread. We’re easy targets because of job security (people keep having children, not our fault!) but I and many others have worked most weekdays since March, including bank holidays, looking after key worker and vulnerable children. I’d love the children back properly as this is harder work then my day to day to be honest. I’m not going to mention science because I don’t know the answers, but a few points on what I do know though;

Firstly social distancing - if you hear it mentioned, ignore it. It won’t happen and it can’t happen. Logistically impossible and 4/5/6 year olds won’t adhere to it and nor should they.

Classes of 15 - the majority of primary schools don’t have enough classrooms or enough adults for this to actually happen, especially when some staff are still going to be shielding. Long term it’s even worse because it’ll be hard enough with three year groups, let alone six.

PPE - we’ve been informed that this isn’t appropriate because it’ll scare the children. I personally disagree with this and think it should be available if staff want it.

It still isn’t going to be school as we know it. The children back in school will still be falling further behind. Most won’t have their usual teacher and could well have someone with no experience of early years. The majority of learning at that age is play based (limited, if any play materials will be allowed) and teacher interaction/observation (again unlikely to be possible).

I actually think they government proposals for secondary schools are wholly sensible with a focus on exam year groups. But successfully opening primary schools with these measures are pretty much impossible. I haven’t got a clue what the answer is and I’m pretty sure the government and unions don’t either.

Thanks for the clarity!

I love the argument against PPE because of not wanting to scare the children - as if having their teacher die of covid wont scar them for years! Good luck mate. I hope that they can sort out a situation where you are as safe as possible given the circumstances.

I love the argument against PPE because of not wanting to scare the children - as if having their teacher die of covid wont scar them for years! Good luck mate. I hope that they can sort out a situation where you are as safe as possible given the circumstances.

What PPE do you imagine a teacher should wear?

It's been widely stated - even on here - that wearing a mask is for the protection of others. Unless I'm misunderstanding the concept here, I assume that the PPE is to protect the teacher from the children, in which case they would need to wear the full monty, just like the NHS treating Covid infected patients - shoe covers, scrubs, apron, gloves, FFP3 mask (which are in incredibly short supply right now!), full face mask, hair covering. Not exactly your usual teacher get up is it?

To put it simply: cutting corners so that staff can go back to work to boost the economy.....i.e whilst it's definitely a good idea to plan forward, we need to make sure it's implemented when the death rate isn't still in the hundreds.

This is the second time you've mentioned 'death rate' in the hundreds. Why is that relevant as to why people should or shouldn't be going back to work?

"Doctors have backed teachers' unions by saying Covid-19 infection rates are too high for England's schools to reopen.

The British Medical Association said teachers and heads were "absolutely right" to urge caution and prioritise testing to avoid a second spike."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52669441

Especially since the 'R' rate they've been telling us about is back on the rise....but apparently that doesn't matter now......just like the figures from other countries when we started going past them.

What PPE do you imagine a teacher should wear?

It's been widely stated - even on here - that wearing a mask is for the protection of others. Unless I'm misunderstanding the concept here, I assume that the PPE is to protect the teacher from the children, in which case they would need to wear the full monty, just like the NHS treating Covid infected patients - shoe covers, scrubs, apron, gloves, FFP3 mask (which are in incredibly short supply right now!), full face mask, hair covering. Not exactly your usual teacher get up is it?

It is possible that an asymptomatic teacher could pass it onto a child, who although probably being unaffected, could pass it onto mum/dad/whoever. I think masks are appropriate in these circumstances.

Why do you think it isn't?

Because it is the infection rate that the Government and their appointed scientists have claimed is the relevant measure with respect to when restrictions should be lifted. The 'death rate' isn't one of the five 'tests' they have set. Surely the 'death rate' is the end result for the minority of infections and isn't therefore a reliable measure for when people should go to work.

Why do you think it is relevant as to why people should or shouldn't be going back to work?

It is possible that an asymptomatic teacher could pass it onto a child, who although probably being unaffected, could pass it onto mum/dad/whoever. I think masks are appropriate in these circumstances.

Indeed, however, like I said, it's my understanding that the unions have been stating it is unsafe for teachers - hence the full PPE needed to protect them.

I understand the potential for children to infect others in their families - although as Hypo has stated earlier there is very little evidence that this has happened so far - but given that the possibility for that will exist until a vaccine has been developed, tested and rolled out, should schools stay closed until that time?

OK let's deal with some hypotheticals. Let's suppose that children can pass it on to adults. Is ppe the thing that's required for schools to feel safer and consider opening? If so what form would that ppe take? If you're saying masks, if we suppose that the government agrees to that, with masks would it then be OK for those objecting to open in June? Some posters are saying that the death rate is too high for schools to open in June. I'm more sympathetic to that argument because I'm not an expert and if the argument is purely that science is saying that the rate of the virus is too high and the government is ignoring the science and opening anyway then I'm right behind that argument. Is that the case? What level does the death rate have to be before schools would feel safe to open and surely the most appropriate measure when assessing safety is the proliferation of the virus in the community?

I suppose what I'm really asking is what steps would have to be taken for schools to feel comfortable with opening soon?

Edited by hypochondriac

Because it is the infection rate that the Government and their appointed scientists have claimed is the relevant measure with respect to when restrictions should be lifted. The 'death rate' isn't one of the five 'tests' they have set. Surely the 'death rate' is the end result for the minority of infections and isn't therefore a reliable measure for when people should go to work.

Why do you think it is relevant as to why people should or shouldn't be going back to work?

And, of course, the measure you mention is on the rise as well......waiting for them to say that's not important either. Also, when people are dying around you, it tends to create a bit of panic but I don't really need to explain my reasoning to you, it's obvious to most people....just not sycophantic tory boys obviously.

And, of course, the measure you mention is on the rise as well......waiting for them to say that's not important either. Also, when people are dying around you, it tends to create a bit of panic but I don't really need to explain my reasoning to you, it's obvious to most people....just not sycophantic tory boys obviously.

Lol. I've answered your question but you refuse to answer mine and instead have decided to throw in some school yard insults, seems like the adult response to be fair!

According to the stats, about 320 deaths involving Covid-19 were recorded yesterday - the lowest daily total since March apparently - but of those it is not clear how many would have died anyway and how many are above and beyond the statistical norms for this time of year. What 'bit of panic' is this creating that would stop people from returning to work?

Lol. I've answered your question but you refuse to answer mine and instead have decided to throw in some school yard insults, seems like the adult response to be fair!

According to the stats, about 320 deaths involving Covid-19 were recorded yesterday - the lowest daily total since March apparently - but of those it is not clear how many would have died anyway and how many are above and beyond the statistical norms for this time of year. What 'bit of panic' is this creating that would stop people from returning to work?

Compare those numbers to the countries coming out of lockdown.

OK let's deal with some hypotheticals. Let's suppose that children can pass it on to adults. Is ppe the thing that's required for schools to feel safer and consider opening? If so what form would that ppe take? If you're saying masks, if we suppose that the government agrees to that, with masks would it then be OK for those objecting to open in June? Some posters are saying that the death rate is too high for schools to open in June. I'm more sympathetic to that argument because I'm not an expert and if the argument is purely that science is saying that the rate of the virus is too high and the government is ignoring the science and opening anyway then I'm right behind that argument. Is that the case? What level does the death rate have to be before schools would feel safe to open and surely the most appropriate measure when assessing safety is the proliferation of the virus in the community?

I suppose what I'm really asking is what steps would have to be taken for schools to feel comfortable with opening soon?

I’m certainly no expert. I feel sorry for my headteacher, she is having to make massive decisions with very little guidance from government and is trying to do best by children and staff. From purely my perspective, your point about communities is key;

I’d pass more responsibility to local authorities. I know the academy love in took LA’s out the picture but they’re best placed to guide local schools. It shouldn’t be a whole country approach, what’s right for London or Birmingham schools might not be right for a Bournemouth school at this moment in the pandemic.

The science that their basing this decision on needs to published - Whitty and Vallance meeting the unions today was a positive step, especially since the BMA’s statement declaring it’s too early to open.

PPE isn’t a big one for me personally but if it is for others then fine. Even if it’s a psychological thing of ‘feeling’ safer.

I’d actually give the test track and trace system some time to get going properly so neighbourhood transmission can be tracked and actions taken as appropriate.

But what do I know? I just want to go to work and teach the children properly. I’m sure a lot will change between now and June.

Compare our teachers willingness to go back to work, with theirs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go back to work? Some of us haven’t left work yet since this started.

This is the best quote I've seen....sums up a few opinions here:

"Unions represent workers. They do not control them. The National Education Union isn't stopping anyone from going to work. They are doing what any good union should - working hard to prevent their members from being forced to work in an unsafe environment.

Anyone who tells you any different is either deeply misinformed or making a conscious effort to spread misinformation."

Sick of hearing teachers and school staff use the “kids won’t social distance” excuse. Fûcking get control of your pupils then.

Every single one of them? Wanna give it a try? Teaching has essentially been crowd control for years with ever larger numbers....sick of uninformed people (usually with a political bias) blaming teachers for our inept government's handling of this.

Sick of hearing teachers and school staff use the “kids won’t social distance” excuse. Fûcking get control of your pupils then.

Seriously? They’re teachers, not drill sergeants. Trying to keep them in order is like herding cats.

Is the right answer for about year 3 upwards.

Thirty 4 year olds? Good luck.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus