Page 33 of 74 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 3659

Thread: Coronavirus

  1. #1601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Not a lot to talk about.
    Who’s in charge without Boris?

  2. #1602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buctootim View Post
    I've been surprised how comparatively little lockdown activity there has been on Saintsweb. Would have thought with so many people bored at home posting would have risen but reverse seems the case if anything.
    Most people do their Saintsweb posting at work. When they are home there is a load of stuff to do.

  3. #1603

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunny Shirley
    Posts
    2,046

    Default

    So when we get through this and life returns to some semblance of normality, will there be an acceptance that many of the lowest paid people are in fact the most valuable to society and we would be in the sh#t without them.

    Supermarket staff, NHS cleaners, delivery drivers, bin men, care home workers have all shown how vital they are whereas I don't think that we've suffered due to a shortage of people in marketing, public relations, management consultants and other jobs that I fail to see the point of.

    Will we see these valuable low-paid people be rewarded for their vital contribution to keeping the country going?

    Are those pigs that I see flying over my house?

  4. #1604

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West Virginia/Ohio USA
    Posts
    320

    Default

    What is interesting around the people I know is that the kinds of people who would be ok being stuck at home are the people with the essential jobs still going out to work and the people who find having a quiet sit down at home intolerable are the ones locked up inside. I think there are some interesting dynamics about what temperament attracts people to certain occupations.

  5. #1605

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Mate, I'm not willing to waste my time debating with you. You're clearly an idiot.
    I'll take that as you can't find any and therefore tacit agreement

  6. #1606

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecuk268 View Post
    So when we get through this and life returns to some semblance of normality, will there be an acceptance that many of the lowest paid people are in fact the most valuable to society and we would be in the sh#t without them.

    Supermarket staff, NHS cleaners, delivery drivers, bin men, care home workers have all shown how vital they are whereas I don't think that we've suffered due to a shortage of people in marketing, public relations, management consultants and other jobs that I fail to see the point of.

    Will we see these valuable low-paid people be rewarded for their vital contribution to keeping the country going?

    Are those pigs that I see flying over my house?
    Sadly not as these are also the 'unnoticed' workers who go about their work day in and day out largely forgotten about - until something goes wrong and the bins don't get emptied or the supermarket shelves are not full and then all hell breaks loose!

  7. #1607

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecuk268 View Post
    So when we get through this and life returns to some semblance of normality, will there be an acceptance that many of the lowest paid people are in fact the most valuable to society and we would be in the sh#t without them.

    Supermarket staff, NHS cleaners, delivery drivers, bin men, care home workers have all shown how vital they are whereas I don't think that we've suffered due to a shortage of people in marketing, public relations, management consultants and other jobs that I fail to see the point of.

    Will we see these valuable low-paid people be rewarded for their vital contribution to keeping the country going?

    Are those pigs that I see flying over my house?
    It will be interesting to see how many of those who stand outside their house clapping will be willing to pay a bit more tax to actually help the NHS and those essential low paid workers.

    Chances are they will still scream "Venezaula" again at the thought of not being able to get the latest Range Rover Evoque.

  8. #1608

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post

    Chances are they will still scream "Venezaula" again at the thought of not being able to get the latest Range Rover Evoque.
    I hope not

  9. #1609

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,321

    Default

    Still got mine from the 2010 World Cup

  10. #1610

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post
    I'll take that as you can't find any and therefore tacit agreement
    Take it as I put it mate.

  11. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Still got mine from the 2010 World Cup
    LOL, I got it. Not sure others saw the reference.

  12. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    It will be interesting to see how many of those who stand outside their house clapping will be willing to pay a bit more tax to actually help the NHS and those essential low paid workers.
    Yes, that is what it's going to take. Huge government spend on benefits now will need to be funded over time. And then additional spend for the services you mention....it's going to require a tax rise.

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecuk268 View Post
    So when we get through this and life returns to some semblance of normality, will there be an acceptance that many of the lowest paid people are in fact the most valuable to society and we would be in the sh#t without them.

    Supermarket staff, NHS cleaners, delivery drivers, bin men, care home workers have all shown how vital they are whereas I don't think that we've suffered due to a shortage of people in marketing, public relations, management consultants and other jobs that I fail to see the point of.

    Will we see these valuable low-paid people be rewarded for their vital contribution to keeping the country going?
    I hope so, ecuk, and I work in one of 'pointless' sectors above. I see my daughter going into work in NHS GP for under £9 an hour, and I sit at a laptop for £35 an hour. It's not right.

  14. #1614

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West Virginia/Ohio USA
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Most people do their Saintsweb posting at work. When they are home there is a load of stuff to do.
    I have noticed how quiet many different forums have been over the last few weeks, I am guessing all those non essential workers had to fill up their non essential time with something. Now they are home they have probably found something interesting to do.

  15. #1615

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Take it as I put it mate.
    It's your opportunity to educate the 'thick idiot', grab it with both hands

  16. #1616

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    LOL, I got it. Not sure others saw the reference.
    Took a few seconds, but I got there

  17. #1617

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Searching for the voice of reason
    Posts
    3,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    If anyone is interested in a bit of antibody news... https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotec...antibody-trial

  18. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    It will be interesting to see how many of those who stand outside their house clapping will be willing to pay a bit more tax to actually help the NHS and those essential low paid workers.

    Chances are they will still scream "Venezaula" again .
    It will be interesting to see many of those shouting “look at Germany” will be willing to move The NHS nearer to their model and away from our 1940’s throwback.

    Chances are they will still scream USA again.

  19. #1619

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    It will be interesting to see many of those shouting “look at Germany” will be willing to move The NHS nearer to their model and away from our 1940’s throwback.

    Chances are they will still scream USA again.
    There was a piece online explaining Germany's two tier system.

    Their publicaly funded system decide (yearly I think) what they can and cant/won't cover for the next period. If what you need is not covered and you only pay into public health care, then tough, go private or jog on

    Imagine that here. My god. Any PM that Introduces that would get lynched.

    I think it is the right way to go. The current model we have is simply not fit for purpose, unless we shut down other govt departments to fund it. Even then, the money will run out soon enough.

  20. #1620

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    7,127

    Default

    Still wondering why our borders remain open for all and sundry. Anyone can still fly in from New York, Spain, Italy. All without any screening, quarantine or test. Too far gone to make any difference?

  21. #1621

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,321

    Default

    Boris out of ICU.

  22. #1622

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LGTL View Post
    Still wondering why our borders remain open for all and sundry. Anyone can still fly in from New York, Spain, Italy. All without any screening, quarantine or test. Too far gone to make any difference?
    Don't you need a plane to fly?

  23. #1623

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    At my desk.
    Posts
    6,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    Yes, that is what it's going to take. Huge government spend on benefits now will need to be funded over time. And then additional spend for the services you mention....it's going to require a tax rise.
    Fair enough. My pension is not massive, but I was able to pay my council tax for the year in a lump sump this month; I thought the local council might appreciate the cash flow in the current circumstances.

  24. Default

    Just heard my Father in law has tested positive. Mrs is working tonight & doctors have just told her. No way he’ll be able to fight it off, very sad a lonely end for the guy. He was admitted to hospital with something else & they’re hoping he caught it there rather than the care home he lives in.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  25. #1625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Just heard my Father in law has tested positive. Mrs is working tonight & doctors have just told her. No way he’ll be able to fight it off, very sad a lonely end for the guy. He was admitted to hospital with something else & they’re hoping he caught it there rather than the care home he lives in.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    So sorry to hear that LD.

  26. #1626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Just heard my Father in law has tested positive. Mrs is working tonight & doctors have just told her. No way he’ll be able to fight it off, very sad a lonely end for the guy. He was admitted to hospital with something else & they’re hoping he caught it there rather than the care home he lives in.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That isnt good news. Sorry to hear that.

  27. #1627

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Garden of Engerland
    Posts
    4,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    It will be interesting to see many of those shouting “look at Germany” will be willing to move The NHS nearer to their model and away from our 1940’s throwback.

    Chances are they will still scream USA again.
    It wasn't the NHS that wasn't prepared for the pandemic it was the government, they were told in 2016 to prepare but decided not to because of austerity. I think its clear why South Korea has managed this better then anyone else, they were prepared and had a plan, it will be interesting to understand the reason why Germany have fared better than us.

    Sorry about your father in law.

  28. #1628

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    20,160
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Just heard my Father in law has tested positive. Mrs is working tonight & doctors have just told her. No way he’ll be able to fight it off, very sad a lonely end for the guy. He was admitted to hospital with something else & they’re hoping he caught it there rather than the care home he lives in.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Really sorry to hear LD. Sympathies go out to your wife too who’s already sacrificing plenty for the rest of us.
    Last edited by shurlock; 10-04-2020 at 08:51 AM.

  29. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Really sorry to hear LD. Sympathies go out to your wife too who’s already sacrificing plenty for the rest of us.
    Thank you, & to everyone else who has sent sympathy.

    She went in to say goodbye to him early this morning, as they’re pretty convinced this is it. She was all PPE’d up and held his hand for 10 mins. He’s vey confused but squeezed her hand occasionally which gave her comfort that he knew she was there. The guy is 93 & had a decent innings, but this is a horrible way to go.

    She’s in bits at the moment, but is adamant she’s going to work tonight.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  30. #1630

    Default Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Thank you, & to everyone else who has sent sympathy.

    She went in to say goodbye to him early this morning, as they’re pretty convinced this is it. She was all PPE’d up and held his hand for 10 mins. He’s vey confused but squeezed her hand occasionally which gave her comfort that he knew she was there. The guy is 93 & had a decent innings, but this is a horrible way to go.

    She’s in bits at the moment, but is adamant she’s going to work tonight.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is so very sad. There was a recovered 104 yo on the news so don’t give up hope.

    Ambulance came for elderly neighbour of ours today. It’s is the isolation and loneliness of it all that makes it so hard to bear for so many.

    Although the brilliant people in the NHS makes sure they are loved. Your snapdragon being one for sure.
    Last edited by whelk; 10-04-2020 at 09:33 AM.

  31. #1631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Thank you, & to everyone else who has sent sympathy.

    She went in to say goodbye to him early this morning, as they’re pretty convinced this is it. She was all PPE’d up and held his hand for 10 mins. He’s vey confused but squeezed her hand occasionally which gave her comfort that he knew she was there. The guy is 93 & had a decent innings, but this is a horrible way to go.

    She’s in bits at the moment, but is adamant she’s going to work tonight.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I hope he surprises you Lord D. Your poor wife.

  32. Default Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Sergei Gotsmanov View Post
    I hope he surprises you Lord D. Your poor wife.
    The guys done it before, in Jan they told my Mrs to prepare for the worst and a few days later he was back in the care home. This times different, he seems to have given up. Stoped eating and drinking a few days ago and they’re feeding him via tube. He was on his way anyway and was already admitted for something else before developing symptoms. He’s lost his wife of 67 years & the Mrs sister the past 3 years and the last month he’s been talking about “joining them”. As horrible as it sounds we’re all hoping it’s quick now.

    Unfortunately, there’s going to be people a lot younger than 93 passing away, and a lot of families going through what we are. For all our differences on here, I just hope everyone & their loved ones come out the other side.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  33. #1633

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Thank you, & to everyone else who has sent sympathy.

    She went in to say goodbye to him early this morning, as they’re pretty convinced this is it. She was all PPE’d up and held his hand for 10 mins. He’s vey confused but squeezed her hand occasionally which gave her comfort that he knew she was there. The guy is 93 & had a decent innings, but this is a horrible way to go.

    She’s in bits at the moment, but is adamant she’s going to work tonight.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    So sorry to hear this, my thoughts are with you and your good lady. Her willingness to carry on working for the benefit of others is amazing.

  34. #1634

    Default

    Sobering posts above from those whose relatives are ill. Fingers crossed they pull through. Best wishes to everyone.

  35. #1635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    The guys done it before, in Jan they told my Mrs to prepare for the worst and a few days later he was back in the care home. This times different, he seems to have given up. Stoped eating and drinking a few days ago and they’re feeding him via tube. He was on his way anyway and was already admitted for something else before developing symptoms. He’s lost his wife of 67 years & the Mrs sister the past 3 years and the last month he’s been talking about “joining them”. As horrible as it sounds we’re all hoping it’s quick now.

    Unfortunately, there’s going to be people a lot younger than 93 passing away, and a lot of families going through what we are. For all our differences on here, I just hope everyone & their loved ones come out the other side.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A somber assessment. Sometimes people can just make up their minds. Thank Mrs D for her efforts on the front line.

  36. #1636

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West Virginia/Ohio USA
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fan The Flames View Post
    It wasn't the NHS that wasn't prepared for the pandemic it was the government, they were told in 2016 to prepare but decided not to because of austerity. I think its clear why South Korea has managed this better then anyone else, they were prepared and had a plan, it will be interesting to understand the reason why Germany have fared better than us.

    Sorry about your father in law.
    I think the simple explantion is on the whole Germans like following rules, so when told to do something they generally do, unlike other cultures that value individuality more and those countries (Cough, Cough USA) have had a larger outbreak.

  37. #1637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Force View Post
    I think the simple explantion is on the whole Germans like following rules, so when told to do something they generally do, unlike other cultures that value individuality more and those countries (Cough, Cough USA) have had a larger outbreak.
    Terrible humour though

  38. #1638

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    20,160
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Force View Post
    I think the simple explantion is on the whole Germans like following rules, so when told to do something they generally do, unlike other cultures that value individuality more and those countries (Cough, Cough USA) have had a larger outbreak.
    It also helps that the leader of one country is an actual scientist who laps up detail and planning; and the other is a reality TV star who was bankrolled by his daddy (and even then managed to go bankrupt several times).
    Last edited by shurlock; 10-04-2020 at 05:23 PM.

  39. #1639

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Just heard my Father in law has tested positive. Mrs is working tonight & doctors have just told her. No way he’ll be able to fight it off, very sad a lonely end for the guy. He was admitted to hospital with something else & they’re hoping he caught it there rather than the care home he lives in.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My thoughts to you and your family and affected people you all know. Will raise a glass to you all and others that are suffering right now.

  40. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Force View Post
    I think the simple explantion is on the whole Germans like following rules, so when told to do something they generally do, unlike other cultures that value individuality more and those countries (Cough, Cough USA) have had a larger outbreak.
    The Germans are only following orders.

  41. #1641

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    P-Tr boundary
    Posts
    3,833

    Default

    Very sorry to hear your issues LD. Hope he recovers.

  42. #1642

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Padded cell with WiFi
    Posts
    2,419

    Default

    Hope he recovers LD,Sevvy

  43. #1643

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    You can tell you’re a Tory, classic ‘I’m alright Jack attitude’. Not a moments thought for the poor sod with underlying health conditions you might spread it onto.
    Out on the bike today and saw a guy on an 'invalid scooter' with a face mask connected to an oxygen bottle. He was out for a 'roll' along sand bay seafront with lots of families walking around with their dogs. Looks like some people don't want to be 'helped'.

    The amount of cars out and about today it looks like lock down has been lifted....

  44. #1644

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    P-Tr boundary
    Posts
    3,833

    Default Coronavirus

    Matt Hancock now blaming the PPE shortage on the doctors and nurses who use it. Can I call this guy a cuñt yet?
    https://apple.news/A70R6mqzCQlC_9j8NN_46IQ

  45. #1645

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    31,345
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic View Post
    Matt Hancock now blaming the PPE shortage on the doctors and nurses who use it. Can I call this guy a cuñt yet?
    https://apple.news/A70R6mqzCQlC_9j8NN_46IQ
    Tbf I know someone very senior in all this and he is saying there is a real problem with too much ppe being used on people who don't need it. It's a difficult balance tbf

  46. #1646

    Default

    There’s lots of fcks up but seems like people are getting more partisan now defending their ‘side’

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52082248

  47. #1647

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    20,160
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Tbf I know someone very senior in all this and he is saying there is a real problem with too much ppe being used on people who don't need it. It's a difficult balance tbf
    You seemingly know everyone!

  48. #1648

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Tbf I know someone very senior in all this and he is saying there is a real problem with too much ppe being used on people who don't need it. It's a difficult balance tbf
    The wife's place/trust has oodles of PPE.
    10,000 (more in many cases now) items delivered at least weekly.

    It is fairly strict on when/how it is used but their 'Line to Take' is to contsantly say they are very short in order to maintain pressure. Which was demonstrated a couple of weeks ago in a local article showing staff using eye protection donated from one of the local schools.....only for them to put on the correct PPE once the local journo went.

    Issue they have at the trust, every man, woman and HCA believes (rightly or wrongly) they should be donning full PPE no matter what the scenario. That simply can't be achieved.

  49. #1649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    The wife's
    Pull the other one.

  50. #1650

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    31,345
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    You seemingly know everyone!
    It's not that much of a coincidence is it seeing as he lives in Southampton which is where I live as well. Unlike soggy I don't make up encounters with people who agree with me, in fact I didn't have an opinion on ppe either way until he mentioned it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •