West Ham 3-1 Saints - Reaction

Bad Wolf

Why didn't Ings start ? Why have 2 right backs in the squad and sacrifice our midfield playing Jwp there ? Why didn't McCarty punch the ball ? Why bring on a defender when we were 2 goals behind?

Because it worked pretty well against Villa. JWP and Smallbone both looked very good in their positions and there was little or no need to change it. We've got little to play for now, I'm happy enough giving Smallbone a run and leaving the Spurs loanee on the bench if that's what Ralph would prefer.

Why didn't Ings start ? Why have 2 right backs in the squad and sacrifice our midfield playing Jwp there ? Why didn't McCarty punch the ball ? Why bring on a defender when we were 2 goals behind?
Romeu should have started instead of Smallbone........West Ham too direct and strong for our powder puff defence ....West Ham and Burnley double over us as we cant handle the bully boy approach .

Because it worked pretty well against Villa. JWP and Smallbone both looked very good in their positions and there was little or no need to change it. We've got little to play for now, I'm happy enough giving Smallbone a run and leaving the Spurs loanee on the bench if that's what Ralph would prefer.

West Ham are a much better team than villa.

Lack of desire compared to west ham was very disappointing.

No doubt they would have scored a 2nd anyway but McCarthy’s misjudgment was very annoying.

Nice goal by obafemi about the only positive.

Smallbone looks like a prospect but away to west ham was not the right setting imo.

Smallbone does look like a good prospect but Romeu would have been a better choice today. Today also showed how much Long is flattered by the presence of Danny Ings and on his own or with a partner like Obafemi, his deficiencies are laid bare....should not be getting a contract extension.

Am a big fan of Boufal, but he was disappointing today and please (Ralph) stop playing JWP at RB.

Smallbone does look like a good prospect but Romeu would have been a better choice today. Today also showed how much Long is flattered by the presence of Danny Ings and on his own or with a partner like Obafemi, his deficiencies are laid bare....should not be getting a contract extension.

Am a big fan of Boufal, but he was disappointing today and please (Ralph) stop playing JWP at RB.

Thought we'd already agreed a further two years.

What is wrong with Djenepo....where was he...? We can't lose him, Ings and Redmond and expect to perform...lose any creativity and ability to play quickly on the floor through defences. Boufal should be able to step up and prove himself in their absences but was at his worst today...over-playing and not working back hard enough to win the ball when we're out of possession. I'm done with the Boufal experiment now...move him on...let's get a harder-working fast creative midfielder instead of him. Hoj a big heart but lacks pace. JWP huge - needs the midfield and captaincy in a revitalised team.

Let's get two more wins asap please...

What is wrong with Djenepo....where was he...? We can't lose him, Ings and Redmond and expect to perform...lose any creativity and ability to play quickly on the floor through defences. Boufal should be able to step up and prove himself in their absences but was at his worst today...over-playing and not working back hard enough to win the ball when we're out of possession. I'm done with the Boufal experiment now...move him on...let's get a harder-working fast creative midfielder instead of him. Hoj a big heart but lacks pace. JWP huge - needs the midfield and captaincy in a revitalised team.

Let's get two more wins asap please...

His Mother passed away a couple of days ago.

All legitimate questions for a competent manager to answer if we could get these questions via a competent journalist to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ings was said to be only fit enough to be on the bench and they also said on Motd that Djenepo's mother had died . Moyes was quoted on BBC sports on line as saying their plan was to let us have the ball , which worked !

Ralph should have seen what was going on and changed things but WHU were playing so much better than when Moyes took over.

McCarthy left it too late to jump for the ball, got both hands on it but Antonio had got his head to it after an impressive jump . It would be good if we had a plan when we take corners , JWP got back from one to block a shot but WH had several chances from our corners.

Edited by East Kent Saint

Not picking on you, Simo, but this is a typical post from someone happy to jump on the critical bandwagon without looking at facts.

Why didn't Ings start? Clearly explained by Ralph that he had a knock from training and wasn't fully match fit. He was on the bench for emergencies but Ralph hoped to rest him.

We have two right backs, neither of whom is match fit. Both, IMO, would have had a torrid time yesterday. JWP is probably our best midfielder but at the moment he's also our best RB. He can't play in both positions so the question is where do we have stronger cover? I agree with Ralph's assessment that Smallbone is better cover in midfield (he did have a pretty good game) than Valery or KWP would be at RB.

McCarthy didn't punch the ball because he knew he should have made the catch. He was bullied off the catch and made a mistake. All players make mistakes: keepers' tend to have more immediate consequences. He hasn't made many recently and one mistake doesn't make him a bad keeper. Too many of the usual suspects on here only too keen to jump on a chance to criticise and undermine.

As for the Vestergaard sub, it was clearly an attempt to change the shape to let JWP and Bertrand to get forward. There was space on the wings. You can argue that Adams should have come on but I didn't see it as a bad move. Would one more striker doing the same have made a difference?

But overall, obviously a bad day at the office and the recurring theme of being bullied by a strong physical team is something we have to learn to deal with. Not looking forward to Watford!

The twin problems yesterday weren't difficult to see. Firstly, with Ings, Djenepo and Redmond not starting, that's a big dent in our creativity. Add to that Armstrong getting battered early on didn't help: he didn't look sharp after that

And secondly, if you let in three goals, you're not going to win many games. Our defence just didn't cope with their strong front four. Bowen was fired up for his debut and looks like he could be their saviour.

Blue line. Move on. Would love three points next week: the sooner we get the last few we need, the better. But won't be easy. Hopeful Ralph will give them a rocket and we'll have intensity (and at least Ings) back for Newcastle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

if neither RB is match fit so cannot play, when are they going to get match fit?

As MLG told us last week Valery has been back 4 week now and played last week for the u23s. Walker Peters only missed one game with his injury before yesterday so I’m not really quite sure how either can not be fit, surely you only get match fit by playing matches?

As MLG told us last week Valery has been back 4 week now and played last week for the u23s. Walker Peters only missed one game with his injury before yesterday so I’m not really quite sure how either can not be fit, surely you only get match fit by playing matches?

I just find it weird how posters just make this stuff up, rather than just say, we have deliberately made ourselves weaker in a key position for no footballing reason at all.

JwP was doing brilliantly in the middle of the park, I suspect he will be miffed (not publicly), as playing RB will harm any chance he has getting into the Euro's squad.

Im sure I will get shot down for that, but hey ho

I just find it weird how posters just make this stuff up, rather than just say, we have deliberately made ourselves weaker in a key position for no footballing reason at all.

JwP was doing brilliantly in the middle of the park, I suspect he will be miffed (not publicly), as playing RB will harm any chance he has getting into the Euro's squad.

I still find it incredible we went into the January transfer window saying it was important to strengthen the defence and came out of it with it weaker and people still defend it saying there was absolutely nothing wrong with our January business. The sort of people that if they caught their wives noshing off another bloke they’d pretend they didn’t see it.

Not picking on you, Simo, but this is a typical post from someone happy to jump on the critical bandwagon without looking at facts.

Why didn't Ings start? Clearly explained by Ralph that he had a knock from training and wasn't fully match fit. He was on the bench for emergencies but Ralph hoped to rest him.

We have two right backs, neither of whom is match fit. Both, IMO, would have had a torrid time yesterday. JWP is probably our best midfielder but at the moment he's also our best RB. He can't play in both positions so the question is where do we have stronger cover? I agree with Ralph's assessment that Smallbone is better cover in midfield (he did have a pretty good game) than Valery or KWP would be at RB.

McCarthy didn't punch the ball because he knew he should have made the catch. He was bullied off the catch and made a mistake. All players make mistakes: keepers' tend to have more immediate consequences. He hasn't made many recently and one mistake doesn't make him a bad keeper. Too many of the usual suspects on here only too keen to jump on a chance to criticise and undermine.

As for the Vestergaard sub, it was clearly an attempt to change the shape to let JWP and Bertrand to get forward. There was space on the wings. You can argue that Adams should have come on but I didn't see it as a bad move. Would one more striker doing the same have made a difference?

But overall, obviously a bad day at the office and the recurring theme of being bullied by a strong physical team is something we have to learn to deal with. Not looking forward to Watford!

The twin problems yesterday weren't difficult to see. Firstly, with Ings, Djenepo and Redmond not starting, that's a big dent in our creativity. Add to that Armstrong getting battered early on didn't help: he didn't look sharp after that

And secondly, if you let in three goals, you're not going to win many games. Our defence just didn't cope with their strong front four. Bowen was fired up for his debut and looks like he could be their saviour.

Blue line. Move on. Would love three points next week: the sooner we get the last few we need, the better. But won't be easy. Hopeful Ralph will give them a rocket and we'll have intensity (and at least Ings) back for Newcastle.

Pleased to say was lucky enough to be there yesterday and agree with all of this.

A lot of the game was reminiscent of the bad old days of the early season. We looked vulnerable to the simple ball over the top and to any pace or power. We were out muscled all day. JWP playing out of position is hurting us. I thought Armstrong did well enough mainly because he played with a pace and energy in significant contrast to others - Boufal in particular was dreadful.

The Vestergaard sub was definitely an attempt to change shape but ineffective - as you say we missed Redmond and/or Djenepo, and Ings was off the pace. So ultimately the system change at that stage was never going to be enough.

We move on, we will get the win/points needed to stay up but not sure it is going to be a barnstorming end to the season, more a stuttering one.

An appalling performance by the Saints, huffing and puffing all afternoon but never really offering any real threat on goal. It was a huge mistake to play Smallbone instead of Romeu against a physical long ball team like WHU and we paid the price. He looked a comparative lightweight and was easily by-passed by their midfield. Boufal was hopeless, he got his chance to start and blew it big time.

Three at the back at the end was a sign of desperation by Ralph, it's OK saying our defence was a mess but with no shielding mid-field what did we expect. Surely it would have made more sense to start with Valery or Walker-Peters at RB and JWP at right centre opposite Hojberg who incidentally had a stinker as well. That would have given us more balance and a better grip on midfield with more threat in attack.

Thanks for this Shroppie. Good to read a thoughtful and well balanced post for a change!

I don’t think any of us was delighted with the January transfer window but I did hear that we had a transfer lined up early on that fell through. The problem, as we all know, is getting the right players in. If they are not available for whatever reason, the last thing we need is to sign more bang average players. It looks like we will limp through until the summer when a lot of work needs to be done. I don’t see the point in kicking off now, but if we go into next season without major surgery on the squad, even I might get my pitchfork out.

Good post, highlights everything that RH had to deal with for yesterdays game, pretty much agree with all of this. I think a lot of people are a bit ****ed off that our 'mini revival' form has now ended and we're back to the 'mid lower league team' form, which is more realistic give our squad - the absentees hurt us yesterday.

We'll get enough points, but we're not going to pull up any trees from here to the end of the season.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Good post, highlights everything that RH had to deal with for yesterdays game, pretty much agree with all of this. I think a lot of people are a bit ****ed off that our 'mini revival' form has now ended and we're back to the 'mid lower league team' form, which is more realistic give our squad - the absentees hurt us yesterday.

We'll get enough points, but we're not going to pull up any trees from here to the end of the season.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Agree and it's pleasing to see we still have some rational posters left on here

Was a bad day at the office. A lot of our success comes from JWP/Hoijberg in centre mid, Redmond, Ings etc. Most of which wasn’t available to us yesterday. Hopefully our proper RB’s are available next week and we can get a bit back to normal.

Some teams just kind of have your number, and West Ham just play a way that really tests our weaknesses. Fair play to them, their plan worked a treat and we didn’t really react to it.

Only thing that frustrated me yesterday was a general lack of urgency. Seemed a bit lethargic from the off.

Meh, we’ll still be fine and we’re kind of where I expect us to be now. Win a couple, lose a couple.

This season was always about surviving, while trying to improve on last season. We look set to do that, anything extra is a bonus. We’ll have had a mixed season with extreme lows (spanked first day, 9-0) and comparable highs (run of form, victories over top six clubs, Skates demolished) but signs are there that bit by bit Ralph is learning his players, learning his trade better (ditching a formation that wasn’t working and having faith in his own system) and could quite possibly keep building the team for the better. We just need to keep offloading the poor signings and hope that incoming transfers are better than previous summers.

West Ham are fighting for their lives, and the minute I saw the line ups yesterday I thought we were done for. On paper they have a decent team, just mismanaged. Watford likewise, it’s likely both those two will escape relegation. (Norwich, Villa and Brighton for me.) Newcastle and Norwich to come, 3/4 points from those should see us over the line.

Few pluses from yesterday, but Obafemi scoring continues his development at least in terms of confidence. At one point it seemed like we could have got spanked more, so keeping the score line down was also important.

As an aside, Cresswell's early assault on Armstrong was quite deliberate and should have been a red card

Shouldn’t that have been picked up by VAR? Perhaps it was a good effective tactic by West Ham to target Armstrong and take him out of the game.Maybe they realised he was a danger man, with no Ings, Redmond or Djenepo. Reminds me of Stoke.

Every season for at least the past five or six years we capitulate to the sides around and below us. I honestly thought that when Puel left we would never return to 'Crab football'. Yesterday was a classic example of not pressing. When we did we scored. Possession football may be OK when you are two or three up but look at what Watford did yesterday. They didn't have much posssion but used the opportunity to press. Ralph really must sort out this complacency. Yet again we were exposed at the back. I just hope next Saturday we will actually get three more vital points and it's quite possible that we can as long as we stop this faffing around in our half.

Would have started KWP and played JWP in his best position (as was the consensus around me in the ground). Don’t buy this not match fit nonsense - just assumed that RH wanted to keep together last week’s winning side (which had as much to do with the opposition). Even though JWP had a good game, he still showed limitations as a fullback (he was partly responsible for their first and was done for pace a few times, including a decent chance for Haller who should have scored from a close header).

As it turned out, most of Wham’s best attacks went down the middle rather than the flanks - often with one simple ball. As such shoring up the middle was a greater priority than the wings. The Villa game flattered Smallbone - playing Wham was always going to be a different proposition. Although he was tidy enough on the ball, he struggled with the pace and power of Wham. Needless to say Hojbjerg did him few favours. Wham were able to exploit the same mismatch over and over without having to break much sweat as we didn’t change shape/personnel or respond until it was too late.

Clearly McCarthy was guilty for the second goal, though I was already angry in the buildup by Stephens and Bednarek’s play - they let a simple lofted ball bounce and Haller beat both of them. The chance should have been cut off way before McCarthy’s howler.

Edited by shurlock

I can't argue with much of that but I'll try a little haha , I think my questions are still valid one . If Ings is fit to play surely it would have been better to start him get a lead then rest him ? (I was in London so never read any pre match quotes from Ralph regarding his fitness either) As others have said kwp and Valery have both been training so imo one or the other should have started imo bringing back our midfield paring which has been one of our strongest points on our good run of form . Agree smallbone didn't have the worst game but also didn't do anything that blew me away. As for the Vestergard sub I don't think a change of shape would have (or did) do much Jwp doesn't have the pace to be a flying wingback. Anyway by then the game was lost and as others have also said we allowed ourselves to be bullied by a poor team once again I hope we invest in some steel in the summer because boy do we need it .

How has releasing an unfit (ie one that couldn't play) RB made us weaker? I'm genuinely intrigued.

As an aside, Cresswell's early assault on Armstrong was quite deliberate and should have been a red card

I thought the same. If it had been accidental, it wouldn't have had that effect. He put considerable force into that blow. You could see his arm moved sharply away from his body, not with it, as it would have done if it had been by chance.

Players know that if you do something like that at the beginning of the game, you'll almost certainly get away with it.

I thought the same. If it had been accidental, it wouldn't have had that effect. He put considerable force into that blow. You could see his arm moved sharply away from his body, not with it, as it would have done if it had been by chance.

Players know that if you do something like that at the beginning of the game, you'll almost certainly get away with it.

An appalling performance by the Saints, huffing and puffing all afternoon but never really offering any real threat on goal. It was a huge mistake to play Smallbone instead of Romeu against a physical long ball team like WHU and we paid the price. He looked a comparative lightweight and was easily by-passed by their midfield. Boufal was hopeless, he got his chance to start and blew it big time.

Three at the back at the end was a sign of desperation by Ralph, it's OK saying our defence was a mess but with no shielding mid-field what did we expect. Surely it would have made more sense to start with Valery or Walker-Peters at RB and JWP at right centre opposite Hojberg who incidentally had a stinker as well. That would have given us more balance and a better grip on midfield with more threat in attack.

I'd say that's an exaggeration. Yes, JWP would have strengthened midfield but he did better defensive work than others and my guess is Valery or KWP could have been overrun.

Romeu for Smallbone might have worked better, accepted. But Smallbone is the future and is more creative.

We've gone from Boufal, Redmond and Djenepo competing for one place to no choice and that's damaging us. If Djenepo isn't back next week we may need a different approach. I think against Newcastle I'd agree with getting JWP back into midfield and playing KWP. On today's performance, maybe even Smallbone fir Boufal.

But I don't think Vestergaard was desperation. Just trying something different instead of just throwing on another striker.

I'd say that's an exaggeration. Yes, JWP would have strengthened midfield but he did better defensive work than others and my guess is Valery or KWP could have been overrun.

Romeu for Smallbone might have worked better, accepted. But Smallbone is the future and is more creative.

We've gone from Boufal, Redmond and Djenepo competing for one place to no choice and that's damaging us. If Djenepo isn't back next week we may need a different approach. I think against Newcastle I'd agree with getting JWP back into midfield and playing KWP. On today's performance, maybe even Smallbone fir Boufal.

But I don't think Vestergaard was desperation. Just trying something different instead of just throwing on another striker.

Good post, I saw the team sheet, as I stood in the hail waiting to be searched, and knew Saints would struggle.

Take Ings, Redmond, or Djneppo out of the side and clearly our attack is severely blunted. With a decidedly average performance from McCarthy, Bendarek, Bertrand, Boufel, and Holberg, the omens weren't good.

However personally I don't think the performance wasn't that bad, just emphasised how thin the squad is and how vulnerable the defence is.

Ralph cannot magic up a top 7 side with that squad. We all know it, and safety this year is the best we can hope for.

I would have played Stephens at right back and brought in Vestergaard. Maybe Adams for Obafemi. The only motivation being to match WHU physically, and hope they messed up.

Other than that what other options did Ralph have. Teams give Saints the ball now as they don't seem to be able to do a thing with it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

How has releasing an unfit (ie one that couldn't play) RB made us weaker? I'm genuinely intrigued.

Because the unfit RB who was released won't be unfit for the rest of the season. Meanwhile, for the rest of the season we will have to muddle through with JWP, KWP and Valery..making us weaker on all the evidence which includes how good results were when Cedric started. Fairly conclusive I'd say.

Because the unfit RB who was released won't be unfit for the rest of the season. Meanwhile, for the rest of the season we will have to muddle through with JWP, KWP and Valery..making us weaker on all the evidence which includes how good results were when Cedric started. Fairly conclusive I'd say.

I think we're at cross purposes. Cedric release was nuts and when fit he's better than we have. But to date, his departure has not weakened us cos he'd couldn't have played.

I think we're at cross purposes. Cedric release was nuts and when fit he's better than we have. But to date, his departure has not weakened us cos he'd couldn't have played.

Sure; but I didn't see a "to date" inclusion in your original post.

After a couple of days to reflect on that performance I can conclude that I am never going to West Ham again if I am located in upper part of that stadium. Awful view, rubbish atmosphere and overall poor experience.

Ralph mucked up on Saturday and he needs to address the problem with playing against two physical forwards and teams that by pass midfield, otherwise most teams will do this and we are in trouble. We make Antonio look world class every time we play West Ham, we may as well hand Burnley and West Ham 6 points each at the start of the season and save everyone's time and money.

The subs were utterly bonkers, it was as if he wanted to shut up shop and hold onto a 3-1 defeat instead of going for it. If we would have got a goal with 15 mins to go, the crowd would have got edgy and who knows what would have happend.

The only positive was that I live 4 stops on the overground and was back home before 5.45pm.

Saturday has to be better, as I believe 38-40 points might not keep you up this year.