West Ham 3-1 Saints - Reaction

Bad Wolf

There's only so many key players you can lose before you stop being competitive in the Premier League. Losing our 3 most attacking players hurt us badly and there's not much the team can do about a goalkeeping error. Didn't quite work out today but we'll be back stronger for Newcastle.

A few worrying signs in there for me. Bullied out of 6 points by a relegation struggler, looked clueless and panicky at the back again, lots of the ball without any purpose. Have the goals dried up for Danny? Big game next week against Newcastle, loose that and it'll be squeaky bum time (not that i think we'll go down), but any ambition we had will be purely about survival.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

On the virtually one occasion that Saints attacked with pace they scored. The rest of the game we spent much of the time passing the ball slowly around the back and then losing it when trying to edge forward. Then there was the lack of creativity in the attacking third.

Typical home performance really.

The sooner we scrape 40 points the better.

Boufal infuriates me when he refuses to pass where he should, instead goes for the glory ball and gives away possession.

Playing for himself and not the team.

Too many other poor performances. Not good enough in the centre of defence, very easy for them to get behind us.

We need JWP back in midfield next week.

Bit of a flat performance, like last year.

Farting about trying to play out for their first. McCarthy should of punched Haller for the 2nd. Les Read should have signed Antonio from Reading for the 3rd.

Nice goal from us, and a few other situations that were overworked.

Smallbone did well until a bad square ball, when he had forward options lead to their 2nd.

If Djenepo had been available, we might have been able to switch a back 3 with Bertrand when it became clear that Antonio was playing of Haller.

One step forward two steps back with this squad. Every time you think they are starting to finally improve as a team they put in another ****e performance like this.

You've just taken the words out of my mouth. You just knew we'd go there today and put in a ****e performance. This lot really **** me off. A colleague has just said to me, "It must be really disappointing being a Saints fan. You win a couple of games, look really well organised and solid and potentially pushing for a top half finish. Then you go and put in really crap, gutless performances against teams who are below you in the league and look more like a team who will just about stay up."

Knowing Saints, we'll end up going into the last 3 games of the season needing wins in the Derbies against Brighton and Bournemouth, who will both be fighting for survival and will have a lot more fight than we seem to be able to muster.

I remember saying last season, why can't we just get the job done early and make things easy for ourselves? We constantly seem to shoot ourselves in the foot and end up limping over the line.

and play a flat back 10.....we of course are woeful against such a set up......all be fixed in the summer

We are at our best when teams attack us mercilessly and the weather is perfect.

+ when the ref is fair and VAR has a successful day.

++ when we have a fully fit squad

We are at our best when teams attack us mercilessly and the weather is perfect.

+ when the ref is fair and VAR has a successful day.

++ when we have a fully fit squad

Better than sheff United and Burnley on those days.

Team needs a massive overhaul. One problem! Where's the money coming from.......
It's not a problem, because it's not getting a 'massive overhaul'. A few players might come in, but that is dependent on what we can shift. Our owner has no money (no secret), we have to sell to buy.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Ralph back to his early season form, team selection and setup all over the place. Played into their hands.

Was sat 3 rows from the back, miles away from the pitch. **** day all round.

To be fair, what more could he have done? We have **** all available to us and generally speaking, everyone other than Ings are pretty sh!t.

Hate playing West Ham, they haven’t beaten any other Premier league team as much as they’ve beaten us, it’s so predictable and unfortunately they are going to stay up and get to beat us again next season, two years in a row they’ve done the double over us.

Poor line up, as soon as I saw teams announced I had a few quid on West Ham just to profit from what we all knew was coming.

Next two games v Newcastle and Norwich, we need to be much better.

Not unexpected really, just reinforces the fact that the squad is poor, can't cope with a more physical opponent and mentally weak.

Plus throw in goalkeeping errors for good measure. How may Gk's is that now who have proven unreliable ? I thought that was to come to an end when Watson was moved sideways and a new GK coach came in apparently not.

Wedon'tsignsh!tkeepers;wecoachthemthatway#

We were decent, some good stuff played, but moved the ball too slowly at times. Really it was their size and power that were too much for us.

Like the home game against them; and the Burnley matches.

Very much this. West Ham played like we were the home side, letting us have the ball and looking to spring on the break. Same result as many of our home games, some good stuff, a lack of real quality hidden by work rate and dodgy at the back.

Didn’t help that quite a few had poor games.

My god, some "fans" seem to really hate their club

Yep. We all know the issues. Constantly highlighting them ain't gonna change a thing.

Poor selection team. Poor performance. Beaten by the better and more motivated team. Move on and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

We miss Redmond, and JWP at right back isn't working. Obi needs to put himself about a bit more to be an effective front man, and Boufal was poor. We did play some good football today in patches, but again defensive errors have cost us. We looked better with the back 3 switch but by that time WHU were more defensive it seemed. Thats 3 less than average performances in a row now (we wern't great v Villa). We aren't getting more players anytime soon and its a shame the momentum we had seems to have stalled a bit lately.

I expect us to beat Newcastle though

Yep. We all know the issues. Constantly highlighting them ain't gonna change a thing.

Poor selection team. Poor performance. Beaten by the better and more motivated team. Move on and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Do we all know though? At the end of the January window you said it was a good window and asked "what more do we need"

Since then we've dropped 5 league places, costing us c£10m in revenue and exited the FA Cup (lost revenue unknown)

Do we all know though? At the end of the January window you said it was a good window and asked "what more do we need"

Since then we've dropped 5 league places, costing us c£10m in revenue and exited the FA Cup (lost revenue unknown)

and now we are playing our best midfielder at RB as a result!

Of course we do. What we need in terms of a proper rebuild, and what we needed (and could reasonably expect to actually get) mid season to get us through, are different things.

Today was a shocker, and highlighted our lack of size, strength and pace.

We were decent, some good stuff played, but moved the ball too slowly at times. Really it was their size and power that were too much for us.

Like the home game against them; and the Burnley matches.

That's how I saw it as I yawned my way round Harry Potter World with the Mrs whinging at me for watching a match stream on the phone. We just don't cope too well with direct teams with big hefty forwards do we.

Ralph back to his early season form, team selection and setup all over the place. Played into their hands.

Was sat 3 rows from the back, miles away from the pitch. **** day all round.

Didn't think his team selection was all over the place at all. He's working with a wafer thin squad with injuries to key players, and gets **** all help from our esteemed owner.

We were poor, but its football, look at the other results today, Liverpool stunned by Watford, Chelsea only drawing with Bournemouth, if you aren't mentally on it in this league then it doesn't matter who you play you'll get beat.

It's just annoying this squad needs so many wake up calls, we seem to play our best football when the pressure is on and following up poor performances, West Ham wanted it more because they needed it more and our players performed like the season was already over, by his comments I expect Ralph will give them a massive kick up the arse this week.

But he shouldn't have to be doing that. Consistency is all over the place mainly because the players can seemingly raise themselves to really good levels for some games and not for others.

That was a shambles. Every time we chicken out and try and pass the ball around at the back we pull ourselves out of shape, lose our high tempo, no press and expose the centre backs to breaks. We had 66% possession, probably less than 30% was any use the rest was one of the main reasons we lost. Most of the time we just turned the forwards into static spectators who had no idea what was going to happen next but that we were going to pass it around slowly until we lost it and were exposed to the break.

McCarthy back to passing out was a lot of the problem. First goal an ill advised pass to JWP instantly pressed instead of putting his foot through it, passed weakly up the line gave it away and a few passes later we picked it out of the net. His Prima Ballerina impression for the second goal was in Ralph's words "an absolute joke". McCarthy hasn't a clue and should just kick it long because firstly it would stop our back four passing it around and secondly we wouldn't be giving the ball away in dangerous areas.

Smallbone links up well but just contributed to the slow possession. He is neat and tidy but not combative in the slightest. We missed JWP in the middle and together with a full back should have made us stronger. Our goal was all that is good direct from the back, three players run and quick passing forward and Obefemi scores.

Nearly every game we lose and most home games are ruined by the nonsensical possession at the back. Just cut it out, high tempo pressing and quickly get the ball up to the forwards is the way we win matches. That should be the Southampton way. I think we should have peppered the WHU back line with early balls and forced them to defend at the same time leaving four back to shut down any clearances. and certainly be a lot more ruthless than we are.