Saints vs Newcastle Build Up Thread

Dark Munster

Why? It's true

It really isn't. Someone can still be a fan despite not buying a ticket for a particular match. I'm not willing to spend £40/£60 to see us play Newcastle and I'm still a committed fan.

To be fair, Saint-Maximin does have a touch of the old Adama Traores about him: great ability, dribbling, speed, but hopeless end product.

Someone decent will take a punt on him if he becomes available and see if they can't harness all that potential.

I'd have him at Saints in a heartbeat.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

He has that combination of pace and power that we pretty much struggle with every time we encounter it.

Looks like Newcastle got a strong team out tonight. Extra time, penalities, a red card or two and the odd injury (not too serious, just a week out) would all be good.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Sadly it's looking like a nice little confidence boost instead.

Another team we struggle to beat and can’t see this going any other way than a 1-2 loss. We’re going to be sucked into another messy relegation battle unless something extra can be found. Djenepo and Boufal are not showing enough to replace even Redmond, Adams still not showing enough striking quality, Hojberg (our Captain) is looking half the player he was and wants away, our defence is still flaky. Squad is paper thin in quality.

Another team we struggle to beat and can’t see this going any other way than a 1-2 loss. We’re going to be sucked into another messy relegation battle unless something extra can be found. Djenepo and Boufal are not showing enough to replace even Redmond, Adams still not showing enough striking quality, Hojberg (our Captain) is looking half the player he was and wants away, our defence is still flaky. Squad is paper thin in quality.

Harsh on Djenepo, he was MOM against Villa, caused them all sort of problems and was picked out for his performance by MOTD etc. and then his mum died, so he wasn't involved against West Ham.

Newcastle are pretty average at best, they are in relegation form they haven't scored a goal in the league in the last 4 and that includes failing to score against Oxford Utd and they have sneaked through 3-2 in the FA Cup against a championship and league 1 team.

They are relying on their very flukey results from the first half of the season, where they parked the bus and fluked goals from centre-backs, now that is not happening as much, they aren't scoring and they are making more mistakes at the back/

I expect a much better showing from our team, Ralph seemed pretty angry with them and I reckon he'll have give them a bollocking, I reckon we'll win.

Really hope I'm wrong, but this has either got 0-0 or 1-0 Newcastle written all over it.

We can't break down teams at home due to lack of creativity and Newcastle will sit deep and try to hit us on the break with the pace of Almiron and Saint-Maximum. If the latter has hit shooting boots on Saturday and they are clinical it could be a long afternoon.

Until Ralph finds a way of overcoming the Burnley's, West Ham's and Newcastle's of this league expect the same results time and time again.

This one looks like a draw to me although, obviously, I hope for better.

I can see us crawling over the line rather than pushing on.

Saint-Maximin worries me. If he gets into his stride we have no-one to stop him.

He has 1 PL goal and 1 assist. Lots of PL sides have been able to stop him... ;)

And Almiron only has 2 goals and 1 assist in the PL from 27 games.

I am not sure why people are so scared of these players, they are fast sure, but they don't contribute much, they seem similar to what Troare was a few years ago, lots of pace and dribbling but no end product.

Between them they have 3 goals and 2 assists from 43 games.

Djenepo has 2 goals and 2 assists from only 9 starts.

Their top scorer is Shelvey with just 5, and the 4 centre-backs are their joint second top scorers, we should be more worried about defending set pieces IMO.

They have only scored 24 goals all season (worse in the league) and literally 50% of those goals have come from set pieces, only one of their goals has come on the counter attack.

Pace and power are attributes we can easily nullify!

Yes, through team work!

Ward-Prowse is no where near as quick as Zaha. Still kept him in his back pocket, with help from teammates.

If Ward-Prowse isn't used again at right back and Walker-Peters or Valery start then along with Bertrand we have some quick fullbacks.

I see Wanyama was available on a free. We have no one with the muscle to deal with fast, physical and muscular players (like Newcastle has). That looks like negligence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see Wanyama was available on a free. We have no one with the muscle to deal with fast, physical and muscular players (like Newcastle has). That looks like negligence.

There is a reason he has been signed by Montreal Impact... he is not remotely the player he used to be. His knees have had it!

Pace and power are attributes we can easily nullify!

its fine mate, if you remove the games against us Michal Antonio only has 1 PL goal and 1 assist this season too, plenty of other sides have been able to stop him... ;)

I am not sure why people are so scared of these players, they are fast sure, but they don't contribute much, they seem similar to what Troare was a few years ago, lots of pace and dribbling but no end product.

It's not that anyone thinks they are good. It's because these are the players that always seem to score against us.

Between them they have 3 goals and 2 assists from 43 games.

Djenepo has 2 goals and 2 assists from only 9 starts.

Their top scorer is Shelvey with just 5, and the 4 centre-backs are their joint second top scorers, we should be more worried about defending set pieces IMO.

They have only scored 24 goals all season (worse in the league) and literally 50% of those goals have come from set pieces, only one of their goals has come on the counter attack.

That`s encouraging.

It's not that anyone thinks they are good. It's because these are the players that always seem to score against us.

They don't particularly score against anyone.

Of course they might score, but its far more likely Newcastle won't score at all, will score from a set piece/long shot or from a bad defensive error from us.

Particularly as we are likely to have more of the ball and we don't seem to be very good when that happens.

I am not worried about Newcastle scoring, its us scoring that is going to be the issue, especially if Redmond and Djenepo continue to be out and JWP has to play right back again.

Shelvey seems to do well against us, some I think that we should move JWP back into midfield to "****house" him.

At the back, it is probably best not to start with a 3 with Vestigaard, as he will struggle if Newcastle don't go long to Joelton, but break with pace instead in the wide areas If Djenepo is OK, I would play a normal back 4 with Vallery or KWP at right back, and then switch to a back 3 if required by moving Bertrand over and using Djenepo as a wing back. like the end of the Spurs home cup game.

Not sure who should partner Ings up front, as Long was hiding behind defenders last week and you can't press a team that are happy to give you possession, or get behind a team that play a solid block of 8/9 on the edge of their box.

Has he actually played since he battered us up there?

Probably not much.

Latest from physio room:

Mar 02: "We know the issue we have got. Unfortunately, we can't seem to get him right. It is nothing to do with his ankle. It is frustrating but we hope he is back in the next couple of weeks."

:thumbup:

Probably not much.

Latest from physio room:

Mar 02: "We know the issue we have got. Unfortunately, we can't seem to get him right. It is nothing to do with his ankle. It is frustrating but we hope he is back in the next couple of weeks."

:thumbup:

Is that from March 2002 ?

Certainly seems he's been injured for ages

Would go....

--------------McCarthy

----KWP Bednarek Stephens Bertrand

------------JWP Hojbjerg

----Armstrong--------Djenepo

-----------Long--Ings

Yep. Could arguably have Valery at RB instead but it's a coin toss for me. I just want to see JWP back in the middle where he belongs. I've got a feeling though that we'll see something different, 3 at the back perhaps.

Yep. Could arguably have Valery at RB instead but it's a coin toss for me. I just want to see JWP back in the middle where he belongs. I've got a feeling though that we'll see something different, 3 at the back perhaps.

As I posted earlier, picking that team allows you to switch to a back 3 , using KWP and Djenepo as wing backs, without using a sub. Ralph did this in a recent home gem, Spurs maybe.

They couldn't wish for more accommodating opponents next week to end that then.

Newcastle are away to WBA in the Cup on Tuesday. Maybe that will help us.

Was a decent win for them to give a bit of confidence, might end up working against us.

I hope not, the problem we have is whoever players at the back isn't good enough, sometimes we get away with it sometimes we don't. But that's the position we are in and what happens when a manager is here for 3 transfer windows and only allowed to bring two players in (which he had to fund via sales)

I don't think he will start Boufal and Djenpo, even though I would. Boufal was very poor against West Ham, but promising the last home game he played before he went off injured.

I think he will do:

McCarthy

KWP

Bednarek

Stephens

Bertrand

JWP

Romeu

PEH

Djenpo

Ings

Long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, pity that we didn't make an approach before he signed up to play in the States.

Would go....

--------------McCarthy

----KWP Bednarek Stephens Bertrand

------------JWP Hojbjerg

----Armstrong--------Djenepo

-----------Long--Ings

[emoji106] Unless he sticks with JWP at RB (hope not), team should pick itself. Please no messing around with Vestergaard.

Smallbone and Armstrong unavailable according to Hasenhuttl.

Smallbone ill and Armstrong not trained due to concussion vs West Ham.

No wonder Armstrong wasn't great against WHU if he played 88 mins with concussion..

That must mean JWP back in midfield with JWP/Valery at RB. Problem with Armstrong out. For me he's the intelligent and imaginative part of our attack. Guess that may mean Boufal and Djenepo but I'd be interested to see Adams tried in a slightly more withdrawn role.