Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

Judging by some comments on here and people I know, I honestly think a few people (hopefully a minority but seems to be a large minority) are in denial about the seriousness of this outbreak - have you seen the Sky coverage of Italian hospitals? Understandable to an extent as the younger generation (below 50) have not seen any real hardship.

We're not seeing football or any other sport in a long while folks - let the clever/political guys figure out how the season end is called, but there will be no more physical games played this season.

They are now 4 down (another one tested positive) - karma ??

Ps. this is only a flippant comment, no deep offence intended !!

They are now 4 down (another one tested positive) - karma ??

Ps. this is only a flippant comment, no deep offence intended !!

Haven't seen any reports of positive tests at SFC yet, the skates will no doubt be claiming that's 4-0 to them and trumps our 4-0 in their own back yard.

Did you actually read what he said before getting upset about it?
Quite.

What he's said makes a lot of sense. There will obviously be a way, in a couple of months time, to put on football matches.

The nation, by then, will need entertainment, things to look forward to and talk about.

Sport can do that.

In mid-May, after two months of everything shut and weeks and weeks of daily news about deaths, children climbing up the walls at home, people without purpose or work, the country is going to be at breaking point.

If in June there are tests to test the 50 or so people required to put on a behind closed doors football match then I think they will start doing that. If the widespread national testing of people is underway then it would be completely appropriate.

The fragile national consensus of "let's all stay in forever" will be straining and some entertainment/news/focus/collectivism may help to keep it going.

The idea that we can beat this virus by months and months of solemn purgatory at a national scale is misguided. Distraction will be required.

I'm expecting the BBC and ITV to put on some entertainment events to bring people together, and Sky putting on a week of back to back Premier League football (for free) could clearly be part of it.

This isn't China. You can't keep British people indoors with soldiers on the corner of the street. But you can with entertainment. It's the only weapons weve got.

Edited by CB Fry

Quite.

What he's said makes a lot of sense. There will obviously be a way, in a couple of months time, to put on football matches.

The nation, by then, will need entertainment, things to look forward to and talk about.

Sport can do that.

In mid-May, after two months of everything shut and weeks and weeks of daily news about deaths, children climbing up the walls at home, people without purpose or work, the country is going to be at breaking point.

If in June there are tests to test the 50 or so people required to put on a behind closed doors football match then I think they will start doing that. If the widespread national testing of people is underway then it would be completely appropriate.

The fragile national consensus of "let's all stay in forever" will be straining and some entertainment/news/focus/collectivism may help to keep it going.

The idea that we can beat this virus by months and months of solemn purgatory at a national scale is misguided. Distraction will be required.

I'm expecting the BBC and ITV to put on some entertainment events to bring people together, and Sky putting on a week of back to back Premier League football (for free) could clearly be part of it.

This isn't China. You can't keep British people indoors with soldiers on the corner of the street. But you can with entertainment. It's the only weapons weve got.

? Brilliant post

Quite.

Sport can do that.

Exactly!

Whilst many of us don't care right now, in a month or two time, when we're sick of re-runs of everything, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE will be crying out and welcoming behind closed doors, competitive football. It will help us stay in and help this pass by.

Quite.

Sport can do that.

Spot on.

I’m not really sure how anyone who read what semmens actually said can consider it “insane” or “insensitive”

He was as you say merely expressing after a couple of months of misery football can be the first shot in the arm to show people some sense of normality is returning, but he also says only when it’s safe and the NHS and police aren’t overrun. Strange how anyone can interpret it any differently.

Spot on.

I’m not really sure how anyone who read what semmens actually said can consider it “insane” or “insensitive”

He was as you say merely expressing after a couple of months of misery football can be the first shot in the arm to show people some sense of normality is returning, but he also says only when it’s safe and the NHS and police aren’t overrun. Strange how anyone can interpret it any differently.

So it can't be finished by June then surely?

Quite.

Sport can do that.

:mcinnes: This is exactly why this situation is getting worse. Dear God just how stupid and irresponsible can some people get?

This is insane. Why the **** are league 1 footballers who are young and are in social distancing measures getting tested, and yet NHS workers who could actually help this ****storm are forced to self isolate for 14days if their kid gets a cough rather than get tested themselves. It’s ****ing obscene.

This is insane. Why the **** are league 1 footballers who are young and are in social distancing measures getting tested, and yet NHS workers who could actually help this ****storm are forced to self isolate for 14days if their kid gets a cough rather than get tested themselves. It’s ****ing obscene.

I understand that the Skate players were tested because they had played Arsenal just after they played Olympiakos where there was a known problem (and Arteta got it as well) !

Totally agree that health workers should get absolute priority and fail to see where the testing kits came from for the footballers !!

I understand that the Skate players were tested because they had played Arsenal just after they played Olympiakos where there was a known problem (and Arteta got it as well) !

Totally agree that health workers should get absolute priority and fail to see where the testing kits came from for the footballers !!

they probably went private.

When the time is right to resume football

televise every premier league game adjust kick offs to allow 2-3 games per day, ideally free to all if not at a discounted rate i.e. reduced nowtv day passes, sell amazon more games

Have daily match of the day with extended highlights of the days 2-3 matches

Allow lower leagues to show all matches online for a small fee to boost finances

You can get a test done for £370 in Harley St , according to reports in the press. You may be clear but I assume it won't stop you catching it after the test ! They say they are developing a test to show if you have had it already ( checking antibodies I think) it which case you are OK to work in a hospital etc so I presume you won't get it twice .

:mcinnes: This is exactly why this situation is getting worse. Dear God just how stupid and irresponsible can some people get?

He's right though. Whilst we need to do everything we can now to stop the spread of the virus, the measures we are taking now simply aren't a ling term solution. You can't just lock the entire population in their houses/appartments indefinitely and hope we find a vaccine. People will go mad. We'll have a depression, both mentally and economically.

You can get a test done for £370 in Harley St , according to reports in the press. You may be clear but I assume it won't stop you catching it after the test ! They say they are developing a test to show if you have had it already ( checking antibodies I think) it which case you are OK to work in a hospital etc so I presume you won't get it twice .

The first test is pretty much pointless. You could test negative, walk outside and pick it up from a hand rail, 10 feet from the practice. The antibody test could be more useful long term, if you could then get a certificate allowing you to travel, work with at risk groups, etc.

Edited by Lighthouse

He's right though. Whilst we need to do everything we can now to stop the spread of the virus, the measures we are taking now simply aren't a ling term solution. You can't just lock the entire population in their houses/appartments indefinitely and hope we find a vaccine. People will go mad. We'll have a depression, both mentally and economically.

The first test is pretty much pointless. You could test negative, walk outside and pick it up from a hand rail, 10 feet from the practice. The antibody test could be more useful long term, if you could then get a certificate allowing you to travel, work with at risk groups, etc.

But a vaccine is not needed before things go back to normal If ppl self isolate and stopped spreading it, just like in China, the more ppl spread it the worse it becomes and the longer it will take to clear up and the more ppl will die as the NHS becomes over stretched due to ignorant ppl and self fish ppl ignoring simple instructions for a short period of time.

Furthermore I notice how ppl with plenty of money are now running away to remote places in the country spreading it into places that don't even have hospitals.

If ppl continue to ignor advice, eventually the government will be forced to impose martial law as Italy are having to do as ppl in Italy still continue to ignor advice.

Ppl think staying in doors for a couple of weeks is bad, well not following simple instructions now will mean they will end up being forced to do it for longer with even more restrictions In place instead of having some tiny bit of freedom like now.

But a vaccine is not needed before things go back to normal If ppl self isolate and stopped spreading it, just like in China, the more ppl spread it the worse it becomes and the longer it will take to clear up and the more ppl will die as the NHS becomes over stretched due to ignorant ppl and self fish ppl ignoring simple instructions for a short period of time.

Furthermore I notice how ppl with plenty of money are now running away to remote places in the country spreading it into places that don't even have hospitals.

If ppl continue to ignor advice, eventually the government will be forced to impose martial law as Italy are having to do as ppl in Italy still continue to ignor advice.

Ppl think staying in doors for a couple of weeks is bad, well not following simple instructions now will mean they will end up being forced to do it for longer with even more restrictions In place instead of having some tiny bit of freedom like now.

We can't just self isolate for a few months and hope the disease will die out. All that means is that as soon as the restrictions are lifted, there will be a mass outbreak again because there are bound to be people around the world who still have it without knowing. We need these measures now to stop the NHS being overwhelmed by an enormous flood of cases all at the same time but this isn't a long term solution.

China are:

1 - Lying

2 - Going to have exactly the same problem the minute they lift restrictions.

I think it's going to be a balancing act. First we get the rate of infection under control to a point where hospitals can reasonably manage the number of cases they have. Then we will have to relax and tighten certain restrictions on a pro-rata basis in order to balance life with the capacity of our hospitals.

They say after SARS etc the far east countries have learnt to respond to such an epidemic. In the west we have been complacent and have reacted too slowly . You could say that as the trade live wild animals for consumption in open markets in China etc that they cause them as well !!!!! (such as bats ,bush rats , lizards etc)

We can't just self isolate for a few months and hope the disease will die out. All that means is that as soon as the restrictions are lifted, there will be a mass outbreak again because there are bound to be people around the world who still have it without knowing. We need these measures now to stop the NHS being overwhelmed by an enormous flood of cases all at the same time but this isn't a long term solution.

China are:

1 - Lying

2 - Going to have exactly the same problem the minute they lift restrictions.

I think it's going to be a balancing act. First we get the rate of infection under control to a point where hospitals can reasonably manage the number of cases they have. Then we will have to relax and tighten certain restrictions on a pro-rata basis in order to balance life with the capacity of our hospitals.

If ppl cant follow advice and it becomes even more of an issue than it already is ( which is highly likely) then we are all grounded till a vaccine is made which is estimated to be at the earliest of 12 months away, if we can control it and stop it spreading and Killing a quarter of the population then the government won't have to order martial law, if ppl continue to ignor advice and hospitals become over whelmed like they are starting to, Martial law will have to be introduced so important infrastructure can continue to run other wise the country will shutdown.

If ppl can't put the nation over their selfishness of going outside cause they are Bored then for obvious reason ppl will need to be forced to stay inside like Italy, Germany, France, Spain are / starting to do, the UK isn't special it will have to follow the rest of the world eventually if ppl can't do as told like they haven't every where else.

It won't be received well on here probably, but it really felt like the UK government dithered pretty long in deciding whether or not to lockdown. Over here it seemed they took too long and then the UK decided to carry on without shutting things down for over a week longer, mostly due to it being too inconvenient. That extra week, with an increasing number of people infected and still inclose contact with others, thousands of others in the case of schools and public transport could really make a difference later on. Hopefully not though. It just seems that once you know that a lockdown is the only way forward, waiting a couple of weeks to do it seems a bit weak. The measures taken to keep people paid seem incredible though. Probably better than here where people laid off can only claim 60%.

Disturbingly, I recently heard from someone who works ina treatment centre in the UK (the actual person, not a friend of a friend of a friend) that the amount of peolel he's seen dying with his own eyes is far higher than the numbers being released. Not sure why they would be under-reporting the numbers. Anyone else heard anything like this?

Le Tiss is being a right tit over this crisis.

To start with, started saying he didn’t what the fuss was all about.

And now, refuses to admit he was wrong, compares Corona with the flu saying if we take measures like this, we should do it every year for the flu to protect our elderlies.

He should stick to football.

Low death rate though. Ditto Germany. Can only assume they have zillions of ventilators.

I'd say the death rate is probably about the same but fewer of the milder cases are being reported or tested. There will be plenty of people out there who've got/had it and stayed at home watching TV, without telling anyone.

Properly taking the pîss.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/exposed-the-doctor-who-got-2-5m-in-a-week-from-coronavirus-tests-78hd6wqfv

What will help is an antibody test that can identify people who have had the virus and can stop isolating. They can then go back to work, particularly important if they are healthcare professionals.

Well yes but only if its established that if you've had it once you won't get it again. No concrete confirmation of that yet as far as I can see.

Well yes but only if its established that if you've had it once you won't get it again. No concrete confirmation of that yet as far as I can see.

The question as to whether or not catching the coronavirus then gives people long-term immunity is massive. If it turns out that any acquired immunity is only short-lived because, for example, there are different sub-variants / strains of this virus (as per the common cold virus) then building herd immunity or creating an effective vaccine will be extremely difficult.

All the evidence suggests that you would develop some sort of immune response to COVID-19. The length of that response we do not know yet.

Remember, the current coronavirus test will not be 100% accurate. There will be false positives. Furthermore, with the amount of individuals contracting this, it might just be that for whatever reason 1 individual didn't raise a long-lasting immune response. Basically, there are many better explainations to the very few reported cases of two separate positive tests on the same individual.

The anti-body test will be very important in mapping the spread of the condition, and allowing some people to return to certain working positions assuming they take the proper precautions not to spread the condition. It will not bring an end to crisis though which will I suspect last months, if not upwards of a year. Managing it over this length of time is the only way to prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths and a complete crippling of our public services.

So because every other "virus infection" works like that then this one has to as well? I sincerely hope you are right.

So do I.

But this virus comes from a known family of viruses (SARS, MERS etc) so it is not doing anything dramatically different. This is how the body's immune sytem works.

So do I.

But this virus comes from a known family of viruses (SARS, MERS etc) so it is not doing anything dramatically different. This is how the body's immune sytem works.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00798-8

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/20/819038431/do-you-get-immunity-after-recovering-from-a-case-of-coronavirus?t=1584912712939

Le Tiss is being a right tit over this crisis.

To start with, started saying he didn’t what the fuss was all about.

And now, refuses to admit he was wrong, compares Corona with the flu saying if we take measures like this, we should do it every year for the flu to protect our elderlies.

He should stick to football.

We should do it every year.

So do I.

Again, hope you are right, if you're not we really are ****ed. All very worrying especially when there's articles out there suggesting you don't necessarily get immunity after catching it.

Watching the news last night a lot of people still not getting it. Hordes of people descending on parks and outdoor tourist attractions...helmets.

Still seeing large numbers of OAPs wondering around Winchester, last Friday, on my way home from work.

It will be interesting to see if parents keep their kids inside now the schools have closed down and the weather is nice.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk