Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

I had assumed the 20% was the shortfall the employee took for not working? So your staff will receive full pay?
That was my original thought but my understanding is that everyone gets full pay and 80% of it is subsidised. That's what my accountant said anyway. Happy to be told otherwise thoigh. Very difficult to know the truth in all this. Its really hard, I haven't ever had to make decisions loke this before.

I had assumed the 20% was the shortfall the employee took for not working? So your staff will receive full pay?

That was my original thought but my understanding is that everyone gets full pay and 80% of it is subsidised. That's what my accountant said anyway. Happy to be told otherwise thoigh. Very difficult to know the truth in all this. Its really hard, I haven't ever had to make decisions loke this before.

When it was first announced I saw a mention that it was up to the employer to decide whether to continue paying the 20%.

When it was first announced I saw a mention that it was up to the employer to decide whether to continue paying the 20%.
Well I've got no idea. We have enough cash with no business rates and with less electricity, gas etc to pay everyone for the next three months but not sure after that. Let's hope we can have some semblence of normality from June for at least a little while.

Managed to speak to someone this morning. I've been told by HMRC that all tax liability is automatically deferred from 20th March until 20th June. Not sure if that includes NI for staff on furlough though. Still have to pay NEST pension contributions apparently.

Thanks, every snippet helps. One problem I have is that the person who handles the PAYE is one who would be furloughed. That is normally done as RTI through Sage Payroll so I assume there will be an update for that.

Managed to speak to someone this morning. I've been told by HMRC that all tax liability is automatically deferred from 20th March until 20th June. Not sure if that includes NI for staff on furlough though. Still have to pay NEST pension contributions apparently.

I have been given some info which says employers NI and Auto pension form part of the £2500 limit. I will be paying my staff 80% of their calculated payment. My staff are supply teachers so don’t have employment contracts and some kind of average earnings will be used, don’t know what yet.

Hmrc are making some kind of portal for administering this and creating a way to pay employees.

The other 20% has some moral question with paying or not, we could not afford to pay that and it is in our employees best interest for us to survive this and restart. If they’re not working we have no income!! Our guys will be happy to receive the 80%, it’s enough to tide them over until we get through this.

Best of luck to everyone with a business at the moment, really tough times.

To those criticising business owners as tax dodgers; my personal tax is very low but our business payed HMRC over £150k in tax last year through NI, PAYE, VAT and corporation tax. Lot more than I would in my old job and I earn less now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, every snippet helps. One problem I have is that the person who handles the PAYE is one who would be furloughed. That is normally done as RTI through Sage Payroll so I assume there will be an update for that.
That's a tough one. Our head admin person is one of the few we haven't put on furlough for that reason. Does someone else know how to do it? You could maybe do it unofficially. I think it's a bit dodgy with furlough but my hope is that there is a recognition of this emergency situation.

I'm just glad my wife is a teacher and will continue to get paid normally and that her job is safe when this all over. My work have told me not to come in for the foreseeable but I have no idea what will happen with my pay (not to mention the inevitable rumblings from management about redundancies). Thank goodness we have some reasonable savings put buy to help navigate all this. I could well see the family finances being worse off after all this. I imagine my ST will be one of the first causalities of the new reality.

For those that are interested:

Re job retention scheme, got the below link from my accountant yesterday. Seems the best explanation I have found so far..

https://www.icaew.com/insights/viewpoints-on-the-news/2020/mar-2020/coronavirus-job-retention-scheme-furlough-guidance

Thanks for this. I await the government’s offering.

I might have to put myself on furlough too although I only get a pittance.

Can you furlough yourself? I'm a company director and I wasn't sure.

Im getting mixed stories on this. My wife will be furloughed on tuesday at the end of the month. She works for a electrical company all their jobs have been cancelled until further notice so the owner has basically shut down the business until this ends. Some people are saying shes okay others aren't as hes just effectively asking her to take an extended break.

Can you furlough yourself? I'm a company director and I wasn't sure.

I don’t think you can but really, who knows. Should be something this afternoon for company directors, I hope!!

Quick question to anyone ITK....

Can a company refuse to furlough an employee if they deem it's easier just to lay them off?

My daughter was 'laid off' from her job in a bakery/cafe (due to the Corona Virus situation) a couple of weeks ago, just before the Job Retention Scheme was announced by the chancellor.

She's about to go back to the cafe owner to deduce what they intend doing as far as furloughng is concerned but I'm pre-empting what they might say in my question above.

Edited by trousers

Quick question to anyone ITK....

Can a company refuse to furlough an employee if they deem it's easier just to lay them off?

My daughter was 'laid off' from her job in a bakery/cafe (due to the Corona Virus situation) a couple of weeks ago, just before the Job Retention Scheme was announced by the chancellor.

She's about to go back to the cafe owner to deduce what they intend doing as far as furloughng is concerned but I'm pre-empting what they might say in my question above.

I think it's unlikely that she can be put back on the payroll.

I am looking at the Sage website now desperately seeking advice. This link gives some details:

https://www.sage.com/en-gb/blog/coronavirus-financial-support-business/#job-anchor-link

"Your workers need to be currently working in your business – and not have been laid off or made redundant – in order for you to access the scheme. If required, they can take on other jobs with other businesses; doing so won’t impact on this cover – but they can’t do any work for the employer who claims under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme."

There is a webinar if anybody is interested.

https://www.sage.com/en-gb/coronavirus/

I think it's unlikely that she can be put back on the payroll.

I am looking at the Sage website now desperately seeking advice. This link gives some details:

https://www.sage.com/en-gb/blog/coronavirus-financial-support-business/#job-anchor-link

"Your workers need to be currently working in your business – and not have been laid off or made redundant – in order for you to access the scheme. If required, they can take on other jobs with other businesses; doing so won’t impact on this cover – but they can’t do any work for the employer who claims under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme."

There is a webinar if anybody is interested.

https://www.sage.com/en-gb/coronavirus/

Cheers WG

Hmm... that was my fear.... seems a tad unfair for employees who had to be laid off before the scheme was announced who would otherwise have been furloughed had the scheme existed. That said, AFAIK, the cafe owner has only 'informally' laid off the employees so they may not have informed HMRC yet and therefore not techincally off the payroll yet. Who knows. Let's see how it pans out.

Cheers WG

Hmm... that was my fear.... seems a tad unfair for employees who had to be laid off before the scheme was announced who would otherwise have been furloughed had the scheme existed. That said, AFAIK, the cafe owner has only 'informally' laid off the employees so they may not have informed HMRC yet and therefore not techincally off the payroll yet. Who knows. Let's see how it pans out.

If it is not formal yet then I suspect she will have a chance.

These are difficult times for all of us.

Not sure they even knew when they announced it/know now but I was under the impression that they get 80% from Gov't then up to employer to top up or not. Taking a 20% hit seems a more than reasonable alternative to losing your job altogether.

They are already starting to say today that the numbers have probably been over estimated. Meanwhile, the economy is wrecked and will take years to recover
Numbers will be lower due to the actions taken. Would you have preferred we did very little and allowed it to claim thousands more, many of whose deaths could have been entirely prevented? What price a life?

Not sure they even knew when they announced it/know now but I was under the impression that they get 80% from Gov't then up to employer to top up or not. Taking a 20% hit seems a more than reasonable alternative to losing your job altogether.
We are paying everyone 100% for March as we got all our income a month in advance. We now have a month to decide what we are doing next month. Going to look at it and make the decision as we will have to go through everyone manually and make the changes.

We are paying everyone 100% for March as we got all our income a month in advance. We now have a month to decide what we are doing next month. Going to look at it and make the decision as we will have to go through everyone manually and make the changes.

Good luck with it all, seriously. I run a business with 1 employee (me) I'd hate to have to deal with all that on top of all the personal worry we're all suffering as well.

Good luck with it all, seriously. I run a business with 1 employee (me) I'd hate to have to deal with all that on top of all the personal worry we're all suffering as well.
And we have people who still have to work. Asking people to risk their health and potentially their lives every day is weighing very heavily on me. I do have to say though that everyone has been so understanding and kind.

I have just been on a webinar with Sage that answered a lot of questions.

You pay the employees in the normal fashion and submit PAYE information. The government will reimburse 80% of the total employee costs including NI and auto-enrolment pension payments later, by the end of April is their intention.

"The 80% (£2500 ca) of wages to claim from the government is inclusive of ALL payroll costs. These would include Employers NIC and any Auto enrolment pension payments."

"The latest guidance we have on this is to process the payment you're making to your furloughed employees through payroll, whether that's 80% or 100%. You may wish to separate furloughed pay to any top-up pay (over and above 80% of the cost of their wages). This will make it easier to report on the information you'll need when the online portal is launched."

You still need to make VAT returns as normal but don't need to pay until the end of the tax year i.e. April 2021. This applies to VAT quarters that end between 20-Mar-2020 until the end of June. If you pay by Direct Debit then you should cancel this with your bank to prevent automatic payments. This is if you will have difficulties in paying.

Sage will produce a fact sheet later with FAQs. I shall look out for it and post a link when it is available.

Good luck everybody!

Reading that all leagues from the National League and down have been cancelled and all results expunged.

The same has happened in Women's football from Tier 3. A shame for Saints Women's Team as they were battering everyone that came their way and were set to win their league by a Liverpool-esque margin, hopefully they can roll on again next season.

Reading that all leagues from the National League and down have been cancelled and all results expunged.

The same has happened in Women's football from Tier 3. A shame for Saints Women's Team as they were battering everyone that came their way and were set to win their league by a Liverpool-esque margin, hopefully they can roll on again next season.

I should correct that to say both Womens teams from Southampton!

They are already starting to say today that the numbers have probably been over estimated. Meanwhile, the economy is wrecked and will take years to recover
Expert on Radio 2 this morning, I won't attempt to spell his name, but sounded very credible. Worth a listen https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000gn1w

Just listened to it. Yes, quite interesting but didn't say what your quote suggested. The contributors didn't make any judgement call about the earlier studies and neither of them said "the numbers had been over-estimated".

And the main thrust of the conversation was that the measures being taken by the government is the thing that will reduce infection and deaths. Interesting you didn't take that from the section, just wanting to make some shi tty points about wrecking the economy which wasn't discussed.

So I think the "they" are the voices in your head mate.

Edited by CB Fry

Even now when things are really being pushed to the limit we have those usual idiots trying to score points.

We have never had a fight of this type before and are learning as we go how to react to the dangers.

We should all be working together as one to fight against this pandemic virus.

I am not happy being stuck indoors when in desperate need for a hip transplant which will be put on hold for years the way things are going and sometimes the pain is unbearable but I will do whatever to stay alive. At 73 with a 16yo son and 14yo daughter maybe I have a special reason to fight.

All I hear are people saying the government is reacting too slowly, and not putting enough money aside for this battle. All I know is that our country has done more than most and we will all have to tighten our belts once this is finally put to bed.

And here, for absolute clarity, is Prof Neil Ferguson telling everyone that their latest work is showing the disease is slightly more transmissable than previously thought; that the revised death rate is in response to the measures taken by the government; and that they still consider that 500k is the potential scale of death in a "do nothing" scenario.

Edited by CB Fry

Even now when things are really being pushed to the limit we have those usual idiots trying to score points.

We have never had a fight of this type before and are learning as we go how to react to the dangers.

We should all be working together as one to fight against this pandemic virus.

I am not happy being stuck indoors when in desperate need for a hip transplant which will be put on hold for years the way things are going and sometimes the pain is unbearable but I will do whatever to stay alive. At 73 with a 16yo son and 14yo daughter maybe I have a special reason to fight.

All I hear are people saying the government is reacting too slowly, and not putting enough money aside for this battle. All I know is that our country has done more than most and we will all have to tighten our belts once this is finally put to bed.

You had a kid when you were 59?

Really? Last night he said this...

neil_ferguson

@neil_ferguson

·

10h

4/4 - Without those controls, our assessment remains that the UK would see the scale of deaths reported in our study (namely, up to approximately 500 thousand).

I was replying to your question about who davefoggy meant by "they". Asked and answered. I guess you missed my earlier post:

"No one is saying the numbers have been overestimated. One potentially credible person has said that our current measures may keep deaths lower than 20,000. That's not the same thing."

Edited by hypochondriac