Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

Clearly no easy answers to this issue. Not sure if it's been flagged before, but might another idea be to cancel the rest of the current season, but to allow every team to carry forward their points tally and goal difference to the start of next season (whenever that can start). I'm starting to think it might be the fairest solution in a bad situation. What do others think ?

No I think if they can’t complete the season just cancel it and start a fresh season when they can. Until everyone has played each other home and away league positions don’t mean a lot.

Having said that I think it would be fair to award the title to Liverpool. As much as I hate them they have effectively won the thing, the fair thing to do would be have the other clubs admit that.

I think they’ll do everything possible to complete the season, even if it is Oct/Nov. They could even temporarily adjust the subsequent seasons with the Qatar World Cup being at the end of the 21/22 season instead of the middle of the 22/23 season. They could then gradually bring the seasons back in line over 3 or 4 years. They may not even want to, personally I wouldn’t be against trying summer football for the top level. Going to games in June/July is far more appealing than Jan/Feb to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think they’ll do everything possible to complete the season, even if it is Oct/Nov. They could even temporarily adjust the subsequent seasons with the Qatar World Cup being at the end of the 21/22 season instead of the middle of the 22/23 season. They could then gradually bring the seasons back in line over 3 or 4 years. They may not even want to, personally I wouldn’t be against trying summer football for the top level. Going to games in June/July is far more appealing than Jan/Feb to me.

There is no way that the Qatar World Cup will be held at the end of a season. It would be far too hot

That is why it is being played in November / December.

There is no way that the Qatar World Cup will be held at the end of a season. It would be far too hot

That is why it is being played in November / December.

You’ve misunderstood. The World Cup remains in place, but that time will be the end of season as opposed to the middle.

2019/20 season ends Nov ‘20

2020/21 season Feb ‘21-Oct ‘21

21/22 season Feb ‘22- Oct ‘22 followed by World Cup.

You’ve misunderstood. The World Cup remains in place, but that time will be the end of season as opposed to the middle.

I see what you mean. That would make sense.

Where do the euros fit in?

Now is the time to look at pay in sports versus those professions the human race depends upon. It is only now that people recognise where real values lie.

That's just a vague, empty statement which looks nice on the face of it but isn't actually a solution to anything.

What are you specifically proposing we change?

That's the whole point you penis. This country does NOT have the cash to continue this spending long term, it is a "war time spending" pattern which we, as a country, will take a while to recover from. Long term we'd be bankrupt. It is not rocket science.

How did we recover after World War Two?

Debt to USA after WW2 was £21 Billion , lots of moaning by UK because of the £/$ exchange rate ! It was paid off in 2006 during T Blair's reign . It was lent at 2% per annum but had some sort of conversion rate attached which was bad for the UK. (I don't quite understand this bit ) The WW1 war bonds were finally paid off during George Osbournes time in the Treasury.

Debt to USA after WW2 was £21 Billion , lots of moaning by UK because of the £/$ exchange rate ! It was paid off in 2006 during T Blair's reign . It was lent at 2% per annum but had some sort of conversion rate attached which was bad for the UK. (I don't quite understand this bit ) The WW1 war bonds were finally paid off during George Osbournes time in the Treasury.

Basically the US screwed us over the money, atomic bomb and the aviation advantage we had. They played it well.

Yet somehow we managed to scrape together enough cash to set up the NHS!

Edited by Jonnyboy

I would play them as a straight knock out midweek tournament, like the European cup used to be. At the end of the day, something has to give. Personally, I’d rather it was internationals than domestic games.

Not a bad idea that although with champions league etc and domestic cups it'd be difficult but could be made to work.

I'm with you on favouring domestic football over internationals - if something has to give its internationals for me.

Juventus players taking a four month pay freeze. Good for them and the least they could all, in the top flight leagues, do. For some reason I can't see that happening over here. I really hope I'm wrong. In the long run it's in their own interests surely?

Juventus players taking a four month pay freeze. Good for them and the least they could all, in the top flight leagues, do. For some reason I can't see that happening over here. I really hope I'm wrong. In the long run it's in their own interests surely?

That's good to see, the vast earnings most have already banked makes it a bit more bearable for them but hope that sets a precedence.

Even if players agreed to a substantial pay cut for the period that would be something. They may not be playing matches but they'll be expected to train and keep match fit-ish ready to go as soon as competition resumes.

I suppose (& believe me I'm playing devils advocate here) A footballers career is a little bit unusual. If you are a low to middling player , and your contract is due to run out in 12 months..& more crucially you don't know what the football landscape is going to look like after this has ended (I think we can be certain there will be less money to throw about at average players) you could sort off understand why that sort of player may not want to take a pay freeze. (Again i stress I am playing devils advocate), but it may not always be as simple as saying, 'yeah footballers make ****loads of cash, they can afford it' everyones situation is different

I suppose (& believe me I'm playing devils advocate here) A footballers career is a little bit unusual. If you are a low to middling player , and your contract is due to run out in 12 months..& more crucially you don't know what the football landscape is going to look like after this has ended (I think we can be certain there will be less money to throw about at average players) you could sort off understand why that sort of player may not want to take a pay freeze. (Again i stress I am playing devils advocate), but it may not always be as simple as saying, 'yeah footballers make ****loads of cash, they can afford it' everyones situation is different

Even low to middling PL players earn about 1.5m a year. They're as well remunerated as the MDs and CEOs of medium-sized businesses. They'll be fine.

They’ll definitely try their best to finish this season off.

If we void the season now, means the PL lose out on £800m/owe it back to Sky+BT and overseas.

You gotta remember clubs like Villa have already spent money expecting to receive that money, etc etc etc.

I think the leagues take precedence, so fully expect behind closed doors fixtures as soon as testing becomes more widely available.

If we void the season now, means the PL lose out on £800m/owe it back to Sky+BT and overseas.

You gotta remember clubs like Villa have already spent money expecting to receive that money, etc etc etc.

I think the leagues take precedence, so fully expect behind closed doors fixtures as soon as testing becomes more widely available.

On the other hand if they void the season, teams like AVilla will be guaranteed another season the top flight....

I have but more because I think it would provide a good distraction.

Agree, it’s more just missing normality. Not just football, cricket (can’t see the cricket season going ahead) or even my weekly round of golf.

Why would the fa have to pay back sky and co when they have shown games all season, it's only the last 9 games not shown, but those dates have pasts any way and don't look to be Completed any time soon. Just like football it's self, sky will have to take the lack of games this season on the chin. Pause the league to long clubs go bankrupt. Just void it, split the winnings equally to allow clubs to stay afloat and start next season as soon as possible. Can't pause this season indefinitely to please Liverpool. If this season resumes. I'll have no excitement for it, it's over for me... Weeks of no football at all then resume a dead league table..... Its not right... Players not training properly, no tactical training. Lack of match fitness.. It'll be rubbish.. Be like pre season games.... No thanks. Void it. Start a new 1

Why would the fa have to pay back sky and co when they have shown games all season, it's only the last 9 games not shown, but those dates have pasts any way and don't look to be Completed any time soon. Just like football it's self, sky will have to take the lack of games this season on the chin. Pause the league to long clubs go bankrupt. Just void it, split the winnings equally to allow clubs to stay afloat and start next season as soon as possible. Can't pause this season indefinitely to please Liverpool. If this season resumes. I'll have no excitement for it, it's over for me... Weeks of no football at all then resume a dead league table..... Its not right... Players not training properly, no tactical training. Lack of match fitness.. It'll be rubbish.. Be like pre season games.... No thanks. Void it. Start a new 1
The Times today quoted Pulis as saying that the players will need three weeks of training on grass before they can play again.

Why should anybody have to accommodate Liverpool? Let me put it like this. If the there were four teams all within a couple of points at the top would anybody care about Liverpool?

"Only the last nine games" is a quarter of the entire season, loads of content and at the business end of the season. Granted the title race isn't much but still plenty to watch.

Loads of advertising revenue down the pan and loads of lost/paused subscribtions/NOW TV buy-ups etc. Plus sky are likely paying presenters, pundits, cameramen etc for doing nothing, either through obligation or goodwill.

Of course there is a huge loss to be discussed. Not sure Sky have to be the ones "to take it on the chin" - why not the clubs, why not the Premier League taking it on the chin.

There's a lot to be debated when the dust settles but it's nowhere near as straightforward as you are making out.

I would do that, yes. But I'm one who believes we should have every season like that. It would help for international tournaments too where June would be mid-season, rather than after a long domestic season. Better for fans too to watch in shorts rather than woollies and raincoats. If we can get the players to take their holidays Nov to Jan, then it's a win all round.

How would you then get back to August to May seasons? There is a very big gap between December 2022 World Cup and August 2023.

And I presume you’d be saying exactly the same thing if it was our promotion winning season under Nigel Adkins, or if we were 25 points ahead of 5th and pretty much guaranteed champions league football next season. Nobody is pausing the season to please Liverpool , in fact Klopp & Liverpool have shown a lot of class at this moment in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they attempt to restart EPL season behind closed doors, and it seems to be only the EPL being discussed, it will be just pure greed on behalf of the EPL. With the subscribers to Sky, BT etc footing the bill.....

I wonder how many people have cancelled their subscriptions to sport channels on satellite tv....?

"Only the last nine games" is a quarter of the entire season, loads of content and at the business end of the season. Granted the title race isn't much but still plenty to watch.

Loads of advertising revenue down the pan and loads of lost/paused subscribtions/NOW TV buy-ups etc. Plus sky are likely paying presenters, pundits, cameramen etc for doing nothing, either through obligation or goodwill.

Of course there is a huge loss to be discussed. Not sure Sky have to be the ones "to take it on the chin" - why not the clubs, why not the Premier League taking it on the chin.

There's a lot to be debated when the dust settles but it's nowhere near as straightforward as you are making out.

Because the competition is gone, the season has been interrupted, games that should have been played not played, players who was injured, or fatigued is gone, match sharpness is gone, fitness is gone. The season has ended. None give a wink about sky, who cares, you think they want a hole season stopped for 9 games? Yeah ofc... If the season restarts, it will be behind closed doors with every game aired live any way for FREE as they have already said it will be. This seasons contractual obligations for every one for this season, players staff, police, NHS staff, every one is under Co tract, might have things planned, some players are already refusing to finish the season, some are also refusing to have wages halved, players are also refusing to Co tinge this season beyond the end date of the season on their contracts that define payments of HUGE bonuses. It won't work just to make happy a few teams and broadcasting company's. It will be a farce l. Not to mention the many clubs out side the top divisions already going into administration because payments on league games and ofc the waiting for next seasons money and end of season reward money... We won't have any leagues left. Now the game is gone... Least Liverpool and sky are happy...........

Because the competition is gone, the season has been interrupted, games that should have been played not played, players who was injured, or fatigued is gone, match sharpness is gone, fitness is gone. The season has ended. None give a wink about sky, who cares, you think they want a hole season stopped for 9 games? Yeah ofc... If the season restarts, it will be behind closed doors with every game aired live any way for FREE as they have already said it will be. This seasons contractual obligations for every one for this season, players staff, police, NHS staff, every one is under Co tract, might have things planned, some players are already refusing to finish the season, some are also refusing to have wages halved, players are also refusing to Co tinge this season beyond the end date of the season on their contracts that define payments of HUGE bonuses. It won't work just to make happy a few teams and broadcasting company's. It will be a farce l. Not to mention the many clubs out side the top divisions already going into administration because payments on league games and ofc the waiting for next seasons money and end of season reward money... We won't have any leagues left. Now the game is gone... Least Liverpool and sky are happy...........
There's a lot of sentences there but god knows what you're on about.

But I think what I took from it is you don't like Sky or Liverpool so you just support any decision that pi sses them off the most because no one cares about them or something.

If they attempt to restart EPL season behind closed doors, and it seems to be only the EPL being discussed, it will be just pure greed on behalf of the EPL. With the subscribers to Sky, BT etc footing the bill.....

I wonder how many people have cancelled their subscriptions to sport channels on satellite tv....?

I don't understand why putting the matches on behind closed doors would be "just pure greed"?

Don't people want to watch football on TV any more because this seems quite a big change in the UK from about three weeks ago when it was quite a popular thing.

Why do we need to? I'd take Feb - Oct seasons over the current format given choice.
I wouldn't. For me football is winter game part of the British football experience is watching a game while freezing your balls off in a downpour. Plus my seat in the Itchen North is murder on a sunny day can't see a ****ing thing with the sun in your eyes.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Not really feasible unless the other major European leagues did the same and you'd then have an issue with heat, not only in the British summer but even more so for some other major European leagues.

Meh, just have more evening kick offs in June and July. If we can play major tournaments in European summers, we can do it for domestic games too.

Beer gardens in the sun, head to the ground for a 4pm kick off... lovely, I'll have some of that.

Meh, just have more evening kick offs in June and July. If we can play major tournaments in European summers, we can do it for domestic games too.

Beer gardens in the sun, head to the ground for a 4pm kick off... lovely, I'll have some of that.

Meh, sounds like a sh it idea and won't happen.

Not a clue. Anyone?

There's a lot of sentences there but god knows what you're on about.

But I think what I took from it is you don't like Sky or Liverpool so you just support any decision that pi sses them off the most because no one cares about them or something.

It is well reported only clubs looking to get millions from winning titles and gaining promotion that want the season to be paused, while every other club wants it voided. Champions league teams also want it paused...

So let me ask you.. Are we pausing for the goodness of football or to protect the money flow of the elite teams?

If you think it's for the club's who have nothing to gain but a starvation of funds. Then OK. I have a hatred for liverpool and sky...

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/26/all-english-football-below-national-league-level-to-be-voided

OK for some yeah?...

So let me ask you.. Are we pausing for the goodness of football or to protect the money flow of the elite teams?

It is being paused because that’s the fairest thing to do at the present time. Whether that remains sustainable as weeks become months is another thing.

It is well reported only clubs looking to get millions from winning titles and gaining promotion that want the season to be paused, while every other club wants it voided. Champions league teams also want it paused...

If you think it's for the club's who have nothing to gain but a starvation of funds. Then OK. I have a hatred for liverpool and sky...

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/26/all-english-football-below-national-league-level-to-be-voided

OK for some yeah?...

Honestly don't know what you are on about.

We're pausing the season because there is a pandemic happening right now, not "because it protects the money flow of the elite teams" (what??)

Can you tell me the names of "every other club" who want the season voided? Because apart from Karren Brady I haven't heard from many individual clubs. I don't think Saints have said that. Semmens said the opposite about 10 days ago.

You then link to an article about the upset caused by voiding all the non league seasons which until that point I thought was what you wanted.

You might want to try, slowly, to explain what your position is on this. In English.