Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

It is being paused because that’s the fairest thing to do at the present time. Whether that remains sustainable as weeks become months is another thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So then it's fair that some leagues are paused, and others are voided.. Right OK thank you. I was thinking that treating all the same was fair..........................

Honestly don't know what you are on about.

We're pausing the season because there is a pandemic happening right now, not "because it protects the money flow of the elite teams" (what??)

Can you tell me the names of "every other club" who want the season voided? Because apart from Karren Brady I haven't heard from many individual clubs. I don't think Saints have said that. Semmens said the opposite about 10 days ago.

You then link to an article about the upset caused by voiding all the non league seasons which until that point I thought was what you wanted.

You might want to try, slowly, to explain what your position is on this. In English.

Because the ones we are paysingfor will get promotion rewards that come with it and titles and rewards for winning titles..

If it's voided, every thing is split equally?.... And points voided... And results voided and no promotions or winners on a sport that is highly influenced by Injuries, tiredness and fatigue. Some players can jump right in, others need a run of games. Some teams had injurys which have now recovered. Unfair is allowing it to continue when so much from the last game has been changed.

Because the ones we are paysingfor will get promotion rewards that come with it and titles and rewards for winning titles..

If it's voided, every thing is split equally?.... And points voided... And results voided and no promotions or winners on a sport that is highly influenced by Injuries, tiredness and fatigue. Some players can jump right in, others need a run of games. Some teams had injurys which have now recovered. Unfair is allowing it to continue when so much from the last game has been changed.

So you are saying you want all football seasons to be null and void now. Yes?

But earlier you were saying that the remaining season "was only nine games" so we can take the season as it is now and award all the promotions and relegations now because theres only nine games and that's nothing, right?

School holidays, summer holidays and what the flipping heck are you going to between October and February? Football is a winter sport.

Summer holidays are no different to winter holidays. Plenty of people go away over Christmas, NY and January.

Football isn’t a winter sport, it’s just a sport which happens to be played in winter for some reason. It’s an outdoor sport, played on grass pitches. Why we need to call it a day just when when the weather starts getting nice, I don’t get.

The best outcome, purely from a footballing point of view, is for the season to finish before contracts run out. For obvious reasons that's extremely unlikely to happen.

Personally I think the season will eventually end up voided due to the issue of contracts ending at the end of June preventing the season from ending fairly.

It's possible they'll decide that finishing the season later is preferable to voiding it, whenever that happens to be, but imagine one of the teams in the relegation mix goes out and buys a load of players and escapes.

If you prevent any players signing until the season finishes, you still can't force players to carry on that are out of contract, or finishing loans, which also distorts the finish.

Purely from a competition point of view, the only option I can see to finish fairly is to cancel it, otherwise you have to change the rules and/or players that teams started the season with outside of what was agreed at the start.

As far as I can see, it's only the money in the game posing an existential threat to leagues and clubs, that's pushing people towards wanting to compromise on the sporting integrity. To be able to finish the season and apply qualification and promotion/relegation etc.

All of this is completely separate from next season, which we can go into with full knowledge of the existence of COVID-19 and adjust the rules to be able to cope with possible delays etc.

Obviously Liverpool are the biggest losers in that scenario, and it's difficult to think of a team that would have been treated more harshly than them missing out like this, but literally every aspect of our life has been knocked sideways by a global pandemic, and there's no way to keep everyone happy with the outcome here.

Obviously it's not time to say that the season should be voided now, as long as there's still a small possibility the season can be ended fairly, but as time carries on I think it'll become more and more likely.

Starting to look more unlikely the Scottish League will finish, for what it's worth;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52092857

Summer holidays are no different to winter holidays. Plenty of people go away over Christmas, NY and January.

Football isn’t a winter sport, it’s just a sport which happens to be played in winter for some reason. It’s an outdoor sport, played on grass pitches. Why we need to call it a day just when when the weather starts getting nice, I don’t get.

It’s because there are plenty of other things to do over the summer and sod all in the winter

The best outcome, purely from a footballing point of view, is for the season to finish before contracts run out. For obvious reasons that's extremely unlikely to happen.

Personally I think the season will eventually end up voided due to the issue of contracts ending at the end of June preventing the season from ending fairly.

It's possible they'll decide that finishing the season later is preferable to voiding it, whenever that happens to be, but imagine one of the teams in the relegation mix goes out and buys a load of players and escapes.

If you prevent any players signing until the season finishes, you still can't force players to carry on that are out of contract, or finishing loans, which also distorts the finish.

Purely from a competition point of view, the only option I can see to finish fairly is to cancel it, otherwise you have to change the rules and/or players that teams started the season with outside of what was agreed at the start.

As far as I can see, it's only the money in the game posing an existential threat to leagues and clubs, that's pushing people towards wanting to compromise on the sporting integrity. To be able to finish the season and apply qualification and promotion/relegation etc.

All of this is completely separate from next season, which we can go into with full knowledge of the existence of COVID-19 and adjust the rules to be able to cope with possible delays etc.

Obviously Liverpool are the biggest losers in that scenario, and it's difficult to think of a team that would have been treated more harshly than them missing out like this, but literally every aspect of our life has been knocked sideways by a global pandemic, and there's no way to keep everyone happy with the outcome here.

Obviously it's not time to say that the season should be voided now, as long as there's still a small possibility the season can be ended fairly, but as time carries on I think it'll become more and more likely.

Starting to look more unlikely the Scottish League will finish, for what it's worth;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52092857

That’s a good point. The transfer window would be negated and lead to unfair teams.

Giving liverpool the title seems irrelevant. If it makes them happy do it, but it won't really be viewed as a proper title now and not what people remember about the season.

Rubbish. There’s not one person in the country that doesn’t think Liverpool will win the title. If the season is voided it’ll be remembered as the season a freak event robbed them of the title. Only sad sacks and Man Utd fans will deny that. Not that Liverpool will particularly care. I don’t get the hatred for them over this, they’ve acted pretty classy, Klopp in particular. You can bet your bottom dollar that when it comes to clubs putting their self interest above all else and acting without class Liverpool will be way behind the West Ham’s and Newcastle’s of the world by the time this is all over.

Rubbish. There’s not one person in the country that doesn’t think Liverpool will win the title. If the season is voided it’ll be remembered as the season a freak event robbed them of the title. Only sad sacks and Man Utd fans will deny that. Not that Liverpool will particularly care. I don’t get the hatred for them over this, they’ve acted pretty classy, Klopp in particular. You can bet your bottom dollar that when it comes to clubs putting their self interest above all else and acting without class Liverpool will be way behind the West Ham’s and Newcastle’s of the world by the time this is all over.

Let’s see how classy they act if/when it’s decided that games cannot go ahead due to security concerns and the league is voided.

Let’s see how classy they (the fans) act when they finally win the league behind closed doors and completely ignore lockdown for street celebrations etc.

They’ve acted ‘classy’ as currently, it’s looking likely that the season will be played out. Which from a security point of view is ridiculous.

19/20 season will always be remembered as the season that was postponed / void due to the Coronavirus. Whatever happens now Liverpool winning the league will just slip into irrelevance and the fact their fans won’t be there to see it is just fantastic. Probably better than the season being voided all together to be honest :lol:

Let’s see how classy they act if/when it’s decided that games cannot go ahead due to security concerns and the league is voided.

Let’s see how classy they (the fans) act when they finally win the league behind closed doors and completely ignore lockdown for street celebrations etc.

They’ve acted ‘classy’ as currently, it’s looking likely that the season will be played out. Which from a security point of view is ridiculous.

Probably act about as 'Classy' as we would act if we were denied the title. Obviously i'm entering a world of science fiction here.

"Only the last nine games" is a quarter of the entire season, loads of content and at the business end of the season. Granted the title race isn't much but still plenty to watch.

Loads of advertising revenue down the pan and loads of lost/paused subscribtions/NOW TV buy-ups etc. Plus sky are likely paying presenters, pundits, cameramen etc for doing nothing, either through obligation or goodwill.

Of course there is a huge loss to be discussed. Not sure Sky have to be the ones "to take it on the chin" - why not the clubs, why not the Premier League taking it on the chin.

There's a lot to be debated when the dust settles but it's nowhere near as straightforward as you are making out.

Personally I think they should both ‘take it on the chin’ and distribute to EFL to keep teams in league 1 / 2, who are really going to feel the brunt of this, going.

Probably act about as 'Classy' as we would act if we were denied the title. Obviously i'm entering a world of science fiction here.

I agree. Just pointing out it’s easy to ‘act classy’ when it’s looking like things are very much in your favour.

I agree. Just pointing out it’s easy to ‘act classy’ when it’s looking like things are very much in your favour.

I wouldn't necessarily say 'Everythings in their favour' I mean they've only dropped 4 points in 27 games. So they've pretty much earnt the right to feel pretty happy about themselves. And then a worldwide pandemic calls a halt to proceedings. No offence but i know some Saints fans that are still bleating on about that Watford goal that was punched into the net.

I think by June this whole virus thing should have calmed down enough to safely allow 22 men to kick a ball around a field for 90 mins. Especially if they have all been tested before hand.

If all the games are behind closed doors they can be scheduled at short notice for Tv and have live games seven days a week.

I think by June this whole virus thing should have calmed down enough to safely allow 22 men to kick a ball around a field for 90 mins. Especially if they have all been tested before hand.

If all the games are behind closed doors they can be scheduled at short notice for Tv and have live games seven days a week.

It's not the footballers that will be the problem, it'll be the response of the public that'll be the concern.

Can you really see Liverpool fans sitting at home and staying isolated when they win their first title for three decades?

In Italy they're literally taking ventilators away from older patients to save younger ones that are more likely to survive. It's a horrible, horrible situation, from people's absolute worst nightmares, made real, and the only reason it's happening is because it's the least horrible option. People are dying not because of the tragedy of not being able to overcome the virus, but because there's no treatment available because too many people are sick.

Here we might just about have done enough to avoid that. Maybe. And it'll all have been for nothing if we let up too soon and end up with a second peak that pushes us above capacity to treat it.

This goes so far beyond football... it's not something we can treat lightly in any way, shape or form.

It's not the footballers that will be the problem, it'll be the response of the public that'll be the concern.

Can you really see Liverpool fans sitting at home and staying isolated when they win their first title for three decades?

In Italy they're literally taking ventilators away from older patients to save younger ones that are more likely to survive. It's a horrible, horrible situation, from people's absolute worst nightmares, made real, and the only reason it's happening is because it's the least horrible option. People are dying not because of the tragedy of not being able to overcome the virus, but because there's no treatment available because too many people are sick.

Here we might just about have done enough to avoid that. Maybe. And it'll all have been for nothing if we let up too soon and end up with a second peak that pushes us above capacity to treat it.

This goes so far beyond football... it's not something we can treat lightly in any way, shape or form.

I think it will be alright, we are already seeing a decline in deaths per day and June is over two months away.

Staying at home self isolating will be a lot more bearable with copious amounts of live footie on the TV - should help reduce the amount of idiots ignoring the lock down.

And the press will love it and laud all those amazing fans of this special club who RISKED DEATH so they could share this great moment in football history

And the press will love it and laud all those amazing fans of this special club who RISKED DEATH so they could share this great moment in football history

To be fair, the messaging from the press has been consistent on how important the measures put in place are.

Exactly. I'd be amazed if this doesn't happen. And they'll be testing kits around soon enough even for training to restart in and around late May.

They will play some football and the nation will be pleased.

But their response on having that taken away from them will be collective, disinterested shrug? After twelve weeks of enforced lockdown? Are you sure?

But their response on having that taken away from them will be collective, disinterested shrug? After twelve weeks of enforced lockdown? Are you sure?

You don't have to actually officially void the league to avoid restarting it too soon.

Whichever actions prevent crowds forming are the correct ones at the moment, and will continue to be for the foreseeable.

You don't have to actually officially void the league to avoid restarting it too soon.

Whichever actions prevent crowds forming are the correct ones at the moment, and will continue to be for the foreseeable.

I thought we were talking about restarting it in June, 2-3 months away, and behind closed doors.

If all concerned agree that would be safe and sensible, would you support that action? Because I bet West Quay is open by then.

I thought we were talking about restarting it in June, 2-3 months away, and behind closed doors.

If all concerned agree that would be safe and sensible, would you support that action? Because I bet West Quay is open by then.

I don’t like the idea of any games being played behind closed doors. For me it just further cements that clubs don’t really care about fans and only really care about ££ (it would be the first step to PL games being played in the middle

East and USA).

Although, arguably, it also demonstrates that the clubs don’t need revenue from fans and should therefore lower the cost of a match day ticket.

If it's safe, sure, but that's very unlikely.

Government estimates (assuming a fair few unknowns) put us at about three to six months before we might be back to normal, which would be the end of June at the earliest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52084517

I guess football could be one of the earlier things to come back, but like I said, preventing crowds forming is going to be paramount for a long time.

I don’t like the idea of any games being played behind closed doors. For me it just further cements that clubs don’t really care about fans and only really care about ££ (it would be the first step to PL games being played in the middle

East and USA).

Although, arguably, it also demonstrates that the clubs don’t need revenue from fans and should therefore lower the cost of a match day ticket.

Clubs don’t care about the fans, I’m not sure why you’d think this. So long as they continue to hand over their money, that’s as far as their interest goes.

The idea of ‘not needed revenue’ is - TBH - ridiculous. The clubs owners will take any penny they can get. As long as matches continue to just about sell out, the prices will stay the same.

What are you on about, very much in their favour. They’d have won the ****ing league by now. I’d say things are very much going against them. It’s easy to be blasé about voiding it when your teams in mid table and will have a 9-0 wiped from the record. If we needed 2 points from 9 games to make the champions league, you’d be one of the first moaning.

Government estimates (assuming a fair few unknowns) put us at about three to six months before we might be back to normal, which would be the end of June at the earliest.

Football behind closed doors is not back to normal though is it. It doesn’t break the ban against large gatherings which was the stage before where we are now.

Coronavirus is never going to go away, eventually we are going to get to the point where we just carry on as usual and accept that some people will catch it and, like the flu, some people will die from it.

East and USA).

So they should show they care about fans by encouraging them to gather in a stadium to transmit a potentially deadly disease to each other?

Playing it in a controlled way will be a way to bring some normality back to the nation. The public ain't going into a football stadium for a long time.

East and USA).

I would prefer to have games in front of a crowd but being realistic that isn't going to happen for many months. If it is a choice between voiding the season or playing behind closed doors, I'll take behind closed doors and watch it online

Football behind closed doors is not back to normal though is it. It doesn’t break the ban against large gatherings which was the stage before where we are now.

Coronavirus is never going to go away, eventually we are going to get to the point where we just carry on as usual and accept that some people will catch it and, like the flu, some people will die from it.

There will ultimately be a vaccine which make coronavirus go away, unless anyone is stupid enough to refuse vaccines.

That goes back around to whether they think that Liverpool winning the league would cause the public to gather in Liverpool and how much strain the spike from that would put on the NHS.

Flu vacines exist... we still have flu.

Because there are >20 types of influenza virus every year, all slightly different and mutated. The flu vaccine covers the most "popular" 3-6 influenza viruses that the health professionals think we'll be subjected to that winter. The last 2 years I've had exactly the same vaccine as this hasn't changed, but the year before was different. I've got completely f**ked lungs and have the jab every year - as soon as a coronavirus vaccine becomes available I'll jump on it. In fact I'd like to volunteer to trial it but don't know how.

But anyway, that is why we still have 'flu', as there are so many strains of it. Also, bizarrely, many people opt not to get vaccinated and there are those that CAN'T be vaccinated as the vaccine is grown on egg cultures and people with egg allergies can't have it. Last autumn was the first time a different vaccine has been available to egg allergy sufferers.

That goes back around to whether they think that Liverpool winning the league would cause the public to gather in Liverpool and how much strain the spike from that would put on the NHS.

That’s obviously a concern but it’s a potential gathering at one game. Surely the positive benefits of having the national sport back on tv outweigh the negatives of a few idiot scousers spreading a bit. Depression, boredom, frustration are all real issues with this lockdown, if the government want everyone to stay home for months on end then daily live football on the box will go a long way to help.

I would prefer to have games in front of a crowd but being realistic that isn't going to happen for many months. If it is a choice between voiding the season or playing behind closed doors, I'll take behind closed doors and watch it online

Will never happen if social distancing is still in force which is more than likely for 6 months at least.

Hopefully wrong of course and we can all get underway in 2 months, but cant see it.

I'll take behind closed doors and watch it online

Will never happen if social distancing is still in force which is more than likely for 6 months at least.

Premier League plans have developed into clubs staying in quarantined World Cup-style training bases and playing all games in midlands June/July

- all 92 remaining games would be broadcast in "TV mega event"

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/coronavirus-premier-league-isolated-camps-remaining-fixtures-dates-suspension-latest-a9432961.html

Premier League plans have developed into clubs staying in quarantined World Cup-style training bases and playing all games in midlands June/July

- all 92 remaining games would be broadcast in "TV mega event"

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/coronavirus-premier-league-isolated-camps-remaining-fixtures-dates-suspension-latest-a9432961.html

Would only take one player or support staff to show symptoms and the whole thing would go down in flames. I suppose it very much depends what the situation is by then.

Because there are >20 types of influenza virus every year, all slightly different and mutated. The flu vaccine covers the most "popular" 3-6 influenza viruses that the health professionals think we'll be subjected to that winter. The last 2 years I've had exactly the same vaccine as this hasn't changed, but the year before was different. I've got completely f**ked lungs and have the jab every year - as soon as a coronavirus vaccine becomes available I'll jump on it. In fact I'd like to volunteer to trial it but don't know how.

But anyway, that is why we still have 'flu', as there are so many strains of it. Also, bizarrely, many people opt not to get vaccinated and there are those that CAN'T be vaccinated as the vaccine is grown on egg cultures and people with egg allergies can't have it. Last autumn was the first time a different vaccine has been available to egg allergy sufferers.

I wonder if vegans have been aware of this.

Non-League clubs getting upset about their seasons being cancelled and voided.

Sixty-six non-league clubs send open letter to FA over expunging season

Sixty-six non-league clubs have sent an open letter to the Football Association, calling for it to "urgently" reconsider the decision to expunge their seasons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52098137

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Non-League clubs getting upset about their seasons being cancelled and voided.

Sixty-six non-league clubs send open letter to FA over expunging season

Sixty-six non-league clubs have sent an open letter to the Football Association, calling for it to "urgently" reconsider the decision to expunge their seasons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52098137

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

66 clubs sounds like a lot, but I believe the FA's decision covers 91 leagues...assuming 20 teams per league, approx 3% have sent this letter.