Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

Mate , 100% they furloughed staff and have since unturned due to the backlash. Feel free to go back to your senior person for confirmation but my friend was actually told on that Friday.
I just find it strange that the club have insisted they have not furloughed anyone and the supposed furloughing hasn't been reported anywhere else, which is very odd as it would have been newsworthy.

The news item from Wednesday also supposedly suggests that it was the prospect of furloughing that persuaded players to defer wages, not that any decision was reversed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

To be honest, I don't really applaud our club players for this.

Should have been an immediate action at the very least and they are defering their wages, not taking a pay cut, right? If so, we were up shyt creek anyway, let alone the financial cost of this hitting the club.

To be honest, I don't really applaud our club players for this.

Should have been an immediate action at the very least and they are defering their wages, not taking a pay cut, right? If so, we were up shyt creek anyway, let alone the financial cost of this hitting the club.

Yep. A deferment is not a sacrifice. It's essentially a loan to the club at a time when even footballers would struggle to spend their wages anyway.

This may have been mentioned elsewhere but I have just logged onto my Virgin Media account and there is an option to pause payments for Sky Sports and BT Sports.

They do follow through with it as well. When I completed the form, I fully expected a long wait but fair enough it’s just been refunded on my latest bill.

It’s interesting because I did start feeling guilty about doing so. I regularly listened to Martin Lewis and he’s urging people that can (and he emphasised can) afford it, should maybe cut companies some slack as they’re struggling as much as we are. He was mentioning holidays and airlines, said people are entitled to refunds on booked flights & holidays, but could we accept alternatives to help the business. On the back of that I didn’t demand a refund for a flight to France, but rebooked to Canaries in Nov. Maybe going soft, because demanding a refund & then rebooking would have saved me £90.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see what footballers/PFA do if/when the season is voided. At the moment the clubs are still due to receive more tv money, so deferral is a logical step. Though you would have hoped for more than 10%, with income for the clubs drying up. If/when the season is voided, then it will be interesting to see the attitude of the players/PFA.

Yep. A deferment is not a sacrifice. It's essentially a loan to the club at a time when even footballers would struggle to spend their wages anyway.

Yes this isn't quite what we were lead to believe.not receiving only 10% if a large salary for only 3 months is hardly any sort of sacrifice is it?

I just find it strange that the club have insisted they have not furloughed anyone and the supposed furloughing hasn't been reported anywhere else, which is very odd as it would have been newsworthy.

The news item from Wednesday also supposedly suggests that it was the prospect of furloughing that persuaded players to defer wages, not that any decision was reversed.

Agreed, but would the players have known about a plan to potentially furlough some staff or more likely that they find out that staff had been furloughed and then went to the club With their plan?

They do follow through with it as well. When I completed the form, I fully expected a long wait but fair enough it’s just been refunded on my latest bill.

It’s interesting because I did start feeling guilty about doing so. I regularly listened to Martin Lewis and he’s urging people that can (and he emphasised can) afford it, should maybe cut companies some slack as they’re struggling as much as we are. He was mentioning holidays and airlines, said people are entitled to refunds on booked flights & holidays, but could we accept alternatives to help the business. On the back of that I didn’t demand a refund for a flight to France, but rebooked to Canaries in Nov. Maybe going soft, because demanding a refund & then rebooking would have saved me £90.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lewis has always been bit of a pr1ck trying to screw over companies . Cost councils a fortune a few years back with him advising everyone to challenge their council tax rating taking up scarce resources for some greedy ***ts wanting you safe a few bob.

Good to hear he seems to be more reasonable behaviour approaching this crisis.

It’s interesting because I did start feeling guilty about doing so. I regularly listened to Martin Lewis and he’s urging people that can (and he emphasised can) afford it, should maybe cut companies some slack as they’re struggling as much as we are.

I'd bought loads of tickets for gigs and festivals. A couple of the festivals have given automatic refunds and a few gigs have been rearranged but the rest I haven't asked for my money back on because I want the venues to still be around later in the year when we are allowed to go out again.

It was quite a battle to get a refund a year ago when our flight home was cancelled hours before it was due to depart ! The chances of getting one now must be pretty slim. I suspect this years flights , which are already booked , will be rebooked a few times before we actually get to fly .

Lewis has always been bit of a pr1ck trying to screw over companies . Cost councils a fortune a few years back with him advising everyone to challenge their council tax rating taking up scarce resources for some greedy ***ts wanting you safe a few bob.

Yeah, what a ****. Saving money because the council has your property in the wrong band and have been overcharging you.

And this idiot has been screwing banks too, making a big fuss about PPI and also screwing the companies making a buck out of peoples genuine PPI claims.

eer, what else, oh yeah, giving people detailed info to switch services like utilities and mortgages to get a better deal.

Yeah, martin lewis, what a *****

Nah, I'd say he's always been pretty reasonable. Bear in mind all the sh@tty insurance companies, telcos and the like who have been taking the p*** for years. Anyway, I've paid my council tax up front this year as their cash flow probably needs it a bit more this year and I shan't be going anywhere very soon. Will I even be buying a season ticket in the next few months?!

Yeah, what a ****. Saving money because the council has your property in the wrong band and have been overcharging you.

And this idiot has been screwing banks too, making a big fuss about PPI and also screwing the companies making a buck out of peoples genuine PPI claims.

eer, what else, oh yeah, giving people detailed info to switch services like utilities and mortgages to get a better deal.

Calm down sweetie. Hey you can deliberately run up huge debt declare yourself bankrupt. Like your idol Trump. Great financial win for you.

He’s a knobhead, I can see why you might like him.

PS most houses weren’t in the wrong band, he just loved using public services to follow up - hey you never know some cnt might save themselves £15 month.

Edited by whelk

Yes this isn't quite what we were lead to believe.not receiving only 10% if a large salary for only 3 months is hardly any sort of sacrifice is it?

Quite enlightening though that 10% deferral by players and management seemingly offsets the need to furlough all the other staff.

well this isn't good ...

Recovered coronavirus patients test positive again in blow to immunity hopes

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/recovered-coronavirus-patients-test-positive-again-in-blow-to-immunity-hopes/ar-BB12rSb0?ocid=spartandhp

Doesn't look like this thing is going away anytime soon it seems all talk of finishing football seasons is pointless. Football better start worrying about next season even starting.

I don't care who orchestrated this, but bloody well done Saints - you make me proud to be a Southampton boy, despite the Premier League being sh*t. Well done indeed.

I'm unsure there is anything to be proud of at all.

Zero wage cut, which will ultimately hurt the club hard / drive up matchday and season ticket prices. All which took nearly a month to achieve.

well this isn't good ...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/recovered-coronavirus-patients-test-positive-again-in-blow-to-immunity-hopes/ar-BB12rSb0?ocid=spartandhp

Doesn't look like this thing is going away anytime soon it seems all talk of finishing football seasons is pointless. Football better start worrying about next season even starting.

Very depressing if that is the case and of course you're 100% right, football is irrelevant, let alone "finishing" a season.

Very depressing if that is the case and of course you're 100% right, football is irrelevant, let alone "finishing" a season.
Not worth worrying about until its confirmed. Besides I haven't heard any reports thus far of someone dying after recovering and then testing positive again.

Calm down sweetie. Hey you can deliberately run up huge debt declare yourself bankrupt. Like your idol Trump. Great financial win for you.

He’s a knobhead, I can see why you might like him.

PS most houses weren’t in the wrong band, he just loved using public services to follow up - hey you never know some cnt might save themselves £15 month.

you've made yourself look stupid, just leave it at that.

My mum was diagnosed with it earlier this week and at 9pm today was taken to hospital and put straight on oxygen. Praying she doesn't get out on a ventilator as everything I read about that says that once you get to that stage it's 50/50...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Best wishes to you and your mum, Sevvy

My mum was diagnosed with it earlier this week and at 9pm today was taken to hospital and put straight on oxygen. Praying she doesn't get out on a ventilator as everything I read about that says that once you get to that stage it's 50/50...

That is terrible news, you must be going through hell. Stay strong. I am sure many on here will join me in praying for your Mum's full recovery.

The Club phoned me yesterday to check that we were Ok and offering any help they could during this crises. A wonderful gesture that we appreciate very much. That is the sort of community spirit that once marked this club out and it is good to know that it has not been completely forgotten in this cynical.moneyed age. Thank you SFC.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. She's responding well to the antibiotics, her breathing is up and down though. She's in good spirits but I'm quietly worried about her getting through the 10-15 day after symptoms period that I keep reading is the danger zone.

The Club phoned me yesterday to check that we were Ok and offering any help they could during this crises. A wonderful gesture that we appreciate very much. That is the sort of community spirit that once marked this club out and it is good to know that it has not been completely forgotten in this cynical.moneyed age. Thank you SFC.
That really is fantastic...is that something they're doing for all season ticket holders?

well this isn't good ...

There is still much that is unknown with this novel virus so could be a number of reasons. Some more worrying that others.

Research around the virus has increased exponentially so hopefully we’ll get to know which way is best to keep people safe and tackle the virus.

well this isn't good ...

Jesus Christ. If this is true (no reason to suspect it isn't) we are ****ed until a vaccine is discovered. Year to 18 months? A year to 18 months of living like this. Wonder if the economic stress tests indicate we're robust enough to withstand a year to 18 months. Possibly not I would venture.

Jesus Christ. If this is true (no reason to suspect it isn't) we are ****ed until a vaccine is discovered. Year to 18 months? A year to 18 months of living like this. Wonder if the economic stress tests indicate we're robust enough to withstand a year to 18 months. Possibly not I would venture.

If suppressing the disease doesn’t give you any immunity then why would a vaccine?

If suppressing the disease doesn’t give you any immunity then why would a vaccine?

I may have misinterpreted what a vaccine is Whitey, I'm no expert in this believe me, but I thought vaccine effectively = cure. Please don't make my day any worse by explaining that it doesn't and if it doesn't why it doesn't.

Won’t happen, even if people aren’t getting infected. There will come a point when we have to start lifting measures or the world’s economy will just collapse, vaccine or no vaccine.

I had a call last week. I admit that I thought it was a wind-up at first but soon realised in was genuine, I think that it is only the older season tickets that are getting a call but I agree that it is a thoughtful gesture from the club.

I was stunned when Hancock tried to shift the blame for lack of PPE onto nurses , doctors and care workers using them when they “didn’t “ need to . It didn’t appear on line in the reports of the briefing but the front line workers are making their voices heard today .

He is still trying to defend his comments today , of all the people to criticise they are the last to pick on .

Globalisation is showing the cracks now , if it’s all made somewhere else you are vulnerable, a bit like the ERG saying poor people will be able to afford food after brexit because UK can import cheap food from around the world that they could Buy , so goodbye British farmers.

I was stunned when Hancock tried to shift the blame for lack of PPE onto nurses , doctors and care workers using them when they “didn’t “ need to . It didn’t appear on line in the reports of the briefing but the front line workers are making their voices heard today .

He is still trying to defend his comments today , of all the people to criticise they are the last to pick on .

Globalisation is showing the cracks now , if it’s all made somewhere else you are vulnerable, a bit like the ERG saying poor people will be able to afford food after brexit because UK can import cheap food from around the world that they could Buy , so goodbye British farmers.

You are a very strange individual

The election is over, we have left the EU and sadly for you, Boris Johnson is on the mend.

I may have misinterpreted what a vaccine is Whitey, I'm no expert in this believe me, but I thought vaccine effectively = cure. Please don't make my day any worse by explaining that it doesn't and if it doesn't why it doesn't.

If you already have the disease then the vaccine won’t cure you although it may boost your immune response. The idea of a vaccine is that it stimulates your body into producing antibodies that will fight the virus if it ever invades you.

Mate , 100% they furloughed staff and have since unturned due to the backlash. Feel free to go back to your senior person for confirmation but my friend was actually told on that Friday.
Just to confirm. No staff were furloughed. It might have been a possibility if players hadn't deferred wages.

The real heroes are those working on the front line of the NHS, sadly some without appropriate PPE as promised. Nineteen dead so far. Really feel for the families that have lost loved ones, through caring for others.

There is no point going on about the ERG - no place for it on this thread, besides some posters will only pick up on that and criticise you rather than contribute something useful/interesting.

The real heroes are those working on the front line of the NHS, sadly some without appropriate PPE as promised. Nineteen dead so far. Really feel for the families that have lost loved ones, through caring for others.

There is no point going on about the ERG - no place for it on this thread, besides some posters will only pick up on that and criticise you rather than contribute something useful/interesting.

Point taken , it was the globalisation that means we don’t produce so many items in this country . In a crisis we have to start from a very low base , this is true around the world (apart from China) . In America it seems nearly everything is made in China .

I met him a few years ago at a Bournemouth road show he did - he is very quiet shy and nervous and not confident at all.

No arrogance or cockiness at all.

Ranvir Singh was with him as assistant and far prettier than on TV lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. She's responding well to the antibiotics, her breathing is up and down though. She's in good spirits but I'm quietly worried about her getting through the 10-15 day after symptoms period that I keep reading is the danger zone.

That really is fantastic...is that something they're doing for all season ticket holders?

I am certainly not a special case so hopefully 'yes' unless it is people of a certain age

If you already have the disease then the vaccine won’t cure you although it may boost your immune response. The idea of a vaccine is that it stimulates your body into producing antibodies that will fight the virus if it ever invades you.

There is also a huge amount of research into medicines that can reduce the severity of the symptoms or even cure patients who have contracted the virus. It is a two pronged effort.

Prevention is better than a cure (as they say) but there is no life long immunity with flu vaccines and many thousands die each year from that. A new flu vaccine is developed each year.