Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

There is only one fair, practical and sensible way. Void the season for all football leagues, both genders.

Any other system will have some teams losing out.

Start again when it’s safe.

Some things are far more important than football, promotions, titles etc etc.

League cup results still stand though as that was completed.

All true, and valid. And I don't really like the ideea. But it is not unheard of for sport to be decided by predictions based on previous performance.

Where are Dcukworth and Lewis when you need 'em eh?

Woild be pretty controversial to relegate Bournemouth and villa by a point or goal difference based on their current position. Villa could argue that the only reason they are in the relegation zone is because they had a game rearranged because they got to the league Cup final.

Is it true he simultaneously shouts Praise the Lord?

I expect if his missus ever does he will immediately cease the operation and give a lecture about where the orgasm come from, an invisible deity which does not exist or the immense sexual prowess of MLG.

Woild be pretty controversial to relegate Bournemouth and villa by a point or goal difference based on their current position. Villa could argue that the only reason they are in the relegation zone is because they had a game rearranged because they got to the league Cup final.

or they could have played the postponed game and lost thus making their gd worse

Edited by SFC Forever

There is only one fair, practical and sensible way. Void the season for all football leagues, both genders.

Agreed

Have to agree with this, though I do think every league in Europe need to agree to do the same thing.

I do not want to mess up next season and the season after for thge sake of playing 9 or 10 games.

Have to agree with this, though I do think every league in Europe need to agree to do the same thing.

I do not want to mess up next season and the season after for thge sake of playing 9 or 10 games.

I'm not even sure it's safe to assume next season won't be affected by the virus as well if I'm honest.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

All true, and valid. And I don't really like the ideea. But it is not unheard of for sport to be decided by predictions based on previous performance.

Where are Dcukworth and Lewis when you need 'em eh?

Not analogous at all. You start a match where D&L might apply knowing that D&L might apply.

So billionaire owner of football club, and his CEO who is paid £7m a year, pay on average £70k a week to playing staff. But in a time of national crisis, the billionaire owner and the multimillionaire CEO lay off their staff so that the tax payer can pay their wages.

Football has become one sick puppy.

Agree but it is a similar situation for other businesses up and down the country, they are all going to use the government’s offer even if they have rich owners and high paid people at the top. It’s not football itself that’s the sick puppy, it’s the whole system.

Hopefully we will tax the wealthiest through the nose afterwards to pay for it all.

Agree but it is a similar situation for other businesses up and down the country, they are all going to use the government’s offer even if they have rich owners and high paid people at the top. It’s not football itself that’s the sick puppy, it’s the whole system.

Hopefully we will tax the wealthiest through the nose afterwards to pay for it all.

Just remember that it’s not the rich that are receiving the money but the poor bloody workers.

Not analogous at all. You start a match where D&L might apply knowing that D&L might apply.

Fair point about awareness of D&L rule before embarking on a game. Agreed. But perhaps better than a toss of a coin, which is the traditonal football method!

Actually, maybe that's what we should have - one big toss off. Just a three hour special of Lineker/Chappers/Stelling introducing our favourite ex-pros from each club gurning eachother as Mike Riley tosses a coin. What fun.

OR we just finish the season on FIFA. Why the **** not? Apperently Redders and Bertie are ace on the D-pad, so...

Finances beginning to unravel in France with Canal refusing to pay the next TV rights instalment. Citing force majeur. Assume this will drive clubs to withhold payments to players.

Then the fun starts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Finances beginning to unravel in France with Canal refusing to pay the next TV rights instalment. Citing force majeur. Assume this will drive clubs to withhold payments to players.

Then the fun starts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

That’s why I can see the clubs making sure the season is completed behind close doors. If it doesn’t then there’s no money from Sky or BT, then it’s meltdown.

Don’t a lot of clubs have loans secured on future TV money?

That’s why I can see the clubs making sure the season is completed behind close doors. If it doesn’t then there’s no money from Sky or BT, then it’s meltdown.

Don’t a lot of clubs have loans secured on future TV money?

Yes and i think we are one of them

Because morally its shameful that there are players at clubs earning millions of pounds a year paid for by the public since football began whilst the the clubs wont pay £30k a year to back office staff and are asking the government to bail them out. The government is basically subsiding two of the world richest football clubs, that doesn't sit well with me.

Rare for me to agree almost entirely with Turkish, but absolutely this.

I get that other businesses will take advantage of the governments offer, and I get that in pure accounting terms it makes absolute sense for the clubs to do this - the staff aren't working and the government can pay so why not? Well, it's frankly immoral, that's why.

And there is another factor. After all this we can as consumers and customers choose to punish the w4nkers who tried to profiteer, be it sports direct for claimong they were an essential retailer or the corner shop who put up the prices of hand wash and toilet rolls. We can't when it comes to football clubs.

Of course, technically and legally we can, I don't have to support saints, but changing from saints to Pompey is a bit different than Waitrose to Asda or whatever.

Football is simply different, and the obscene sums of money in the premier league, especially in wages to players and board members and fees to agents makes this absolutely stick in the throat. There are people who have lost livelihoods and businesses, and obscenely wealthy football clubs are using tax payers money (perfectly legitimately) to cut costs while continuing to pay players a weekly amount higher than many annual salaries. Utterly sick and obscene.

Edited by Chewy
Typo

The use of the furlough scheme by PL clubs is shameful. There isn't one club that couldn’t confortably guarantee the jobs of non- playing salaried staff , with a little effort.

One thing we could do is make our feelings on this known to The Saints board, just in case they were tempted, which I’m pretty confident they wouldn’t be .

All over social media, the (football) wagons are circling after the point made by Hancock yesterday.

He was asked specifically about premier League footballer and have an honest answer, in line with an honest presser.

Ex players and football journos are livid!

All over social media, the (football) wagons are circling after the point made by Hancock yesterday.

He was asked specifically about premier League footballer and have an honest answer, in line with an honest presser.

Where would we be without Batman’s social media updates reflecting the nation’s mood?

Hancock will love the PL distraction from the scrutiny on why they haven’t been able to organise a meaningful testing programme.

Far easier for people to get wound up by football’s greed especially those who appear clueless in understanding the experts regarding testing but hey we can all give out to a simple bogeyman

Where would we be without Batman’s social media updates reflecting the nation’s mood?

Hancock will love the PL distraction from the scrutiny on why they haven’t been able to organise a meaningful testing programme.

Far easier for people to get wound up by football’s greed especially those who appear clueless in understanding the experts regarding testing but hey we can all give out to a simple bogeyman

Really? That was one throw-away comment in an hour+ extensive and detailed update in response to a specific media question.

I would be livid as well.

To single out football Is a cheap easy point. Nobody is hassling Paul McCartney or Elton John. Where are the calls for Steve Coogan, Hugh Grant or Liam Gallagher to take a pay cut, hell why aren’t politicians calling out their own millionaires like Philip Hammond, Jeremy Hunt & Nadhim Zahawi.

Football does loads for local communities and I bet players do more hospital visits than any other line of “celebrity “. Bournemouth are taking loads of stick regarding furloughed workers but I know for a fact they do absolutely loads of this sort of stuff. My friend lost his 18 year old and Bournemouth (Callum Wilson in particular) were absolutely fantastic to the lad when he was dying.

I’ve no doubt most footballers will be doing the right thing, quietly. They don’t need big mouth politicians and pundits lecturing them on how to behave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You didnt watch the presser, did you. That's fine.

To single out football Is a cheap easy point. Nobody is hassling Paul McCartney or Elton John. Where are the calls for Steve Coogan, Hugh Grant or Liam Gallagher to take a pay cut, hell why aren’t politicians calling out their own millionaires like Philip Hammond, Jeremy Hunt & Nadhim Zahawi.

Football does loads for local communities and I bet players do more hospital visits than any other line of “celebrity “. Bournemouth are taking loads of stick regarding furloughed workers but I know for a fact they do absolutely loads of this sort of stuff. My friend lost his 18 year old and Bournemouth (Callum Wilson in particular) were absolutely fantastic to the lad when he was dying.

I’ve no doubt most footballers will be doing the right thing, quietly. They don’t need big mouth politicians and pundits lecturing them on how to behave.

I think people would be banging on at Hugh Grant or Alan Partridge if he/they put the livelihood of their minimum wage entourage at the behest of you and me.....

Edited by Batman

none of that lot have furloughed all their low paid staff pal.

Pay cuts are required to keep clubs in business !

No football being played means no television income being paid or even wanting it back.

In The Times today:

TOP SCORERS

Players

Premier League best paid: Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City) and Mesut Özil (Arsenal) are on about £350,000 per week or £18.2m a year

Premier League average wage: About £65,000 a week or £3.4m a year

Championship average wage: About £15,000 a week or £780,000 a year

League One average wage: About £2,000 a week or £104,000 a year

Non-playing staff

Secretary at a Premier League club: About £35,000 a year

Media staff: About £32,000 a year

Junior coach for academy players aged about 18: About £50,000 a year

I don’t think all the pop stars and self made millionaires that you mentioned are on contracted salary’s. Nobody is obliged to pay any of t them a bean if they don’t perform....

Matt Hancock is shaping up very well, we are all in this together but it still amazes me to find a caring Tory MP who has empathy and compassion for real people and their problems. Maybe we will return to the one-nation style of conservatism that we thought might have disappeared for eve. By 'we' I mean those who are left when this storm has passed through.

Matt Hancock is shaping up very well, we are all in this together but it still amazes me to find a caring Tory MP who has empathy and compassion for real people and their problems. Maybe we will return to the one-nation style of conservatism that we thought might have disappeared for eve. By 'we' I mean those who are left when this storm has passed through.

"some nurses" might disagree with you...

Bang wrong!

Sir Jimmy Saville did way more hospital visits than footballers do.

So what's the end game here? The latest I hear is the government want to roll out testing, that shows if you've had the virus or not, and if you have then you get a "passport" to pick up your life and get back to normal. What happens to those that haven't had it? Do we just stay locked down until we either catch it (unlikely if we are stuck in our houses) or a vaccine becomes available?

From a footballing point of view if next season starts will teams only be allowed to field players who tests have shown have had the virus already?

So what's the end game here? The latest I hear is the government want to roll out testing, that shows if you've had the virus or not, and if you have then you get a "passport" to pick up your life and get back to normal. What happens to those that haven't had it? Do we just stay locked down until we either catch it (unlikely if we are stuck in our houses) or a vaccine becomes available?

From a footballing point of view if next season starts will teams only be allowed to field players who tests have shown have had the virus already?

What’s the alternative?

Nothing will be back to normal until enough people are immune or a vaccine becomes available. If I was a betting man, I’d back the first of those options.

A lot of people would then deliberately try and infect themselves in order to gain freedom. Imagine holiday companies offering dirty cheap holidays to try and stimulate a bit of business but you need a stamp before you’re allowed to go...

MH is the least worse spokesperson but is still electioneering. To any pertinent question over the last 10 years we have been told that there are a record number of X or £x have been spent etc when the reality was that the numbers were well short and the £ were less due to inflation.The Tories have just employed another right wing Communication expert from NZ to gloss over Boris and his false promises. 40 new hospitals when only 1 is proposed and mainly because the present hospital site would be redeveloped ! None of the other 39 were going to be built , just looked into , another lie.

I remember Thatcher at the Tory conference declaring 800 new hospital beds but omitting to mention they had closed 1100 hospital beds.

The Tories did nothing about Coronavirus until it was too late , lack of testing , tracking Ill people , repatriating UK residents abroad , failing to act after the 3 day simulation exercise in 2017 for a pandemic that showed the NHS couldn’t cope and not spending money on relevant PPE equipment ready for a pandemic. This has all come back to haunt Us now .

The government spokespeople are still trotting out meaningless figures and promising undeliverable testing regimes while people in the NHS are dying for lack of basic PPE . The WHO told them they needed visors , coveralls etc but your government down graded the standards to apron , gloves and paper mask !

Just watch coverage from the Far East , their doctors and nurses are totally enclosed with full biohazard equipment not any bare skin or part of their body exposed at all . Boris and his cohorts are a total joke And totally out of their depth , wait for Brexit to start at the end of this year to put the. final nail in our collective coffin. We need food grown at home but have no one to harvest it and this government put up a bill on farming that didn’t mention food production.

You couldn’t make it up and if you did you would be slagged off by the very same people ie Boris & co .