Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

Great attitude mate, if you don’t like it f8ck off basically. Great stuff.

Its not gonna change is it?

So you either put up with it and just accept that top football has become a business or you don’t and you go watch non league football or a less publicised sport

"And it’s not just what Johnson is saying that’s causing confusion, it’s the way he’s saying it. There’s a carefree lightness to his tone, the familiar bluster and bumble seemingly making it impossible for him to stress the seriousness of the crisis we all face. Less than three weeks ago, Johnson was enthusiastically telling the nation about his visit to a hospital. “I can tell you that I’m I’m I’m I’m I’m shaking hands continuously,” he said. “I was at a hospital the other night where I think there were actually a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody, you’ll be pleased to know and I continue to shake hands”. Johnson has never been a great orator, struggling to keep to script and relying on bluster and jokes to get by. This is no time for either."

This report about daily briefing on 23rd March. (via Google) and yes I hope he pulls through as well !

Edited by East Kent Saint

"And it’s not just what Johnson is saying that’s causing confusion, it’s the way he’s saying it. There’s a carefree lightness to his tone, the familiar bluster and bumble seemingly making it impossible for him to stress the seriousness of the crisis we all face. Less than three weeks ago, Johnson was enthusiastically telling the nation about his visit to a hospital. “I can tell you that I’m I’m I’m I’m I’m shaking hands continuously,” he said. “I was at a hospital the other night where I think there were actually a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody, you’ll be pleased to know and I continue to shake hands”. Johnson has never been a great orator, struggling to keep to script and relying on bluster and jokes to get by. This is no time for either."

This report about daily briefing on 23rd March. (via Google) and yes I hope he pulls through as well !

Fcking good of you pal

Don’t forget he has an unborn child, due in July.

Yes, he may be a joker and bluster his way. He surrounds himself as he did as Mayor of London with people who know what they are talking about, he was popular and depending on where you sat on the fence, got things done.

Clearly the Tory party members thought he was a winner, like him or not he is a human being.

By the way East Coast Ken, when BJ said “many will die” nobody liked his frankness. I would say buggered if you do and buggered if you don’t with some people.

Edited by Portugalsaint

You are so right Turkish, greed, greed, greed. Some of the so called top clubs showing their true colours. Would be so proud to support them, wouldn’t you?

To be fair to the Liverpool fans (i know it's hard) they were very vocally opposed to this decision, pretty much to a man. And we don't know for definite what our own club have done ref the furlough scheme so wouldn't be so quick to crow. I don't think linking pride of supporting your club to the greed of the owners is fair on the fans. We all seem to support an idea of a football club that is very far removed from the modern reality I'm afraid.

Lots of footballer/CEO comparisons being thrown about - interesting to note that the average PL squad member salary is roughly the same as the average FTSE 100 CEO compensation.

So in other words, Jack Stephens earns more or less the same amount per year as the CEO of Sainsburys, a company with almost 200,000 employees.

Lots of footballer/CEO comparisons being thrown about - interesting to note that the average PL squad member salary is roughly the same as the average FTSE 100 CEO compensation.

So in other words, Jack Stephens earns more or less the same amount per year as the CEO of Sainsburys, a company with almost 200,000 employees.

Without having to sell anything or manage a big business either.

Without having to sell anything or manage a big business either.

CEO of Sainsbury’s is easy. They are queuing up to get in and stuff is flying off the shelves.

Stephens has to decide regularly whether to put his hand in the air when jumping in the penalty area so a lot tougher job.

Well while I don't want Boris to die, I don't wish him an easy and speedy recovery, and Dominic Scummings a slower one. Maybe they will take this thing seriously after this?

What a weird, weird human you are.

Well while I don't want Boris to die, I don't wish him an easy and speedy recovery, and Dominic Scummings a slower one. Maybe they will take this thing seriously after this?

Utterly disgusting words. Hang your head in shame you sad individual and remove yourself from this forum

I’m an angry aggressive bastard but can not comprehend how people can’t wish whoever it is suffering to recover. FFS that he is privileged and has different political views is totally irrelevant when we are all pulling together to beat a common enemy.

Boris is probably a very scared fellow human at the moment and we can all surely sympathise.

Worth noting the people on here and on social media generally writing stuff like this. Once this is over I'll be careful to block and avoid all of them.

I definitely would wish full and speedy recoveries for Johnson , Cummings and anyone else currently suffering from the virus.....

But perhaps Johnson will now realise how foolish he was to proclaim that he was proud to shake patients's hands when he went into hospitals. Perhaps he will also admit that he was wrong to say that contrary to the advice at the time he was going to see his mum on mothers's day.

Whilst he has been light years better than his chum Donald, Johnson has not always seemed to treat this virus with the seriousness that it deserves. Is the Government / legislature of any other country affected by coronavirus to the same extent as the UK?

Boris's style is that of a joker. His mannerism does not mean that he was not taking this seriously. as for his hand shaking gaffe I agree that was definitely not his wisest moment

I definitely would wish full and speedy recoveries for Johnson , Cummings and anyone else currently suffering from the virus.....

But perhaps Johnson will now realise how foolish he was to proclaim that he was proud to shake patients's hands when he went into hospitals. Perhaps he will also admit that he was wrong to say that contrary to the advice at the time he was going to see his mum on mothers's day.

Whilst he has been light years better than his chum Donald, Johnson has not always seemed to treat this virus with the seriousness that it deserves. Is the Government / legislature of any other country affected by coronavirus to the same extent as the UK?

Trump seemed to only start to take it seriously once people personally known to him got sick. Thats the difference between shaping events and following them.

It's a bit mind boggling that when the PM is ill there is no deputy to take over that is in the loop 100% of the time .

Nice of Batman (of all people) to tell us there are odd people on here Ha Ha .

Not sure how many times it needs to be said on interviews today and in recent days.

Dominic Raab is leading the Govt now. He is the 1st Secretary of State

He is just a stand in , if Boris becomes incapable he does not take over automatically etc. No doubt constitutional law experts could enlighten us but without a written constitution no one can say absolutely.

By firing the Chancellor’s advisors Boris has concentrated power in No10 . All way above our pay grade , as they say.

Not sure how many times it needs to be said on interviews today and in recent days.

Dominic Raab is leading the Govt now. He is the 1st Secretary of State

It bugged the f**k out of me this morning. They asked the question - so who is leading at the moment? I thought Gove was pretty clear, Rabb is in charge...he is leading the cabinet.

But they still managed to throw in the most insane questions - ''So who has control over the nuclear button? we need clarity''. I mean, WTF is wrong with the media. It's plainly obvious to anyone with a brain - Rabb is deputizing for Boris, decisions are made as a group (Cabinet) and Rabb has the overall say. They've said that so many times.

It bugged the f**k out of me this morning. They asked the question - so who is leading at the moment? I thought Gove was pretty clear, Rabb is in charge...he is leading the cabinet.

But they still managed to throw in the most insane questions - ''So who has control over the nuclear button? we need clarity''. I mean, WTF is wrong with the media. It's plainly obvious to anyone with a brain - Rabb is deputizing for Boris, decisions are made as a group (Cabinet) and Rabb has the overall say. They've said that so many times.

From the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52193461

“Another difficult question would be the letters of last resort that the prime minister writes for the nuclear submarines, giving the commanding officers instructions about what to do in the event of a deadly attack on the PM.“

This must count as a ‘deadly attack on the PM’ so where do they aim the missiles?

From the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52193461

“Another difficult question would be the letters of last resort that the prime minister writes for the nuclear submarines, giving the commanding officers instructions about what to do in the event of a deadly attack on the PM.“

This must count as a ‘deadly attack on the PM’ so where do they aim the missiles?

Wuhan

But Rabb was still pretty vague when asked and was telling us it was collective cabinet responsibility and now they are saying Boris is still very much in charge of the government!!! Meanwhile back in the real world we are going stir crazy and resorting to football team forums for entertainment.

Boris's style is that of a joker. His mannerism does not mean that he was not taking this seriously. as for his hand shaking gaffe I agree that was definitely not his wisest moment

Staff at St Thomas' have reported Boris Johnson is looking bloated, sweaty, generally dishevelled and talking incoherently.

A Spokesperson said.. "It's encouraging to see him look like his old self again."

He is just a stand in , if Boris becomes incapable he does not take over automatically etc. No doubt constitutional law experts could enlighten us but without a written constitution no one can say absolutely.

By firing the Chancellor’s advisors Boris has concentrated power in No10 . All way above our pay grade , as they say.

We do have a written constitution, or at least a valid equivalent, it's just that it's written in centuries of precedent.

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't fancy compiling it all into a single document. Especially as any existing precedent that contradicted it would presumably take priority over it anyway.

If the precedent exists as to what should be done we'll follow it, and if it doesn't we'll do what we've always done and create the precedent that will be followed.

If precedent needs to be changed because it's not what the people want or times have changed we can change it for that reason too.

It's not a perfect system, but over time it tends to reflect the will of the people it applies to.

28th jan

Its just a relatively mild flu like virus. The people who died were elderly with other underlying conditions. Its going to be like SARS, a relatively brief panic over not very much

Trump seemed to only start to take it seriously once people personally known to him got sick. Thats the difference between shaping events and following them.

When did you start taking it seriously?

We do have a written constitution, or at least a valid equivalent, it's just that it's written in centuries of precedent.

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't fancy compiling it all into a single document. Especially as any existing precedent that contradicted it would presumably take priority over it anyway.

If the precedent exists as to what should be done we'll follow it, and if it doesn't we'll do what we've always done and create the precedent that will be followed.

If precedent needs to be changed because it's not what the people want or times have changed we can change it for that reason too.

It's not a perfect system, but over time it tends to reflect the will of the people it applies to.

You're right that the constitution is largely written, it's better described as uncodified than unwritten.

The precedent would be for the Queen to select a nominated/accepted deputy (but the Tories don't elect a deputy in the same way as Labour).

As Dom Raab is First Secretary , he is likely to be appointed if necessary - rather than just being interim. This assumes the Cabinet signals support for that. The 1992 committee could trigger a leadership election, but I think it unlikely they'd do so in current circumstances - possibly later down the line if the current PM doesn't return to health (or worse).

You're right that the constitution is largely written, it's better described as uncodified than unwritten.

The precedent would be for the Queen to select a nominated/accepted deputy (but the Tories don't elect a deputy in the same way as Labour).

As Dom Raab is First Secretary , he is likely to be appointed if necessary - rather than just being interim. This assumes the Cabinet signals support for that. The 1992 committee could trigger a leadership election, but I think it unlikely they'd do so in current circumstances - possibly later down the line if the current PM doesn't return to health (or worse).

If the unthinkable does happen and Boris dies I would think the next Prime Minister would be nominated by the cabinet and then ratified by the parliamentary Conservative Party. In those extreme circumstances I guess they would want to get to a single candidate so it is quick and doesn't go anywhere near the party membership. That certainly doesn't mean it would be Raab.

Why did Raab or his speech writer include ‘colleague’ in their tribute to Boris ...”not only is he the boss/PM but also a colleague and friend”

Would have been more powerful to omit.

Some chap on TV saying same line. FFS can’t these people be trusted to speak off the cuff. We will be able to cope I think

Worth noting the people on here and on social media generally writing stuff like this. Once this is over I'll be careful to block and avoid all of them.

Well there's an upside to everything, then, it seems.

He is the leader of the "herd immunity" strategy. It's a strategy, but one with a price that no doubt (and with regret, they will say) the tories are prepared for other people to pay. That plus the long-term treatment of the NHS brings a certain ironic whiff to the events. As I said, i do not want him to die, but a chance to reflect on his world view would not go astray.

Comments like this highlight just how extreme the left have become in this country. It shows and utter lack of respect for freedom of speech and our democracy that people advocate serious harm on those that hold opposing views.

Sadly there are too many people like the above poster (i see it routinely in Bristol).

You Dominic scum, yet the reality is that you have already stooped lower than him simply by expressing this viewpoint.

Its a real stain on our society that we've raised intolerant cretins like yourself, and doubly so that you have a platform where you feel you are able to express them without repercussions.

Comments like this highlight just how extreme the left have become in this country. It shows and utter lack of respect for freedom of speech and our democracy that people advocate serious harm on those that hold opposing views.

Sadly there are too many people like the above poster (i see it routinely in Bristol).

You Dominic scum, yet the reality is that you have already stooped lower than him simply by expressing this viewpoint.

Its a real stain on our society that we've raised intolerant cretins like yourself, and doubly so that you have a platform where you feel you are able to express them without repercussions.

Left?? WTF??? You are the one with the generalisations, wild slanderings and ****wittery comments.

First lifting of restrictions will start here at the end of April. Kindergartens and primary schools planning to restart. Hairdressers and similar will be allowed to operate. They've got the infection rate down from the initial 2.5 further infections from each infected individual to 0.7, which means the pool of infectious people should be much smaller and more manageable by then. We'll see, I guess.

I was amazed to see on the BBC that they are thinking of trialling a plan to have passengers enter only at the back of the bus, to protect the driver. They cordoned off the front of the buses here right back at the start. Surely that was just common sense?

Yes, having never had to declare itself an independent country, the UK has never had to come up with a self contained constitution to define itself. However, there are all the same binding constitutional laws in the UK, they just developed and were put in place organically over the years and as needed. The Magna Carta being the most famous early step. It is all written down, just not as one document.

I am from the left and I live in Bristol. I also know many people on the left who are wishing Boris well despite strongly disliking the guy- although some are frustrated that he took such a jovial approach to shaking patients hands in hospitals when he should have been leading by example. That jovial approach may sadly have cost some extra lives. But that does not mean we went him dead or even unwell. But sure, if you focus on the .1% of comments then you would come to that sort of conclusion... 99% of people on the left believe in an inclusive society where marginalised groups receive stronger representation and work with communities to do so.

I am from the left and I live in Bristol. I also know many people on the left who are wishing Boris well despite strongly disliking the guy- although some are frustrated that he took such a jovial approach to shaking patients hands in hospitals when he should have been leading by example. That jovial approach may sadly have cost some extra lives. But that does not mean we went him dead or even unwell. But sure, if you focus on the .1% of comments then you would come to that sort of conclusion... 99% of people on the left believe in an inclusive society where marginalised groups receive stronger representation and work with communities to do so.

I wouldn’t let it worry you, only people with agendas think this way and it’s just petty point scoring. Most sane people of right or left persuasion would freely understand that both sections will have idiots spouting vile stuff. If it were Jeremy Corbyn in intensive care they would be idiots wishing him dead as well. In fact people were wishing Greta Thunberg get covid19 and die recently.