Flybe/SOU

Lighthouse

Terrible news for Southampton airport, makes it an unsustainable business overnight, local govt need to fast track planning permission to increase the size of the run way to allow them to attract airlines with bigger aircraft.

Ironically some airlines that had pulled out could potentially come back and benefit like KLM to Amsterdam and Aer Lingus to Dublin.

I used Flybe a few times for work to Manchester those flights were always busy, and for holidays in France and Faro, very handy having airport close by would be a shame to lose it.

Any sympathy for the people that worked there?

I've not seen much sadly, just a lot (to be fair not here) selfish whining about having to drive the audi to Manchester rather than fly, or have to get a flight from Gatwick or Bournemouth to their holiday home or to enjoy some winter sun. Bless.

Inevitably this is a worrying time for all the employees of flybe, and the airport. Hopefully there'll be some kind of rescue from somewhere but it seems unlikely in the current climate.

Not a good time to be looking for a job in the airline industry and SOU can't survive on a few charter flights and GA. I hardly fly at all these days, the last time was to see Saints in Milan. The time before that was from SOU to Edinburgh for a wedding. I looked in to using the train but it was far, far more expensive than flying, and that is another issue that needs to be addressed in this country.

It's even worse for places like Exeter which are more out on a limb than Southampton.

I often flew with Flybe from the Netherlands to Southampton. On my last visit it took me 4,5 hours from leaving a relatives home in Shirley to arriving back home in the south east of the Netherlands. If I was to drive to Southampton it would take me around 7,5 hours or I would have to fly from Amsterdam to Gatwick. Flybe was by far the cheapest and quickest option.

Feel especially for the employees from Flybe and the smaller airports they served. The flights were often delayed, however the staff were always friendly and helpful.

I used them two or three times a year on business flights to the Channel Islands for the past 40 years, but stopped those trips a couple of years ago because they had become expensive once they had regained their monopoly to the Islands by getting into bed with their rival, Blue Islands. Most on the Islanders called them Fly maybe. It had got to the stage that many of Flybe's flights to the Island began in Edinburgh, with a stop off at Leeds before flying on the Guernsey, then Jersey, rather like a bus route. Any delay as a result of fog or other factors at any of those airports, meant a delay of departure from Southampton. Now there is an opportunity for Blue Islands and Aurigny to take over Flybe's Channel Island slots, which are probably lucrative because of the financial markets on both Islands. I believe that the Southampton route was the second costliest in the world per mile, the costliest being the 10 minute flight between the Islands.

Hopefully, if Sunak announces changes to taxes on Short Haul flights in the budget, someone will come in to take up some of the routes.

Why should flying be tax free? If aviation fuel was taxed at the same rate as petrol / diesel plane tickets would cost around £90 extra per 1,000 miles - far more than the passenger levy.

Why should flying be tax free? If aviation fuel was taxed at the same rate as petrol / diesel plane tickets would cost around £90 extra per 1,000 miles - far more than the passenger levy.

At the end of the Brexit transition period we could tax aviation fuel but this would mean planes taking on as much fuel as possible at EU airports or other places where fuel is not taxed.

Used them loads especially to Ireland. They weren’t called FlymayBe for nothing.

Good riddance to them, hopefully a more reasonably priced airline will replace them. Would love to have some Ryanair and EasyJet options from Southampton.

Used them loads especially to Ireland. They weren’t called FlymayBe for nothing.

Good riddance to them, hopefully a more reasonably priced airline will replace them. Would love to have some Ryanair and EasyJet options from Southampton.

Agree but they need a good 200-300m on the runway before that becomes viable.

Just out of interest, does anyone on here fly to Manchester from SOU?

Let’s say it takes 30 mins to get from wherever to you are to the airport. I’d want to be there a good hour before the flight to get through security and allow for any traffic delays. Then it’s about an hour’s flight, including taxi time. Then probably at least 30 mins to disembark, navigate domestic arrivals and get to wherever you want to be near Manchester. So that’s 3 hours to do something which takes less than 4 to drive. Okay but then...

1) You’re now in Manchester with no car and if you hire one, the extra time and money spent at the rental desk negates anything saved

2) you can take a pitiful amount of luggage without paying extra

3) any delays incurred on previous flights, you spend sat in the airport waiting for the plane to arrive.

4) you can’t leave or arrive when it suits you, you have to plan your entire trip around the 2/3 flights a day and which one roughly fits your plan.

Perhaps someone can explain it but I’ve never understood flying such a short journey.

Let’s say it takes 30 mins to get from wherever to you are to the airport. I’d want to be there a good hour before the flight to get through security and allow for any traffic delays. Then it’s about an hour’s flight, including taxi time. Then probably at least 30 mins to disembark, navigate domestic arrivals and get to wherever you want to be near Manchester. So that’s 3 hours to do something which takes less than 4 to drive. Okay but then...

1) You’re now in Manchester with no car and if you hire one, the extra time and money spent at the rental desk negates anything saved

3) any delays incurred on previous flights, you spend sat in the airport waiting for the plane to arrive.

4) you can’t leave or arrive when it suits you, you have to plan your entire trip around the 2/3 flights a day and which one roughly fits your plan.

Perhaps someone can explain it but I’ve never understood flying such a short journey.

I've done it occasionally from Shropshire when the trains are in a mess. My house to Southampton Central is pretty well the same time as train. Can be cheaper.

But a friend who lives near Manchester Airport flies all the time. Good option for him.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Easyjet have apparently been keen to get into SOU for some time but with Flybe taking all the slots there's been no capacity, not great for the employees of flybe but would be great business for the airport

Would love to have some Ryanair options from Southampton.

Be careful what you wish for

Why? Ryanair are great. Cheap & cheerful.... Fly from Bournemouth 4 or 5 times a year, never an issue

I have willingly taken longer routes and more expensive alternatives to avoid Ryanair previously. They are a horrible, joyless organisation. Almost dehumanising.

I have willingly taken longer routes and more expensive alternatives to avoid Ryanair previously. They are a horrible, joyless organisation. Almost dehumanising.

Likewise, I will exhaust all other options before stepping onto a Ryanair plane, however flights are flights. Ryanair will ruthlessly negotiate the tightest possible deal with any airport, however these deals are often better than nothing. Plenty off staff at places like Prestwick, Hahn, Girona, Reus, Memm-ingen and other similar airports would have lost their jobs without Ryanair.

Edited by Lighthouse
Didn't realise there was a swear in that!

Rubbish.

Their flights are no different than any short haul flight in terms of service, they’re all pretty much a muchness. Last year I flew Ryanair, Norwegian, Easy jet & British airways and there was absolutely no noticeable difference between any of them.

I regularly fly to Gran Caneria & the options from Bournemouth are Ryanair or TUI and I’ve previously used both. There is a substantial difference in cost and flight times, with no difference in service. Of course Ryanair’s model is based on stinging you for amendments & picking seats etc. They’ve also incredibly strict with cabin bag policy. But those costs are easily manageable if you’re organised.

I get to Bournemouth airport at 5am and I can be on beach with budgie smugglers on by midday, and for hundreds less than other airlines. You’d still be waiting at Gatwick or in midair, having paid considerably more cash. That’s rather more “joyless” imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I regularly fly to Gran Caneria & the options from Bournemouth are Ryanair or TUI and I’ve previously used both. There is a substantial difference in cost and flight times, with no difference in service. Of course Ryanair’s model is based on stinging you for amendments & picking seats etc. They’ve also incredibly strict with cabin bag policy. But those costs are easily manageable if you’re organised.

Ryanair to the Canaries? Blimey, you’re brave.

Are you sure that it’s the Canaries you land at and not somewhere in sub-Saharan Africa?

Still, horses for courses as they say in some French restaurants.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

I haven't flown from Manchester to Southampton, but I have done Southampton to Leeds, with my family, for a weekend with friends.

Finish work at 4:30pm Friday, leg it home, get a taxi, catch a 6pm flight to leeds, with 1 bag checked in. Arrive at Leeds at 7:15pm, out and in my friends house by 7:30pm (they are close to the airport).

Absolutely brilliant for me. You turn a weekend away with friends into 2 full nights and a chunk of Sunday before returning.

I know Greta would have us believe it isnt the way to do it, but 10-12 hours driving cant be much different on the carbon?

I know Greta would have us believe it isnt the way to do it, but 10-12 hours driving cant be much different on the carbon?

Carbon wise Mile per mile flying is roughly similar to one person in a car. Four people in a plane compared with four in a car is obviously four times worse. The real problem is that flying makes travelling huge distances more attractive, so they do it more. People often take two winter breaks to the sun. If you had to drive 6,000 miles you wouldn’t do it. You’d go to Cornwall or stay home instead.

Edited by buctootim

As many on here, I'm a regular user of Flybe and will miss them dearly. In terms of its business model however, it had been a sick place for many years.

Regional airlines have not had a good ride since the post-9/11 aviation world and the oil boom that followed in the noughties. Liberalisation and competition has also sent prices spiralling down which is great for the majority but it has hit those flying with less seats more. Look around in Europe, and there are virtually no independent regional carriers left - they are either subsidiaries of bigger, mainline airlines or have these contract their services (a la Stobart Air).

Those that have survived independently rely heavily on PSO contracts where they have a very clear geographical/logistic advantage over others, in operation and bidding (see Loganair).

It's also unclear how profitable many of these routes really are, so that they can be operated viably in any other way - Flybe themselves were paid by British Airways (through a direct capital injection in 2007) to take over most of these regional connections that are now proclaimed to be so politically sensitive.

The last decade has generally been dreadful for Flybe too - very complex business model with too many half-hearted ventures (Finland/Scotland/Stobart franchises, summer/winter holiday markets from regional airports) - any recovery news were of course purely driven by the company taking another gamble.

In the end, the company was way too big to be transformed, its core business had little potential and the current owners didn't really know what to do with it - Stobart wanted an established brand to fly its planes from its airports, Virgin wanted the Heathrow slots for feeder traffic, financiers wanted a quick corporate turnaround and sale.

Things won't be the same but I do hope SOU recovers some of the essential routes - it's a bit depressing having to drive past the airport this week!