Saints vs. Newcastle - Match Thread

Lighthouse

I dunno.

Questions

re Djenepo... was that deliberate? really? at full speed not clear there was time to pull out.

re penalty... surely he was being swung into the ball by having his other arm pulled.

Arguably this is where VAR ... with its SLOW MOTION... can be unfair. ref's instincts in real time were different both times.

I also think the red card rule itself is ridiculous. You should not ruin an entire game for one controversial incident. Penalize the player by all means. Force a substitution and a ban, if need be, but don't destroy the rest of the team's effort. Or introduce 15-min sin bins.

Other than that, I'm perfectly happy.

Yeah not sure about that either. Surely any atmosphere is better than no atmosphere. I can remember some vitriolic support at the Dell when we were up against it from the opposition and the officials. More of it if you ask me.
True, but SOME chants in support of the team would be nice. For a good 5 minutes after the red it was consistent booing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The sending off was wrong, there was no intent from Djenepo, he was looking away as he ran. The officials just took account of where his foot landed.

Hpwever , the same officials thinkg that sliding in late and kicking someone in the chest a just a yellow!

I am all for VAR, but it is applied so inconsistently that is not helping.

We were shocking when it was 11v11 anyway. Stuffed now.

Apart from the keeper not a single player is on their game. Second best everywhere, slower, weaker.

And Djenepo and Boufal's interventions that half were straight up unprofessional.

The manager hasn't got a clue how to get this rabble to play against sides that don't want the ball - seems unlikely he's going to find the answer a man down.

Red card and pen both correct decisions. The only complaint is that I think the ref has to look at replays in real speed. Ever foul looks extremely late and premeditated when slowed down - overruling his original decision based on an artificial reimagining of events doesn't sit right.

No wingers for the next three games. Good thing we're safe...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

True, but SOME chants in support of the team would be nice. For a good 5 minutes after the red it was consistent booing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Agree with that. Some Red army and OWTS to break up the booing.

The sending off was wrong, there was no intent from Djenepo, he was looking away as he ran. The officials just took account of where his foot landed.

Hpwever , the same officials thinkg that sliding in late and kicking someone in the chest a just a yellow!

I am all for VAR, but it is applied so inconsistently that is not helping.

Behave, it was a red card all day long, could easily have broken his leg. I’m no fan of VAR but that was a red all day long.

How lucky have we’ve been. Newcastle could be 4 up. 3 good saves from McCarthy, a saved pen and a goal ruled (rightly) out, we’ve been utter sh1te and really can’t defend can we.
I wouldn't call having a player sent off and conceding a penalty... err lucky

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Surely there is a foul on Boufal as he leans in to the ball? Nobody else see that ?

Clear foul. Happened simultaneously or even a fraction before hand (well upper arm) ball. VAR should have seen that and let it roll on.

I wouldn't call having a player sent off and conceding a penalty... err lucky

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Both decisions were correct and Newcastle could easily be 4 up. We’ve been sh1t again a very average team.

Those of you criticising us fans, actually in attendance, without the benefit of replays, getting swept up in the VAR shenanigans can quite frankly go **** yourselves.

you don’t get to criticise from your armchair

Clear foul. Happened simultaneously or even a fraction before hand (well upper arm) ball. VAR should have seen that and let it roll on.

If you watch it closely Boufal leans into the ball and catches it just below his shoulder, hit he was being pulled you don’t get pulled back and end up leaning forward do you. The tug was a split second later, can see why it was given. It was a stupid thing to do as the ball as going away from goal and gave VAR an opportunity to review it when there was no need.

Behave, it was a red card all day long, could easily have broken his leg. I’m no fan of VAR but that was a red all day long.

Particularly after the Lo Celso incident the other week, when he 'had nowhere else to put his foot', and they later admitted that it should have been a red card.

RALPH

If you don’t research the opposition properly and you obviously don’t you would be accounting for their main engine rooms, in this case Shelvey. It’s as though you haven’t seen Newcastle play and add to that West Ham and Burnley ....!!! Our preparation is pitiful.

Edited by captainchris

Barring that very short upturn in form January/ February.....which was down to Ings primarily, we have been utter turd this season in every aspect.

I’m not overly enthused at giving Hasenhüttl a new contract.

New additions in the summer or not, he’s not entirely blameless in our **** poor form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk