Saints 0-1 Newcastle - Reaction

Lighthouse

I was pretty angry when a 40+ year old guy tried to lay my 14 year old daughter, but yeah, that must have been quite annoying for you in the context of stuff that happens in sport.

I hope you had a word with Jonny Bognor.

7 league places (c£14m in revenue)

FA cup exit

looking behind us not forward

But we made £5m profit in the transfer window and that’s all that matters

It’s still beggars belief we stated in numerous occasions that we were going to strengthen at the back in January and came out of it weaker and some of our fans defend it. It’s incredible

Yeah some battle but we were going for a 0-0 and newcastle kept missing. They should have scored plenty but they're rubbish.

Can't say I feel any different about the loss than I would have a 0-0 given how our home results have been.

Huge game at Norwich now. We either finish them off or we're slipping back into it. And I don't want to see huge celebrations when we scrape survival either. The season has been an abject failure in planning, signings and form for most players.

I honestly didn't think Newcastle were a threat in the second half even with the extra man. Not really sure what game you were watching if you thought they kept missing. Game was decided by the sending off and an individual error.

Other than that I thought our players put in a very decent shift today and deserved a point for their efforts.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Dog**** game, decent support. We’re pretty much safe, so won’t lose too much sleep over the result - biggest disappointment is that deadwood we want to clear isn’t putting itself in the shop window and players we want to build a side around are still woefully inconsistent.

Dog**** game, decent support. We’re pretty much safe, so won’t lose too much sleep over the result - biggest disappointment is that deadwood we want to clear isn’t putting itself in the shop window and players we want to build a side around are still woefully inconsistent.

Sums it up for me too. Hard to get upset about it, and hard to get excited for the future.

It's pretty much like being nowhere.

Despite VAR, some teams still seem to get preferential treatment over others, and some officials still have a massive influence over the result.

Today's result was not totally unexpected, and next week at Norwich will be as hard for us to get something. Unthinkable only a few weeks ago.....:frown:

They missed plenty of chances, Gayle was really poor, they missed a penalty too.

If a team has a big striker, even if they're not scoring much, and don't play them against us they're crazy.

Yeah, first half they missed chances granted. Penalty though was from a bizarre random piece of play by Boufal.

Second half they really didn't threaten from where I was sitting. Obviously the howler from us gifted them the points.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Yeah some battle but we were going for a 0-0 and newcastle kept missing. They should have scored plenty but they're rubbish.

Can't say I feel any different about the loss than I would have a 0-0 given how our home results have been.

Huge game at Norwich now. We either finish them off or we're slipping back into it. And I don't want to see huge celebrations when we scrape survival either. The season has been an abject failure in planning, signings and form for most players.

What did you expect us to do faced with over an hour of 10 vs 11, go all out for a win?

Despite the extra man I wouldn’t say they were all over us, we were clearly lacking up top and I’d have taken a point given the circumstances. To lose to a stupid error, against a team that can’t even buy a goal makes it all the harder to take. 9th loss at home this season, and some utter helmets like Instant Classic have to nerve to criticise those of us that turn up whilst they stream from the comfort of their armchair.

Can’t wait for the season to end

Despite VAR, some teams still seem to get preferential treatment over others, and some officials still have a massive influence over the result.

Today's result was not totally unexpected, and next week at Norwich will be as hard for us to get something. Unthinkable only a few weeks ago.....:frown:

If we keep 11 on the pitch it won't be as hard. We can and need to go there and win. Norwich are still a very poor side at this level.

They're not poor at all - their attacking play is far more incisive and inventive than our cloggers can manage. They played Spurs off the park in midweek.

They'll cause us loads of problems.

The only thing in our favour is that Norwich like to pass the ball around at the back and through the midfield, so we might get some joy with our press. Which we're going to have to because we can't create a thing any other way.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I really can't understand the degree of wrist-slashing on here. We were by far the better team for the first half an hour until Djenepo got himself sent off. We also defended with spirit until virtually the 80th minute, including some quite brilliant saves by McCarthy, but had we been facing a keeper making such saves, some on here would be moaning at how crap our strikers were for not being able to put the ball in the net. Yes, McCarthy had an inspired game, but that is a big plus in terms of team spirit that we were able to still give Newcastle a few frights in their defence until late on in the match. Ultimately a mistake by young Valery gave Newcastle the chance they took, having been pretty dire with others. Perhaps playing Djenepo and Boufal in the same team was a bit of a luxury, but they didn't look bad together until Djenepo got sent off. Looking at the bigger picture until the end of the season, Redmond and Armstrong would have probably helped win us the match today if playing, Smallbone looks a good find and Valery and Walker-Peters at least give options at right back if they both attain proper match fitness and an understanding with the CBs. One has been out for a while and the other has only recently arrived, so let's not be too hasty to judge them just yet.

As for the atmosphere, that was amazing, quite the best of the season. Refereeing and linesmen, appalling.

Some did foresee this my friend....

I’m the first to take a pop at our support but today, second half until they scored, was very good - but it will be interesting to see if results improve at St Mary’s once we, inevitably, start playing behind closed doors in the coming weeks.

Wash your hands

We’re pretty much safe, so won’t lose too much sleep over the result .

I hope you're right...but you know our team...if we don't win one or more of the next two games we could be entering May needing two wins out of the last three games...don't see us getting anything from Man City, Everton or Man Utd...

I really can't understand the degree of wrist-slashing on here. We were by far the better team for the first half an hour until Djenepo got himself sent off. We also defended with spirit until virtually the 80th minute, including some quite brilliant saves by McCarthy, but had we been facing a keeper making such saves, some on here would be moaning at how crap our strikers were for not being able to put the ball in the net. Yes, McCarthy had an inspired game, but that is a big plus in terms of team spirit that we were able to still give Newcastle a few frights in their defence until late on in the match. Ultimately a mistake by young Valery gave Newcastle the chance they took, having been pretty dire with others. Perhaps playing Djenepo and Boufal in the same team was a bit of a luxury, but they didn't look bad together until Djenepo got sent off. Looking at the bigger picture until the end of the season, Redmond and Armstrong would have probably helped win us the match today if playing, Smallbone looks a good find and Valery and Walker-Peters at least give options at right back if they both attain proper match fitness and an understanding with the CBs. One has been out for a while and the other has only recently arrived, so let's not be too hasty to judge them just yet.

As for the atmosphere, that was amazing, quite the best of the season. Refereeing and linesmen, appalling.

What game were you watching Les? We’re sh1t first half, a wonder treble save from McCarthy and a bad miss kept us level, we created very little. Second half I thought we were better looked comfortable until yet another error. Over the whole game we got what we deserved but thought we’d got away with it when we went in at half time level

Thinking we could be much worse second half and we weren’t

Why do I bother? Why am I bothered?

I hate VAR. it is destroying the game that I loved. The TV companies have created a monster and it has to be fed.

I never want to see Valery in a Saints shirt again. Another stupid mistake to go with all his others.

Likewise Obafemi. He got sent on for his five minutes of effort and glory and every time the ball was passed to him he dummied it or flicked it away. At that stage of the game you need someone to hold the ball upfront. Buy your teammates some breathing space, maybe draw a foul.

And we’re told we were wrong. Stephens and co were now great players not poor ones playing well. We were absolutely fine

I will add (again) that the RB situation is 100% our own doing. What a predictably pathetic position we have put ourselves in.

Really starting to regret not signing one of those world class RB, teams were practically giving away in January. Would definitely have prevented Djenepo from being sent off. If only I was as clever as Turkish, I might have seen this coming.

Disgraceful result against a poor side but they were comfortable as ****.

Our players are home are a joke. 4 years of underperforming at St. Mary's but ****s on here blame the fans.

The decision not to strengthen in January could be a costly one, we signed Spurs 4th choice RB to replace our 1st choice for the sake of £5 ****ing million quid.

Never rated Valary, trash player and that mistake was always on the cards because he hates facing his own goal.

Hope Boufal never wears the shirt again. A ****e player who thinks he is far better than he is.

Joke result and we are right back in the relegation battle now, shame on the powers at the club for thinking we were comfortably safe in January.

Yeah, we really are trying to get back in the doo-doo aren't we? We looked well clear of it and hoping for a late surge for a European spot. Now we are - what is it - only 7 points above relegation slots. Squeaky bum time. (there should be an emoji for that)

Really starting to regret not signing one of those world class RB, teams were practically giving away in January. Would definitely have prevented Djenepo from being sent off. If only I was as clever as Turkish, I might have seen this coming.

good shout, we should have just kept he one we had if Lighthouse was not able to recommend someone!

I will add (again) that the RB situation is 100% our own doing. What a predictably pathetic position we have put ourselves in.
We seem to be utterly obsessed as a club on "clever" player sales and departures. Creating unnecessary upheaval and problems just so the player trading department can all high-fiving each other on saving six months wages on February 1st. Over and over again.

Its a shame Arsenal snapped up that experienced Premier League RB in January.

I'll post tomorrow when I'm not so angry (not with the team) and the infestation of gloating skates and negative non-thinking whingers has thinned out a bit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Good decision, I'm not sure that I have just watched the same game as some of the forum experts. I never normally watch motd when we lose, but I will tonight because I thought the players and crowd put in a decent shift.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thank you. A bit of unbiased sanity.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Its a shame Arsenal snapped up that experienced Premier League RB in January.

The one who’s been injured for a few months and will be fit for at best 8 games, clearly doesn’t want to be here and when he was was usually a liability against any kind of height, defensively?

Not really clever pal, just common sense. Rally’s did we were going to strengthen the window, we ended up weaker. Nothing clever about it, it’s a fact unfortunately a lot on here don’t like facts

The one who’s been injured for a few months and will be fit for at best 8 games, clearly doesn’t want to be here and when he was was usually a liability against any kind of height, defensively?

Is Cedric better than Valery and Walker Peters?

Not really clever pal, just common sense. Rally’s did we were going to strengthen the window, we ended up weaker. Nothing clever about it, it’s a fact unfortunately a lot on here don’t like facts

it is clear as day that we would have been stronger in the run-in with Cedric than what we have now.

regardless if he gets done for height now and then and did not really want to be here anymore. He didnt want to be here when we beat spurs, chelsea etc. but that was not an issue then

Rally's did what....

Are you drunk?

Or in such a rush to post Whyte you get all muddled. :lol:

Rally's did what....

Are you drunk?

Or in such a rush to post Whyte you get all muddled. :lol:

It’s called predictive text pal

I’m truly amazed the mods let you go around just posting after other posters day in day out.

Come on, let’s hear an opinion from you for once, is Cedric better or worse than Valery and Walker Peters?

It’s called predictive text pal

I’m truly amazed the mods let you go around just posting after other posters day in day out.

Come on, let’s hear an opinion from you for once, is Cedric better or worse than Valery and Walker Peters?

Well they let you post so it's fair game for all I would suggest as you just post for reaction, you are getting worse that Glasgow

As far as Cedric goes, he is probably better overall but has had some stinkers that even you would admit but it's irrelevant as he is not here,

and injured