Saints 0-1 Newcastle - Reaction

Lighthouse

The club should honestly refund fans an entire season of home games. It is an utter, utter, utter shambles at home. Every.single.week. I've had enough of the **** show. 100% no season ticket for me next year, and I can gaurentee others will say the same.

Same old **** really, lots of huff and puff, no real quality and no real openings in the 2nd half.

Once Mousa was sent off, it was all on Boufal - his chance to show us why we kept him, why we spent £20m on him, and why he's supposedly so highly rated. He didn't show anything and was the usual Boufal we've all come to know and not love. He needs to go in the summer and we need to get someone who is actually suited to this league.

We were lucky with the other results today, so no damage has really been done. But whatever happens, it's a truly depressing and worthless experience watching us try to play football at home.

Mate, knock yourself out with your constant criticism and negativity. I was there today, I know what I saw, rarely does a player who has just been sent off get a standing ovation. We played well, we lost, but we were always in with a chance of getting something. Players and crowd did the club proud today.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

He deserved to be sent off and we deserved to lose. What ****ing game did you actually watch?

I only get to see 1 home game a season and today was it. I have to say that I had a great time despite the result, and really enjoyed the 10-15 minute long mocking of the Skates during the 2nd half. I thought our fans were terrific today but genuinely wish the club would do everything possible to move the away end (I know the reasons why not though).

Performance-wise, only the flurry of wonder saves from McCarthy kept us in it before the red card. We were all dumbfounded by it at the time, but it sounds like the correct call. I was totally gutted for Moussa and hope that this doesn't set him back as I see a lot of potential there. At half time I was confident that a fully-deserved defeat was inevitable.

Fair play though, 2nd half we really rallied and I feel we did genuinely deserve to get a point for that effort, but just knew a goal was going to come out of the blue. It was a really bad error by Valery, but he's still young and hope he learns from this.

This was my first ever VAR game and I have to say that I'm not a fan at all. The spontaneous nature of the game is being sucked away and every reaction you make is a little inhibited as you mentally think "is this going to be ruled irrelevant in a minute". That's a very dangerous thing to do as it's why I personally love football.

Overall, a disappointing result but I'm personally happy that safety appears almost certain and think we will progress next season.

This one is on the players, I’ve often been negative about the role our home fans play in getting on their backs, but zippier was class today, abject performance from both teams, Newcastle hardly threatenened second half and should have been a point.

He deserved to be sent off and we deserved to lose. What ****ing game did you actually watch?
He was unlucky to be sent off and, with ten men, we were as good as their eleven. One mistake lost it. I'm pretty sure that with a full team, we would have won.

Please stop your pathetic negative bleating. But then you enjoy it too much, don't you?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

He was unlucky to be sent off and, with ten men, we were as good as their eleven. One mistake lost it. I'm pretty sure that with a full team, we would have won.

Please stop your pathetic negative bleating. But then you enjoy it too much, don't you?

Of course I enjoy it you absolute mong. Take the tinted specs off.

He wasn’t unlucky to be sent off..though there wasn’t intent the replays clearly showed a studs up contact to the shin. Team was unlucky though; deserved better after that spirited second half.

Of course I enjoy it you absolute mong. Take the tinted specs off.
Yep. Go for the insults. At least you're admitting you only come in here to criticise, wind up, insult and revel in any Saints failings.

Sad. This forum was once an intelligent discussion. Now it's badly polluted with individuals whose only interest is trolling.

He wasn’t unlucky to be sent off..though there wasn’t intent the replays clearly showed a studs up contact to the shin. Team was unlucky though; deserved better after that spirited second half.
He was unlucky in that I've seen at least half a dozen tackles like that this season (including one today on Bertrand) that either haven't even been looked at by VAR or ignored if the VAR ref doesn't want to overrule the on-field ref.

I think the relative standings of the two refs us a serious issue. Where the VAR ref is more experienced or wanting to make a name for himself, we see intervention. If it's the other way round, the VAR ref tends to be very cautious and usually defers.

I watched the same game as you, but I have a different opinion to you, is that ok, or do you wish to rant some more in order to try to make your point?

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

He was unlucky in that I've seen at least half a dozen tackles like that this season (including one today on Bertrand) that either haven't even been looked at by VAR or ignored if the VAR ref doesn't want to overrule the on-field ref.

I think the relative standings of the two refs us a serious issue. Where the VAR ref is more experienced or wanting to make a name for himself, we see intervention. If it's the other way round, the VAR ref tends to be very cautious and usually defers.

I agree, there was no intent a yellow was sufficient in my opinion.

Watching the game again, You realise

1) We created very little with 11 then 10 men

2) It's definitely a red card

3) Newcastle should have been 0-3 up at HT

4) It was a penalty

5) The home fans sounded decent from minutes 50-79

6) Valery is a liability

7) Long should have squared the ball

8.) We got nothing, we deserved nothing

9) Being honest is "trolling"

Watching the game again, You realise

1) We created very little with 11 then 10 men…

2) It's definitely a red card

3) Newcastle should have been 0-3 up at HT

4) It was a penalty

5) The home fans sounded decent from minutes 50-79

6) Valery is a liability

7) Long should have squared the ball

8.) We got nothing, we deserved nothing

9) Being honest is "trolling"

I’ll take a few bags of what you are peddling there, my Roses will be blooming marvellous in the summer with that quality of feed!

Cédric is injures and wouldn’t have played any of the games we’ve had since he left. That’s the point.

That’s a fair point but being forced to play sh!t players because of injuries is fair enough. We are playing with sh!t right backs because our owner fancied pocketing some cash, wether Cedric is injured or not makes no difference to us now.

Valery drives me round the bend. Could see that a mile off that he needed+to clear it, and wouldn’t. Stupid fcker is a liability

Support was best this season I thought. Geordies in pub said they couldn’t get their songs going as we wouldn’t shut up.

Sad. This forum was once an intelligent discussion. Now it's badly polluted with individuals whose only interest is trolling.

No, it's never changed, in fact it's tame now compared to the early days.

It’s utterly pathetic. Not even subtle anymore, just blatantly trolling for bites any way they can get them.

Yep. The biggest troll on here is always SFC. Never offers a view on anything himself, Never makes any football related posts, just posts about other people. He even admitted That today saying on this thread he doesn’t care what people say or their view he just comes on here to troll them. Will the mods do anything about it? I doubt it. he’s part of the groovy gang that aren’t trolls because they smile and clap at everything the clubs does.

Generation snowflakes
I take that to mean that those who don't build their existence around aggressive, insulting (and in effect, bullying) behaviour seeking to belittle others are somehow inferior and lacking.

Seems to be the way of the world now. Dominate and impose your over-inflated and flawed ego at all costs. Never respect. Never consider others' views.

But, as we all know, you have no intelligent contributions to make and you're only on here to get reactions.

Yep. Go for the insults. At least you're admitting you only come in here to criticise, wind up, insult and revel in any Saints failings.

So what did you think of our overall performance today, against Burnley and against West Ham?

Because if you think that was good enough then it is no wonder the club price it top dollar.

I was there today, I know what I saw, rarely does a player who has just been sent off get a standing ovation.

What a load of pony. Nearly every single player sent off gets a standing ovation from his own supporters . A saints player could nut the ref, kick the Lino in the balls, and rape the 4th official on the way down the tunnel, and he’d still receive a standing ovation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Christ there are some ridiculous over reactions on here.

First half we were well in it until the sending off which completely changed the dynamic of the game and Newcastle did throw a lot at us for the last 15 before half time. However I can barely remember them having a chance in the second half, our players gave everything they had and we were only undone by a silly lapse in concentration from Valery, who that mistake aside had a decent game I thought. He is still young and was making his comeback after several months out, cut him a bit of slack. Seems like Cedric has suddenly become a world beater since leaving when in reality he was pretty poor for most of his time here and often slated on this forum. The way we battled in the second half I think a point would have been justified, it certainly wasn't a disgrace like some are claiming.

A disappointing result but we should still be fine, just need to pick up a few more points here and there.

Biggest positive I took away was the sense of camaraderie between the fans and players which seems to have been missing for a long time. Providing we're not playing behind closed doors that level of support needs to continue.

Mate, knock yourself out with your constant criticism and negativity. I was there today, I know what I saw, rarely does a player who has just been sent off get a standing ovation. We played well, we lost, but we were always in with a chance of getting something. Players and crowd did the club proud today.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Fair play you went, I watched a ****ty stream whilst this place is in lock down.

But I couldn't disagree more. The only two chances I remember us having are the two Long chances. The one where he skied it and the other which went straight at their keeper.

McCarthy made what 3-4 quality saves and the penalty? Think I remember one of them being inside the 6 yard box and somehow shooting past the post?

I thought we were pretty poor in all honesty and ran out of ideas. When we had the ball it was normally around the half way line.

If we had good chances I could see where you were coming from. But I don't think we did and if our keeper didn't pull off some great saves it could of been 0-3 easily.

Just watched the youtube highlights. Both VAR decisions were right much to my amazement

I was at the game, and my reaction for both decisions was that the red card was harsh and it was never handball. Along with most of SMS. But the images on the big screen were not the ones that VAR used to make a decision. VAR is here to stay but the way that it is communicated to those at the game needs massive improvement.

Also think that the criticism of Valery is harsh. He was knackered after the layoff and should have been subbed earlier. As should Long. Long's decision making today was terrible, although he ran his socks off. Twice he got through and went for tight angle shots rather than squaring it.

Absolutely this. Those at the game came away feeling robbed and those watching it on tv saw a different game entirely.

Can't blame the fans for that one. Absolute dog **** again.

Shane Long is a ****ing donkey as well.

Agree with Long ....50p boots jumps well runs alot wow £12m spent well thats a bargin utter shyte........bring in Adams to partner Ings for christ sake thats why we bought him right?

T

The first half an hour where we created **** all?

And in the second half, when they had the lion share of possession.

What game were you lot watching? They deserved the win today.

Newcastle certainly had the lion share of possession second half ... and what did they do with it? Passed along their back line from left to right, from right to left, forward to Shelvey .... who passed it to the right, then back to Shelvey who passed it to the left ... and repeat. They achieved very little but managed to create the one thing that truly mattered - a defensive error. Football can be a cruel game.

The red card , in real time , looked like the Newcastle player got to the ball a fraction of a second earlier so to me that was a yellow . The on field ref , who saw it in real time , gave a yellow which reflected the intent angle as well as the timing . Of course in slo mo it looks worse because the timing is ignored ie there was no time to avoid contact in what was an attempt to block the ball. The penalty was also border line to me even in slo mo , how far up does the arm go ? he did move toward the ball but was another decision that was debateable in my view , great save though.

Interesting to see WH waltz through Arsenal's defence as well !!

Absolutely this. Those at the game came away feeling robbed and those watching it on tv saw a different game entirely.

yes, in a nutshell that’s about it. Must admit watching the highlights I lost the sense of injustice I had at the game.

Agree with Long ....50p boots jumps well runs alot wow £12m spent well thats a bargin utter shyte........bring in Adams to partner Ings for christ sake thats why we bought him right?

Absolutely, give Adams game time for f*ck sake to improve his confidence, whatever he does will be an improvement on Long.

The red card , in real time , looked like the Newcastle player got to the ball a fraction of a second earlier so to me that was a yellow . The on field ref , who saw it in real time , gave a yellow which reflected the intent angle as well as the timing . Of course in slo mo it looks worse because the timing is ignored ie there was no time to avoid contact in what was an attempt to block the ball. The penalty was also border line to me even in slo mo , how far up does the arm go ? he did move toward the ball but was another decision that was debateable in my view , great save though.

Interesting to see WH waltz through Arsenal's defence as well !!

Yep, that’s how I saw it. Leave things to the referee in the middle FFS.

The red card incident was one of those things that can happen when you go flying in and stitch your ankle in front of a running player. Yellow was appropriate, red harsh.

There have been other handball incidents very similar to Boufal’s without giving a foul. It was the point of his shoulder and nobody on the pitch even claimed for it.

TV gives a very different view of the game.

First half we were well in it until the sending off which completely changed the dynamic of the game and Newcastle did throw a lot at us for the last 15 before half time. However I can barely remember them having a chance in the second half, our players gave everything they had and we were only undone by a silly lapse in concentration from Valery, who that mistake aside had a decent game I thought. He is still young and was making his comeback after several months out, cut him a bit of slack. Seems like Cedric has suddenly become a world beater since leaving when in reality he was pretty poor for most of his time here and often slated on this forum. The way we battled in the second half I think a point would have been justified, it certainly wasn't a disgrace like some are claiming.

A disappointing result but we should still be fine, just need to pick up a few more points here and there.

Biggest positive I took away was the sense of camaraderie between the fans and players which seems to have been missing for a long time. Providing we're not playing behind closed doors that level of support needs to continue.

An excellent and accurate post amongst the nonsense.

I would love to have posted similar but I'm dragged down by the endless negativity and posts from those trying to be all superior

along with the usual bite seekers.

The performance was really not that bad considering the rear guard action needed for a large part of game,

Newcastle created very little in second half

What I am wrong about? I'm disappointed we lost, spent time and money watching us lose at home for 10th time this year.

Newcastle had the better chances in the game - FACT

Newcastle had more chances in the game - FACT

Our keeper had his best game of the season keeping the score down.

What would you disagree with that?

Home crowd today were excellent, didn't get on players backs, did all we could. I thought red card was unfortunate, but over the 90 minutes we can't claim we deserved something.

This is pretty fair and accurate

That was the way I saw the game. Unfortunately, a lot on here can’t see beyond the result and their opinions on the performance are totally coloured by that. If Valery hadn’t made his error and we had come away with a point, a good proportion of those saying the players were terrible and a “disgrace” would be praising the exact same performance. As you say, second half Newcastle never looked a threat until Valery’s error and that was down to the hard work of the 10 players still out there.

[emoji106]

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say it was a disgrace. Most people agree with your assessment but disagree that over the 90 minutes we deserved anything, perhaps the second half effort may have got a few plucky point votes but the reality is that first half they had a good 4 or 5 golden chances even before the sending off and we could and probably should have been 3 down. Second half we defended well but didn’t really create any chances to win it. Our keeper was man of the match with a penalty save an a brilliant treble save plus Gayle missed two sitters whilst we didn’t make their keeper work hard once. Not really sure why people are considered negative for stating facts and admitting that over the 90 minutes they should have won. Put it this way, if it had been the other way round and we’d not missed a hatful of chances and then dominated the second half getting a late winner I don’t think anyone would be saying we got lucky. They’d be saying we got what our patience deserved.

Same "fans" defending yesterday's performance are coincidentally the same "fans" that defended everything after

Burnley at home

WHU at home

Leicester at home

Wolves at home

Everton at home

Bournemouth at home

And the same "fans" that appreciated Les Reed / Big Kat our last 8 transfer windows and "proud of us" after only losing 4-0 to Liverpool

The acceptance of pure **** is either admirable or pathetic

Two basic errors from players being not good enough for this level cost us the game. Djenepo's second touch send the ball 5 yards ahead of himself when dribbling leading to his lunge - see that all the time from players with poor control. And Valery's first touch - everything about it put him in trouble, his speed to the ball and the fact he needed a second touch to get it under control, and then his strength and spatial awareness following on from the poor first touch. It's not silly errors, some players lack the ability to play at this level, which requires the reasonably consistent execution of basic skills.

Two basic errors from players being not good enough for this level cost us the game. Djenepo's second touch send the ball 5 yards ahead of himself when dribbling leading to his lunge - see that all the time from players with poor control. And Valery's first touch - everything about it put him in trouble, his speed to the ball and the fact he needed a second touch to get it under control, and then his strength and spatial awareness following on from the poor first touch. It's not silly errors, some players lack the ability to play at this level, which requires the reasonably consistent execution of basic skills.

It’s the same for so many games this season. We play okay but the make mistakes which costs us points, when it keeps happening week after week season after season it’s not lapses of concentration or bad coaching, it’s the players aren’t good enough, plain and simple. Yet say it you get told everything is fine and you’re just negative towards the club.

Great post. The sending off changed the game completely. We didn't lose cos they were better as such, we lost because we played most of the game with 10 men.

Re Cedric. Not only has he become a world beater since he's gone, he's also miraculously got over his injury that'll keep him out for another week or two. Truth is, if he was still here rather than KWP we'd have less options at RB but let's not let facts get in the way of a good whinge from the usual.

We're far from great but we'll be ok.