The Sunday Times - Southampton put up for sale at £250m

The Odd Guy

Well, even being owned by the Saudi Royal family wont make them any bigger or better than Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, will they be happy being 5th at best?

Depends who they buy with their potentially new found riches. Leicester might finish above Utd this season, doesn't make them a bigger club of course, but results are what count and not how many plastic supporters you have in S.E Asia.

So another club falls into the clutches of a foreign, despot regimes investment fund. We must be up to about 12 clubs now who reckon they’re going to spend their way into 4 Champions League places.

Give it a couple of years, the Geordies will have spent £300m and still be about 13th.

I'm surprised the Newcastle deal is progressing. With there being limited prospect of any crowds at games in the next 9 months the whole future landscape for football is so uncertain.

Unless Cashley is selling on the cheap to get rid

Well, even being owned by the Saudi Royal family wont make them any bigger or better than Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, will they be happy being 5th at best?

Isn’t that why Chelsea and city are both (excluding the Saudi and royal) in that list? :lol:

Maybe, but then they have a few years of Champions League income and winning things to help rather than winning the fairs cup in 1967, laughing emoji clever **** thing.

They literally only have champions league football and winning things because of their mega rich owners.

There is no reason (other than FFP so it may take a little longer), that if Newcastle new owners want to invest heavily then they can’t achieve what city and Chelsea have in 5-10 years.

https://talksport.com/football/695017/newcastle-united-takeover-saudi-consortium-premier-league-owners-rich-list/

Well according to that list we are owned by the 10th richest PL owner even after Newcastle buy out, and above Bin dippers. Of course all depends on how much of his own money the owner is prepared to invest - not sure many are these days (even Spurs, Man C, Chelsea etc.). Time will tell.

To be honest taking a break from PL football is making me realise the whole top level football is just so out of kilter with normal life, with some many unsavory charters associated with the game, that I might just start supporting local teams when it all starts again - if indeed there are any minor teams left.

https://talksport.com/football/695017/newcastle-united-takeover-saudi-consortium-premier-league-owners-rich-list/

Well according to that list we are owned by the 10th richest PL owner even after Newcastle buy out, and above Bin dippers. Of course all depends on how much of his own money the owner is prepared to invest - not sure many are these days (even Spurs, Man C, Chelsea etc.). Time will tell.

To be honest taking a break from PL football is making me realise the whole top level football is just so out of kilter with normal life, with some many unsavory charters associated with the game, that I might just start supporting local teams when it all starts again - if indeed there are any minor teams left.

Goa worth £3bn.... :lol:

Just because he won’t invest doesn’t mean he’s not worth £3.1b. FFP rules will also stop Newcastle’s prospective new owners pouring in billions.....

Pretty sure Ashley has Newcastle profitable (latest accounts overdue) so new owners would be able to spend quite a bit and still comply with FFP

Just because he won’t invest doesn’t mean he’s not worth £3.1b. FFP rules will also stop Newcastle’s prospective new owners pouring in billions.....

But he is not worth 3.1bn. He ownly owned which wasn t worth anything close to that amount so I have no idea where they got that figure from

People who have their main business forcibly expropriated by the state tend not to be worth billions.

Pretty sure Ashley has Newcastle profitable (latest accounts overdue) so new owners would be able to spend quite a bit and still comply with FFP

Probably will have the same spending capacity as Everton have done the last 3 years, worked well for them.

Probably will have the same spending capacity as Everton have done the last 3 years, worked well for them.

Can't even remember who the manager is now at Everton, it changes so often. They must be on their 5th or 6th since they got the megabucks, none of them have done particularly well. Still with their totally toxic fans it's no surprise. Must be about the worst fans in football, probably always being in the shadow of their neighbours has something to do with it.

An exclusive from the Star? That rag shouldn’t even be included with other papers, many of which are dreadful and full of bs. But they take it to a different level . Beggars belief what fckwits would buy that paper.

Prob get Ashley in as the new man with his new millions...least he spent 40m on a striker...(not a good one mind).

I’d have Ashley every day of the week if it was a toss up between him and Gao.

I’d have Ashley every day of the week if it was a toss up between him and Gao.

I'd think Ashley has about had his dose of football ownership. Unless you have money that grows on trees it's become a bit of a mug's game in the higher echelons. Fans expect far,far too much and whine whatever you do. The more you spend without getting the results they think they deserve, the more they moan.

Edited by Window Cleaner

As if the current situation isn’t depressing enough, we have a rubbish owner trying sell our club off on the cheap at a time when even the least shrewd business person is unlikely to want to risk £200m on a failing enterprise that’s not generating income. In the words of an old blues song, If we didn’t have bad luck, we’d have no luck at all!

As if the current situation isn’t depressing enough, we have a rubbish owner trying sell our club off on the cheap at a time when even the least shrewd business person is unlikely to want to risk £200m on a failing enterprise that’s not generating income. In the words of an old blues song, If we didn’t have bad luck, we’d have no luck at all!

And you know all this because the great investigative publication, Daily Star says so? I have no idea what the truth is, but I would bet neither does the Star.

To be honest I haven't missed football as much as I though I would have when the shut was first announced.

You actually believe this rubbish???

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

And you know all this because the great investigative publication, Daily Star says so? I have no idea what the truth is, but I would bet neither does the Star.

To be honest I haven't missed football as much as I though I would have when the shut was first announced.

I have missed it so much, which truly shows how I am in love with it.

I know nothing. Nor does the Star. Nor does any other rag. I’ve missed football and I’ll miss the wasted money spent on the ST I’ll likely not use again this season. But it all pales into insignificance when placed against the issues some are facing with CV-19, hence my somewhat cryptic post.

A story about a takeover of Premier club on a thread about a Premier club for sale.

Hope that's ok with you!

I just don't understand what point you're trying to make in reference to the saints takeover? You've just dropped a link to Amnesty International and Qatar protesting the Saudi takeover of Newcastle? whats the bearing on ourselves? I'm not having a go at you, i just don't understand what you're trying to say?

I just don't understand what point you're trying to make in reference to the saints takeover? You've just dropped a link to Amnesty International and Qatar protesting the Saudi takeover of Newcastle? whats the bearing on ourselves? I'm not having a go at you, i just don't understand what you're trying to say?

If you've read any of this thread you'll see Newcastle have been mentioned many times.

Just adding to it!

• 2 weeks later...
An American-based company has held talks to buy Gao Jisheng's majority share of Southampton, but the coronavirus pandemic has held up discussions.

The group has shown interest in purchasing the Chinese businessman's 80 per cent controlling stake, which he put up for sale earlier this year.

They have been described to Sky Sports News as the only serious player in a potential takeover, following interest from more than two parties.

However, it is understood those talks have been disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic and a deal is not close to being agreed.

Previous owner Katharina Liebherr, who sits on the board and retains a 20 per cent stake, is said to have been actively involved in discussions.

The Swiss national sold her controlling stake in the Saints to Jisheng in 2017 for a reported sum of £210m, having inherited the club from her father Markus in 2010.

Jisheng now values this share at £250m, according to reports.

Last June, he told the Financial Times that there were "no problems" with his financial situation, amid reports his Lander Sports Group had suffered losses.

"I am not treating Southampton as a pig to be fattened and sold," he said. "I am treating it as a child.

"But my children must believe they cannot depend on the boss. I have said to Southampton: 'I am now your father. But I am putting you on the right track - you need to feed yourself'."

Southampton have undergone considerable change in personnel during Jisheng's ownership; including three new managers; Mauricio Pellegrino, Mark Hughes and Ralph Hasenhuttl.

Long-standing vice-chairman Les Reed left to join the FA in 2018, while Matt Crocker recently moved in the opposite direction to replace Ross Wilson as director of football operations, following his move to Rangers.

Last week, Sky Sports News reported that the Saints were cracking on with the summer transfer priorities despite the potential for the club to be sold and the uncertainty over when football will return.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11981915/coronavirus-disrupts-southampton-sale-talks-over-gao-jisheng-majority-share

Edited by SuperSAINT