The Sunday Times - Southampton put up for sale at £250m

The Odd Guy

Yeah, how dare he. He was such a disaster. :?

Cortese was the only person in years, in the upper echelons of the club, to actually have any ambition and he managed to spend wisely. They would identify the right target, put in a sensible bid, negotiate hard and acquire them.

Playing devil's advocate... we did better after he left than whilst he was here. Tadic, Pelle, Mane, van Dijk, Koeman etc all signed after Cortese left the club.

Cortese was the only person in years, in the upper echelons of the club, to actually have any ambition and he managed to spend wisely. They would identify the right target, put in a sensible bid, negotiate hard and acquire them.

This current joker has sent us back about 5 years after asset stripping us and perceives the value of the club has gone up by 40 million. No person in their right mind would buy us at that price

His job was made a lot easier by us being in the lower leagues especially league 1 where we were a big fish with a fair amount of money. No chance of saints buying two of the leagues top scorers in one season (Lambert and Barnard) while we in the PL even if we had the money we don't have the kudos as a club at this level to do that. In the end the best thing Nic nak did was buy league ones top scorer for a league record fee.

His job was made a lot easier by us being in the lower leagues especially league 1 where we were a big fish with a fair amount of money. No chance of saints buying two of the leagues top scorers in one season (Lambert and Barnard) while we in the PL even if we had the money we don't have the kudos as a club at this level to do that. In the end the best thing Nic nak did was buy league ones top scorer for a league record fee.

And José fonte from the league above.

This current joker has sent us back about 5 years after asset stripping us and perceives the value of the club has gone up by 40 million. No person in their right mind would buy us at that price

NC had oodles of cash to play with in a lower league, and spent pretty much whatever he wanted to. The latter part is what cost him his job. He was able to bring in players too good for our level, hence we achieved what we did. Essentially, we were the PSG of league 1.

Re asset stripping, just look at the accounts, please. We spend what we have, there's nothing being stripped out. I get that he's not sinking money into the club, but let's not go the other way and accuse him of stripping money out.

Like you, I hope that we get an owner willing to throw money at us without expecting it back, but people willing to do that are few and far between.

So what would people like as our next owner

A) Shady Russian, mates with Putin, lots of money.

B) Arab sheik with lots and lots of money

C) Soft drink company with money

D) local lad with love for the club but not that much money

E) dodgy foreigner owner with much less money than promised

F) American owners buying the club through loans put on the club

G) Hedge fund group flogging of the stadium to raise funds

H) Fan owned consortium not a pot to **** in

I) Good old fashioned British businessman with nice a side line in cheap sports wear or rubber cocks

A-C (they are all shady) or the Brentford type with analysis behind player buys and a strong academy with a good manager.

It's going to be complicated by the 80/20 ownership, state of the current squad and current wage to revenue ratio.

If Goa wants 250m for 80% that means a full takeover would cost c300m. Think we will struggle to find a buyer at that price

Redbull Saints.....

That's wrong. Gao will want his £200m back plus Kat's (20%) £50m = £250m

It's probably fake news. The world's financial markets are in turmoil right now with the uncertainty over Covid 19 and the newly unleashed oil war between the Saudi's and the USA shale gas producers but both issues will be resolved within a year so any sensible investor will sit tight until the storm passes. Panic selling will ensure only that any seller of assets will lose out heavily.

I fear a long drawn out stalemate in which nothing will be done and no policy clarified. It could go on for a few years, other sales eg Newcastle have taken time and our attraction to buyers will fall. I am not normally pessimistic but I am on this one, not that many folk have £250million spare cash--and that would only be for starters.

It's probably fake news. The world's financial markets are in turmoil right now with the uncertainty over Covid 19 and the newly unleashed oil war between the Saudi's and the USA shale gas producers but both issues will be resolved within a year so any sensible investor will sit tight until the storm passes. Panic selling will ensure only that any seller of assets will lose out heavily.

Things were hardly great in 2009 either but for some this could be seen as an opportunity. Perhaps Gao will want cash quick and be willing to sell to a relatively low bidder. All hypothetical but the financial situation is not necessarily doom and gloom.

None of that would necessarily make the story false.

Things were hardly great in 2009 either but for some this could be seen as an opportunity. Perhaps Gao will want cash quick and be willing to sell to a relatively low bidder. All hypothetical but the financial situation is not necessarily doom and gloom.

I) Good old fashioned British businessman with nice a side line in cheap sports wear or rubber cocks

Filthy rich Arab on an ego trip please.

This is going to take a loooooong time. We'll still be for sale this time nest year.

Agree. Going to take a while for the penny to drop and Goa to realise that nobody will pay his asking price. What the news does suggest is that Goa is unlikely to do anything but the bare minimum in the transfer market (i.e. no fullbacks in winter windows) and will drastically limit his exposure to the club while waiting for that elusive buyer.

Edited by shurlock

Agree. Going to take a while for the penny to drop and Goa to realise that nobody will pay his asking price. What the news does suggest is that Goa is unlikely to do anything but the bare minimum in the transfer market (i.e. no fullbacks in winter windows) and will drastically limit his exposure to the club while waiting for that elusive buyer.

I think you'll find the full back issue was resolved when Ralph saw Vokins play in a game against Huddersfield in the FA Cup :lol:

If he takes too long accepting a bid we could well be a Championship team or worse still back in League One before finding a buyer. By then the club will be worth even less than what he thinks it is worth right now. Then it will be even harder to sell if he refuses to budge on his price. This could drag on for ages and end very badly unless there really are some seriously interested buyers already waiting in the wings right now.

If he takes too long accepting a bid we could well be a Championship team or worse still back in League One before finding a buyer. By then the club will be worth even less than what he thinks it is worth right now. Then it will be even harder to sell if he refuses to budge on his price. This could drag on for ages and end very badly unless there really are some seriously interested buyers already waiting in the wings right now.

I dont disagree with you .... but would Gao really turn down a sensible offer ? I know the figure of £250 million for 80% has been quoted as his asking price but hopefully that is the starting point for negotiations.

When you put it like that...!

I don't mind someone buying the club as an investment, and would prefer that to someone who just wants to spend like Man City have done, as I just don't agree with that approach. It would be nice to have someone who at least allows us to spend some of the money we make by virtue of being a Premier League club (as well as the players we have sold). I like the idea of us being 'self sustainable' but it feels like we have been taking the cheap route for some time. Yes, I know we have paid too much for players and are paying silly money to others, but most clubs can say that, and most clubs haven't sold players like we have.

If a new owner was a roll of the dice I'd say we're probably on a 2 or 3 at the moment - it certainly could be worse with a lunatic in charge like Hull or Charlton have, but equally there isn't much to feel lucky about with Mr Gao.

F).

Just get Heisenbeg batman and Mr X in. They know everything about running a club, buying top players for peanuts, selling deadwood at a premium. They would also be able to help ralph with tactics and also the marketing team to make us less of an embarrassment.

Heisy must have $300M stashed away by now with all those bets he wins each week.

Playing devil's advocate... we did better after he left than whilst he was here. Tadic, Pelle, Mane, van Dijk, Koeman etc all signed after Cortese left the club.
Scouted and identified by the team Cortese put in place.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk