Norwich v Saints Build up Thread

John Boy Saint

I suppose we had better shuffle on to the next one Boys and Girls.

Despite their lowly position this is no walk over, not that we walk over teams anymore, they certainly have some fire in the belly for their seemingly futile fight to stay in the league.

Hoping it’s one of those topsy turvy entertaining games which have popped up in the past between us, as I get to tick another ground off my list.

Generally enjoyed my trips to Norwich over the years but I don't remember winning many there, 2-0 league one and the 5-4 win in 94, don't remember any others and can't see us winning this either, will go for 1-1 , they have looked good in recent games so I'd take a point.

Armstrong back for Djenepo, drop Boufal as well.

Must win. Probably won’t but need Armstrong back to give us a chance. Ings really needs to start finding the net again or his England spot is in jeopardy. At the moment it looks like DCL and Greenwood could be ahead of him, as Southgate likes the younger player. I still think we are one win from safety though we appear to be limping over the line.

McCarthy

KWP, Stephens, Bednarek, Bertrand

Hoj, JWP,

Boufal, Armstrong,

Ings, Adams

Same team I'd go for.

I think that Valery is actually quite a good prospect as a rwb but doesn't have the positioning to play in a back 4. Give Walker-Peters a chance.

No chance Adams will start but I'd like to see it.

Villa and Palace away were as comfortable as could be

Ok, we've had isolated comfortable wins but the suggestion was that we used to regularly walk over opponents and that simply isn't the case. I've been a Saints fan since 1975 and in all that time, apart from a couple of purple patches it's been year after year of struggle. I really don't understand why people expect anything different.

A lot depends on fitness. If Armstrong is out, probably play JWP with Boufal and Smallbone with Hojbjerg, assuming Smallbone's recovered. Or give Adams a chance at #10.

If Armstrong is ok, just a question of the RB choice - Valery (most likely unless it's decided his fitness isn't back) KWP or JWP with Smallbone DM.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

A lot depends on fitness. If Armstrong is out, probably play JWP with Boufal and Smallbone with Hojbjerg, assuming Smallbone's recovered. Or give Adams a chance at #10.

If Armstrong is ok, just a question of the RB choice - Valery (most likely unless it's decided his fitness isn't back) KWP or JWP with Smallbone DM.

:lol:

No way should Val be rewarded for a ghastly error with another start. RH has always stated that when youngsters get a chance they should take it or pay the price (words to that effect), so he needs dropping. However, I am wondering if RH is the messiah everyone believes anyway?

No way should Val be rewarded for a ghastly error with another start. RH has always stated that when youngsters get a chance they should take it or pay the price (words to that effect), so he needs dropping. However, I am wondering if RH is the messiah everyone believes anyway?
I doubt KWP would have done any better against Saint-Maximin. To be frank, it's just a toss-up between those two unless Ralph (in whom I do trust) reverts to our best RB at present, who is JWP.

But that depletes us in midfield which we can ill afford with Redmond and Djenepo out and Boufal not creating much. I hope Smallbone will be back as he's showed promise. And obviously we desperately need Armstrong.

Depending on fitness and availability, I'd like to see

McCarthy

Valery/KWP Stephens Bednarek Bertrand

Smallbone Hojbjerg

Armstrong JWP

Long Ings

Boufal, Adams, Romeu, Gunn, Obafemi, Valery/KWP, Vestergaard

Valery deserves everything he gets for his poor judgement as he had plenty of time to clear rather than try and pull the ball down with Maxima bearing down on him. However the much bigger culprit is Stephens, who was ball watching and instead of dropping in behind Valery on the cover ended up with a too little too late lunge and didn't get there. When the ball was played up by Newcastle we had eight players picking up three one of them Maxima who set off from within the centre circle. Our defending was hopeless, Stephens had plenty of time to help Valery out and the other six could have picked up the other two runners.

My point is I wouldn't destroy Valery now by dropping him, I'd give him another go. He won't be doing that again. What I would do is make the team watch that goal over and over again.

Valery has the potential to be a solid midtable Prem right back, we should stick with him as if he improves then we won't need to spend money in that position.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I don't see it. I see a kid with a hot head, poor positional sense, poor judgement and no strength.

Needs a few seasons in the lower leagues.

My point is I wouldn't destroy Valery now by dropping him, I'd give him another go. He won't be doing that again. What I would do is make the team watch that goal over and over again.

Expensive way to learn a lesson, but I thought he was better than ok going forward and I agree. He didn't need to be told he'd made a mistake and nor did Djenepo.

Norwich have a huge incentive to win this one and have improved of late. great win over Spurs after HT will give them a boost. Right now we are in a mess; even with players coming back we have lost our rhythm through all the enforced changes and have siloed back into sloppy habits at the back. Sadly, I cannot see past a defeat and probably 2-0.

I wouldn't play Valery in this game and I don't see him as Premier League right back either. He simply is not good enough defensively and has massive errors in judgement or mistakes that mostly lead to goals.

I would start KWP, as I think is a more sold option and he isn't playing against a physical type of team in Norwich. I personally think Valery would make a good right winger, as he is very good going forward and has a decent delivery. With Djenpo and Redmond out, might be a shout playing him right wing and Armstrong left wing. He'll probably start Boufal on the right and Armstrong on the left though.

We don’t do draws this season and frankly if we were to draw this, it would be almost as bad psychologically as a defeat. I think we are as poor as Norwich have been at the moment and so the winner of this game will be the team that has the best manager...i.e. the best tactician who is able to utilise his weak squad to the best advantage.

Norwich have home advantage and to be fair their fans can whip up some decent noise. I’m not particularly confident our players have enough fight in them to produce a winning performance. Would love us to produce a convincing win, but with injuries and at the mercy of underperforming players (Valery, Stephens, Boufal, Djenepo, Long, Adams and lately to some extent Ings) I predict a 2-1 loss.

This is definitely not going to be a walkover. Who ever wants it most will win.Norwich are just as vulnerable as we are at times and we must take advantage of that.An early Saints goal will open them up and we have to take the initiative if we really want those three points.Therefore I'm going to stick my neck out and predict a slim win for Saints.I live in hope.

With a COBRA meeting scheduled for lunchtime today it looks increasingly like this weekend's matches will be suspended. If that happens it will be several months without football unless they do it behind closed doors.

They won't be suspended, the rest of the season will be played behind closed doors.

With a COBRA meeting scheduled for lunchtime today it looks increasingly like this weekend's matches will be suspended. If that happens it will be several months without football unless they do it behind closed doors.

How have you come to that conclusion? The media are talking about behind closed doors games at the moment, not suspending the season.

They won't be suspended, the rest of the season will be played behind closed doors.
Until the PFA get involved. The Spanish players' union made the case that if playing matches was a risk for supporters, then why are the players being asked to put themselves at the same risk? And now La Liga has shut down.

A Juventus player - Rugani - has just tested positive. All his teammates and opponents he's been in contact with in the last fortnight are now at risk. Serie A has shut down. The Olympiacos chairman testing positive has led to the postponement of Arsenal's game yesterday (because they were exposed last week) and Wolves pleading (unsuccessfully - on their conscience be it) with UEFA to postpone their match in Greece today. This is the tip of the iceberg.

Once clubs and/or players refuse to play, a shut down is inevitable. It should've happened already.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Until the PFA get involved. The Spanish players' union made the case that if playing matches was a risk for supporters, then why are the players being asked to put themselves at the same risk? And now La Liga has shut down.

Interacting with a relatively small number teammates and opponents is very different to walking around concourses and sitting in the stands in close proximity to thousands of people are very different things.

Interacting with a relatively small number teammates and opponents is very different to walking around concourses and sitting in the stands in close proximity to thousands of people are very different things.
Be sure to open with that when you explain to the families of any players or staff who contract the virus why they had to be unnecessarily exposed to it.

A Juventus player - Rugani - has just tested positive. All his teammates and opponents he's been in contact with in the last fortnight are now at risk. Serie A has shut down. The Olympiacos chairman testing positive has led to the postponement of Arsenal's game yesterday (because they were exposed last week) and Wolves pleading (unsuccessfully - on their conscience be it) with UEFA to postpone their match in Greece today. This is the tip of the iceberg.

Once clubs and/or players refuse to play, a shut down is inevitable. It should've happened already.

Another panicker.....

Ok then if footballers can’t play football food transporters can’t go to work and neither can shop workers or nurses and doctors and electricity supply workers etc etc etc etc ...

Then everyone starved to death, will you be satisfied then! Get a grip for Christ sake!

Another panicker.....

Ok then if footballers can’t play football food transporters can’t go to work and neither can shop workers or nurses and doctors and electricity supply workers etc etc etc etc ...

Then everyone starved to death, will you be satisfied then! Get a grip for Christ sake!

To be fair you're equating entertainers with essential service workers.

Well if we're postponing games, when do they get played? When the virus is less of a problem? That might not be until well into 2021.

I meant, what practical difference would playing behind closed doors make to the spread of the virus.

If crowds are banned from the games this Saturday then many of them will travel anyway or chooses another outside activity.

To be fair you're equating entertainers with essential service workers.

Yes I am ‘equating’

How can you say certain people can work because they are ‘essential’ but it’s perfectly fine for others not to work....

There is no logic to this...Let alone fairness.

Everyone should work until or if they are ill or tested positive at this stage of the spread.

A person working in Tescos is just as ’essential’ as anyone else. See how long you last without food!

You cannot discriminate or act as God over who is ’essential’

The mechanic that maintains the lorry that drives the food to your shop etc etc Where does this end.... ?

Premier League teams meeting this morning to discuss postponing all games until the international break. Seems optimistic to me.

Leicester, Chelsea, Arsenal and Watford all have players in isolation because of this. Brighton v Arsenal has already been postponed.

At least we might have Redmond back available when this game finally gets played!