Over 70's Isolation

spyinthesky

As some of you younger posters are pouring bile on older posters who don't want to be marooned at home what

punishment do you want to inflict on them if they do go out? Also what about the young people who know that they

have the virus but who insist on going out anyway knowing that they will pass it on to healthy people? Perhaps they

should have their phones and iPads taken away as surely that isn't any different from being ordered to stay indoors.

Judging by the videos and photos that I have seen from the UK it would seem that there are moronic selfish people of

all ages.

As some of you younger posters are pouring bile on older posters who don't want to be marooned at home what

punishment do you want to inflict on them if they do go out? Also what about the young people who know that they

have the virus but who insist on going out anyway knowing that they will pass it on to healthy people? Perhaps they

should have their phones and iPads taken away as surely that isn't any different from being ordered to stay indoors.

Judging by the videos and photos that I have seen from the UK it would seem that there are moronic selfish people of

all ages.

I get the impression that the reasons for social distancing, self isolation and protection of the most vulnerable has completely gone over your head. This isn't some case of younger generations ganging up to pick on older ones, this is people trying to avoid too many people in vulnerable categories getting infected and needing medical help at the same time. All age groups are being advised to stay safely distant from others. This isn't a personal conspiracy, it's society finding the best way to cope with a new problem. An out of control infection rate, expecially among the vulnerable is the main enemy now, so we are all being encouraged to combat that.

And yes, there are idiots of all ages, but all we can do is not be one of those idiots and try to stick to the precautions.

“It’s about being sensible” says Transport Secretary Grant Shapps on plans to ask elderly to self-isolate

Suggests activities like taking the dog out for a walk will be ok

Advice likely to last for months

Phew. Whitey can get his MOT after all.

I won't be taking advice from a proven con-artist such as the Rt Dishon Grant Shapps (or whatever he calls himself these days) thankyou very much.

I won't be taking advice from a proven con-artist such as the Rt Dishon Grant Shapps (or whatever he calls himself these days) thankyou very much.

do think he just come up with that advice himself?

clearly you do, which is very strange.

I'm one of the over seventies social distancing. Primarily I stay at least a couple of yards away from other people. This is happening when I pick the paper up or get petrol etc. I play golf at 0630 most mornings, just the three of us and greenkeepers on a three hundred acre course, good exercise. The golf club is being pro active, social golf only. Further more and I think it is now a general practice recommended by the EGU I think, No rakes in bunkers, No hand shakes etc, keep well apart and the clever bit, the cups now protrude a couple of inches above the surface and hitting the cup counts as in the hole so no need to handle the flag.

Mobile phones allowed to phone in to the clubhouse for tea, food etc either brought out onto the terrace where the tables are miles apart or as this morning three of us in an empty clubhouse, checked when I phoned after finishing. Loads of sanitisers, normal washing, the surfaces washed down after every use. Everybody I saw are being sensible.

Most of the rest of the time I'm at home. I find that this works well for me as far as social distancing goes. Yesterday Dr Rosemary Leonard in her article was recommending exercising and specifically recommended golf.

I'd rather be marooned at home than here!

This is not the flu!

The scary thing is when they interviewed a doctor from another part of Italy he reckoned we will end up in a worse state because of our current lack of action in social distancing/testing.

You see and this is why people should be forced to self isolate because you get thick idiots like this who are a danger to themselves and others. I've had to deal with so much **** this week and ignorant, know it all British people make my blood boil. If you can't follow very basic guidelines to potentially save your life and the lives of others then do everyone a favour and go jump off the nearest cliff and save everyone from your stupidity. Cretin.

You see and this is why people should be forced to self isolate because you get thick idiots like this who are a danger to themselves and others. I've had to deal with so much **** this week and ignorant, know it all British people make my blood boil. If you can't follow very basic guidelines to potentially save your life and the lives of others then do everyone a favour and go jump off the nearest cliff and save everyone from your stupidity. Cretin.

I read this yesterday, perhaps on here but very apt :

French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner has said “some people think they’re some kind of modern-day hero when they break the rules - but they’re imbeciles, and a danger to themselves”.

Just needs the words "and others" on the end.

Edited by egg

The scary thing is when they interviewed a doctor from another part of Italy he reckoned we will end up in a worse state because of our current lack of action in social distancing/testing.

The UK could see problems because it was a good week behind other Eurpean countries in shutting down gatherings too. A week can make a huge difference when an infection is already spreading fast. I have no idea if it will have an effect, but it seemed there was a long between it becoming obvious schools, bars etc in the UK would have to close as they had across Europe, and it actually happening. Reading on here though, the UK public response was different. People were more keen to delay the action because they didn't feel ready for the disruption, whereas in the country I live in, the attitude was that the virus was spreading fast, why were the schools, bars still open and public transport unrestricted? It's difficult to be sure of when was the right time to act though and government decisions will be criticised anyway, whether they acted early or late.

This is the big problem that makes it hard to fight a pandemic, using methods that in theory should work very well. The world is full of idiots that wilfully refuse to follow simple guidelines to protect society for the most moronic of reasons.

Unfortunately it is you who has shown yourself to be a thick idiot. I did not say I was not going to self-isolate. I said I would not take advice from a proven con-man, liar and cheat who actually should have been isolated some while ago - in prison.

I WILL take advice from people who are intelligent, trustworthy and know what they are talking about and who have a good knowledge of the available facts.

That obviously excludes you.

I think that anyone trying to score political points during this crisis needs to have a bloody good look at themselves. For once, we are in this all together and we need to act together. Save your political sh1t until things are back to normal.

I ventured out this afternoon to the dump expecting it to be empty !

Surprisingly the queue was much longer than normal but I patiently waited only to find that there was 3 car spacing and it took fecking ages :x

Anyway, it was a day out and made me forget that normally there would have been a live match on the telly, grrr.....

I think that anyone trying to score political points during this crisis needs to have a bloody good look at themselves. For once, we are in this all together and we need to act together. Save your political sh1t until things are back to normal.

Oh my God! They're crawling out of the woodwork now with their self-righteous pontificating and twisting of other people's words. What is political about my comments? Shapps is a crook, period. That is not a political statement, it is a fact.

And my other comments were common sense - take advice from those who KNOW what they are talking about.

Oh my God! They're crawling out of the woodwork now with their self-righteous pontificating and twisting of other people's words. What is political about my comments? Shapps is a crook, period. That is not a political statement, it is a fact.

And my other comments were common sense - take advice from those who KNOW what they are talking about.

Let's assume you're right, what does it matter at this time? I doubt anyone apart from you gives a shiny f*ck about his personality / political views / past / allegations about him etc etc at this time. It's irrelevant.

Get your head out of your arse and look at the bigger picture.

Unfortunately it is you who has shown yourself to be a thick idiot. I did not say I was not going to self-isolate. I said I would not take advice from a proven con-man, liar and cheat who actually should have been isolated some while ago - in prison.

I WILL take advice from people who are intelligent, trustworthy and know what they are talking about and who have a good knowledge of the available facts.

That obviously excludes you.

I think I'm the only one who read your post as you intended.

Went for a walk at Mottisfont today which was pretty busy. Quite a few over 65s wandering around too which didn't impress my other half.

Being out in the fresh air is not a problem as long as you keep your distance from passers by, in fact pretty much all golf courses are open subject to distancing rules, not touching flags etc.. (clubhouse facilities are off limits thought).

IMHO sitting on your arse in front of the telly is no substitute for a bit of exercise and this applies to oldies as much as anyone !

Let's assume you're right, what does it matter at this time? I doubt anyone apart from you gives a shiny f*ck about his personality / political views / past / allegations about him etc etc at this time. It's irrelevant.

Get your head out of your arse and look at the bigger picture.

OK. You're right. I thought it was I who was looking at the bigger picture but instead I will wait to hear what the Minister of Transport with a PROVEN history of lying and cheating tells me to do and then go along with that as the way to lead my life henceforward.

I will rely on what he tells me to do rather than listen to people who know what they are talking about.

Thankyou for correcting me on this.

In the meantime I support to the hilt his proposal for saving the air industry during this crisis by re-introducing the art of sky-writing. That was pure genius!

Went past it earlier and it’s now shut. They were letting everyone in for free!

I don't think the letting everyone in for free thing really happened in the end. They announced it to start, but the parks were all closed after maybe a day.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone else received a phone call from Saints checking up that their over 70s fans are OK. I am OK but it could have been a welcome call for anyone who lived alone. Well done Saints

Yes, I had a phone call on Monday. James, who normally works in the ticket office but was calling from his home, was checking that I am okay and asking if I needed any help. Nice touch by Saints to use their employees in this way.

Yes, I had a phone call on Monday. James, who normally works in the ticket office but was calling from his home, was checking that I am okay and asking if I needed any help. Nice touch by Saints to use their employees in this way.

That is nice. Good stuff.

Has anyone else received a phone call from Saints checking up that their over 70s fans are OK. I am OK but it could have been a welcome call for anyone who lived alone. Well done Saints
Yes. Had the call a couple of days ago. I'm fine, but it's good to see Saints doing this.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
According to some press reports the over 70's may have to self isolate for up to 12 months or until a vaccine is found.

The Chapel Kop will be deserted when games re start.

Good time to relocate the Northam Massive?

Won't happen although it may well be "recommended". Would be challenged in the courts and deemed unconstitutional as likely as not.

According to some press reports the over 70's may have to self isolate for up to 12 months or until a vaccine is found.

The Chapel Kop will be deserted when games re start.

Good time to relocate the Northam Massive?

It would have a massive impact on football attendances full stop. Though I don't see how it could ever be law.....

The Chapel Kop will be deserted when games re start

....and the Kingsland and half the Itchen...it's gonna hit SFC attendances hard - shame they didn't do more to encourage younger fans in the past like other clubs.

Isn't that self evident anyway. Even in the most optimistic of forecasts it'll be the middle of 2021 at least before a vaccine is available and in sufficient quantity for enough people in the over 70 age groups to be vaccinated. Even that assumes that the current research discovers an effective vaccine.

Govt propaganda at the start of the Great War was to spread the belief that "it will all be over by Christmas", to keep people's morale high and to encourage enough idiots to volunteer for active service. Right now it is best to assume that HMG's propaganda on vaccine research will be publicised for exactly the same reasons.

No right thinking over-70 - and there are 8.8 million of them - is going to venture outside unless or until an effective vaccine does emerge, so the idea that self isolation will be an imposition is wrong. Many in that group will feel that it is there only hope of staying alive long enough to see it through.

Isn't that self evident anyway. Even in the most optimistic of forecasts it'll be the middle of 2021 at least before a vaccine is available and in sufficient quantity for enough people in the over 70 age groups to be vaccinated. Even that assumes that the current research discovers an effective vaccine.

Govt propaganda at the start of the Great War was to spread the belief that "it will all be over by Christmas", to keep people's morale high and to encourage enough idiots to volunteer for active service. Right now it is best to assume that HMG's propaganda on vaccine research will be publicised for exactly the same reasons.

No right thinking over-70 - and there are 8.8 million of them - is going to venture outside unless or until an effective vaccine does emerge, so the idea that self isolation will be an imposition is wrong. Many in that group will feel that it is there only hope of staying alive long enough to see it through.

I certainly will be careful and manage where, how and what I do but no bloody government is going to dictate what I can and can't do. I bet there will be millions that feel the same way. As soon as the golf courses are open I'll be back playing but I will be social distancing and avoiding crowds. With our displays over the last few years I don't even think I'll miss ditching my season ticket.