Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 151 to 191 of 191

Thread: Over 70's Isolation

  1. #151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Costco is not to bad but have to be a member. They list at entrance what they have and haven’t got of the scarce items.
    Fuel is 99p a litre at Costco now, one little bit of good news

  2. #152

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,578

    Default

    As some of you younger posters are pouring bile on older posters who don't want to be marooned at home what
    punishment do you want to inflict on them if they do go out? Also what about the young people who know that they
    have the virus but who insist on going out anyway knowing that they will pass it on to healthy people? Perhaps they
    should have their phones and iPads taken away as surely that isn't any different from being ordered to stay indoors.

    Judging by the videos and photos that I have seen from the UK it would seem that there are moronic selfish people of
    all ages.

  3. #153

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,578

    Default

    Look at these blasted irresponsible 70 year olds ... Oh hang on they aren't they is young idiots.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/h1sRend

  4. #154

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    31,346
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint in Paradise View Post
    Look at these blasted irresponsible 70 year olds ... Oh hang on they aren't they is young idiots.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/h1sRend
    Where has there been any suggestion that there aren't some selfish irresponsible idiots who are young?

  5. #155

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint in Paradise View Post
    As some of you younger posters are pouring bile on older posters who don't want to be marooned at home what
    punishment do you want to inflict on them if they do go out? Also what about the young people who know that they
    have the virus but who insist on going out anyway knowing that they will pass it on to healthy people? Perhaps they
    should have their phones and iPads taken away as surely that isn't any different from being ordered to stay indoors.

    Judging by the videos and photos that I have seen from the UK it would seem that there are moronic selfish people of
    all ages.
    I get the impression that the reasons for social distancing, self isolation and protection of the most vulnerable has completely gone over your head. This isn't some case of younger generations ganging up to pick on older ones, this is people trying to avoid too many people in vulnerable categories getting infected and needing medical help at the same time. All age groups are being advised to stay safely distant from others. This isn't a personal conspiracy, it's society finding the best way to cope with a new problem. An out of control infection rate, expecially among the vulnerable is the main enemy now, so we are all being encouraged to combat that.

    And yes, there are idiots of all ages, but all we can do is not be one of those idiots and try to stick to the precautions.

  6. #156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint in Paradise View Post
    older posters who don't want to be marooned at home
    I'd rather be marooned at home than here!



    This is not the flu!

  7. #157

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ONE FOOT IN
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    “It’s about being sensible” says Transport Secretary Grant Shapps on plans to ask elderly to self-isolate

    Suggests activities like taking the dog out for a walk will be ok

    Advice likely to last for months


    Phew. Whitey can get his MOT after all.

    I won't be taking advice from a proven con-artist such as the Rt Dishon Grant Shapps (or whatever he calls himself these days) thankyou very much.

  8. #158

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I won't be taking advice from a proven con-artist such as the Rt Dishon Grant Shapps (or whatever he calls himself these days) thankyou very much.
    do think he just come up with that advice himself?
    clearly you do, which is very strange.

  9. #159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I won't be taking advice from a proven con-artist such as the Rt Dishon Grant Shapps (or whatever he calls himself these days) thankyou very much.
    Do you think he is trying to con you to self isolate? For what purpose?

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    I'd rather be marooned at home than here!



    This is not the flu!
    Oh my days, that's horrendous. Chilling.

  11. #161

    Default

    I'm one of the over seventies social distancing. Primarily I stay at least a couple of yards away from other people. This is happening when I pick the paper up or get petrol etc. I play golf at 0630 most mornings, just the three of us and greenkeepers on a three hundred acre course, good exercise. The golf club is being pro active, social golf only. Further more and I think it is now a general practice recommended by the EGU I think, No rakes in bunkers, No hand shakes etc, keep well apart and the clever bit, the cups now protrude a couple of inches above the surface and hitting the cup counts as in the hole so no need to handle the flag.

    Mobile phones allowed to phone in to the clubhouse for tea, food etc either brought out onto the terrace where the tables are miles apart or as this morning three of us in an empty clubhouse, checked when I phoned after finishing. Loads of sanitisers, normal washing, the surfaces washed down after every use. Everybody I saw are being sensible.

    Most of the rest of the time I'm at home. I find that this works well for me as far as social distancing goes. Yesterday Dr Rosemary Leonard in her article was recommending exercising and specifically recommended golf.

  12. #162

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    I'd rather be marooned at home than here!



    This is not the flu!
    The scary thing is when they interviewed a doctor from another part of Italy he reckoned we will end up in a worse state because of our current lack of action in social distancing/testing.

  13. #163

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    31,346
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I won't be taking advice from a proven con-artist such as the Rt Dishon Grant Shapps (or whatever he calls himself these days) thankyou very much.
    You see and this is why people should be forced to self isolate because you get thick idiots like this who are a danger to themselves and others. I've had to deal with so much **** this week and ignorant, know it all British people make my blood boil. If you can't follow very basic guidelines to potentially save your life and the lives of others then do everyone a favour and go jump off the nearest cliff and save everyone from your stupidity. Cretin.

  14. #164

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    You see and this is why people should be forced to self isolate because you get thick idiots like this who are a danger to themselves and others. I've had to deal with so much **** this week and ignorant, know it all British people make my blood boil. If you can't follow very basic guidelines to potentially save your life and the lives of others then do everyone a favour and go jump off the nearest cliff and save everyone from your stupidity. Cretin.
    I read this yesterday, perhaps on here but very apt :

    French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner has said “some people think they’re some kind of modern-day hero when they break the rules - but they’re imbeciles, and a danger to themselves”.

    Just needs the words "and others" on the end.
    Last edited by egg; 20-03-2020 at 09:17 PM.

  15. #165

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    The scary thing is when they interviewed a doctor from another part of Italy he reckoned we will end up in a worse state because of our current lack of action in social distancing/testing.
    The UK could see problems because it was a good week behind other Eurpean countries in shutting down gatherings too. A week can make a huge difference when an infection is already spreading fast. I have no idea if it will have an effect, but it seemed there was a long between it becoming obvious schools, bars etc in the UK would have to close as they had across Europe, and it actually happening. Reading on here though, the UK public response was different. People were more keen to delay the action because they didn't feel ready for the disruption, whereas in the country I live in, the attitude was that the virus was spreading fast, why were the schools, bars still open and public transport unrestricted? It's difficult to be sure of when was the right time to act though and government decisions will be criticised anyway, whether they acted early or late.

  16. #166

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I won't be taking advice from a proven con-artist such as the Rt Dishon Grant Shapps (or whatever he calls himself these days) thankyou very much.
    This is the big problem that makes it hard to fight a pandemic, using methods that in theory should work very well. The world is full of idiots that wilfully refuse to follow simple guidelines to protect society for the most moronic of reasons.

  17. #167

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ONE FOOT IN
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    You see and this is why people should be forced to self isolate because you get thick idiots like this who are a danger to themselves and others. I've had to deal with so much **** this week and ignorant, know it all British people make my blood boil. If you can't follow very basic guidelines to potentially save your life and the lives of others then do everyone a favour and go jump off the nearest cliff and save everyone from your stupidity. Cretin.
    Unfortunately it is you who has shown yourself to be a thick idiot. I did not say I was not going to self-isolate. I said I would not take advice from a proven con-man, liar and cheat who actually should have been isolated some while ago - in prison.

    I WILL take advice from people who are intelligent, trustworthy and know what they are talking about and who have a good knowledge of the available facts.

    That obviously excludes you.

  18. #168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I won't be taking advice from a proven con-artist such as the Rt Dishon Grant Shapps (or whatever he calls himself these days) thankyou very much.
    I think that anyone trying to score political points during this crisis needs to have a bloody good look at themselves. For once, we are in this all together and we need to act together. Save your political sh1t until things are back to normal.

  19. #169

    Default

    "The taverns are fair full of gadabouts making merry this eve. And though I may press my face against the window like an urchin at a confectioner’s, I am tempted not by the sweetmeats within. A dram in exchange for the pox is an ill bargain indeed."
    Samuel Pepys

  20. #170

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)
    Posts
    4,692

    Default

    I ventured out this afternoon to the dump expecting it to be empty !
    Surprisingly the queue was much longer than normal but I patiently waited only to find that there was 3 car spacing and it took fecking ages
    Anyway, it was a day out and made me forget that normally there would have been a live match on the telly, grrr.....

  21. #171

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ONE FOOT IN
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miserableoldgit View Post
    I think that anyone trying to score political points during this crisis needs to have a bloody good look at themselves. For once, we are in this all together and we need to act together. Save your political sh1t until things are back to normal.
    Oh my God! They're crawling out of the woodwork now with their self-righteous pontificating and twisting of other people's words. What is political about my comments? Shapps is a crook, period. That is not a political statement, it is a fact.

    And my other comments were common sense - take advice from those who KNOW what they are talking about.

  22. #172

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Oh my God! They're crawling out of the woodwork now with their self-righteous pontificating and twisting of other people's words. What is political about my comments? Shapps is a crook, period. That is not a political statement, it is a fact.

    And my other comments were common sense - take advice from those who KNOW what they are talking about.
    Let's assume you're right, what does it matter at this time? I doubt anyone apart from you gives a shiny f*ck about his personality / political views / past / allegations about him etc etc at this time. It's irrelevant.

    Get your head out of your arse and look at the bigger picture.

  23. #173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Unfortunately it is you who has shown yourself to be a thick idiot. I did not say I was not going to self-isolate. I said I would not take advice from a proven con-man, liar and cheat who actually should have been isolated some while ago - in prison.

    I WILL take advice from people who are intelligent, trustworthy and know what they are talking about and who have a good knowledge of the available facts.

    That obviously excludes you.
    I think I'm the only one who read your post as you intended.

  24. #174

    Default

    Went for a walk at Mottisfont today which was pretty busy. Quite a few over 65s wandering around too which didn't impress my other half.

  25. #175

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)
    Posts
    4,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Went for a walk at Mottisfont today which was pretty busy. Quite a few over 65s wandering around too which didn't impress my other half.
    Being out in the fresh air is not a problem as long as you keep your distance from passers by, in fact pretty much all golf courses are open subject to distancing rules, not touching flags etc.. (clubhouse facilities are off limits thought).
    IMHO sitting on your arse in front of the telly is no substitute for a bit of exercise and this applies to oldies as much as anyone !

  26. #176

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ONE FOOT IN
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Let's assume you're right, what does it matter at this time? I doubt anyone apart from you gives a shiny f*ck about his personality / political views / past / allegations about him etc etc at this time. It's irrelevant.

    Get your head out of your arse and look at the bigger picture.
    OK. You're right. I thought it was I who was looking at the bigger picture but instead I will wait to hear what the Minister of Transport with a PROVEN history of lying and cheating tells me to do and then go along with that as the way to lead my life henceforward.
    I will rely on what he tells me to do rather than listen to people who know what they are talking about.

    Thankyou for correcting me on this.

    In the meantime I support to the hilt his proposal for saving the air industry during this crisis by re-introducing the art of sky-writing. That was pure genius!

  27. #177

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    John 3:16
    Posts
    2,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Went for a walk at Mottisfont today which was pretty busy. Quite a few over 65s wandering around too which didn't impress my other half.
    Went past it earlier and it’s now shut. They were letting everyone in for free!

  28. #178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    Went past it earlier and it’s now shut. They were letting everyone in for free!
    I don't think the letting everyone in for free thing really happened in the end. They announced it to start, but the parks were all closed after maybe a day.

  29. #179

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,873

    Default

    Car park gates in the New Forest are locked. The forest is not out of bounds but you have to walk there. Good for villagers but not others.

  30. Default

    Has anyone else received a phone call from Saints checking up that their over 70s fans are OK. I am OK but it could have been a welcome call for anyone who lived alone. Well done Saints

  31. #181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St_Tel49 View Post
    Has anyone else received a phone call from Saints checking up that their over 70s fans are OK. I am OK but it could have been a welcome call for anyone who lived alone. Well done Saints
    Yes, I had a phone call on Monday. James, who normally works in the ticket office but was calling from his home, was checking that I am okay and asking if I needed any help. Nice touch by Saints to use their employees in this way.

  32. #182

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    18,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Joan View Post
    Yes, I had a phone call on Monday. James, who normally works in the ticket office but was calling from his home, was checking that I am okay and asking if I needed any help. Nice touch by Saints to use their employees in this way.
    That is nice. Good stuff.

  33. #183

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    7,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St_Tel49 View Post
    Has anyone else received a phone call from Saints checking up that their over 70s fans are OK. I am OK but it could have been a welcome call for anyone who lived alone. Well done Saints
    Yes. Had the call a couple of days ago. I'm fine, but it's good to see Saints doing this.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

  34. #184

    Default

    According to some press reports the over 70's may have to self isolate for up to 12 months or until a vaccine is found.

    The Chapel Kop will be deserted when games re start.

    Good time to relocate the Northam Massive?

  35. #185

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyinthesky View Post
    According to some press reports the over 70's may have to self isolate for up to 12 months or until a vaccine is found.

    The Chapel Kop will be deserted when games re start.

    Good time to relocate the Northam Massive?
    Won't happen although it may well be "recommended". Would be challenged in the courts and deemed unconstitutional as likely as not.

  36. #186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    Won't happen although it may well be "recommended". Would be challenged in the courts and deemed unconstitutional as likely as not.
    The UK does not have a written constitution.

  37. #187

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CHELSEA
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyinthesky View Post
    According to some press reports the over 70's may have to self isolate for up to 12 months or until a vaccine is found.

    The Chapel Kop will be deserted when games re start.

    Good time to relocate the Northam Massive?
    It would have a massive impact on football attendances full stop. Though I don't see how it could ever be law.....

  38. #188

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Fine City of Southampton
    Posts
    3,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyinthesky View Post
    According to some press reports the over 70's may have to self isolate for up to 12 months or until a vaccine is found.

    The Chapel Kop will be deserted when games re start
    ....and the Kingsland and half the Itchen...it's gonna hit SFC attendances hard - shame they didn't do more to encourage younger fans in the past like other clubs.

  39. #189

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyinthesky View Post
    According to some press reports the over 70's may have to self isolate for up to 12 months or until a vaccine is found.
    Isn't that self evident anyway. Even in the most optimistic of forecasts it'll be the middle of 2021 at least before a vaccine is available and in sufficient quantity for enough people in the over 70 age groups to be vaccinated. Even that assumes that the current research discovers an effective vaccine.

    Govt propaganda at the start of the Great War was to spread the belief that "it will all be over by Christmas", to keep people's morale high and to encourage enough idiots to volunteer for active service. Right now it is best to assume that HMG's propaganda on vaccine research will be publicised for exactly the same reasons.

    No right thinking over-70 - and there are 8.8 million of them - is going to venture outside unless or until an effective vaccine does emerge, so the idea that self isolation will be an imposition is wrong. Many in that group will feel that it is there only hope of staying alive long enough to see it through.

  40. #190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Isn't that self evident anyway. Even in the most optimistic of forecasts it'll be the middle of 2021 at least before a vaccine is available and in sufficient quantity for enough people in the over 70 age groups to be vaccinated. Even that assumes that the current research discovers an effective vaccine.

    Govt propaganda at the start of the Great War was to spread the belief that "it will all be over by Christmas", to keep people's morale high and to encourage enough idiots to volunteer for active service. Right now it is best to assume that HMG's propaganda on vaccine research will be publicised for exactly the same reasons.

    No right thinking over-70 - and there are 8.8 million of them - is going to venture outside unless or until an effective vaccine does emerge, so the idea that self isolation will be an imposition is wrong. Many in that group will feel that it is there only hope of staying alive long enough to see it through.
    I certainly will be careful and manage where, how and what I do but no bloody government is going to dictate what I can and can't do. I bet there will be millions that feel the same way. As soon as the golf courses are open I'll be back playing but I will be social distancing and avoiding crowds. With our displays over the last few years I don't even think I'll miss ditching my season ticket.

  41. #191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by derry View Post
    no bloody government is going to dictate what I can and can't do.
    Is this satire?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •