Over 70's Isolation

spyinthesky

Newcastle game could potentially be the last one for me this season (what a highlight to go out on!!!!!!) if the latest media speculation is correct ie over 70's may have to self isolate for weeks, possibly months.

I guess there will be a fair few of us facing that possibility including Roy Hodgson

I would be happy to let the club keep my pro rata season ticket payment if it comes to this but can understand why others may take a different stance

I doubt the league will resume in April. So everyone won't be going to games, not just the over 70s.

As someone who spends most of his time pointing out the blindingly obvious I’m surprised you didn’t mention to the OP that there is already a 10 page thread running on this topic?

I am 73 with a 16yo son and 14yo daughter. It will not be possible for me to self isolate for a long time as wife is invalided now and can't get about except when on her mobility scooter. So many things that as a parent of youthful kids we have to do. For many that idea is a non starter. Specsavers yesterday was as full as normal and with me full of COPD and pulmonary fibrosis as well as being riddled with arthritis you can see why my coughing through exertion caused a modicum of alarm to a couple.

Shopping is never easy but with so many hoarders leaving shops barely able to offer enough I can envisage matters getting much worse. The time taken yesterday to buy a few items was at least twice as long as normal due to lack of goods in shops.

We have a large ranges of ages in our village fortunately and have just set up a WhatsApp group to keep in touch with anyone who needs help. Great too see so many local youngsters offering to help us oldies. Hopefully my fellow oldies on here will get plenty of help from neighbours too.

I know it's a real imposition and hardship but if the choice is literally between dying and staying alive in isolation for four months then surely it's worth the cost? I know it doesn't apply to me but I'm pretty sure I'd just do it if it meant staying alive.

Just been on the road for a while and heard some nut job phone into LBC stating that Boris will have blood on his hands due the amount of suicides he will cause for older people being forced to self isolate...

this is not (apparently) a good move for 'mental health'

this has only just begun!!!

We have a large ranges of ages in our village fortunately and have just set up a WhatsApp group to keep in touch with anyone who needs help. Great too see so many local youngsters offering to help us oldies. Hopefully my fellow oldies on here will get plenty of help from neighbours too.

Watch out they might be trying to rob you.

Over 70s isolation cannot work on so many grounds.

Cars need MOTs, hospital appointments need to be kept, many still need to work, many do important work, some look after other events older people.

No disrespect intended, but they're not reasons why it can't work. Sure it'll be difficult, as it will for all of us, but they're not a bar to isolation working.

My folks are well over 70 and both have acute respiratory issues. They're coming out with similar stuff but are slowly understanding the need for them, and others in society, to do as is required.

No disrespect intended, but they're not reasons why it can't work. Sure it'll be difficult, as it will for all of us, but they're not a bar to isolation working.

My folks are well over 70 and both have acute respiratory issues. They're coming out with similar stuff but are slowly understanding the need for them, and others in society, to do as is required.

I agree with this, having similar tough conversations with my parents who are late 70s but fit and active. The sad fact is that 80% of people will get it. The one thing we can do is manage the pace of that contagion. At its peak the modelling shows there will be six people needing every one ventilator and high dependency bed. If we can elongate the period it will reduce that ratio down and mean more over 70s live. Simple as that.

In an age of online shopping, there really is very little that simply has to be done for a handful of months. Frankly even non urgent hospital appointments will get cancelled so I am not too sure what one needs an MOT for....

There are many more reasons than these. It’s impractical.

Besides, what’s the point? Who are we trying to protect? Why lock yourself away when you might only have a few years left to live?

Might as well kill your self now.

that is ok for most I guess but I must take my 16yo to work the at the stables in the morning and collect him after morning session which can be anywhere from 12.30 to 14.00.Sometimes then back to work from 16.00hrs to maybe 17.30 to feed the yards horses. i hope he can drive soon after his 17th birthday

I agree with this, having similar tough conversations with my parents who are late 70s but fit and active. The sad fact is that 80% of people will get it. The one thing we can do is manage the pace of that contagion. At its peak the modelling shows there will be six people needing every one ventilator and high dependency bed. If we can elongate the period it will reduce that ratio down and mean more over 70s live. Simple as that.

In an age of online shopping, there really is very little that simply has to be done for a handful of months. Frankly even non urgent hospital appointments will get cancelled so I am not too sure what one needs an MOT for....

If your MOT expires then you can’t tax your car with all that follows. You cannot keep it on a public road.

Just one small example.

Besides, what’s the point? Who are we trying to protect? Why lock yourself away when you might only have a few years left to live?

trying to keep you out of the NHS system so resources are available for other issues. If you are selfish enough to ignore that.........

trying to keep you out of the NHS system so resources are available for other issues. If you are selfish enough to ignore that.........

Sometimes you can be a complete pr!ck.

What is the NHS for if it’s not for sick people? Or do you just want it reserved for yourself?

Everybody has a right to life and liberty. Not house arrest.

My wife has regular hospital visits due to having bowel cancer . add COPD and arthritis which means she can't walk without pain.

Her hospital trips are essential as they keep adjusting her medicines according to xrays and blood tests. Without these trips she would be in a carehome and costing a small fortune to the country in comparison to present costs.

What is the NHS for if it’s not for sick people? Or do you just want it reserved for yourself?

the idea is to keep you from being sick with very simple measures, so those who have no choice to need the NHS (like SFC forever describes) have a fighting chance.

Possibly the strangest and most selfish mentality I’ve seen on this whole topic. Batman is the pr!ck, quite clearly you are.

Of course the NHS is for sick people, but if you haven’t noticed, there are going to be a hell of a lot of sick people in the coming months... more than the NHS can handle.

So if the advice is for those who are high risk (over 70’s) to stay indoors, limiting the strain on the NHS and potentially saving a life, then how hard is it to follow for a couple of months.

You really are one stupid fool. I read Whitey's comments and agree with him that once tax,m.o.t or insurance runs out they need redoing. tax and insurance may be done online but lack of M.O.T could see the car removed and scrapped. Remember that not everybody lives in cloud cuckoo land. Some of us have no choice but to get on with life as usual. Admittedly taking as much care whilst doing so as we can.

You really are one stupid fool. I read Whitey's comments and agree with him that once tax,m.o.t or insurance runs out they need redoing. tax and insurance may be done online but lack of M.O.T could see the car removed and scrapped. Remember that not everybody lives in cloud cuckoo land. Some of us have no choice but to get on with life as usual. Admittedly taking as much care whilst doing so as we can.

SORN the car then!

I don't think some get the seriousness of this! People are literally being left to die in Italy as they have no more hospital beds and not just ones with the virus, but other conditions. They don't have any room in morgues, so are using churches etc. to house bodies until they can be buried, and yet the virus has not peaked there. The UK is almost alone (maybe other than US due to that imbecile president of theirs - still shaking hands on live TV!) in having a very blase attitude to the virus. This is going to get a lot lot worse.

If, rather when, there is a national emergency declared there will be no choice but to carry out what the Government says - there will be no legal repercussions etc. and the last thing the police and other state agencies will be bothered about is if someone has a valid MOT! Wake up folks, do what you can to delay the spread of this virus and take all the precautions you can https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public , and most importantly maintain social distancing.

Football and people's delications are completely irrelevant.

A neighbour of mine is in his 70’s but one of the most active people in the village. He is always walking his dog on in his garage making things. He is in the local most days too. It would drive him crazy being inside the house for weeks.

We have a large ranges of ages in our village .Hopefully my fellow oldies on here will get plenty of help from neighbours too.

5cebd8d012dfa01559febab1f51b6723.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This may sound harsh, but I’m of the opinion if the government issue clear instructions and advice and you chose to ignore and contract the virus needing ICU treatment then you should go to the back of the queue.

Hard to implement mind.

Just been on the road for a while and heard some nut job phone into LBC stating that Boris will have blood on his hands due the amount of suicides he will cause for older people being forced to self isolate...

this is not (apparently) a good move for 'mental health'

this has only just begun!!!

It’s not. You try spending 4 months in isolation and see if you don’t go a bit crazy. We’re all used to going where we want, when we want. To suddenly go from that to isolation is a major shift

This may sound harsh, but I’m of the opinion if the government issue clear instructions and advice and you chose to ignore and contract the virus needing ICU treatment then you should go to the back of the queue.

Hard to implement mind.

Guessing you’re not over 70

Guessing you’re not over 70

Relevance?

If I was deemed high enough risk that the health experts and government recommend I stay at home i will do.

Like when we go on lockdown, I’ll stay at home if it helps keep me and friends/family safe.

Because it's possibly 4 months of your life to save potentially a decade or two? If that's the attitude then really why bother slowing the economy at all? Just let all the over 70s pass away then it's not a worry.

In an age of online shopping,.........

1) If a significant proportion of the population are switching to online shopping, the systems that the supermarket chains operate will be swamped, assuming that there are enough delivery drivers. What happens when the earliest delivery time you can book is 4 weeks away ?

that is ok for most I guess but I must take my 16yo to work the at the stables in the morning and collect him after morning session which can be anywhere from 12.30 to 14.00.Sometimes then back to work from 16.00hrs to maybe 17.30 to feed the yards horses. i hope he can drive soon after his 17th birthday
Maybe he'd have to make alternative arrangements for 4 months? Surely worth it to save your life?

Relevance?

If I was deemed high enough risk that the health experts and government recommend I stay at home i will do.

Like when we go on lockdown, I’ll stay at home if it helps keep me and friends/family safe.

The relevance is that it’s easy to be in support of something that has absolutely no negative impact on you. If it did I seriously doubt you would think the same.

Coronavirus apparently has been found to be more deadly for men than women. If they said all men had to go into isolation for 4 months I doubt they’d be anything like the support there seems to be on here for the over 70s plan.

It’s not. You try spending 4 months in isolation and see if you don’t go a bit crazy. We’re all used to going where we want, when we want. To suddenly go from that to isolation is a major shift
Of course it's not easy but when faced with literal death it's probably worth the hardship yes?

The relevance is that it’s easy to be in support of something that has absolutely no negative impact on you. If it did I seriously doubt you would think the same.

Coronavirus apparently has been found to be more deadly for men than women. If they said all men had to go into isolation for 4 months I doubt they’d be anything like the support there seems to be on here for the over 70s plan.

Eh? If I knew there was a high likelihood I could save lives and that I wouldn't die I'd stay home! Why would you want go out, catch the virus and possibly due or take up resources which could cause someone else to die? 4 months over the course of your life is tiny.

If it wasn’t so serious I’d find some of these comments comical. The Government are giving advice based on the advice of an extensive array of experts and the response from some seems to be I’m going to ignore that because I’ll get a bit bored. Well, being a tad bored for a few weeks is better than one of the alternative options.

I have parents who are over 70. And I will be telling them the exact same.

I have friends who are considered a potential ‘high risk’ but can not go to work due to the financial burden of them not. Let’s say they get it, they would likely need ICU treatment, them beds will then be taken by people who are too selfish to stay at home for 3 months.

So yes, it does have a negative impact on me.

What I don’t understand is you know the risks, you know why you’re being asked to stay at home, yet you feel the need to argue it and say it’s unfair :lol:

What happens after the 4 months ? Assuming the over 70s are then let out, the virus will still be around and a vaccine won't yet be available. Whilst those outside this age group may be well on the way to 'herd immunity' and reducing the chances of infection, a significant proportion of the previously quarantined will still be at serious risk. Presumably the delay will serve to increase the numbers of available ventilators and clear some of the less critical hospital bed space in preparation.

What happens after the 4 months ? Assuming the over 70s are then let out, the virus will still be around and a vaccine won't yet be available. Whilst those outside this age group may be well on the way to 'herd immunity' and reducing the chances of infection, a significant proportion of the previously quarantined will still be at serious risk. Presumably the delay will serve to increase the numbers of available ventilators and clear some of the less critical hospital bed space in preparation.
Then I would imagine that the curve would have been flattened so those who subsequently get it can be looked after more effectively and hopefully herd immunity would have grown to the point that they are less at risk.

I have parents who are over 70. And I will be telling them the exact same.

I have friends who are considered a potential ‘high risk’ but can not go to work due to the financial burden of them not. Let’s say they get it, they would likely need ICU treatment, them beds will then be taken by people who are too selfish to stay at home for 3 months.

So yes, it does have a negative impact on me.

What I don’t understand is you know the risks, you know why you’re being asked to stay at home, yet you feel the need to argue it and say it’s unfair :lol:

Where did I say it’s unfair? People know the risks, they can make their own choice. The only objection I have to your view is that you state they shouldn’t be allowed to have treatment if they decide that they’d rather live normally rather than shut themselves away. And I think you know that by negatively impacted I mean those actually being asked to go into isolation. We all know someone who would be affected by this

P.s. I’m not even 40 yet, but nice assumption of my age.

Of course it's not easy but when faced with literal death it's probably worth the hardship yes?

For some yes, for some no. For me that’s for the individuals impacted to decide. They may isolate and die anyway, or they may decide to carry on as normal and live another 20 years.

For some yes, for some no. For me that’s for the individuals impacted to decide. They may isolate and die anyway, or they may decide to carry on as normal and live another 20 years.

It’s not just about them though is it. It’s passing it on to others, partners, kids, grandkids, other vulnerable ones. It’s selfish and irresponsible to ignore advice given which is potentially a matter of life or death. If you’re prepared to gamble your own life fun, but don’t put others at risk because your MOT is more important.