Things to do or watch when self-isolating

whelk

Just catching up with a binge watch of Californication. Lost it after series 3 so plenty to watch. If you haven’t seen it, do yourself a favour. Lots of dark humour, warped LA characters and very fit women (and Hank Moody for the women).

Good to see Soggy hasn’t pegged it.

Watched some pony last night. Snap dragon was watching Hustlers. Normally I turn over when she’s watching her rubbish, but thought I’d pretend not to be interested but look at some babes. Looked promising, a load of strippers started ripping off blokes. Fit birds shaking it all about, what’s not to like. But what a load of old pony, I didn’t have to pretend to her I thought it was rubbish, it was rubbish. Horrendous, avoid....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve come to the conclusion that without football there’s basically a load of pony on in the evenings.

The new chase thing, where weirdos and odd balls try and beat the chasers, pony.

An itv police thing in Amsterdam where they all talk English, complete rubbish, & this from the channel that gave us Frost.

Gino, Gordon & some French halfwit, lamentable.

Netflix, the occasional gem, but mainly over rated tripe.

Amazon, see above.

BBC, apart from 4. Rubbish. BBC 1 is right on tripe. 2 is cooking shows & travel shiete .

Gold, Drama, Alibi, like Groundhog Day, same stuff over & over.

As someone who has only just got Prime and Netflix, I'm in my element and loving the American Office and am on series 7 having started from the very beginning. Also watching Brooklyn Nine Nine from the start even though we have seen a fair bit of it on channel 4.

Also enjoying After Life although pretty sad at times. To get a sports fix too, have recently watched The Test which I really enjoyed, really good watch. Similarly, both series of Sunderland Til I Die which we have just finished, quite relaxing to watch as I can't watch too much depressing stuff right now! Think the bloke who was at Eastleigh came across as okay but thought the other bloke Methven came across as an arrogant pr**k to be honest.

Have only seen the first episode of the Dortmund documentary and may watch the Man City one after though think I'll prefer the Sunderland one.

As someone who has only just got Prime and Netflix, I'm in my element and loving the American Office and am on series 7 having started from the very beginning. Also watching Brooklyn Nine Nine from the start even though we have seen a fair bit of it on channel 4.

Also enjoying After Life although pretty sad at times. To get a sports fix too, have recently watched The Test which I really enjoyed, really good watch. Similarly, both series of Sunderland Til I Die which we have just finished, quite relaxing to watch as I can't watch too much depressing stuff right now! Think the bloke who was at Eastleigh came across as okay but thought the other bloke Methven came across as an arrogant pr**k to be honest.

Have only seen the first episode of the Dortmund documentary and may watch the Man City one after though think I'll prefer the Sunderland one.

American Office is superb.

The Test also very good.

Man City doc worth it although so many similar been done since.

From a Netflix perspective; second season of Afterlife a disappointment, seems to have no idea what it wants to say, but some funny moments 5/10

Currently season of Last Kingdom still good for a watch. Entertaining if slightly confused. 7/10

Can't say I've cared for anything Gervais has done after extras. I've found him not to be the best or most nuanced actor as it is (in anything it just sounds like Gervais being Gervais.) imo it was Steve merchant that was the real talent as a writer.

From a Netflix perspective; second season of Afterlife a disappointment, seems to have no idea what it wants to say, but some funny moments 5/10

Currently season of Last Kingdom still good for a watch. Entertaining if slightly confused. 7/10

I’m glad it’s not just me that felt that way about After Life - reading some reviews before I watched the second series had me wondering if I was watching the same show. It’s very real, and there’s some interesting characters that give me a few belly laughs, but amongst all the realism the Postman feels like a fish out of water in the context of the show - I normally like Joe Wilkinson but take the bath scene for example, totally unrealistic given the context of the show - and then you’ve got Roxy the hooker, who again doesn’t fit the show as she’s totally unbelievable.

What was with Ricky crying in every episode too - it’s like he just learnt how to turn the waterworks on at stage school and thought this will be good to tug a few heartstrings.

it ether needs to be a real, bittersweet, tragic comedy or silly full of unrealistic set pieces kind of sitcom - not both.

Leans heavily on people you wouldn't expect to say "****" saying ****. Boring tbh gave up after 2 episodes.

I thought it was ok. Clever & obviously a bit different subject matter. Although sometimes I get the impression he’s deliberately being “brave” & addressing a taboo subject & it therefore becomes a bit forced. Kind of like a poor mans Larry David.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have finally finished reading JG Ballard’s book “Crash”. It has only taken me 3 years as I kept picking it up and putting it down again. I like Ballard as an author but found this hard going. I have nothing against pervy sex but this is a bit freaky. The film was good though.

Quite enjoying The Boys on Amazon, a different twist on normal superhero shows.

Brassic on Sky 1 is funny. What We Do In The Shadows is coming back soon which is good news because anything with Matt Berry is top of my list.

Money Heist on Netflix is great. Weirdly it features Neymar in a cameo playing a monk.

Quite enjoying The Boys on Amazon, a different twist on normal superhero shows.

Brassic on Sky 1 is funny. What We Do In The Shadows is coming back soon which is good news because anything with Matt Berry is top of my list.

Money Heist on Netflix is great. Weirdly it features Neymar in a cameo playing a monk.

I liked the boys, though I couldn't make my mind up whether watching a kiwi impersonate an english geezer was grating or funny in an intentionally/unintentionally wooden way.

Season 2 of what we do in the shadows is good in places, though it has to work pretty hard to stretch out a storyline from an ingenious premise. Still it features a guest appearance from Craig Robinson.

Brooker's 45min special on the pandemic was excellent.

Edited by shurlock

White lines looks promising. Only watched the first episode, but the bird from Coronation street runs some sort of sex parties, whilst her ex, played by Daniel Mays, runs drugs. Some fit young thing is investigating her brothers death. Promising, but these things often tail off into soppy right on pony. Promising though.

I actually watched Millionaire this week, Clarkson is quite good. It’s certain better than the dogs breakfast they made of beat the chasers.

Thought White Lines started well but ended up being total sh!te. It’s well produced and there are some good moments but it ends up meandering between being incredibly dull and ridiculously far fetched. Girl goes to Ibiza to investigate her brothers murder yet spends the whole time taking drugs and ****ging, doing next to no detective work whatsoever. It doesn’t matter though because even though the murder happened 20 years ago all the main suspects are still there, still in touch with each other and invite her to dinner. Even then she can’t be arsed to do any investigating because she’s too busy ****ging. It’s all ok though because it turns out ****ging and taking drugs in a hot country is fun so she’s ‘finding herself’ which we’re supposed to give a **** about, but you don’t. You end up not caring who did it, who lives or dies and you just want it to end.

Thought White Lines started well but ended up being total sh!te. It’s well produced and there are some good moments but it ends up meandering between being incredibly dull and ridiculously far fetched. Girl goes to Ibiza to investigate her brothers murder yet spends the whole time taking drugs and ****ging, doing next to no detective work whatsoever. It doesn’t matter though because even though the murder happened 20 years ago all the main suspects are still there, still in touch with each other and invite her to dinner. Even then she can’t be arsed to do any investigating because she’s too busy ****ging. It’s all ok though because it turns out ****ging and taking drugs in a hot country is fun so she’s ‘finding herself’ which we’re supposed to give a **** about, but you don’t. You end up not caring who did it, who lives or dies and you just want it to end.

Sounds good and realistic IMO

I was in majorca when they filmed that last year. True story.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Brilliant! But in the interests of equality shouldn't you also post a version up for our resident racists?

GAMMONOPOLY?

Fck knows why I can’t seem to ditch this quote meant for another.

da 5 Bloods was ok although was a feeling of must see it through

giving up on White Lines - main actress does my melon

I stumbled upon a decent Netflix series last night. ‘Undercover’. It’s a Belgian/Dutch thing, where undercover officers target a drug king pin. Watched 4 in one sitting, pretty good plot twists, some nice birds & a bit of violence. You need to get used to the overdubbing of the voices into English, but after that it’s good. 

I just hope it doesn’t tail off, like a lot of modern series seem to.  

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I stumbled upon a decent Netflix series last night. ‘Undercover’. It’s a Belgian/Dutch thing, where undercover officers target a drug king pin. Watched 4 in one sitting, pretty good plot twists, some nice birds & a bit of violence. You need to get used to the overdubbing of the voices into English, but after that it’s good. 

I just hope it doesn’t tail off, like a lot of modern series seem to.  

Wouldn’t you prefer watching with the original audio (Flemish?) with subtitles? Good discipline in concentrating and not looking at your phone too. 
Also think it makes the acting look better than it may actually be. Maybe I’m just a pretentious luvvie?

19 hours ago, whelk said:

Wouldn’t you prefer watching with the original audio (Flemish?) with subtitles? Good discipline in concentrating and not looking at your phone too. 
Also think it makes the acting look better than it may actually be. Maybe I’m just a pretentious luvvie?

Subtitles over dubbing every day. 

We've bought the box set of Northern Exposure. Working our way through it at the moment. Such a great show with excellent characters. 

16 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Subtitles over dubbing every day. 

We've bought the box set of Northern Exposure. Working our way through it at the moment. Such a great show with excellent characters. 

No thanks. There was some  lesbo action in a hot tub during the one I watched last night. Can’t be focused on the subtitles whilst concentrating fully on that. 

47 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

No thanks. There was some  lesbo action in a hot tub during the one I watched last night. Can’t be focused on the subtitles whilst concentrating fully on that. 

Can't get too excited about Northern Exposure, but I accept that Southern Exposure is strictly regulated on what they can show.😉

Either Montalbano or Young Montalbano are both very good and the subtitles aren't a problem. It helps with my Italian, although the Sicilian dialect is interesting sometimes.

23 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

Can't get too excited about Northern Exposure, but I accept that Southern Exposure is strictly regulated on what they can show.😉

Either Montalbano or Young Montalbano are both very good and the subtitles aren't a problem. It helps with my Italian, although the Sicilian dialect is interesting sometimes.

Narcos definitely helped me swear in Spanish, I had a row with a taxi driver in Maspalomas and was able to call him a son of a bitch in his native tongue. 

33 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Narcos definitely helped me swear in Spanish, I had a row with a taxi driver in Maspalomas and was able to call him a son of a bitch in his native tongue. 

You see and some of your critics would stereotype you as a boorish Englishman stuck in the past. Your ancestors would never have gone to the trouble of learning the local dialect to tell a Spanish waiter to fuck off. 

Snowfall. Mentioned this on the ‘BBC’ thread, currently on iPlayer, if you were into Breaking Bad, Narcos and the like, you’ll likely get well into this.

No spoilers but set in LA early 80s when crack first arrived on the streets. Rival black and Mexican gangs (and an interesting Israeli drugs baron!), CIA, DEA, Colombians, Contras, Sandinistas – a good mix for getting you hooked in for the 3 series. Covid-delayed 4th on the way.

Edit: Forgot to mention, look out for guest appearance by Freddie Mercury

Edited by alehouseboys
Freddie Mercury

If you were a fan of The Sopranos, look up the Talking Sopranos videos on Youtube.

Two of the actors discuss each episode in depth and give lot of background on how the series developed and include interviews with other cast members.

There's a new one each week. They've reached Series 2 Episode 1.

• 3 weeks later...

I know lock-down isn't lock-down now, but anyway....

Just decided to revisit The Holy Bible (Manics album, not the book) for the first time in ages. The version that appeared on Spotify is the 20th anniversary remaster. I'm not usually a fan of remasters but this one is quality. Really beefs up the music without detracting from its sinister tone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, benjii said:

I know lock-down isn't lock-down now, but anyway....

Just decided to revisit The Holy Bible (Manics album, not the book) for the first time in ages. The version that appeared on Spotify is the 20th anniversary remaster. I'm not usually a fan of remasters but this one is quality. Really beefs up the music without detracting from its sinister tone.

Not an album I've heard for a long time but it's an absolute belter. I'll have to have a listen to the remaster.

James and Nicky appear on the excellent BBC4 film about Rockfield Studios that was on tonight. Well worth watching for anyone interested in rock/pop over the last 50 odd years.

6 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Not an album I've heard for a long time but it's an absolute belter. I'll have to have a listen to the remaster.

James and Nicky appear on the excellent BBC4 film about Rockfield Studios that was on tonight. Well worth watching for anyone interested in rock/pop over the last 50 odd years.

Cheers, will check it out.