Things to do or watch when self-isolating

whelk

I watched an interesting film last night. “Un cut Gems” on Netflix. I wouldn’t say it was brilliant as I spent a third of the time wondering whether to turn off, but it was weirdly addictive. The ending was excellent and Adam Sandler was superb (as was his mistress’ arse). Reminded me a lot of Mean Streets, lots of noise, action & jerky sort of camera shots/angles. There’s so much going on that maybe it’s one to watch again to fully appreciate.

Has anyone seen it, and If so, what did you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Strange gritty film.

Kind of liked it but would be annoyed if went to the cinema to see it!

I watched an interesting film last night. “Un cut Gems” on Netflix. I wouldn’t say it was brilliant as I spent a third of the time wondering whether to turn off, but it was weirdly addictive. The ending was excellent and Adam Sandler was superb (as was his mistress’ arse). Reminded me a lot of Mean Streets, lots of noise, action & jerky sort of camera shots/angles. There’s so much going on that maybe it’s one to watch again to fully appreciate.

Watched the whole thing. Hated it, but the ending was entertaining.

Like the majority of Netflix movies, it felt hastily conceived and underdeveloped. I think quite often Netflix pick up scripts and even rights for films that have limited interest from distribution. None of the characters were fleshed out and Sandler felt like an unlikable caricature, meaning I didn’t care about his experience. 5/10 from me, mainly for the ending :)

Watched Vivarium last week. Bizarre, engrossing. 7/10

Started watching The Gentleman, turned it off after 20 minutes. Guy Ritchie doing same old lock stock routine 20 years later. Dull. Hugh Grant was great though. N/A.

Edited by Plastic

Working my way through the 86 episodes of The Sopranos.

First watched it about 6 years ago, just as good the second time around.

Tried that about 4 years ago. It may have just been because it was dated but I thought it was ****ing awful. Would highly recommend Boardwalk Empire though.

Edited by stknowle

Started watching The Gentleman, turned it off after 20 minutes. Guy Ritchie doing same old lock stock routine 20 years later. Dull. Hugh Grant was great though. N/A.

Ive heard quite a few people say they didn’t like The Gentlemen, but I thought it was great. Hugh Grant like you say was excellent but I found the whole thing very entertaining; albeit in a typical Guy Ritchie totally unbelievable way.

I really enjoyed it. Very different role for Sandler, and as you say, very well done. The missus didn't watch it with me so it's definitely on the watch again list. It's Two Popes tonight.

I really enjoyed it. Very different role for Sandler, and as you say, very well done. The missus didn't watch it with me so it's definitely on the watch again list. It's Two Popes tonight.

I thought Two Popes was excellent. A slow burner but a great watch.

how did it go?
Was today rather than last week and was excellent. Really good insight into the workings of the club, where they are now and their ambition.

They follow social media and rumours are at least 95% wrong. Surprise.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Cheers. I've heard good things. Best movie I've seen in ages was green book. Tremendous.

Green book was excellent.

I’m actually amazed with how much Shiite is on Netflix & Prime. Because I watched football most week nights & went out weekends, I only dipped in to watch the occasional series like Bosch, Sneaky Pete or Narcos. There really is some pony on, Ive lost count of the number of films I’ve turned off.

Green book was excellent.

I’m actually amazed with how much Shiite is on Netflix & Prime. Because I watched football most week nights & went out weekends, I only dipped in to watch the occasional series like Bosch, Sneaky Pete or Narcos. There really is some pony on, Ive lost count of the number of films I’ve turned off.

Try getting into Ozarks (Netflix)

Pretty decent

I think Amazon is pretty gash for TV and unsure if I will extend when it comes round again for renewal.

Pretty decent

I think Amazon is pretty gash for TV and unsure if I will extend when it comes round again for renewal.

Amazon has a better film back catalogue than Netflix imo. As for TV, Homecoming was very good as was looming tower. Good omens, the boys, mr robot, the first season (not the second) of the Jack Ryan series were all pretty decent. Some good sports documentaries too, though with a US focus,

Renewal? So you wouldn’t keep Amazon Prime? Isn’t Prime Video bundled into that service?

Pretty decent

Amazon has sneaky Pete which I enjoyed, man in the high castle is superb, Goliath good although last series ****e. Marvellous Mrs Maisel much better than I was expecting.

Ozarks is brilliant. Watched first couple of series 3, gotta get onto that. Not much of the new netflix or amazon stuff is doing it for me though.

Amazon has sneaky Pete which I enjoyed, man in the high castle is superb, Goliath good although last series ****e. Marvellous Mrs Maisel much better than I was expecting.

Ozarks is brilliant. Watched first couple of series 3, gotta get onto that. Not much of the new netflix or amazon stuff is doing it for me though.

Goliath first series was great, getting worse from second & third series. I found the Ozarks so so. Bosch is great, looking forward to new season. The new Nazi hunter thing was a major disappointment.

It’s not just Netflix & Prime, the whole of TV is dire overall. ITV crime stuff used to be great, but the latest thing McDonald & Dodds was infantile and even Endeavour is starting to jump the shark now.

Amazon has a better film back catalogue than Netflix imo. As for TV, Homecoming was very good as was looming tower. Good omens, the boys, mr robot, the first season (not the second) of the Jack Ryan series were all pretty decent. Some good sports documentaries too, though with a US focus,

Renewal? So you wouldn’t keep Amazon Prime? Isn’t Prime Video bundled into that service?

Yes, part of my prime and my renewal is in Jan....I probably will sign up for another year after making the most of Amazon oct-dec [emoji1787]

Goliath first series was great, getting worse from second & third series. I found the Ozarks so so. Bosch is great, looking forward to new season. The new Nazi hunter thing was a major disappointment.

It’s not just Netflix & Prime, the whole of TV is dire overall. ITV crime stuff used to be great, but the latest thing McDonald & Dodds was infantile and even Endeavour is starting to jump the shark now.

I forgot bosch. Saw a few and liked it. Will give it another go. And yes, a lot of rubbish on all channels sadly. That nazi thing was dreadful, not sure what they were thinking of with that.

My Video on Demand via IPTV has everything including premium films. Even categorises Netflix and Prime content.

£20 per year for 2 subscriptions and works via IPTV apps on iPad and Firestick

Slightly more clunky but decent value

Finally got around to watching the Sky/HBO miniseries Chernobyl over the weekend, and it was one of the finest pieces of TV I’ve had the pleasure of watching.

There’s a bit of artistic license used for the sake of story telling, but it’s ultimately a horrifyingly accurate account of the disaster. Like a lot of people I knew the basics around the incident, but the levels the Soviets went to in an attempt to play it down for the sake of national pride and the long term effects on the surrounding area and thousands of innocent people is just another disturbing part of the Soviet Union legacy.

Finally got around to watching the Sky/HBO miniseries Chernobyl over the weekend, and it was one of the finest pieces of TV I’ve had the pleasure of watching.

There’s a bit of artistic license used for the sake of story telling, but it’s ultimately a horrifyingly accurate account of the disaster. Like a lot of people I knew the basics around the incident, but the levels the Soviets went to in an attempt to play it down for the sake of national pride and the long term effects on the surrounding area and thousands of innocent people is just another disturbing part of the Soviet Union legacy.

It's superb. Made me think very much of the outbreak of the current situation.

The Gentlemen is superb. That’s if you liked Lock Stock and aren’t stuffy about Guy Richie.

Hugh Grant is hilarious

I need to see it again, just didn't feel it in the cinema and thought it much worse than snatch and lock stock. Will give it another go, but yep, Hugh Grant was brilliant.

I need to see it again, just didn't feel it in the cinema and thought it much worse than snatch and lock stock. Will give it another go, but yep, Hugh Grant was brilliant.

Thought it was very good - the only thing that stood out for me though was the lack of a decent music score, his other films have hit the mark perfectly in that respect....

Thought it was very good - the only thing that stood out for me though was the lack of a decent music score, his other films have hit the mark perfectly in that respect....

Yep, music was poor. I also got it into my head for some reason that Ray's character was written for Tom Hardy but that they had to make do with some stand in who looked a bit like him.

Finally finished Top Boy on Netflix. Has to be the closest thing we have to The Wire in this country. Loved it.

Do HBO ever sell their series to Netflix or Amazon?

Watched The Wire years ago and was superb.

Guess HBO have their own streaming service as not seen sight nor sound of it.

The Wire was on Now TV at one point. Not sure at the moment though as we only have Netflix and it's definitely not on there.

Really want to rewatch Northern Exposure as I adored that in the 90's. It's nowhere to be seen now though because they aren't allowed to show it with the original music used in the programme.

Better Call Saul has really hotted up the last few weeks. I thought it would be hard to replace Chuck or Werner. But Lalo has stolen the season.

Plot Against America on HBO is also excellent - if you’re disappointed by recent Nazi alternative history shows, it’s from the makers of the Wire.

HBO is launching its own streaming service - all this content fragmentation and subscription fatigue will only fuel piracy.

Better Call Saul has really hotted up the last few weeks. I thought it would be hard to replace Chuck or Werner. But Lalo has stolen the season.

Plot Against America on HBO is also excellent - if you’re disappointed by recent Nazi alternative history shows, it’s from the makers of the Wire.

I’m waiting for all episodes of Better Call Saul

Sad but his brother thing really started to annoy me,

Just want Mike and Gus and Mexican drug cartels

HBO is launching its own streaming service - all this content fragmentation and subscription fatigue will only fuel piracy.

I have all piracy options but still simpler when on main ones that I still pay for.

US Office which is superb btw seems to jump between Netflix and Prime - actually better that way rather than being annoyingly exclusive.

I’m waiting for all episodes of Better Call Saul

Sad but his brother thing really started to annoy me,

Just want Mike and Gus and Mexican drug cartels

Yeah, I agree. It definitely started to drag a bit a while back but this series has been great.

Yeah, I agree. It definitely started to drag a bit a while back but this series has been great.

Agree with you there - this season has been brilliant, without spoiling it for anyone the recent ‘collecting the money’ episode was as close to prime Breaking Bad as we’ve had IMO

Totally think Kim is hot BTW - is it just me?

Agree with you there - this season has been brilliant, without spoiling it for anyone the recent ‘collecting the money’ episode was as close to prime Breaking Bad as we’ve had IMO

Totally think Kim is hot BTW - is it just me?

All correct. I love Kim. Going to wait until Tuesday and watch the last 2 episodes back to back.

The Wire was on Now TV at one point. Not sure at the moment though as we only have Netflix and it's definitely not on there.

Really want to rewatch Northern Exposure as I adored that in the 90's. It's nowhere to be seen now though because they aren't allowed to show it with the original music used in the programme.

Loved NE too! Got the soundtrack as well.

Never got into the Wire, too much swearing and got a bit slow from what I remember.

Enjoyed Mindhunter on Netflix, Fringe (old) on Prime and there is the new series of FND.

Loved NE too! Got the soundtrack as well.

Never got into the Wire, too much swearing and got a bit slow from what I remember.

Enjoyed Mindhunter on Netflix, Fringe (old) on Prime and there is the new series of FND.

Not seen Mindhunter, will have a look now we've finished Better Call Saul.

I know a few people who bailed on the Wire. Season 2 was maybe a little slow but it's worth sticking with. Season 4 is probably my favourite TV ever.

Watched Deadwood again, 15 years after it first aired and enjoyed as much as the first time. Ian McShane is brilliant in it. A bit let down by the feature length, tie the ends up, 'movie', only because the series was so good.

Ozark season 3 done. Another cracking series, I just hope they don't string it out for eternity. One of the things that made Deadwood so nice was it stayed at 3 seasons.

Just finished the Trip to Greece. Its the same old routine, but I still find it very entertaining.

Nearly finished DEVS, its not very good, some horrible acting and a couple of absurd skyhooks. Just about keeping my interest.

Rewatching IT crowd, its classic. Will go for Father Ted next. Love Graham Linhan.

Watched Deadwood again, 15 years after it first aired and enjoyed as much as the first time. Ian McShane is brilliant in it. A bit let down by the feature length, tie the ends up, 'movie', only because the series was so good.

Ozark season 3 done. Another cracking series, I just hope they don't string it out for eternity. One of the things that made Deadwood so nice was it stayed at 3 seasons.

Wasn’t Deadwood meant to have a 4th season but got pulled?