Things to do or watch when self-isolating

whelk

Really disappointed in Amazon’s Nazi hunting thing, it can’t seem to work out wether it’s a cartoon or serious. Missed opportunity imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I liked it - a cross between the watchmen film and inglourious basterds.

Don't F**k With Cats on Netflix is worth a watch...

Yes very bingeworthy. Saw it over the Xmas holidays, conjured up images of mongboarders tracking new signings on Flightradar24. The protagonist was truly chilling, especially how he was first introduced (his doctored profile popping up all over the web). Still it left plenty of threads hanging - did the group actually contribute to his capture -I got the sense it’s role was overegged by the filmmakers and was the woman followed to her workplace or was it a red herring? Thought the final episode was simultaneously manipulative and a bit of an anticlimax. But that might just reflect on how gripping the first two episodes were.

Edited by shurlock

If Second World War History is your thing, there are some superb You Tube videos

Mark Felton Productions

Drachinifel (Naval warfare)

World War Two week by week

If the war on the Eastern Front is your thing, YouTube has some excellent dramas from Russia and Belarus with English subtitles. The Dawns Here Are Quiet, Night Swallows and Hunting The Gauleiter all from Star Media are a good starting point.

Loads of full episodes of Hornblower on You Tube, excellent historical Naval drama from Nelson's era. A shame that there doesn't seem to be the equivalent coverage of Sharpe episodes.

[smug mode]

Fortunately I bought the box set of Sharpe back in January, just after I bought the complete set of novels from Amazon :)

It is brilliant

The last episode was a bit hit and miss (guess it’s the calm before the storm of the final episode) but the run of three episodes in the middle -the driving lesson, Len’s internet romance and Kurtan’s half-brother funeral- rivalled anything from the first two series.

Edited by shurlock

The last episode was a bit hit and miss (guess it’s the calm before the storm of the final episode) but the run of three episodes in the middle -the driving lesson, Len’s internet romance and Kurtan’s half-brother funeral- rivalled anything from the first two series.
Agree - felt like an attempt to do a two-hander "bottle" episode but didn't work quite as well, they didn't quite commit to it especially as they needed to get the "reveal" in at the end. An episode based on the week they'd actually had - standing in for the vicar - would have been great.

Very much enjoyed the three you mentioned though.

Duolingo is a great way to learn a language, and it is free ! Just take a 5 minute lesson every day.

I am learning Spanish at the moment, ready for when the border gets open again, hopefully this year .

Just had a look at that, it looks good. I've signed up. THanks!

As an act of faith a group of us are getting together for a pint or two and chat, mainly football, via Zoom at 15:00 each Saturday. (Day and time may be varied for TV coverage)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Tongue in cheek, I sent an invite to SFC to have a rep join us this week. First response was sorry, no.

Then a change of heart. The CEO and MD of Saints (Martin Seemens and Toby Steele) are both joining us for an on-line forum. [emoji15][emoji15]

Tongue in cheek, I sent an invite to SFC to have a rep join us this week. First response was sorry, no.

Then a change of heart. The CEO and MD of Saints (Martin Seemens and Toby Steele) are both joining us for an on-line forum. [emoji15][emoji15]

Publish the zoom link to your meeting, or meeting no and passcode, and we'll ALL join you. :)

:lol:

Fair play. I would keep the tone to a few blokes having a pint, talking football...if possible

I'm lucky enough to have a small garden. Have been doing a bit of maintenance to the path that runs down it, basically trimming and weeding, making sure the grass doesn't take it over.

Very pleasurable in the garden at the moment...no aircraft noise, fewer cars. The noise of the birds seems to be taking over...very refreshing. Think I just identified the call of a green woodpecker.

We’re having an extension conversion built - or more accurately we were.

I’ve repurposed the bricks that were replaced and build a border wall. It’s not the straightest or prettiest but I built it and it’s killed a weekend.

Wish this would end just so we can get a roof on the back of our house [emoji85]

We've got both bathrooms due to be started on tomorrow - it's been a complete nightmare trying to get all the bits needed to finish the work, but provided the shower screen arrives as promised on Thursday, then we should be able to finish them.

Builder had a temperature for four days from last Saturday but has said he is good to go tomorrow!

We've got both bathrooms due to be started on tomorrow - it's been a complete nightmare trying to get all the bits needed to finish the work, but provided the shower screen arrives as promised on Thursday, then we should be able to finish them.

Builder had a temperature for four days from last Saturday but has said he is good to go tomorrow!

Good luck! Ours have said their main merchants are

Closed and besides I don’t think it’s THAT essential

76d72f1c20470248d3abe3b37d6b6dce.jpg

Good luck! Ours have said their main merchants are

Closed and besides I don’t think it’s THAT essential

We were in the early stages of planning a new kitchen and have just remortgaged (1st April).

Kitchen is on hold but thankfully now I have a large chunk of change sat in one of my accounts, which makes me very happy given the current climate. Luckily I’m still working as normal, but you never know.

We were in the early stages of planning a new kitchen and have just remortgaged (1st April).

Kitchen is on hold but thankfully now I have a large chunk of change sat in one of my accounts, which makes me very happy given the current climate. Luckily I’m still working as normal, but you never know.

We did the same. Took 55 out the mortgage - have paid the first instalment of 6 and got the rest waiting for this to all blow over.

We’re also doing a loft conversion at the same time

Have you got a builder? I can recommend ours if you need one

We did the same. Took 55 out the mortgage - have paid the first instalment of 6 and got the rest waiting for this to all blow over.

We’re also doing a loft conversion at the same time

Have you got a builder? I can recommend ours if you need one

Yes please, we have some quotes but always happy to get a recommendation. Think I might hang on for 12 months now either way.

I watched an interesting film last night. “Un cut Gems” on Netflix. I wouldn’t say it was brilliant as I spent a third of the time wondering whether to turn off, but it was weirdly addictive. The ending was excellent and Adam Sandler was superb (as was his mistress’ arse). Reminded me a lot of Mean Streets, lots of noise, action & jerky sort of camera shots/angles. There’s so much going on that maybe it’s one to watch again to fully appreciate.

Has anyone seen it, and If so, what did you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I put it on a few weeks back, think I made it to 20 minutes in before I’d had enough and put something else on. Not for me.

That’s how I felt for about an hour, had to really force my self to continue watching (not a great recommendation) , but in the end found it quite compelling. It’s the strangest feeling I’ve ever had at the end of a film. Normally it’s , “that was ****e”, or “that was good”, or even “meh”, but this was half ****e half good. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk