Southampton Zoo and other places I miss...

Guided Missile

The escaping elephant:

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

The smoking Monkey:

Another place, long gone, which was also a veritable oasis of contagious disease was the Lido:

?type=responsive-gallery

Who remembers to one legged bloke that used hop up to the top diving board and perform a perfect swallow dive?

The good old (bizarre) days...

I remember the Smoking Monkey, James.

Also witnessing the Penguins with diahorrea on one visit in the 1970's.

Yes, fond memories of the zoo, although I doubt from an adult perspective now that the animals were as well looked after as they should have been. Ocean Village - Los Marinos and Schooners were favourite teenage/early 20s haunts. Had some fun in Thursdays, Dog and Duck and Spa Tavern. Obviously the Dell but was well past it’s sell by date post Taylor Report and in PL era. Central Baths good memories and that huge window of the deep end as you went in. Many notable physical landmarks gone

Pirelli’s

Solent Flour Mills under threat

Vospers - a constant in my early childhood in Woolston. Woolston still feels bereft without it

That UBM tower at Antelope Park you could see from all over Sholing

Parkside Tavern - very comfy boozer with well kept Marsdens and great jukebox

Polygon Hotel

Independent sports shops - Toomers (much missed poster) and Connor and Waterhouse in Woolston (?)

There was also an aviary in the parks until the early 1990s.

Ice rink as well, despite many false dawns amazing it was never replaced.

Southampton muni golf course still around but did the ski slope survive having not been to that part of the city for donkey’s years?

Southampton muni golf course still around but did the ski slope survive having not been to that part of the city for donkey’s years?

The ski slope is still teaching generations the art of falling down with style.

I remember the lovely smell from the coffee shop by the aviary when I were a lad

I remember loving going to the zoo as a small kid in the seventies, then stopping in there once when I cycled to Southampton in the eighties. The world had changed and zoos had moved on and away from tiny concrete and steel enclosures, but sadly Southampton zoo hadn't. It was one of the most depressing things I had seen and the animals looked sick and neglected. I think it was the last time I saw an old fashioned zoo like that.

Somebody mentioned Tucktonia, that place seemed like Alton Towers to me when I was young. Can't remember there actually being much there now. They had cool boats though.

The escaping elephant:

The smoking Monkey:

Another place, long gone, which was also a veritable oasis of contagious disease was the Lido:

?type=responsive-gallery

Who remembers to one legged bloke that used hop up to the top diving board and perform a perfect swallow dive?

The good old (bizarre) days...

Glad you got a pic of the smoking monkey.

I'm sure my wife thought I was mad when I told about it!

Waterhouse and Conning. I spent pretty much every pound I earned in that shop on fishing tackle and sports kit.

That's it, well remembered. Excellent little shop that one, much preferable to Sports Direct.

Another Southampton landmark which disappeared in the 1990s was the Rolling Mills in Woolston/Weston Shore which was huge. Very visible from the pitch and putt on Weston Shore. Very few photos of it online but there are a couple here:

I saw someone mentioned Tucktonia, just about remember it. Initially very successful until Alton Towers and a revamped Chessington blew it out of the water. A couple of articles here

https://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2018/04/whatever-happened-to-tucktonia/

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15002073.pictures-remembering-tucktonia-the-original-little-britain/

The docks with the ocean liners in 1960’s and 70’s. It’s definitely not the same today......

You aren’t Campbell McCutcheon are you? He wrote a book called Port of Southampton in the 60s and 70s. Seven quid on Kindle, has been on my wish list for a while. I do have Mike Roussel’s Southampton Maritime City on ocean liners, was a good read.

Saintquin - I did think about the Woolston Ferry but before my time (not by that much mind).

Tim - cheers for the Tucktonia clip, will have a watch of that.

Socially, have heard a lot of people say they missed the Top Rank over the years.

There used to be a great trio of pubs in St Denys - one burnt down (Junction), one closed (Dolphin) which was a great pub and only SW Arms was going last time I looked/visited friends and met them there.

• 2 weeks later...

The house I grew up in (compulsory purchased and demolished in 80's)

My School (Hampton Park)

Large parts of Southampton Tech College (now city college)

The Dell

The Zoo

The Top Rank & Ice Rink

The Waterloo Arms, Dukes Road. (near the old driving test centre)

Polygon Hotel

Since I left Southampton in 1979 it is probably easier to list the places that are left that I used to frequent rather than those that have gone forever.

The city centre parks use to be great for conkering.

Margherita’s Pizza restaurant in its early days near the Gaumont, great food and brilliant atmosphere.

The park near the pier watching the massive ships come in and go out.

Kingsland market in St Marys.

The swimming bars and barely being able to see after an hour or so due to the chlorine. Warming up in the warm water foot pools on the way back to the changing rooms and getting a verruca.

Trying to bike ride up Lances hill.

The smell of liniment when saints came onto the pitch at the Dell.

Seeing human turds floating in the water at Weston shore whilst crabbing.

Going on the Hythe ferry for a day out.

Just a few of many silly little things I remember from time to time.

Kaos

10p a pint sometimes! Wasn't it also buy one bottle get 2 free or something?

I swear it was impossible to get drunk on their beer though. Must have been massively watered down.

Horrible place, although useful for anyone out on the pull because they were almost guaranteed to succeed without having to put in any particular effort.

The old bus station - I was on a bus and a wino was sat on the kerb opposite having just been sick on the double yellow lines.

Just as we pulled away he started picking through the puke and triumphantly located his false teeth.

One of those moments that remains with you forty years on.

:scared:

The old bus station - I was on a bus and a wino was sat on the kerb opposite having just been sick on the double yellow lines.

Just as we pulled away he started picking through the puke and triumphantly located his false teeth.

One of those moments that remains with you forty years on.

:scared:

and I'm still wearing them

Toomers.

I know it's been gone for ages now, but walking past it a few weeks ago on the way to St Mary's brought it all back. An integral part of early fascination with football in the late 1960's.

Big question - were you a Toomers or a Patstone & Cox patron ?

Toomers.

I know it's been gone for ages now, but walking past it a few weeks ago on the way to St Mary's brought it all back. An integral part of early fascination with football in the late 1960's.

Holt and Haskell’s for me as I worked there as a kid.

Toomers.

Toomers. I went to school with Cox Jnr.

I am amazed that no one has mentioned, not a bricks and mortar destination, but more of regular aroma that wafted across the City from Fawley I can't smell Coal Tar soap without thinking of Southampton.

Hovercraft landing in Woolston - My Dad use to do plenty of business in the docks, and had some trade in the Hovercraft place that I think now makes wind turbines, always remember when little being in the car with my Mum parked at the top of the landing slipway when a Hovercraft came in my Dad was already out of the car waiting for it to arrive (think they were triailing some glass cleaner) this noisy monster rose up out of the sea and even today I still think it was going to swallow my Dad whole!

I am amazed that no one has mentioned, not a bricks and mortar destination, but more of regular aroma that wafted across the City from Fawley I can't smell Coal Tar soap without thinking of Southampton.

Hovercraft landing in Woolston - My Dad use to do plenty of business in the docks, and had some trade in the Hovercraft place that I think now makes wind turbines, always remember when little being in the car with my Mum parked at the top of the landing slipway when a Hovercraft came in my Dad was already out of the car waiting for it to arrive (think they were triailing some glass cleaner) this noisy monster rose up out of the sea and even today I still think it was going to swallow my Dad whole!

Griffon Hoverwork are still at Woolston.

I remember being on a Red Funnel ferry going past Calshot at low tide when a hovercraft on its way to Cowes just cut across the mudflats. It didn't seem natural.

https://www.griffonhoverwork.com/

Griffon Hoverwork are still at Woolston.

I remember being on a Red Funnel ferry going past Calshot at low tide when a hovercraft on its way to Cowes just cut across the mudflats. It didn't seem natural.

https://www.griffonhoverwork.com/

Cheers Whitey

Think it might have even been Red Funnel who ran the service from Woolston just opposite Crosshouse Quay car park to the then Factory in East Cowes pretty certain both builds they ran from can't be missed as they have bloody great big Union Jacks painted on the hangar doors still in both Woolston and East Cowes.

We had a family outing over to the Isle of Wight from Southsea to Ryde even as a grown up with his own kids, the memory of the noisy transit to East Cowes made it an exciting trip, and coming home from Ryde the tide was right out zipping across the sandy stuff past bait diggers was quite a thing.

He's another one for you, apparently on maps of the upper Solent near the Itchen Woolston channel the runway for the Seaplanes, that ran from Town House Quay or Berth 50 in the Eastern Docks is still shown, and rumour has it the landing light poles are still under the water out there.

Cheers Whitey

Think it might have even been Red Funnel who ran the service from Woolston just opposite Crosshouse Quay car park to the then Factory in East Cowes pretty certain both builds they ran from can't be missed as they have bloody great big Union Jacks painted on the hangar doors still in both Woolston and East Cowes.

We had a family outing over to the Isle of Wight from Southsea to Ryde even as a grown up with his own kids, the memory of the noisy transit to East Cowes made it an exciting trip, and coming home from Ryde the tide was right out zipping across the sandy stuff past bait diggers was quite a thing.

He's another one for you, apparently on maps of the upper Solent near the Itchen Woolston channel the runway for the Seaplanes, that ran from Town House Quay or Berth 50 in the Eastern Docks is still shown, and rumour has it the landing light poles are still under the water out there.

The giant Union Flag was painted in 1977 for the Queen's silver jubilee. I remember it being painted and I always thought it was for the "I'm Backing Britain Campaign".

I'm sitting right now in my factory unit at Hamble just off Ensign Way. This area west of Hamble Lane used to be an airfield, Hamble South airfield to be precise. The factory here used to build the 'Armstrong Whitworth Ensign' hence the name of the road 'Ensign Way'. At the bottom of this road there is still a concrete slipway which was originally built to launch and retrieve seaplanes. When I bought the unit in 1990 there was an old shed/hangar down by the shore, now gone.

http://www.hamblehistory.org.uk/community/hamble-local-history-society-12978/hambles-airfields/

In the graveyard of Hamble church (The Priory Church of St Andrew the Apostle) is the grave of Alliott Verdon Roe, founder in 1910 of the Avro Aircraft company and later (I believe) the Vero range of companies.

Roy Chadwick used to work here too. He was the designer of the Avro504K, the Lancaster and what was to become the Vulcan. There is a blue plaque at 38 Chessel Avenue in Bitterne where he lived from 1922-29.

http://roychadwick.com/

We must also mention of course RJ Mitchell who lived at 2 Russell Place, Portswood whilst working at Woolston and later at what are now the IBM laboratories at Hursley. He also has a blue plaque. He previously lived at Radstock Road, Woolston.

http://sotonopedia.wikidot.com/page-browse:mitchell-reginald-j

This sotonopedia looks interesting. I might have a browse later tonight.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

On a similar theme, until comparatively recently there used to be a smell of tar when driving on the Totton flyover when visiting down there. Was this from the same location near Fawley or something more local to Totton.

As for pubs, have fond memories of a pub crawl arounf Totton and Eling, especially the two opposite each other, from recollection Village Bells, and is it the Rufus ?