10 years ago - JPT final

jawillwill

One of the best days experienced as a Saint.

50,000 of us chanting, 'The Saints.... are coming......' to the tune of the Skids when the teams were coming out. The Carlisle fans I spoke to after said they had never heard anything like it.

I hold very fond memories of that day. It turned out to be the last game of football I watched with my father before pancreatic cancer took him from us and he has one of the named stones at Wembley on the walkways.

Good memories.

Could you imagine how disappointing it would have been for the game to be cancelled. Wouldn't wish that on any fans...

That would be awful. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Still incredible to me that our team then had two future England internationals (possibly 3 if Antonio ever gets a game), one french international and a Portuguese international that would start for the winning European finals & Nations League teams!

Fantastic time to be a saints fan

Still incredible to me that our team then had two future England internationals (possibly 3 if Antonio ever gets a game), one french international and a Portuguese international that would start for the winning European finals & Nations League teams!

Fantastic time to be a saints fan

And we still never managed to lift the League one title or the Championship tittle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good memories.

Thanks for posting that, great memories. Wonder if I'll get the chance of seeing us win a final at Wembley again.

Wish we could have some of those players in their prime again now.

Few other observations:

Papa Waigo - glad he got a goal to cement his place in our history books. I'd forgotten his celebration.

Antonio - shame it ended after a season, although I've tried to forget his goal celebration.

Marcus Liebherr - pity it ended for him so soon. Shame we can't have another owner like him.

Shirts - much better.

FlyBe - RIP.

Just watching it live on the official site. Three-nil at the moment. Carlisle might have a goal in them, but I reckon it'll end 4-1.

Lambert, Lallana, Antonio and Papa Waigo was an insane front four for League One!

Papa Waigo was over rated he was okay but I remember some of our more special fans claiming that he was offside a lot because he was so good the other players couldn’t pick out his runs. They later said the same about Tanadari Lee.

It was also a period when many of our fans claimed this saints team would beat the England national team and we were on an unstoppable match to the champions league.

Great days though and what a few years to be a saints fan.

Papa Waigo was over rated he was okay but I remember some of our more special fans claiming that he was offside a lot because he was so good the other players couldn’t pick out his runs. They later said the same about Tanadari Lee.

It was also a period when many of our fans claimed this saints team would beat the England national team and we were on an unstoppable match to the champions league.

Yeah fair point about Papa - but, as i said, it was League One. And they were great day.

It did end up 4-1 as I predicted.

Marcus taking pictures at the end with his little camera still brings a lump to the throat.

You'll never win that, you'll never win tha-at... Johnstone's Paint Trophy - you'll never win that!

THANK YOU Saints for showing that again.

Great watch after 10 years, the only down side for me was the Skate commentator - stupid comments every couple of mins

IMO Jose Fonte was a class above everyone else on the pitch.

If you can show any other games how about

(1) The 3-2 against liver poo a couple of years ago with Klipperity standing on the touchline scratching his head.

(2) The 4-0 v Coventry when we went up.

(3) the 1-0 at weeds when Kelvin made save after save.

(4) the 3-2 come back against mk dons (Jonny Forte 2 in 3 mins)

(5) the 4-0 at the Cheats this season

(6) the s/f against Palace in 76 (too much alcohol for me to remember clearly)

etc

Great watch after 10 years, the only down side for me was the Skate commentator - stupid comments every couple of mins

(1) The 3-2 against liver poo a couple of years ago with Klipperity standing on the touchline scratching his head.

etc

All of those - and I'd love to see the 79 League Cup quarter and semi finals against Man City and Leeds. Vivid memories of The Dell being absolutely rammed for both of those.

etc

That was the game that convinced me we were going up! Can’t remember where in the season it was but that did it for me.

Was s**t faced in the Bedes Lea. Brilliant atmosphere

Papa Waigo still playing in UAE for Masafi

Just watching it live on the official site. Three-nil at the moment. Carlisle might have a goal in them, but I reckon it'll end 4-1.

Lambert, Lallana, Antonio and Papa Waigo was an insane front four for League One!

Just looking back at a few of our games from back then...

We had a 5-1 win away to Bristol Rovers. We started with Puncheon, Lallana, Lambert and Antonio, then brought Connolly, Barnard and Waigo off the bench. What a squad that was, not bad considering we started the season with Patterson and Saganowski up front.

Just looking back at a few of our games from back then...

We had a 5-1 win away to Bristol Rovers. We started with Puncheon, Lallana, Lambert and Antonio, then brought Connolly, Barnard and Waigo off the bench. What a squad that was, not bad considering we started the season with Patterson and Saganowski up front.

Didn’t olly Lancashire start a few early on too? And Lloyd James was our right back until we brought John Otsemebor in on loan from Norwich