Thread: Free kicks

Default Free kicks

Saw a tweet earlier about Beckham being the top premier league free kick taker with 15 goals. It was lower than I thought.

How many did MLT get?

How many has JWP got? I make it 6? Has he got a chance of beating the record?

And what's your favourite Saints free kick goal.

Passes the time right.

I'd say MLT v Wimbledon for uniqueness but I wasn't there. Actually being there it's MLT v QPR from a silly angle. Honourable mention to JP Saejis for the equaliser at Watford, that was a great moment to be at.

MLT v Swindon is a rarely featured goal, and quite spectacular.

Lambert v Chelsea, and also v Stoke from an angle you didn't expect him to attempt from.

JWP v Watford this season.

Going back, McCalliog's improvisation for Osgood at Bradford in 1976 is a stand out free kick in our history.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    MLT v Swindon is a rarely featured goal, and quite spectacular.

Lambert v Chelsea, and also v Stoke from an angle you didn't expect him to attempt from.

JWP v Watford this season.

Going back, McCalliog's improvisation for Osgood at Bradford in 1976 is a stand out free kick in our history.
    That was a great free kick, i was stood right behind it at the back of the Milton

MLTs one v Villa c94 was a good one too, not a particularly good free kick, arguable the keeper should saved it having got a hand to it but it went in and was the injury time winner in front of the Milton.

I remember Russell Osman scoring an absolute belter in about 89 at home v Everton, played sideways to him and he hit it like a rocket from about 25 yards. Game finished 2-2, most famous for Paul Rideout missing an open goal from a yard out and falling on his arse in the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    That was a great free kick, i was stood right behind it at the back of the Milton

MLTs one v Villa c94 was a good one too, not a particularly good free kick, arguable the keeper should saved it having got a hand to it but it went in and was the injury time winner in front of the Milton.

I remember Russell Osman scoring an absolute belter in about 89 at home v Everton, played sideways to him and he hit it like a rocket from about 25 yards. Game finished 2-2, most famous for Paul Rideout missing an open goal from a yard out and falling on his arse in the last minute.
    so technically Donnys goal doesn’t count, it was not scored with a free kick, bit like Mattys goal against Wimbledon.
    just being pedantic like.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles34 View Post
    so technically Donnys goal doesn’t count, it was not scored with a free kick, bit like Mattys goal against Wimbledon.
    just being pedantic like.
    Maybe we need to break it down to direct and indirect free kicks then, or not be so pedantic like.

Maybe we need to break it down to direct and indirect free kicks then, or not be so pedantic like.
    see, you're still wrong there though.
    Both were direct free kicks, they were just played into 'open play'.
    Sorry, still being pedantic...like.

Blog Entries

The one that sticks in my head is the one v Cardiff - Llallana probably just outside the box squares across the top of the box to Surman who seemingly has an airshot, producing a big groan from the crowd, only for Chris Baird to come on to the wayward ball like an express train and bludgeon the ball which screams into the net like an Exocet Missile, that thankfully the keeper didn't get his hands to otherwise they would have both been just flapping about on his wrists.

So where does that fit into the criteria of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    The one that sticks in my head is the one v Cardiff - Llallana probably just outside the box squares across the top of the box to Surman who seemingly has an airshot, producing a big groan from the crowd, only for Chris Baird to come on to the wayward ball like an express train and bludgeon the ball which screams into the net like an Exocet Missile, that thankfully the keeper didn't get his hands to otherwise they would have both been just flapping about on his wrists.

So where does that fit into the criteria of this thread.
    Doesnt count unfortunately.

This would be a good and very important on but as was not direct doesn't count, 3 mins in, watch it

MLT vs WHAM in '94 - it was my first away game

Blog Entries

Doesnt count unfortunately.

This would be a good and very important on but as was not direct doesn't count, 3 mins in, watch it

Those were the days - especially the chant after the goal, so friendly and very likely to happen back then.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Those were the days - especially the chant after the goal, so friendly and very likely to happen back then.
    Chaos after the game in understand.

Osman scored some quality goals that season. There were two others, one v Charlton away (at Selhurst Park) on New Year's Day and Coventry at home on the last game of the season. I was at both, but can't remember if either were free-kicks, or just long range efforts? Can't find anything on YouTube either.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Mikey View Post
    Osman scored some quality goals that season. There were two others, one v Charlton away (at Selhurst Park) on New Year's Day and Coventry at home on the last game of the season. I was at both, but can't remember if either were free-kicks, or just long range efforts? Can't find anything on YouTube either.
    Remember Donnys at Selhurst, pretty sure that was a free kick. He was a bit of a cult hero back then, specially as he was a famous movie star too.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Saw a tweet earlier about Beckham being the top premier league free kick taker with 15 goals. It was lower than I thought.

How many did MLT get?

How many has JWP got? I make it 6? Has he got a chance of beating the record?

And what's your favourite Saints free kick goal.

Passes the time right.

I'd say MLT v Wimbledon for uniqueness but I wasn't there. Actually being there it's MLT v QPR from a silly angle. Honourable mention to JP Saejis for the equaliser at Watford, that was a great moment to be at.
    According to opta, 7 https://mobile.twitter.com/OptaJoe/s...21798668587009.

Since then though jwp has added Watford, so he only 2 behind now https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tel...atthew-le/amp/

Didn’t Beattie score a belter away to Chelsea?

Quote Originally Posted by sambosa75 View Post
    He got one away to Spurs if I recall correctly.

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    According to opta, 7 https://mobile.twitter.com/OptaJoe/s...21798668587009.

Since then though jwp has added Watford, so he only 2 behind now https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tel...atthew-le/amp/
    This proves the people who criticise JWPs freekicks taking as being overrated with very little end product are mental, as they wouldn't say the same thing about MLT with his freekicks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    This proves the people who criticise JWPs freekicks taking as being overrated with very little end product are mental, as they wouldn't say the same thing about MLT with his freekicks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    And you realise that there was a league before the premier league (when football apparently started in this country) in which Le Tiss scored free kicks in.

Would be more interesting to see the ratio of shots from freekicks/goals ......as I'm sure Beckham would have had a lot more opportunities than MLT.

I remember a home game against Chelsea at the Dell where we went 2-0 up, then Chelsea pulled it back to 2-2. We waited for the inevitable Chelsea winner but instead Saints got a late free kick just outside the area which was buried for a 3-2 win. I'm pretty sure that was Beattie.

He did indeed. Fairly certain it was New Years Day and we won 2-4.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I remember a home game against Chelsea at the Dell where we went 2-0 up, then Chelsea pulled it back to 2-2. We waited for the inevitable Chelsea winner but instead Saints got a late free kick just outside the area which was buried for a 3-2 win. I'm pretty sure that was Beattie.
    Yes it was, a late winner, i think it was the last season at the Dell, was a great game.

23. Default

Quote Originally Posted by skintsaint View Post
    Would be more interesting to see the ratio of shots from freekicks/goals ......as I'm sure Beckham would have had a lot more opportunities than MLT.
    Beckham isn't fit to lace the boots of MLT.

Le Tiss was, and still is, the best I have ever seen. Beckham was the most over rated player in living memory. And it annoys me that he's setting up a fake club over the pond where his money and influence could have done a lot to help people from where he came from. Shame

Quote Originally Posted by skintsaint View Post
    Fair point. Le Tissier had to shoot from some free kicks miles out as he knew no one else was going to do anything.

I remember one awful game at the Dell where we were never going to score. We got a free kick 30 yards out and he didn't want to take it, so Venison stood there not knowing what to do. Le Tissier walked back shouting at him and just tapped it sideways for him to shoot. It flew miles over but I think he was just annoyed no one in the team would take any responsibility.

SRL against Tranmere. He must have been 60 or 70 yards out (really?? Try 30 yards) and it seemed to speed up the further it went. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PllUSVrYCoo

Re JW-P scoring 6 ? I can only think of 5 (2 v West Brom and 1 each v Manchester United, Spurs and Watford) - which one am I missing?

I don't think anyone has mentioned Gareth Bale?

He started really whacking them in from range, this then led him to get noticed and the rest is history...