The 'Lockdown' Saints Quiz

Colinjb

At QPR. twice. 4-0 in 85 and 2-0 in 86. By the time we won there in 88 they were back on grass.

I'm guessing but was the 4-3 win at Luton in 91 on plastic?

Yes it was, Luton got rid of their plastic pitch at the end of that season, was the only time we won on it, they beat us 7-0 and 6-0 though. Your question sir.

Who was the first player to be sent off at St Marys Stadium?

The first game I saw at St Mary's was a 3-1 defeat against Villa. I think Rory Delap got a red card that night followed by a Villa player later, so I'll say Delap

The first game I saw at St Mary's was a 3-1 defeat against Villa. I think Rory Delap got a red card that night followed by a Villa player later, so I'll say Delap

I think you’re right, remember now you’ve said it, first night game at st Mary’s delap got sent off just after ha,f time then a villa player a couple of minutes later.

Ok, as it's Easter weekend, this question is about a match on Easter Monday 2006. Saints beat Millwall 2-0 in the championship, a result that confirmed Millwall's relegation to League 1. During the game, a light plane flew over the stadium trailing the banner "Time to go, Rupert Lowe". Those 2 things aside, there was something else significant about that match - what was it?

Ok, as it's Easter weekend, this question is about a match on Easter Monday 2006. Saints beat Millwall 2-0 in the championship, a result that confirmed Millwall's relegation to League 1. During the game, a light plane flew over the stadium trailing the banner "Time to go, Rupert Lowe". Those 2 things aside, there was something else significant about that match - what was it?

Gareth Bale's debut.

I think that was the game when I saw a Saints fan spark a Millwall fan out in the car park. The Millwall guy was running around gobbing off and trying to provoke people. A Saints fan then obliged by giving him a right hook on the chin. He went down a bit like his team.

OK - this is mega obscure.....

In recent times, we have moved away from the good old fashioned numbers 1 to 11, with higher and higher (often random) numbers being assigned to the squad.

So, often the keeper isn't No.1, maybe the No.2 is injured etc and the lowest number in the starting is No.3 or higher.

In Saints's history, in our starting XI, what has been the highest number on the back of the player's shirt and that player has still been the lowest number of all the Saints players in the starting line up?

What was the number and who wore it?

Nope. Guys - it’s going to be a low number. Can you really imagine us fielding a team in which none of the players from, say, 1 - 15 start the match?

Was thinking that FA Cup game with Cov about 9 years ago, we fielded a few second string.

Well. I'll end the torment and pose an alternative ( the answer btw was Gardos).

Which Saints player (i.e. at Southampton at the time) was the last to score a World Cup (in the finals, not qualifiers) goal which was decisive in determining the outcome of that match?

Edited by SaintBobby