Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: What if There is no Transfer Window This Year?

  1. #1

    Default What if There is no Transfer Window This Year?

    If the authorities involved say there will be no transfer window this year does that give us a chance to grab a few non contracted players on the cheap? Maybe on a small wage plus pay as you play bonus until normality resumes. Contracts would need to be pandemic related for as long as this issue remains.

  2. #2

    Default

    As soon as the season is voided, which will be May/June time, the transfer window will be open and run as normal I'd imagine, even if next season can't start until October/November time.

    I think we'll see some international weeks ditched and maybe the league cup dropped for next season to account for the late season start. Given how things have gone I'd settle for keeping our squad together and just adding a defender.

  3. #3

    Default

    Who do we have whose contracts expire in June? How would we replace them?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    As soon as the season is voided, which will be May/June time, the transfer window will be open and run as normal I'd imagine, even if next season can't start until October/November time.

    I think we'll see some international weeks ditched and maybe the league cup dropped for next season to account for the late season start. Given how things have gone I'd settle for keeping our squad together and just adding a defender.
    You wont catch me at many games if they do.

  5. Default

    I hope Adrian is just being combative. This season should be completed in whatever manner is agreed and to whatever timescale is agreed.
    NEXT season is the one that should be adjusted. Maybe just play each time once. Top 9 teams play all games away, bottom 9 teams play their games at home. Admittedly, that wouldn't benefit Saints based on this season's results, but that is my suggestion.
    Transfer window - nothing happens until the final day anyway, like an ebay auction, so not an issue if contracted.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    I hope Adrian is just being combative. This season should be completed in whatever manner is agreed and to whatever timescale is agreed.
    NEXT season is the one that should be adjusted. Maybe just play each time once. Top 9 teams play all games away, bottom 9 teams play their games at home. Admittedly, that wouldn't benefit Saints based on this season's results, but that is my suggestion.
    Transfer window - nothing happens until the final day anyway, like an ebay auction, so not an issue if contracted.
    And if the contract expires 30th June ?

  7. #7

    Default

    Reason I asked this question is, will clubs who have/are claiming government pandemic crisis aid be allowed to bid for players if transfer window goes ahead.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CHELSEA
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    As soon as the season is voided, which will be May/June time, the transfer window will be open and run as normal I'd imagine, even if next season can't start until October/November time.

    I think we'll see some international weeks ditched and maybe the league cup dropped for next season to account for the late season start. Given how things have gone I'd settle for keeping our squad together and just adding a defender.
    Agree, this has to be the most likely scenario. Once players are out of contract the window has to open, as the out of contract players will be free to find new clubs whatever the league decide. Otherwise it would be restraint of trade. No point screwing up next season to save this already screwed up season. Though I would hope we would add more than a defender......

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    Who do we have whose contracts expire in June? How would we replace them?
    Only one who will be staying IMO is Long. Cedric and Yoshida are also up but given they're out on loan presumably means they're leaving.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    You wont catch me at many games if they do.
    Things have changed, think it could be worse than that and we could well lose Ings, Redmond or JWP if a decent bid comes in. All english of a good age performing well. Worried we'll be desperate for money so keeping our best players seems like a positive.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Things have changed, think it could be worse than that and we could well lose Ings, Redmond or JWP if a decent bid comes in. All english of a good age performing well. Worried we'll be desperate for money so keeping our best players seems like a positive.
    That could well be true. I still won’t be going though.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    I hope Adrian is just being combative. This season should be completed in whatever manner is agreed and to whatever timescale is agreed.
    NEXT season is the one that should be adjusted. Maybe just play each time once. Top 9 teams play all games away, bottom 9 teams play their games at home. Admittedly, that wouldn't benefit Saints based on this season's results, but that is my suggestion.
    Transfer window - nothing happens until the final day anyway, like an ebay auction, so not an issue if contracted.
    Not at all, it just won't be finished.

    All this talk among fans about what's best, it's irrelevant. It's broadcasters, rights deals and advertising revenue that'll decide this. Time will go by and it'll be clear just how much next season is being jeopardised. This season is already compromised. Many will lose a lot of money because of it. But that's based on 9 rounds of games. They won't risk a whole season.

    They can leave it there, take a proper break and come back when it's safe with full crowds and massive anticipation for a football starved nation. Viewing figures and ad revenues sky high.

    Or persist with 9 rounds of games. Behind closed doors? Ruin the integrity of the competition. Wait for crowds? Then it'll be September at an optimistic push, players need time to get match fit, many people have their minds on other things than football, many can barely remember what was going on last season. And you end up with 2020/21 starting in 2021. You end up with football coming back for a short time followed by another big break. That's the last thing broadcasters or fans want.

    People are underestimating how long this goes on. Vaccines aren't quick. Hopefully it dies down and sport is resumed by the end of the year but if it's still a major issue you can't have huge medical resources and policing dedicated to entertainment while hospitals are over capacity and people are dying. It just won't happen.

    I think people are desperate to see some football. Liverpool fans obviously desperate to make it all about them. And yes it's hugely unfortunate for some clubs but voiding is the most fair solution and most sensible by miles.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    That could well be true. I still won’t be going though.
    What if we have to resort to a Hoedt/Vestergaard CB combo? That'd be entertaining

  14. #14

    Default

    If you mare supporting opposition maybe

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ONE FOOT IN
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    I haven't seen this suggested anywhere but surely the most reasonable way to resolve this season bearing in mind when we are probably able to resume is to scrap the 2020/21 league season. When we re-start we pick up where we left off with the league and cups. Then hopefully the 2020/21 cup competitions can take place as usual and maybe an additional cup (ZDS?) if that results in too few games.

    Pros: fair to teams in promotion or relegation positions.
    fits in with the most likely re-start time.
    Cons: Liverpool most likely end up champions and we miss out on the joy of seeing all those scouse tears, hand-wringing and whinging,
    sorting out players contracts,

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Guildford
    Posts
    1,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I haven't seen this suggested anywhere but surely the most reasonable way to resolve this season bearing in mind when we are probably able to resume is to scrap the 2020/21 league season. When we re-start we pick up where we left off with the league and cups. Then hopefully the 2020/21 cup competitions can take place as usual and maybe an additional cup (ZDS?) if that results in too few games.

    Pros: fair to teams in promotion or relegation positions.
    fits in with the most likely re-start time.
    Cons: Liverpool most likely end up champions and we miss out on the joy of seeing all those scouse tears, hand-wringing and whinging,
    sorting out players contracts,
    I can't see how that would work. Clubs in all leagues need to be playing matches every week to maintain revenue from all sources. That wouldn't happen if knockout cup competitions were the main competitive football arranged. If the conclusion of this season delays the start of next season then next season has to be changed in some way and the most likely way to do that is to adapt or remove the cup competitions perhaps so that there are many fewer rounds.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,873

    Default

    It seems to me that too many people are not facing up to the reality of just how serious this situation is. Things will not be back to normal until well into 2022 at the earliest if then and by normal I mean when it really will be safe to allow crowds to assemble and football matches to be played and people have stopped worrying about infection, contagion and the like. Of course they can play football behind close doors if all involved have been tested and proved negative but even that is a long way off as football hardly qualifies as an essential service when we are currently unable to test more than a small proportion of NHS front-line staff. This season will inevitably be abandoned and there is a better than evens chance that the 2020-21 season will also be scrapped.

    The Covid-19 genie is out of the bottle and presumably is here to stay. It will remain a threat to many even when effective vaccines are fully deployed just as flu strains are now despite universal vaccination. That will continue to deter a huge number of people from assembling anywhere so even if stadiums were re-opened would anybody take the risk of going there. I wouldn't for sure. Any 'freedom that we are likely to be granted' this year and next may amount to little more than being able to visit the homes of close family members and vice-versa again all subject to testing and passports.

    What on earth is confounding the world's footballing authorities about all of this and their meaningless uttering of "cracking on" dand so on defeats me, its nowhere near being rocket science. Of course all of this presents a bleak prospect but we are living in the bleakest of times.

  18. Default

    Football next season will be a different ball game.

  19. #19

    Default

    I agree that football is different now. I think a lot of people believed that the bubble would burst at some point, when you started seeing players moving for 190+m. I don't think this is how anyone saw the bubble bursting though.

    Financially, the effects of what's happened in the world over the last months are going to be prevalent in our society for a long, long time. Football clubs will be feeling the effect of this for a long, long time - all over the world. I think we'll see a normalization of transfer fees and wages, at least I hope so, because there is a lot of recovery to happen in every economy.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I haven't seen this suggested anywhere but surely the most reasonable way to resolve this season bearing in mind when we are probably able to resume is to scrap the 2020/21 league season. When we re-start we pick up where we left off with the league and cups. Then hopefully the 2020/21 cup competitions can take place as usual and maybe an additional cup (ZDS?) if that results in too few games.

    Pros: fair to teams in promotion or relegation positions.
    fits in with the most likely re-start time.
    Cons: Liverpool most likely end up champions and we miss out on the joy of seeing all those scouse tears, hand-wringing and whinging,
    sorting out players contracts,
    Sky/BT/Amazon and broadcasters around the world losing out on multi billion pound rights deals. Not a chance this will happen.

    Sacrifice a 38 game season (and a highly anticipated one at that after a long break) to save a 9 match week season that's already totally compromised.

    That will be the choice ultimately. And it won't be next season that's sacrificed.

  21. #21

    Default

    Remember when we lost 9-0 at home?

    NOPE.

    Didn't. Fcking. Happen.

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    It seems to me that too many people are not facing up to the reality of just how serious this situation is. Things will not be back to normal until well into 2022 at the earliest if then and by normal I mean when it really will be safe to allow crowds to assemble and football matches to be played and people have stopped worrying about infection, contagion and the like. Of course they can play football behind close doors if all involved have been tested and proved negative but even that is a long way off as football hardly qualifies as an essential service when we are currently unable to test more than a small proportion of NHS front-line staff. This season will inevitably be abandoned and there is a better than evens chance that the 2020-21 season will also be scrapped.

    The Covid-19 genie is out of the bottle and presumably is here to stay. It will remain a threat to many even when effective vaccines are fully deployed just as flu strains are now despite universal vaccination. That will continue to deter a huge number of people from assembling anywhere so even if stadiums were re-opened would anybody take the risk of going there. I wouldn't for sure. Any 'freedom that we are likely to be granted' this year and next may amount to little more than being able to visit the homes of close family members and vice-versa again all subject to testing and passports.

    What on earth is confounding the world's footballing authorities about all of this and their meaningless uttering of "cracking on" dand so on defeats me, its nowhere near being rocket science. Of course all of this presents a bleak prospect but we are living in the bleakest of times.
    Think it's pressure from broadcasters.

    The impact of lost sporting content is HUGE. I've been in TV analysis work for years and pay-TV has been struggling anyway, but sport and football in particularly stops subscriptions falling away. There's some panic about what it'll cost them even if they can reclaim some of the money paid out in lost rights. I imagine in the future a lot more if not all of it will end up on Amazon anyway. Sky is a little screwed, especially as they'll lose most Disney content now too.

    FAs and UEFA are trying to show they're giving it time and thinking of everything. I think the CL will be saved with neutral grounds and that's fair enough. Can easily play that out in November/December and have a 2020 winner.

    But other european leagues will announce voided seasons in the next couple of months and huge pressure will come on the premier league.

  23. Default

    There will definitely be a transfer window this year, otherwise you'll have situations where a team in League Two for example have the majority of their squad out of contract at the end of this season (when it finishes) and would not be able to replace them.

    Not a chance there's no window when this finishes.

  24. #24

    Default

    Of course there will be a window.
    Whether teams will be active is another matter however.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ONE FOOT IN
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Sky/BT/Amazon and broadcasters around the world losing out on multi billion pound rights deals. Not a chance this will happen.

    Sacrifice a 38 game season (and a highly anticipated one at that after a long break) to save a 9 match week season that's already totally compromised.

    That will be the choice ultimately. And it won't be next season that's sacrificed.
    Clubs, and Klopp in particular, are always moaning about too many games. TV won't miss out. There is this season's European cup competitions to complete and these could be repeated so that there is a double dose next season - they start on a league basis so the results would probably not repeat and so the teams in the final rounds would be different.
    There is plenty of scope for formulating an additional domestic cup competition to make up any shortfall of games. It would be organised on a group basis going on to a knock-out stage. The exact format can be left until the length of the season is better known and could be done on a basis of separate cups for each division.

    Problems to resolve, yes, but fair on this season's teams and worth thinking about rather than just saying "no chance".

  26. #26

    Default

    Problem is with such a mess being made by the pandemic we can't guarantee that football will have restarted before the end of the year.

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Clubs, and Klopp in particular, are always moaning about too many games. TV won't miss out. There is this season's European cup competitions to complete and these could be repeated so that there is a double dose next season - they start on a league basis so the results would probably not repeat and so the teams in the final rounds would be different.
    There is plenty of scope for formulating an additional domestic cup competition to make up any shortfall of games. It would be organised on a group basis going on to a knock-out stage. The exact format can be left until the length of the season is better known and could be done on a basis of separate cups for each division.

    Problems to resolve, yes, but fair on this season's teams and worth thinking about rather than just saying "no chance".
    The Premier League is a huge brand. Broadcasters pay for that. Not other domestic cups. Just the league. Those rights deals extend across every region and country.

    There will be a full 2020/21 season. It might well end up having to start in 2021 if the pandemic drags on. But that's what we'll start with.

    That's before you get into the football pyramid and promotion/relegation being an integral part of the sport. They'll all be voided and all start over sometime September-January I'd imagine.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    I was there when Pancake went mad. 15/04/2010.
    Posts
    5,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Billy View Post
    Football next season will be a different ball game.
    Snooker?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •