Random records that Saints hold

jawillwill

Off the top of my head, I can think of the following:

- Fastest top flight hat-trick (Mane v Villa)

- Fastest Premier League (all time top flight?) goal - Long

- Biggest home defeat - v Leicester.

- All time youngest scorer of a hat-trick? - Shearer v Arsenal

- ****test local rivals - Pompey.

- Highest proportion of goals scored in a Premier League season by a single player (Beattie).

What others are there?

• Like 1

Are we still the only English team to sign a reigning European Player of the Year. ( Keegan ).

Has any other team sold 2 brothers to another team in a single transfer transaction ? ( Ray and Rod Wallace to Leeds ).

Edited by badgerx16

Not completely sure if it's a record but in 1981 we had four England captains playing in the same Saints side - Ball, Keegan, Channon and Watson, and in the following year 1982 we had six England captains on the books Ball, Keegan, Channon, Watson, Shilton and Mills, and a future England captain getting games at centre half, Mark Wright. Happy days!

• Like 2

First club to have a competitive match using flood lights.

First team from the Southern League to reach an FA Cup Final. Sadly Spuds trumped it the following year (and no I wasn't there).

The only team from the Southern League to reach 2 FA Cup finals and the last team from the Southern League to reach an FA Cup final!

Painfully, in the 92-93 season away at Spurs I think we might have set a record for the fastest ever transition from 1-0 up to 3 goals down - just 5 minutes.

Just checked that one. We were 1-0 up at half time and conceded 4 goals in 5 minutes. I was about to write that we scored 3 goals in 4 minutes against Newcastle in 94-95, but think that the Tottenham game trumps that

Has any other team sold 2 brothers to another team in a single transfer transaction ? ( Ray and Rod Wallace to Leeds ).

I remember at least one game where Danny, Rodney and Ray all started. I think it was reported at the time as being the first time 3 brothers had started a top flight match for the same team, but I could be wrong.

Lambert is the only England player to have scored with his very first touch for England, achieved while he was a Saint.

First LED floodlit stadium.

Only team to have caused an opponent to change shirt colours at half time.

We're the only team to have won by four or more goals in the South Coast Derby.

Most likely team for Mark Lawrenson to get his prediction wrong on (probably!)

Does anyone have a better top flight penalty record than Le Tissier?

Interesting point, he missed one out of how many ?

Lambert though was 100% with Saints.

47/48, although I'm not sure how many of those were cup games.

The one he missed was a league game though.

There are bound to be a few players on a smaller number of penalties with 100% I'd imagine, but Le Tissier's record was so far above what he'd have been expected to get on average, it was silly.

5 major cup games within the shortest period - 11 days in March 1979.

10th WBA (A) FA5,

12th WBA (H) FA5 replay,

17th Forest LC final,

19th Arsenal (H) FA6,

21st Arsenal (A) FA6 replay.

We then had a league game on 24th - away to Bolton. Remind Klopp when he bleats.

5 major cup games within the shortest period - 11 days in March 1979.

10th WBA (A) FA5,

12th WBA (H) FA5 replay,

17th Forest LC final,

19th Arsenal (H) FA6,

21st Arsenal (A) FA6 replay.

We then had a league game on 24th - away to Bolton. Remind Klopp when he bleats.

Pretty remarkable although I don't think your recollection of the West Brom fixtures are correct as it wasn't played on Saturday and the Monday.

Apologies Victor - I've just checked and you are indeed correct. I thought the home tie was on a Tuesday or Wednesday; remember getting the train down for it and going. But the particular day of the week has been lost in the mists of time. Had also forgotten it was just before the LC Final as well.

Happy days. (apart from the LC Final result of course0.

Edited by Badger

Pretty remarkable although I don't think your recollection of the West Brom fixtures are correct as it wasn't played on Saturday and the Monday.

Apologies Victor - I've just checked and you are indeed correct. I thought the home tie was on a Tuesday or Wednesday; remember getting the train down for it and going. But the particular day of the week has been lost in the mists of time. Had also forgotten it was just before the LC Final as well.

If we had drawn the replay, there would have been a 2nd on the Wednesday.

We should have won the home game against Arsenal but a poor parry by Gennoe gifted them an equaliser. We asked Arsenal if they would postpone the replay by one day as we were knackered after 4 games in 9 days but they refused. I remembered that irony when Wenger had a particularly loud outburst about having to play something like 3 in 8.

We should have won the home game against Arsenal but a poor parry by Gennoe gifted them an equaliser. We asked Arsenal if they would postpone the replay by one day as we were knackered after 4 games in 9 days but they refused. I remembered that irony when Wenger had a particularly loud outburst about having to play something like 3 in 8.

Gennoe fell from grace pretty spectacularly around that time after the LC final, about as quickly as he had risen. He was outstanding after he first got in the team, penalty save at Everton in October, incredible at Reading in the League Cup keeping us in the match were particular highlights. It seemed Lawrie had signed a real gem and that he'd soon be among the top keepers in the league. But his confidence evaporated in the second half collapse v Forest and he didn't recover.

Gennoe fell from grace pretty spectacularly around that time after the LC final, about as quickly as he had risen. He was outstanding after he first got in the team, penalty save at Everton in October, incredible at Reading in the League Cup keeping us in the match were particular highlights. It seemed Lawrie had signed a real gem and that he'd soon be among the top keepers in the league. But his confidence evaporated in the second half collapse v Forest and he didn't recover.

That was the season that was the subject of Lawie Mcmenemy's Diary of A Season. From memory I think that there was a comment in there by Ted Bates along the lines of Gennoe's diving being suspect.

It is actually 3 - Shilton, Begovic and Crossley

Oh. I realised after I posted I should have been more specific, I was really meaning goals scored directly by keepers from their own half, such as Shilts and Begovic, hadn't really thought so much about keepers who come up for corners etc.