Random records that Saints hold

jawillwill

Not a record (unless you’re talking just Premier League) but apparently SMS is the second ‘lowest’ ground in the country at about 1metre above sea level. Grimsby is the lowest.

So when the Greenland glacier slides into the ocean Saints will have to ground share at Krap Nottarf? :scared:

Are we the only club to have installed a full under-soil heating system, presumably to meet some sort of UEFA stipulation, and then have never connected/commissioned it? I think I'm right in saying that we've never had a game frozen/snowed off at SMS? Because we are a) so close to the Itchen and b) at an altitude of

We had a match postponed while in League One against Huddersfield at St Mary's, but it was generally thought that it was for other reasons, as stated we have undersoil heating and had played matches in worse conditions prior. We then beat them 5-0 in March, so worked.

• 2 months later...
On 07/04/2020 at 20:45, mikec said:

I remember at least one game where Danny, Rodney and Ray all started. I think it was reported at the time as being the first time 3 brothers had started a top flight match for the same team, but I could be wrong.

Correct was there 

On 02/07/2020 at 23:25, hypochondriac said:

Not sure why anyone else would want to use such vapid and meaningless phrases.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I discovered over the weekend that we hold the record for the longest gap between our first appearance in an FA Cup Final and winning it for the first time, 76 years.  Leicester were getting close, on 72 years but they have foolishly given up the chance of taking this honour from us by actually winning the thing a few years too soon!!

• Haha 1

On 06/04/2020 at 15:55, jawillwill said:

Off the top of my head, I can think of the following:

- Fastest top flight hat-trick (Mane v Villa)

- Fastest Premier League (all time top flight?) goal - Long

- Biggest home defeat - v Leicester.

- All time youngest scorer of a hat-trick? - Shearer v Arsenal

- ****test local rivals - Pompey.

- Highest proportion of goals scored in a Premier League season by a single player (Beattie).

What others are there?

Officially, the most onesided derby in the country. It's got even more onesided since the Guardian published this table: Which two rivals have the world’s closest derby record? | Football | The Guardian

• Like 1

First British club to tour South America. We beat Argentina 8-0 in Buenos Aires in 1904, which is the record victory by any English team against them. The England national team have never beaten them by more than a 2-goal margin. From the early 20th century, when Saints were one of the best teams in the world, we hold record English victories againt several national teams. We beat Hungary 13-0 in Budapest in 1901 and France 11-0 in Paris in 1904.

British football clubs tours to South America - Wikipedia

Edited by Nordic Saint

2 hours ago, lettuce said:

Bit of a long shot but are we the first top-flight team to occupy every league position from 1st down to 17th in a single season? Feels like that should be some sort of record.

There’s got to be a good chance that’s a record.

• 3 months later...

Has any team ever recorded their largest ever home and away, victories and defeats (I think) in such a short space of time?

- Biggest home win vs Sunderland

- Biggest home loss v Leicester

- Biggest away loss v Man Utd

- Biggest away win v Newport.

Who's been lucky/unlucky enough to witness all 4 games?

1 hour ago, jawillwill said:

Has any team ever recorded their largest ever home and away, victories and defeats (I think) in such a short space of time?

- Biggest home win vs Sunderland

- Biggest home loss v Leicester

- Biggest away loss v Man Utd

- Biggest away win v Newport.

Who's been lucky/unlucky enough to witness all 4 games?

Think our biggest home win is 11-0 back in 1901 and 1902 against Northampton and Watford 

20 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

From the BBC website, only Prem team whose player has scored a hatrick and still lost. MLT v Forest lost 4-3, so Saints.

not Saints related,   but that Zambian player in the Olympics scored hat tricks in both of her first two games,  and didn't win either of them.

• 2 weeks later...