Ultimate Five a Side Team

Noodles34

See Franny on FB pick

Flowers

Matty

Marion

Rod Wallace

and himself!

so what would yours be and remember, it’s a five a side team, which is why, personally I wouldn’t have Le Tiss in, it’s about speed and versatility I reckon. VVD, probably best defender we have had, certainly in recent years, but in a 5 a side team?

Niemi

Bridge

Lallana

Danny Wallace

Shearer

too many to pick from!

See Franny on FB pick

Flowers

Matty

Marion

Rod Wallace

and himself!

so what would yours be and remember, it’s a five a side team, which is why, personally I wouldn’t have Le Tiss in, it’s about speed and versatility I reckon. VVD, probably best defender we have had, certainly in recent years, but in a 5 a side team?

Niemi

Bridge

Lallana

Danny Wallace

Shearer

too many to pick from!

Surely 5 aside is less about speed and more about ball control. For me its:

Niemi

Vvd

Lallana

MLT

Lambert

On the bench - Shearer, Mane and Ali Dia*

* Every 5 aside team has someone to make up the numbers (it's often me).

If I’m allowed to go further back where players were still in their prime (and still around in once case) I’d have

Shilts

Bally - you can’t not have the player described as one of the best one touch footballers ever in 5 a side

Mark Wright (VVD was a bridge too far)

MLT

Mane

wasn't it 25 players divided into groups of 5 and you could only pick one from each group?

not sure mate, just picked this up from FB, think Franny just picked 5 players and as he was one of them, i guess there was no particular criteria. Whats yours?

Forster - He'd fill a 5 a side goal and has been a decent shot stopper.

Fonte - Can play a pass and make a block

Lallana - Tricks and flicks

JWP - Energy and dead ball stuff

Lambert - Great first touch and knows where the goal is.

Anyone who hasn’t got Bally in their side, either didn’t see him play or is a half wit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Didn't see him play Senor Duck. I've only picked players I've seen. Case was close but JWP shaded him on workrate despite being an inferior player.

Ok, now having the night to think it over properly

Niemi

Bale

Lallana

Mane

Shearer

When people pick Bale and Shearer for great saints teams, I always wonder if they are really thinking of the player when they were at saints. Both of these were good for Saints, but way off their peaks. If you're going to pick a saints player based on how much they did at another club, you might as well pick Kanchelskis and Ripley, who were both key members of PL winning teams.

not sure mate, just picked this up from FB, think Franny just picked 5 players and as he was one of them, i guess there was no particular criteria. Whats yours?

Based on having seen them play live

Niemi

Van dijk

Mane

Le Tiss

Ward Prowse

Pre Premier team!

Shilton - best shot stopper I've seen.

Wright - excellent with ball at feet and a class defender.

Ball - one touch master.

Moran - under rated, had pace and knew where the goal was.

Keegan - think he would complement Moran perfectly and vice versa.

Since Premier.

Niemi - probably the best keeper we've had in Prem.

VVD - best defender we've had in Prem.

Lallana - great close control.

Mane - not just his speed but has a great eye for goal.

JWP - may not be the best player in the world but think he would do good job in this team.

When people pick Bale and Shearer for great saints teams, I always wonder if they are really thinking of the player when they were at saints. Both of these were good for Saints, but way off their peaks. If you're going to pick a saints player based on how much they did at another club, you might as well pick Kanchelskis and Ripley, who were both key members of PL winning teams.

fair comment BUT you know Shearer and Bale were bloody good for us. Yes, they were elevated on their next club(s) but they were still a lot better than what we had anyway.

Based on having seen them play live

Niemi

Van dijk

Mane

Le Tiss

Ward Prowse

see, I’m not so sure about VVD in a five a side team, think he’s too big to be honest. And Matty, obviously or arguably the best player we have ever had but again, there are not many free kicks in 5AS and whilst you cannot dispute his skills, just don’t think he would be quick enough.

Ward Prowse for the work rate, Lallana works so hard and covers every blade and is miles better at scoring than JWP.

feel free to rip my team :lol:

Pre Premier team!

Shilton - best shot stopper I've seen.

Wright - excellent with ball at feet and a class defender.

Ball - one touch master.

Moran - under rated, had pace and knew where the goal was.

Keegan - think he would complement Moran perfectly and vice versa.

Since Premier.

Niemi - probably the best keeper we've had in Prem.

VVD - best defender we've had in Prem.

Lallana - great close control.

Mane - not just his speed but has a great eye for goal.

JWP - may not be the best player in the world but think he would do good job in this team.

Are you Ian Branfoot?

No Le Tissier i suspect.

MLT's place is worth discussion when it comes to 5 a side. It's usually played at a more gut busting pace with a lot of quick acceleration and you have to keep very busy. Ball skills are important, sure, but he might not have been the best choice compared to a lot of our other players for this. There're reasons for including him, but it'd take someone a little obtuse to be unable to see the reasons for choosing other players.

MLT's place is worth discussion when it comes to 5 a side. It's usually played at a more gut busting pace with a lot of quick acceleration and you have to keep very busy. Ball skills are important, sure, but he might not have been the best choice compared to a lot of our other players for this. There're reasons for including him, but it'd take someone a little obtuse to be unable to see the reasons for choosing other players.

He must have picked JWP ahead of Matt for his “gut busting pace” then.

I must be “obtuse” then, because I can’t see how on earth anyone can pick Prowse above him.

He must have picked JWP ahead of Matt for his “gut busting pace” then.

I must be “obtuse” then, because I can’t see how on earth anyone can pick Prowse above him.

Really? Because I'm far more a fan of MLT than JWP, but having played a reasonable amount of 5 a side, I would be concerned about MLT not getting space and time to play his prefered game, but I can see JWP battling and managing those bursts of acceleration over short distance again and again. I can run and run, but the style of play in 5 a side always makes me feel like I'm about to vomit with the constant activity, acceleration, stopping and accelerating again. I wouldn't pick Beattie either, because I don't think its his game. It's a bit like how most would agree that VvD is one of our best ever players, but they've given good reason for missing him out in favour of others here. It's okay to disagree and feel that MLT would be able to function well in the format, but the Branfoot comment did seem pretty obtuse, yes, because most here have been able to see the arguments and reasoning, that you struggled more with.

Extraordinary to see the rehabilitation of JWP in the last 6 months! 'Most' fans wanted him sold to Watford or a 'Championship at best' club 12 months ago, now he appears in half the all-time 5 a-side teams!

My effort:

Niemi

Reuben Agboola

Ball

Mane

Keegan

B Team

Shilton

Mark Wright

Lallana

Pahars

SRL

see, I’m not so sure about VVD in a five a side team, think he’s too big to be honest. And Matty, obviously or arguably the best player we have ever had but again, there are not many free kicks in 5AS and whilst you cannot dispute his skills, just don’t think he would be quick enough.

Ward Prowse for the work rate, Lallana works so hard and covers every blade and is miles better at scoring than JWP.

feel free to rip my team :lol:

Van Dijk so so good on the ball and quick, reckon no one would get by him on a indoor pitch and he'd score a few too. le Tiss would ping them in from anywhere. Ward-Prowse, well i was struggling with a 5th player, i wanted work rate so decided for him over tadic for that reason alone, although if i did the list gain i've probably chose 3 different players and 3 different ones again tomorrow, the only ones i'd keep for deinfinite are Mane and Niemi.