Worst performance by a Southampton striker

beavis17

Pretty much any game played by Shane Long.

Cardiff at home last year stocks in my mind. Was absolutely no threat to one of the worst defences in the league, every time Sol Bamba brushed against him he threw himself to the floor and started waving his arms at the ref.

We had some pretty forgettable ‘performances’ from the likes of DMG, Pekhart and Robertson in the Championship too.

Easily fat Chaz away at Fulham. He was an absolute disgrace that day. Not just the worst striker performance, but one of the worst from anyone I’ve ever seen in a Saints shirt at any level.

If yours is so is mine

David Hirst scored two goals against Spurs in his second game for us to win the match 3-2, scored twice at Anfield when we won 3-2 and the winner at Leeds. Nine goals in 29 games is not brilliant but he deserves more than to be mentioned alongside some of the players here.

Frankie Bennett another in the Paul Moody vein

remember Kerry Dixon have a few shockers for us. Played against Chelsea and got widely cheered by the Chelsea fans and jeered by us

If you’ve read Dixon’s book it’s a surprise he could even get on the pitch, seemed to be in a mess for a few years. The Milton were singing Deadly Dixon Donkey Dowie but that song changed around within a few weeks.

Speedie v Boro, some Saints fans were so outraged at the lack of effort that a few in the lower East tried to get on the pitch to remove him as Branfoot seemed incapable of doing so. Dixon and Speedie outscore Shearer?

Mind you, Guido Carrillo underlines why Pellegrino achieved the impossible and toppled Branfoot as the worst ever manager in living memory. The Wigan game looked like a trialist from Bashley or Dorchester had snuck on so poor was the movement, first touch and lack of joining up with the play. Unlike at WBA, he was even not convincing in the air. Monaco must still laugh, we can only hope it was only £20m over many appearances he will never make. Ali Dia actually looked better v Leeds who genuinely was Southern League Level but could vaguely run although really couldn’t trap a bag of cement.

Someone mentioned Frankie Bennett - he really did clear the family centre upper level in the Milton terrace with one shot on goal.

For all of the MLTs, Bales, Manes, Channons, Shearers, Keegans, Lamberts etc we’ve seen some turd that belies belief.

I think when you take expectation, opposition, end result and legacy into account, the winner by a country mile is Carrillo.

Nothing personal against him, but his signing remains an absolute disgrace and one that we still haven't recovered from 2 years later.

Edited by Sunglasses Ron

Carillo was terrible but at least he tried. I'd rather that than Austin wandering around pointing to space he wants someone else to cover because he was too lazy to do it himself.

I'd never put Austin near the top of the list, he may have been a bit of a prat but he was a bargain and scored some really important goals.

I guarantee you, if I ever found myself playing for Saints, I'd give 150% effort, but would still make the top of this list as I would be ruthlessly exposed for the **** player that I am :-)

I cannot ever remember Ian Dowie having a good game.

I don't think Dowie was as bad as people painted him, although he never managed to overcome the following:

- not being photogenic ...

- not being Alan Shearer

- being a Branfoot signing

- being a lump of a CF

With those four insurmountable obstacles he was never going to win any popularity stakes at The Dell.

Jason Euell was particularly **** for us, as was Vincent Péricard although the entire team was awful at the time!!

I had a lovely nostalgia moment when I went to see Doncaster (my second team) v QPR in the Championship a couple of years after he left us and joined Donny. Some flatcapped elderly Yorkshireman jumped out of his seat yelling ‘Euell you’re ****!’. Some things never change.

Leon Best against Derby in the play-offs.

Some say he is still offside to this day!

I'd never put Austin near the top of the list, he may have been a bit of a prat but he was a bargain and scored some really important goals.

I guarantee you, if I ever found myself playing for Saints, I'd give 150% effort, but would still make the top of this list as I would be ruthlessly exposed for the **** player that I am :-)

He did score some crucial goals and wasn't always terrible, but by the end he was a waste of a shirt and that performance at Fulham was a disgrace.

I don't think Dowie was as bad as people painted him, although he never managed to overcome the following:

- not being photogenic ...

- not being Alan Shearer

- being a Branfoot signing

- being a lump of a CF

With those four insurmountable obstacles he was never going to win any popularity stakes at The Dell.

People hated Dowie when he first came in but he won the majority of fans over through a combination of sheer hard work and falling over to win free kicks that MLT scored from.

Best and McGoldrick were both pretty woeful but not as bad as Moody and Pericard.

I don’t see how anyone can mention Shane Long in the same breath as most of the ****e listed in this thread.

I would also give a dishonourable mention to Gordon Hobson, he was crap

Best and McGoldrick were both pretty woeful but not as bad as Moody and Pericard.

I don’t see how anyone can mention Shane Long in the same breath as most of the ****e listed in this thread.

I would also give a dishonourable mention to Gordon Hobson, he was crap

Scored a hat trick away at Man City so wasn't always crap.

Having looked him up I've seen that he scored 7 goals in 20 games in his first season with us (signed towards the end of the season as I recall).

Rather like a Micky Evans, came in did a job for for a while then fell back down the leagues.

Edited by Badger

Clue, he was suspended for one. Which, I think is the original point.

We played them in the cup that year too though that’s all - I don’t remember a stand out bad performance as such, and if it hadn’t have been for crouch we’d have been dead and buried long before that last game.

We played them in the cup that year too though that’s all - I don’t remember a stand out bad performance as such, and if it hadn’t have been for crouch we’d have been dead and buried long before that last game.

I think he means Crouch's stupid sending off at Palace which ruled him out last day against MU. Mind you, scoring goals wasn't the problem that season - we had Beattie, Phillips, Crouch and Camara at various points scoring - but the appalling defence. I mean it was worse than the current one and that's going some. Jakobsson made Vestergaard look like Bobby Moore and Olivier Bernard made Bertrand even on one of Ryan's off games look like Roberto Carlos. As for Callum Davenport...worst player I've ever seen in the first team at SFC, you could see the dread in the rest of the side when he appeared.

Mane away at Sheffield United in the league cup seems to have slipped under the radar

Not sure he was particularly worse than anyone else that night. The whole team were so bad that if it came out we'd lost on purpose because of some massive far Eastern betting scam I wouldn't have been surprised.